PDA

View Full Version : Miko Fan Art

Adrius
2007-01-01, 08:25 AM
I could easily spout several paragraphs about the choices I made while drawing this over the past two (solid) days.. so if anyone wants me to.. :p

Tell me what you think :)

(was done natively in 1280x1024 so everything else is a scale-down FYI)

(800x600 (http://shinyblinkythings.com/ashen/Miko800.jpg))

(1024x768 (http://shinyblinkythings.com/ashen/Miko1024.jpg))

(1280x1024 (http://shinyblinkythings.com/ashen/Miko1280.jpg))

EDIT: I managed to cut her foot off.. fixed!

Dragor
2007-01-01, 10:36 AM
I like it. :smallbiggrin: Not much else to be said, really. But yes, I like it.

the_tick_rules
2007-01-01, 11:41 AM
well done. Though the stuff on her forearms and knees looks kinda space-age like.

theKOT
2007-01-01, 01:11 PM
Only one real problem: Her hair. In the comic it is wider, longer, and messier than it is in your drawing. Other than that it is pretty good though.

Duraska
2007-01-01, 01:14 PM
That looks awesome! I love it!

Adrius
2007-01-01, 02:34 PM
well done. Though the stuff on her forearms and knees looks kinda space-age like.Actually I thought it looked pseudo-asian, but hey, we see what we see eh? :p

There is in fact, a hidden symbolism in there.. which I will leave up to people to figure out unless you bug me about it enough :p

Anyhow, the basic idea behind the way the armor looks is this:

Miko is pretty high level. Miko gets sent on really long missions to really far away places all the time (cause no one wants to be around her). Miko fights a LOT. The idea was that while she would keep the general motif of the Sapphire Guard, with the above three conditions, she would have pieces of her armor broken off or damaged often enough to have to replace them with what she could. So it's really supposed to be like her personal armor that has been damaged, broken and repaired over her years as a paladin.

Only one real problem: Her hair. In the comic it is wider, longer, and messier than it is in your drawing. Other than that it is pretty good though.

I agree to an extent. I'm a writer first, "drawer" second. This was extremely difficult and there are a couple things that are off to me that I would only foul up by messing with :p

anyways, thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it :)

WarDragon
2007-01-01, 03:48 PM
Very nice. I just assumed her armor was magical, instead of "space-agey." Now, I can finally tell what Roy saw in her at first.

Adrius
2007-01-01, 04:19 PM
Very nice. I just assumed her armor was magical, instead of "space-agey." Now, I can finally tell what Roy saw in her at first.
Thanks, glad you like it.. lots of hard work. :)

As a side note, I've gone under the assumption that although I was highly restricted by the original art, Miko does indeed have some kind of armor under that shirt/tunic of hers.. that's a big reason I decided to have the bottom part sort of a "leather skirt" with a split showing armor underneath :p

TigerHunter
2007-01-01, 04:56 PM
Nice. Only complaint I really have is the armor--if you were going for various types of armor thrown together to replace broken ones, I'd assume that there'd be overlapping pieces rather than patches of bare skin--having exposed areas kind of defeats the purpose of armor.
Although this way does explain Roy's initial attraction to her.

Adrius
2007-01-01, 05:48 PM
Although this way does explain Roy's initial attraction to her.Definitely a big part of it hehe.

Long Winded Explanation (tm) (I'm starting to annoy myself with my incessant inner need to explain all this, but all this stuff went through my mind while making her and it's bursting to get out heh): Anyways, look at Haley's armor, the same logic would easily apply to her :p Yes, I know Haley really isn't supposed to be in melee though :p Miko is a multi-class monk/paladin. I don't play D&D (though I'd like to lol, no one to play with here :p), but from what I understand she would have pretty decent capability to evade attack as it is right? I think this was shown pretty profusely in the comic but I could be wrong. I figured since armor gives an overall AC bonus, she would be fine :p

In other words, she's enough of a badass to compensate hehe!

As a note, I'm not really on the defense because I do agree with you at least from one point of view. I was strongly considering saying all this (all the information I've been spewing) in the first post, but refrained, which is why I put that note about anyone wanting to hear it.. oh boy I don't think I was actually asked. :p Luckily, I think I've covered basically all of it now.

<3

TinSoldier
2007-01-01, 06:49 PM
That's sweet!

