PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Template] PC Race Hybrid Template [PEACH]

Xuldarinar
2013-10-10, 10:12 PM
CREATING A RACE HYBRID
The following is an inherited template that can be used to combine any two races. Simply take any races and plug them in. For the best results, use two player character races of the same level adjustment.

Size: If the same, keep the same. If different by one step, use either. If different by two steps or more, average. If different by more than 2, but of an odd number, average then use either middle result.
Type: If both are same, keep the same. If they are different, use the highest value of the following.
1: Animal, Humanoid, Vermin
2: Magical Beast, Monsterous Humanoid
3: Fey, Giant
4: Dragon, Humanoid (Shapechanger)
5: Aberration
6: Elemental, Ooze, Plant
7: Construct, Outsider, Undead
Example: If one parent is a giant, and the other is a humanoid, the resulting hybrid is a giant for the purposes of type.
Subtypes: Only keep shared subtypes.
Exceptions: (Living Construct, Native, Shapechanger)
Racial Hit Die: Average, rounded up as necessary. This must result in a whole number (including 0), unless one or both parent races do not have whole racial hit die.
Ability Score Modifiers: Average. Subtract 1 from odd numbered scores. If there are more than 2 negative odd numbered scores, for every 2, add 1 point to any negative prior to evening out scores. If there is no positive, remove any one negative ≥ -2
Speed: Average between the two.
Vision: Keep all types between both creatures. For types of vision that list ranges, like darkvision, average the distance (If only one side has it, then the resulting creature has it at half the range).
Immunities and resistances: keep from both parents
Natural Armor: average
Natural Weapons: The resulting creature gains the natural weapons of both
Other Racial traits: Drop from both sides unless any are shared. Spell like abilities, if held by both sides, have shared uses
Example: if one parent can use Darkness 1/day, and the other can use Daylight 1/day, the hybrid may use Darkness or Daylight 1/day
Exception: in cases of creatures with a level adjustment. Compile a list of the abilities of both creatures that fall under this category that would be otherwise removed. Select a number of them equal to the averaged LA of the resulting creature. Traits with ranks, such as regeneration, cost one LA point per rank up to the maximum of that of one of the base creatures. If both share a trait but of different ranks, take the average.

Blood: The resulting race gains the Blood traits associated with parents (Elf Blood, Orc Blood, ect.)
Racial skill bonuses: Divide all by two and add together.
Languages and bonus languages: Add together, in most cases.
Favored Class: Use the favored class of either
Level Adjustment: Average**

**Note: This template is not quite ready to properly handle differing level adjustments. You may use it as such but the results will vary. In cases where the average is not a whole number, typically round down at least for the purposes of trait selection, listed above.

inuyasha
2013-10-11, 02:17 PM
Its back! Mind if I post some hybrids?

inuyasha
2013-10-11, 02:34 PM
A horrid combination of Ogre and Troglodyte, it appears to be either a larger than average troglodyte, or a slightly small ogre with a troglodyte head, bony plates covered in brown scales, and a lumbering gait. They are rejected as weaklings by ogres, but are worshipped as godly beings by troglodytes and are often found ruling them

Trogre racial traits:
Medium sized: although fairly tall, a trogre is considered medium
+4 Str, -2 dex +4 con -2 int -2 cha
A trogres base land speed is 30ft.

Powerful build (Ex)
The physical stature of Trogre lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a Trogre is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Trogre is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A Trogre is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A Trogre can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Musk (Ex)
When a trogre is angry or frightened, it secretes an oily, musk-like chemical that nearly every form of animal life finds offensive. All living creatures (except troglodytes and Trogres) within 30 feet of a trogre must succeed on a Fortitude save or be sickened for 10 rounds. The save DC is Constitution-based. Creatures that successfully save cannot be affected by the same trogres stench for 24 hours. A delay poison or neutralize poison spell removes the effect from the sickened creature. Creatures with immunity to poison are unaffected, and creatures resistant to poison receive their normal bonus on their saving throws.

LA +3

Xuldarinar
2013-10-11, 03:34 PM
Its back! Mind if I post some hybrids?

I figured i'd be hearing from you eventually. I don't mind at all, in fact I encourage it.

Well, Trogers look pleasant.

Tetrys
2013-10-12, 03:16 PM
Vision could probably benefit from some elaboration. As it is currently stated, I could make the argument that if both parents have Darkvision 60, the offspring has Darkvision 120.

Alternatively, it could mean that the offspring inherits all types of vision that each parent has. Example: One parent has Darkvision X, while the other has Low-Light Vision. The offspring boasts both Darkvision X and Low-Light Vision.

