PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder alternate world of Peanuts

kevin_video
2013-10-11, 12:28 AM
So, good idea or bad idea for a concept?

So a few friends, and a few of their friends, have kind of been hurting for a game for quite some time. Between work, school, weddings, baby showers, and just life in general, most of us haven't had time for any kind of gaming. Not that anyone's not trying to fit it in (I've been successful in that respect). The main issue is getting enough people together. However, we're hoping to get together before Halloween. And if that's possible, I've got a crazy idea. Inspired by Penny Arcade and their version of A Christmas Carol (http://penny-arcade.com/2011/12/30/christmas-eve-dd) I've decided to try my hand at "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown". The main difference is instead of helping the main characters of the story, they ARE the main characters of the story. Well, alternate versions of them in an alternate Pathfinder world.

After getting this pdf in my inbox for helping with a Kickstarter Pumpkin Golem (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8w0k?) I'd been trying desperately to figure out just where I'd put such a creature. Then last night at work, it came to me.

The main story will revolve around Lionel (Linus) who has heard of this great being with a pumpkin for a head that, once a year, delivers present to good children. However, that will be nothing more than the equivalent to a game of Telephone. An half-fiend efreeti (CR 10) has gone and placed rumours throughout the land in order to trick people into coming for fiendish wishes. When the PCs have finally arrived, a few years have passed, and the efreeti has already managed to gather and perform sacrifices. The pumpkin construct is merely for show. It is he, himself, who grants the wishes.

The PCs will be Charlie Brown (dwarf fighter) and Snoopy (bonded pet), Linus van Pelt (half-elf paladin), Lucy van Pelt (half-drow rogue), Pig-Pen (oread druid w/Earth domain), Sally Brown (half-dwarf cleric), Schroeder (human bard), Marcie (human arcane blooded sorcerer) and Woodstock (bird familiar), and Peppermint Patty (half-orc monk). Since they're the standard group you see in the show, it made sense to have them. Also, I'd change their names up a bit. Wouldn't want the players to figure out what I'm doing.

This isn't to say that all eight PCs will be used. Just want to make sure everyone's got a character if need be. There's supposed to be 7-8 people interested in gaming.

I think 6th level is more than sufficient for their numbers. The half-fiend efreeti is CR 10 and the pumpkin golem is CR 8.

For names, I've only come up with Khuckston Brownstone and Nebby, Lionel Pelage, Lucielle Pelage, Sattek Brownstone, Shoat Corral, Marcia, and Mentha Pakgu. Still needing names for Woodstock (could go with Woody I suppose) and Schroeder.

The Oni
2013-10-11, 03:36 AM
Hilarious.

Just one suggestion: why not have Charlie be a Mad Dog Barbarian? He could get Snoopy as an animal companion; plus he DOES get pretty mad when he can't kick that football.

kevin_video
2013-10-11, 04:03 AM
Hilarious.

Just one suggestion: why not have Charlie be a Mad Dog Barbarian? He could get Snoopy as an animal companion; plus he DOES get pretty mad when he can't kick that football.
I thought about that, but for the most part, Charlie Brown's fairly LG in a lot of ways. I'd even considered making him the paladin. However, he has gotten revenge on Lucy for the football pranks so that could change it to CG, making it perfect for a barbarian who can't be lawful. But yeah, Lucy's the rogue for a reason. High, HIGH levels of bluff. You know, you can trust her to hold that football.

EDIT: There's also a flaw in a 3PP Dwarf book that makes dwarves bald and beardless. Figured that'd be perfect for Chuck as well.

Slipperychicken
2013-10-11, 09:56 AM
Linus' Divine Focus is his blanket, obviously.

Charlie Brown needs to have a negative Hide modifier. Also a bizarre zig-zag design on his garment.

Woodstock could be named Timberstack?

kevin_video
2013-10-11, 10:59 AM

Charlie Brown needs to have a negative Hide modifier. Also a bizarre zig-zag design on his garment.

I was thinking of turning the blanket into a bladed scarf, or something like that.

Joe the Rat
2013-10-11, 11:18 AM

Woodstock ought to be something like Yasgur or Bethel. For a festive reverse-reference. Or is that too obscure?

If someone takes Schoeder, they'll probably pitch a fit at whichever instrument you saddle them with. Dulcimer, Harpsichord, some manner of Concertina...
mmm, just call him Ludwig.

The Oni
2013-10-11, 04:40 PM
Give Schroeder a keytar so he has a portable set of keys to play on. If that seems unrealistic, make him a gnome, I'm sure a PF gnome could invent a keytar.

Slipperychicken
2013-10-11, 04:42 PM
mmm, just call him Ludwig.

Wolfgang (Mozart)? Franz (Haydn)? Johann (Strauss)? Edvard (Grieg)? Richard (Wagner)?

