PDA

View Full Version : Can these Feats work together?

Deca4531
2013-10-11, 11:34 AM
So while sifting through feats i came across 2 that looked interesting.

Spot weak point (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-scoundrel--60/spot-weak-point--3307/)

and

Quick Reconnoiter (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/quick-reconnoiter--2318/)

one lets your use your spot check to negate the targets armor bonus, and the other gives you 1 free spot check a round. due to the vague wording in these 2 feats its not clear to me if they will function together or not.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-11, 11:43 AM
Yeah, they seem to function just fine.

prufock
2013-10-11, 11:44 AM
Not sure about the RAW (spot is normally a move action when used actively, while Spot the Weak Point requires a standard), but I'd allow it. As a skill trick you're only normally getting StWP once per encounter, anyway.

malmblad
2013-10-11, 11:49 AM
Not sure about the RAW (spot is normally a move action when used actively, while Spot the Weak Point requires a standard), but I'd allow it. As a skill trick you're only normally getting StWP once per encounter, anyway.

Agreed, I don't know which feat would supersede the other for the action required. I'm leaning towards the standard action. But as a DM I'd allow it. It helps even things out with all those touch attacks spellcasters get.

Deca4531
2013-10-11, 11:56 AM
i always thought it was odd you couldn't convert actions like in some other editions, i think 4th ed you could but i dont remember. you can trade a standard action for a move action but not a move for a swift or a standard for 2 swift.

DR27
2013-10-11, 11:57 AM
Not sure about the RAW (spot is normally a move action when used actively, while Spot the Weak Point requires a standard), but I'd allow it. As a skill trick you're only normally getting StWP once per encounter, anyway.It's not that big a boost for once/encounter. Basically feels like the Emerald Razor maneuver used by a swordsage. (ie, no easy recovery) But it cost a feat and a skill trick. Meh.

Deca4531
2013-10-11, 12:24 PM
It's not that big a boost for once/encounter. Basically feels like the Emerald Razor maneuver used by a swordsage. (ie, no easy recovery) But it cost a feat and a skill trick. Meh.

i must be missing something in the description of Skill Trick, where dose it say i can only be used 1/encounter?

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-11, 12:29 PM
The description on skill tricks. All skill tricks can only each be used once per encounter.

Red Fel
2013-10-11, 12:33 PM
I would argue that they don't work together.

Quick Recon takes a normal Spot check, which usually takes a move action, and turns it into a free action 1/round.

SWP allows you to turn an attack into a touch attack by making a Spot check as part of a standard action. That isn't taking a traditional Spot check, that's taking a standard action and using a Spot check as your modifier.

If I were ruling based on RAW alone, I wouldn't allow it.

Stegyre
2013-10-11, 12:54 PM
i must be missing something in the description of Skill Trick, where dose it say i can only be used 1/encounter?
Complete Scoundrel at 84: "Unless otherwise noted, a skill trick can be performed only once per encounter (or once per minute, for scenes that don't involve coma bat or other conflict)."

Equinox
2013-10-11, 01:42 PM
No, they don't work together. Spot the Weak Point is very specific: "As a standard action, you can attempt a Spot check ..."