Finally, what occurs if you have a situation wherein both parents have identical vision types, but not identical ranges (One with Darkvision 60, one with Darkvision 30)? Would it follow the trend and average out (Darkvision 45)?

Other than that, this looks pretty good. :smallsmile: I could see some nonsense occurring with level adjustments, but as you said, it's not quite ready to handle that.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-12, 03:52 PM
Vision could probably benefit from some elaboration. As it is currently stated, I could make the argument that if both parents have Darkvision 60, the offspring has Darkvision 120.

Alternatively, it could mean that the offspring inherits all types of vision that each parent has. Example: One parent has Darkvision X, while the other has Low-Light Vision. The offspring boasts both Darkvision X and Low-Light Vision.

Finally, what occurs if you have a situation wherein both parents have identical vision types, but not identical ranges (One with Darkvision 60, one with Darkvision 30)? Would it follow the trend and average out (Darkvision 45)?

Other than that, this looks pretty good. :smallsmile: I could see some nonsense occurring with level adjustments, but as you said, it's not quite ready to handle that.

Thank you. When I am at my books next I'll look over them and refine the rules regarding vision. Im glad it looks good otherwise, I had tried my best to come up with a balanced template for mixing races. Im glad its not hard to thell why I recomend against using differing LAs. You can do it, and there are rules for it, but LAs and RHD complicate the issue.

Edit: I've made it so you keep all types between the creatures, however vision types that designate ranges are averaged. If one side has low-light vision and the other has darkvision 60ft, the resulting creature has low-light vision and darkvision 30ft. Its not perfect but it is more clear.

gurgleflep
2013-10-12, 09:05 PM
What are we meant to do for racial proficiency for races such as the drow?

Xuldarinar
2013-10-12, 09:27 PM
What are we meant to do for racial proficiency for races such as the drow?

That is an interesting question, one i had not considered.

Considering the fact that most if not all racial proficiencies are a product of nuture and not nature, then it should be a matter of to socioty the resulting creature is raised in. As for strictly the purposes of the template.. im not sure.

gurgleflep
2013-10-13, 12:05 AM
That is an interesting question, one i had not considered.

Considering the fact that most if not all racial proficiencies are a product of nuture and not nature, then it should be a matter of to socioty the resulting creature is raised in. As for strictly the purposes of the template.. im not sure.

Okay, thanks for the quick reply :smallsmile:

I've made something - it's an orc/drow (henceforth to be called the Orow)

Orow

OotS styled orow picture by me :smallsmile:

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/219/0/2/orow_family___oots__updated__by_bobbobbbbob-d6h5kwe.png

Orow are the result of magical cross-breeding by the drow combining the best of the both races into the perfect front-line combatant. Strong and not all that bright, they are obedient to their slavers and owners because of fear; Those who acquire the chance will often escape and swear a vendetta against the drow elves who bith created and enslaved them. Being a hybrid of two much-hated races, they rarely find allies and are often killed on site.
Orow are able to reproduce by regular means and those who escape often do so with their own kind.

Physical description: Only slightly shorter than the average human, orow have a slightly hunched posture, lanky arms, and a muscular body. Like their orc brethren they also have prominent tusks - their ears resemble that of the drow. Their skin color is usually a dark greenish-gray, but it can be anywhere from green to brown to black. The orow's eyes are usually red, but can be yellow, violet, green, or black as well. Orow are unable to grow body hair but what hair they do get is white.

Orow character stats:
Ability score modifiers: +2 STR, -2 WIS
Base land speed: 30 feet (six squares)
Darkvision: 90 feet.
Spell resistance: Spell resistance is equal to 11 + class level
Immunities: Immune to sleep, gain +2 on will saves against spells, spell-like abilities, and enchantment effects of other sorts.
Blood: As a hybrid of an orc and a drow, an orow gains benefits of being both an orc and an elf.
Light sensitivity: Orow are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
Automatic languages: Orc or Elven and Undercommon.
Bonus languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Common, Draconic, Drow Sign, Dwarven, Giant, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin.
Favored class: Barbarian.
Level Adjustment: +1

Mithril Leaf
2013-10-13, 08:23 PM
What should we do with parents that have different movement methods? Swimmers and fliers and such.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-13, 08:28 PM
What should we do with parents that have different movement methods? Swimmers and fliers and such.

Well, lets say for the sake of simplicity, one parent race has a fly speed of 30ft. and the other has a swim speed of 30ft, neither having both.

You still do averages, but they have multiple modes of movement. In this case the resulting creature would have a fly speed of 15 ft, and a swim speed of 15 ft

I could always refine the rules on that, but as it stands that is how it is.

