PDA

View Full Version : What's the best format for posting a build?

Coidzor
2013-10-11, 11:07 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, especially when it comes to sample builds for handbooks, reading Iron Chef entries, or trying to put various pieces of build together so I can look at how they interact without having to do it all in my head. None of the ways I've tried have really satisfied me, and I've not stumbled upon a format that's really grabbed me to try out in my trawling either.

So, what format do you favor?

Red Fel
2013-10-11, 11:16 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, especially when it comes to sample builds for handbooks, reading Iron Chef entries, or trying to put various pieces of build together so I can look at how they interact without having to do it all in my head. None of the ways I've tried have really satisfied me, and I've not stumbled upon a format that's really grabbed me to try out in my trawling either.

So, what format do you favor?

I've only done this once (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307217), so take that for what it is, but when I read a post with a build, I like several things.

1: Keep the crunch organized. The primary stuff - the level-by-level classes, spells/maneuvers/etc., and feats - should be in a nice, clean, easily read table. If you want to be especially detailed, you could break it out into multiple tables, but that might be excessive.

2: Explain the details. You often see this in Iron Chef threads - they have an explanation provided for different groups of levels. You also sometimes see people describing battle tactics to be used with the build, or desired equipment, or what-have-you. Posting the build is good, but be sure to tell people what you intended it for, and what you advise them to do with it.

3: Spoiler tags. This is optional, but I find it's a courtesy to let people choose which parts of your build they examine, rather than looking at a single massive post in one go.

This is just what works for me, and helps me when I'm reading. Of course, your mileage may vary.

John Longarrow
2013-10-11, 11:30 AM
For myself, a header with race/gender/stats first.

Level by level advancement - feats (reason for taking feat if needed)

As an example

Human male built to go into beguiler S10 D14 C14 I16 W14 X14

L1 - Beguiler(1) Max bluff, Spell focus (evil) and Iron Will (prereqs for Ur Priest)
L2 - Beguiler(2) Add to bluff (prereq)
''
''
L5 - Crusader(1) Drop all ranks into know (relig) to qual for Ur Priest.
L6 - Ur Priest (1)

NOTE: This is a partial sample. I may go back and redo to make it better when I've got my books handy.

Main points are to give a starting point and a level by level advancement with required feats/skills included. Also annotating what is taken for specific mechanical advantages and any required equipment/magic items.

rockdeworld
2013-10-12, 03:20 AM
Whatever is readable, clear, and understandable. And that varies among builds. These (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258580) are generally good examples. Of course, Algernon of the White Lillies's Favored Soul 4/War Weaver 5/Spellguard of Silverymoon 4/Sacred Exorcist 1/x build requires a bit more explanation than Jack B Quick (particularly how to allocate skill points to qualify for everything), and Pun-Pun requires more explanation still. I wouldn't use Iron Chef format unless the build was very specific.