Whatever instrument he uses should be able to play the Peanuts Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKkaydihNTM). Maybe he gets a magic-powered keyboard, with a strap so it can be held like a guitar? And it has a bayonet and/or axe-head on it, so he can contribute in combat.

kevin_video
2013-10-12, 12:49 AM
Give Schroeder a keytar so he has a portable set of keys to play on.
That's actually exactly what I was going to give him.

The Fury
2013-10-12, 01:20 PM
I was thinking of turning the blanket into a bladed scarf, or something like that.

Naw, that kind of defeats its purpose as a comfort object. Though as the real Linus demonstrated it can be used as a crazy-effective sling!

Also, going by how things are built-- Charlie and Sally are half-siblings in this version? I guess Lucy and Linus would have to be too now that I'm looking at the list again.

Sergeantbrother
2013-10-12, 03:21 PM
Now that Linus can detect evil, is he obligated to smite his sister?

kevin_video
2013-10-13, 02:33 AM
Naw, that kind of defeats its purpose as a comfort object. Though as the real Linus demonstrated it can be used as a crazy-effective sling!

Also, going by how things are built-- Charlie and Sally are half-siblings in this version? I guess Lucy and Linus would have to be too now that I'm looking at the list again.
Maybe steal from 3.5 and make it a cloak of comfort.

I put it there as kind of a joke. Sally has blonde hair while Charlie is bald, and Linus has brown hair while Lucy has jet black.

Now that Linus can detect evil, is he obligated to smite his sister?
lol Only if she's evil. I'm making her CN with evil tendencies.

The Fury
2013-10-13, 01:19 PM
Maybe steal from 3.5 and make it a cloak of comfort.

I put it there as kind of a joke. Sally has blonde hair while Charlie is bald, and Linus has brown hair while Lucy has jet black.

Actually if you want a dumb bit of cartoon trivia; The reason Charlie Brown is bald? His dad is the town barber. It's true!

kevin_video
2013-10-13, 05:57 PM
Actually if you want a dumb bit of cartoon trivia; The reason Charlie Brown is bald? His dad is the town barber. It's true!
I can't believe I said "still" instead of "steal". But no, I had no idea about that. That explains a lot, actually.

The Fury
2013-10-13, 06:16 PM
I can't believe I said "still" instead of "steal". But no, I had no idea about that. That explains a lot, actually.

I went ahead and fixed the spelling in the quote too. But yeah, the barber thing only came up in some of the older strips. I remember learning that from some old strips and thinking it was hilarious.

Psyren
2013-10-14, 10:29 PM
So the town barber can't actually cut hair well? Or is he just trolling his son into slow insanity?

Either way I think this is a fun idea for a one-shot. (The pumpkin golem thing, not the trolling your son thing.)

kevin_video
2013-10-14, 11:40 PM
So the town barber can't actually cut hair well? Or is he just trolling his son into slow insanity?

Either way I think this is a fun idea for a one-shot. (The pumpkin golem thing, not the trolling your son thing.)
Apparently. Maybe that's where "Good Grief" came from. His dad got carried away, and Chuck grows his hair incredibly slowly?

lol Love that you made sure to clarify which one you were referring to.

And yes, I'm very much hopeful that I get to run this.

kevin_video
2013-10-31, 02:03 PM
Unfortunately, we weren't able to play this before Halloween. :smallfrown:

The Fury
2013-10-31, 02:16 PM

One of my friends had a theory that it was a play on the expression "The cobbler's children have no shoes," Or in this case "The barber's son has no hair."
But then again this is Charlie Brown we're talking about-- both of your interpretations make a lot of sense too.

Unfortunately, we weren't able to play this before Halloween. :smallfrown:

Aw, that's too bad. But hey, I sometimes watch "It's Great Pumpkin" in November. I think it'd still be cool if you can manage it before Thanksgiving. If not, you'll have to do another Peanuts story. You can always save this idea for next year too.

kevin_video
2013-10-31, 02:28 PM
Aw, that's too bad. But hey, I sometimes watch "It's Great Pumpkin" in November. I think it'd still be cool if you can manage it before Thanksgiving. If not, you'll have to do another Peanuts story. You can always save this idea for next year too.
Canada's Thanksgiving was a couple of weeks ago, but I suppose we could still do it a little later. If it turns out that it has to wait until next year, so be it. :smallsigh:

Mewtarthio
2013-10-31, 02:45 PM
Canada's Thanksgiving was a couple of weeks ago,

So set the game in the States, then. :smallamused:

SouthpawSoldier
2013-10-31, 03:18 PM
How about the idea of casting Marcy and Patty as an Ettin; one head always referring to the other as "sir". Not a PC, but may be a fun NPC.