Mithril Leaf
2013-10-15, 12:20 AM
How do you plan on handling parents having templates? That's a fairly important part of genetics in D&D.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-15, 01:38 AM
How do you plan on handling parents having templates? That's a fairly important part of genetics in D&D.

If a parent has a template, unless there is a precedent, have the template's adjustments treated as part of the race for the purpose of making the hybrid.

For example, and quite easily, someone could mix a fiendish elf with a drow. In that case, you do not treat the fiendish template as a separate thing for racial traits from the elf's racial traits.

Xuldarinar
2013-10-15, 03:12 AM
Due to having taken a recent interest in the shadar-kai, I've decided to make a dilute hybrid of them.

G1
-|Shadar-Kai|High Elf|"Shadar-Elf"
Size|Medium|Medium|Medium
Type|Fey|Humanoid|Fey
Subtypes|Extraplanar|Elf|-
RHD|3|0|2
Modifiers|+6 Dex, -2 Cha|+2 Dex, -2 Con|+4 Dex, -2 Cha
Speed|30ft|30ft|30ft
Vision|S. Low-Light|Low-Light|S. Low-Light
Immunities/Resistances|-|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment
Other Racial Traits|Sneak Attack, Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse|Search Secret Doors 5ft|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse, Elf Blood, Shadar-Kai Blood
Skill Bonuses|+10 Hide|+2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot|+5 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Search, +1 Spot
Languages|Common, Elven, Sylvan|Common, Elven|Common, Elven, Sylvan
Favored Class|Rogue|Wizard|Rogue or Wizard
LA|+1|+0|+1

G2
-|"Shadar-Elf"|High Elf|"Lesser Shadar-Elf"
Type|Fey|Humanoid|Fey
Subtypes|-|Elf|-
RHD|2|0|1
Modifiers|+4 Dex, -2 Cha|+2 Dex, -2 Con|+2 Dex, -2 Cha
Speed|30ft|30ft|30ft
Immunities/Resistances|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment
Other Racial Traits|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse, Elf Blood, Shadar-Kai Blood|Search Secret Doors 5ft|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse, Elf Blood, Shadar-Kai Blood
Skill Bonuses|+5 Hide, +1 Listen, +1 Search, +1 Spot|+2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot|+3 Hide, +2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot
Favored Class|Rogue or Wizard|Wizard|Rogue or Wizard
LA|+1|+0|+1

G3
-|"Lesser Shadar-Elf"|High Elf|"Least Shadar-Elf"
Type|Fey|Humanoid|Fey
Subtypes|-|Elf|-
RHD|1|0|0
Modifiers|+2 Dex, -2 Cha|+2 Dex, -2 Con|+2 Dex, -2 Cha
Speed|30ft|30ft|30ft
Immunities/Resistances|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment|Immunity Magic Sleep, +2 saving throws vs Enchantment
Other Racial Traits|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse, Elf Blood, Shadar-Kai Blood|Search Secret Doors 5ft|Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Curse, Elf Blood, Shadar-Kai Blood
Skill Bonuses|+2 Hide, +2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot|+2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot|+2 Hide, +2 Listen, +2 Search, +2 Spot
Favored Class|Rogue or Wizard|Wizard|Rogue or Wizard
LA|+1|+0|+0

Shadow-Scarred Elf [(Shadar-kai/Elf)/Elf]/Elf
Lithe and bearing countless self-inflicted wounds, shadow-scarred elves are the cursed decedents of shader-kai and elves.