Grey Watcher
2007-01-01, 07:25 PM
I think it would be more plausible that her armor was suffering from wear and tear if there were other signs of damage on the intact parts, but still it's very good!

Adrius
2007-01-01, 07:54 PM
I think it would be more plausible that her armor was suffering from wear and tear if there were other signs of damage on the intact parts, but still it's very good!Thought about it, knew I wouldn't be able to make it look right :|

danielf
2007-01-01, 08:22 PM
very good, i like to see others drawn styles of the characters

Axl_Rose
2007-02-03, 05:35 PM
Seems a little futuristic to me =/

MaxAtkins
2007-02-06, 08:51 PM
well done. Though the stuff on her forearms and knees looks kinda space-age like.

Agreed, it looks nice though!

Old One
2007-02-07, 02:15 PM
It's very nice... but like some others have observed it's a bit futuristic looking. But very nice... her hair could be messier! :smallwink:

NeonRonin
2007-03-29, 07:18 AM
Very nice piece of art. I've had my own ideas about how to draw Miko; this is a bit different from how I envisioned her but still very good.

For some reason, it keeps reminding me of KOS-MOS from the Xenosaga games... hm. Buttkicking paladin, buttkicking android... there are some similarities, not to mention the pale blue theme...

Or maybe my brain's off on another random tangent.

ocato
2007-03-30, 10:46 AM
hah, I love these comments

"Tassle her hair! Rip her skirt!"

But seriously, I like the picture as well, though I must hop on the too sci-fi thought, it is still a hundren times better than any of my fan art. Granted I have a funny opinion about OOTS appearances. I'm part of the vast minority that liked Elan's old clothes better...

*hides* Spoony bard powers away!

Adrius
2007-05-01, 08:14 PM
You spoony bard!

I'm glad people like it. I dunno, it was never my intention for it to look sci-fi but hey, what can ya do :p

Anyways I do have a hidden element in there. The armor pieces on her upper body have exactly 12 protrusions, as do the armor pieces on her lower body. I did it to symbolize the 12 gods she worships.

tensen01
2007-05-01, 10:56 PM
Not bad, I like the design choices with the costume.

Pretty solid anatomy as well.

Well done :)

tensen

Copacetic
2007-05-02, 03:06 PM
Very good, Though I hate the character.

Elliot Kane
2007-05-12, 09:08 AM
Really cool :)

Rincewind
2007-06-06, 02:42 AM
[QUOTE=Adrius;1763074
Tell me what you think :)
[/QUOTE]

I.... You... We... They... Uh...

Those boobs are too big for a monk. This chick jumps around you know... I always pictured Miko %100 flat-chested.

Desilva
2007-06-06, 10:30 AM
I.... You... We... They... Uh...

Those boobs are too big for a monk. This chick jumps around you know... I always pictured Miko %100 flat-chested.

She's Asian, a female, and a somewhat major character in a work of fiction. She's chesty. Nevermind the physics.

SteveMB
2007-06-06, 10:35 AM
She's Asian, a female, and a somewhat major character in a work of fiction. She's chesty. Nevermind the physics.

And, within the limits of the stick-figure art Rich uses for OotS, Miko looks to be about as well-endowed as Haley or any of the other obviously female characters we've seen. (Admittedly, those limits seem to limit cleavage to a binary function: a character either has it, or not.)

ObadiahtheSlim
2007-06-07, 07:19 AM

and proficient with martial arts and could at one point cast magical spells. She almost has to be well endowed, its like a law of physics.

Adrius
2007-06-09, 01:55 PM
Actually.. I thought they were too big too :p

Unfortunately, I'm not so good at drawing, it took me days of utter patience to compensate for my general lack of skill. When I realized how chesty she was, I played around with them (oh.. not like that) to see if I could make them smaller but I couldn't make them look right, so I just gave up, decided to leave well enough alone :p

Rama_Lei
2007-06-09, 02:04 PM
Now come the best part of being an artist: critiquing works far better than you are capable of!

Only a few minor details really. Her hair is a little short, and since the cloak is blowing, give her hair a little breeze as well.

Also, the legs are too big. Standard body proportion is 6 or so heads.

Also, the art is too good. Try making one arm too long, or being lazy and not drawing incredible clothing.