PDA

View Full Version : how about the blighter as a villain?

blelliot
2013-10-11, 06:22 AM
I've seen many people knock the blighter from complete divine. What is the concensus of the prc as a villain? I've got an idea to make a half orc ex druid 6/ blighter 10 as a mid campaign villain who's actually dominated by a vampire lord that is using him as a tool of destruction and fear in order to scare people into his(the vampire's) island of peace/ feeding pit. Any thoughts on this idea?

rockdeworld
2013-10-11, 01:55 PM
What level of optimization are you going for? And what levels are the party? If it's a low-op group of level 13's, that build will slaughter them. If it's a high-op group of level 13's, that build will get slaughtered.

I would probably get rid of the Half-Orc and 6 druid levels though, they're just slowing you down. I like the idea of Warforged (with Adamantine Body, because screw druid casting) Druid 1/Favored Soul 6/Blighter X with Heighten Spell and Versatile Spellcaster. Give him enough blighter levels to cast the same spell levels the party can (assuming at least one of them is a full-caster, so 4 levels of blighter if they have a 7th level wizard). He'll have high HP and saves relative to the party, which are good for a boss character, and two sources of casting (also makes a viable entry for MT - edit: but only if you use a Dragonsblood Pool). This guide (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3571.0) also has tips.

As for flavor, I've always thought of a blighter more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XjsFILvnjQ). Running around and destroying wildlife everywhere just for the heck of it, causing famine and disease, and being a BMF the entire time. On that note, how would a druid cast Dominate Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dominateMonster.htm)? Instead of that, what if the blighter coerces the vampire lord and his spawn into serving him with the threat of bringing ruin to their homes? That sounds much more interesting from a plot perspective to me.

Rebel7284
2013-10-11, 02:22 PM
If you find ways of expanding his spell list, the blighter is pretty nice... rapid 9s is nothing to sneeze at. :)

Stegyre
2013-10-11, 02:59 PM
I would probably get rid of the Half-Orc and 6 druid levels though, they're just slowing you down.
While the DM can, of course, hand-wave any requirements, I suspect those levels are in the build because they are an explicit prerequisite for Blighter: "ex-druid previously capable of casting 3rd-level druid spells."

Favored Soul casts cleric spells, not druid. Consequently, anything prepared in an FS spell slot is necessarily a "cleric spell," not a druid spell, even if it appears on both spell lists. And even with Heighten Spell, I'm not seeing any shenanigans that would allow 1st-level druid casting to come up with a 3rd-level druid spell.

thethird
2013-10-11, 03:16 PM
The favored soul casts favored soul spells... not cleric spells. In the same way that a spirit shaman casts spirit shaman spells and not druid spells.

Also 2 divine classes cannot be theurged with mystic theurge...

Stegyre
2013-10-11, 03:53 PM
The favored soul casts favored soul spells... not cleric spells. In the same way that a spirit shaman casts spirit shaman spells and not druid spells.
Missing the point.

rockdeworld
2013-10-11, 07:15 PM
True, it's not a good entry for Mystic Theurge, my mistake - that would only be for sorcerer entry or if you use a Dragonsblood Pool.

SoraWolf7
2013-10-11, 07:54 PM
Well, the BBEG of my last campaign was a Blighter Wizard? Undead and a living mass of bugs called Legion. With his ability to control undead bugs, knowledge of the world, and magical abilities, he pretty much shut down everyone strong from the previous campaign either through corruption, control, or murder. I don't know his entire build or race or anything, but he was bad. He had amassed enough perma-buffs to make himself practically fireproof.

blelliot
2013-10-11, 08:08 PM
First off, the vampire dominated the druid,not vice versa. Second, the druid levels are thre for the blighter pre reqs. Finally, all I wnated was thoughts on the blighter as a villain idea, not any thoughts on optimization, or how to build a b etter one. Thanks.

AlanBruce
2013-10-12, 03:53 AM
Mechanics aside, it's good to write down the motives for a villain to be a villain.

Oddly enough, I am running a fey heavy arc with a blighter as a villain. He is not evil, but is insane and extremely chaotic. Driven to insanity by events related to the campaign, this Blighter was once a proud and noble druid protector, but in time, came to see everyone as traitors and conspirators.

Taking on the mantra that "Might makes Right", the blighter began rearranging the woods to better protect it (in this case, "protecting it" meant driving all the fey out).

The party has met him only once during their trek in the woods, but he doesn't taunt them- in fact, he wishes for them to prove his mantra right by going through deadly trials he has crafted over the centuries, hoping that at least one in the party will be worthy enough to challenge him and give him peace (the blighter was cursed with very long life and cannot be killed except through combat).

I portrayed him as overzealous, mad, delusional. Changing topics centered around him being betrayed and everyone coming to the woods to "despoil" it, when in fact, it is he who is burning the place down gradually.

His alignment is CN, leaning towards evil, definitely, but he will listen to the party and is willing to exchange point of views, but always with caution in their words, lest he snaps.