+2 Dex, -2 Cha: Shadow-Scarred elves are as nimble as their mundane counterparts, but like their cursed ancestors find themselves distant and much of their world is muted to them.
Medium: As Medium creatures, shadow-scarred elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size
Fey: As fey, dilute as they are, shadow-scarred elves are immune to effects that specifically target humanoids, such as the charm person spell.
Shadow-scarred elf base land speed is 30 feet.
Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
Superior Low-Light Vision: A shadow-scarred elf have extraordinary vision in low-light conditions. They Can see four times as far as a human in low-light conditions.
Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Shadow-scarred elves can use the Hide skill even wile being observed. As long as they are not illuminated by natural daylight, the daylight spell, or a similar magical effect, shadow-scarred elves can hide themselves from view in the open without having anything to actually hide behind.
Shadow Curse (Su): Cursed like their ancestors, the plane of shadow extorts a tremendous pull on a shadow-scarred elf's soul, which is only tenuously connected to their mortal body. Any time a shadow-scarred elf is stunned, dazed, staggered, or unconscious (other than from natural sleep), the shadow-scarred elf must make a Will save (DC 15) or lose a portion of their soul to the Plane of Shadow. The shadow-scarred elf must also attempt a save any time they remove a gal-ralan, if they have one.
A shadow-scarred elf with a damaged soul gains one negative level that cannot be removed until they restore their soul completely. If exposed to another event that requires a save against the shadow curse, a shadow-scarred elf may gain additional negative levels. A shadow-scarred elf on the Plane of Shadow can transfix their soul to their body again with a greater restoration spell. A shadow-scarred elf on any other plane must use a wish or miracle spell to restore their soul.
A shadow-scarred elf afflicted with the shadow curse cannot be raised from the dead or resurrected and cannot gain experience. The touch of the shadow curse galls a shadow-scarred elf, filling their heart with an icy emptiness that eventually drives all but the most determined individuals to capitulate and leave the Material Plane altogether.
A shadow-scarred elf who goes to the Plane of Shadow and remains there ameliorates the effects of the shadow curse and suffers no ill effects. However, if they leave the Plane of Shadow without restoring their soul, they suffer the effects of the shadow curse until they return to the Plane of Shadow or restore their soul.
+2 racial bonus on hide checks made in dark or shadowy conditions. Shadow-scarred elves, while not as stealthy as their ancestors, shadows are still drawn to them, helping to conceal them.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. Unlike full-blooded elves, shadow-scarred elves does not have the ability to notice secret doors simply by passing near them.
Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
Favored Class(es): Rogue or Wizard. A multiclass shadow-scarred elf's may choose for their rogue or wizard class, but not both, to not count when determining whether they take an experience point penalty for multiclassing. Both wizardry and stealth come naturally to shadow-scarred elves. Many follow either of these paths, the path of shadow magic (Shadowcaster), or choose to combine their favored disciplines (Beguiler or Spellthief).

inuyasha
2013-10-16, 08:26 AM
That's awesome! I love the shadow scarred elf!

inuyasha
2013-10-16, 09:31 AM
One day, while chasing a group of drow, a tribe of orcs wandered underground and got a little Ahem "friendly", and the next morning, Grimlorks were running around the caverns, who knew they reproduced so fast!
-|Grimlock|Orc|Grimlork
Size|medium|medium|medium
Type|Monst.humanoid|humanoid|monst.humanoid
Subtypes|-|-|-
RHD|2|0|1
Modifiers|+4 str, +2 dex, +2 con, -2 wis, -4 cha|+4 str -2 int -2 wis -2 cha| +4 str, -2 wis, -2 cha
Speed|30|30|30
Vision|Blindsight 40ft|Darkvision 60ft|Blindsight 20ft darkvision 30ft.
Immunities/Resistances|Immune to gaze attacks|-|+4 vs. gaze attacks
Other racial traits||||
Skill Bonuses|+10 hide when underground||+5 hide underground
Languages|Common, Grimlock|Orcish, common|common, orcish, grimlock
Favored Class|Barbarian|Barbarian|Barbarian
LA|+2|+0|+1

Xuldarinar
2013-10-16, 02:33 PM
That's awesome! I love the shadow scarred elf!

Im glad you like it. I felt like making a more accessible shadar-kai, and while it suffers major problem, especially at 1st level, it is nothing that cannot be overcome. When above 1st level, one of the 1st items that should be acquired is a gal-ralan.

-Snip-
I look forward to seeing what you come up with, fluff included.

inuyasha
2013-10-16, 04:53 PM
Finished the grimlork, yes I broke the template a little, but I mostly used it, and used a little bit of common sense :)

Xuldarinar
2013-10-16, 05:03 PM
Finished the grimlork, yes I broke the template a little, but I mostly used it, and used a little bit of common sense :)

Well, for the most part the template is to be used as a base line. The result of course can be flexible, pending upon an individual's common sense and desires.

Mithril Leaf
2013-10-17, 01:13 PM
Assuming there is a magical reproduction Warforged part and dragon magazine is allowed, here's a fun little race to play a Psion with.

-|(+0 LA) Primordeal Arctic Half-Giant|Warforged|Giantforged
Size|medium|medium|medium
Type|Giant| Construct |Construct
Subtypes|-|Living Construct|Living Construct
RHD|0|0|0
Modifiers|-4 Str, -2 Dex,+2 Con, +4 Int, +2 Cha|+2 Con, -2 Wis, -2 Cha|-2 Str, -2 Dex, +2 Con, +2 Int
Speed|30|30|30
Vision|Low Light Vision|-|Low Light Vision
Immunities/Resistances|+2 bonus on saves vs. fire|Living Construct|+2 bonus on saves vs. fire, Living Construct
Other racial traits||||
Skill Bonuses|+2 to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device||+1 to Spellcraft and Use Magic Device
Languages|Common|Common|Common
Favored Class|Psychic Warrior, Warlock|Fighter|Psion (breaking the rules!)
LA|+0|+0|+0