PDA

View Full Version : MITD/Xykon question(spoilers)

Ohiohi
2013-10-11, 12:39 PM
I apologize for my english, question in the spoiler
MITD has been hypnotized by Xykon, he has to devour Redcloak if he betrays X. But MITD's nature has been changed, so can he resist the magical compulsion with a saving throw/higher DC skill check?

Shale
2013-10-11, 12:40 PM
That's not an easy question. After all, does MITD's less-Evil nature make him less inclined to eat somebody...or more inclined to oppose Redcloak?

factotum
2013-10-11, 12:46 PM
But has his nature changed? I don't think the MitD was ever really Evil--he only hangs around with Redcloak and Xykon because he sees them as his friends.

NerdyKris
2013-10-11, 01:01 PM
His nature hasn't really changed at all. He simply made a new friend. Xykon and Redcloak aren't really his friends.

Right Eye and Right Eye's children were his friends.

Nothing has changed that would suggest an ability to ignore the spell on him. Assuming, of course, that the spell was ever going to work.

Tiiba
2013-10-11, 04:01 PM
You know, Xykon's enchantment happened in a book. Does that mean, perhaps, that it's a red herring and will never come up in the online comic at all? Same for the gem containing Lirian and Dorukan. They might make some event easier to understand, but the words "MiTD is enchanted" will never be spoken.

Kish
2013-10-11, 04:04 PM
You know, Xykon's enchantment happened in a book. Does that mean, perhaps, that it's a red herring and will never come up in the online comic at all?
No. The entire idea that it might mean that comes from Telephone Game. It means that if and when Rich introduces the creature's being hypnotized, he'll spare at least one panel to explain it online. The people who freaked out when Redcloak revealed to Tsukiko what the ritual actually did had no grounds to do so and things that happened in Start of Darkness are things that happened in the plot of the Order of the Stick comic.

Winter Light
2013-10-11, 04:35 PM
The people who freaked out when Redcloak revealed to Tsukiko what the ritual actually did had no grounds to do so and things that happened in Start of Darkness are things that happened in the plot of the Order of the Stick comic.

Er, wait--people freaked out about that? :smallconfused:

Dr.Gunsforhands
2013-10-11, 04:38 PM
What If: MitD turns out to be immune to mind-affecting effects?

:xykon:- I'll show you what happens to a minion who steals my bauble. Sic, boy!
:mitd: - Well, my nose is a bit dry...
:xykon: - What? No. Look, a while back, I told you that if Redcloak ever betrays me, then you...
:mitd: - ...should forget about whatever it was you were telling me to do?
:xykon: - ...
:xykon: - ..."oh no!! help!! redcloak has betrayed me and taken my phylactery! if he breaks it, i could die forever!!"
:mitd: - *Gasp!* NO!!!

Shale
2013-10-11, 04:44 PM
If MITD was immune to mind-affecting spells he wouldn't have gone all swirly-eyed and hypnotized when Xykon tried to enchant him.

Kish
2013-10-11, 04:45 PM
Er, wait--people freaked out about that? :smallconfused:
Yes. Not a lot of people, but a couple people who had translated Rich saying that anything originally introduced in print-only material would be explained in the online comic when it became relevant to the online comic, to "Nothing introduced in print-only content will ever matter to anything," got very upset when Redcloak exposited something that the readers of Start of Darkness had known for years right before killing Tsukiko.

Winter Light
2013-10-11, 05:20 PM
Yes. Not a lot of people, but a couple people who had translated Rich saying that anything originally introduced in print-only material would be explained in the online comic when it became relevant to the online comic, to "Nothing introduced in print-only content will ever matter to anything," got very upset when Redcloak exposited something that the readers of Start of Darkness had known for years right before killing Tsukiko.

Huh. I... feel like that maybe shouldn't actually surprise me.

~ The More You Know ~

rodneyAnonymous
2013-10-12, 01:23 AM
If MITD was immune to mind-affecting spells he wouldn't have gone all swirly-eyed and hypnotized when Xykon tried to enchant him.

The fact that the MitD is apparently not immune to mind-affecting spells rules out several possibilities, that might be an important clue about its identity. 2c on http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293047

DaggerPen
2013-10-12, 10:40 PM
What If: MitD turns out to be immune to mind-affecting effects?

:xykon:- I'll show you what happens to a minion who steals my bauble. Sic, boy!
:mitd: - Well, my nose is a bit dry...
:xykon: - What? No. Look, a while back, I told you that if Redcloak ever betrays me, then you...
:mitd: - ...should forget about whatever it was you were telling me to do?
:xykon: - ...
:xykon: - ..."oh no!! help!! redcloak has betrayed me and taken my phylactery! if he breaks it, i could die forever!!"
:mitd: - *Gasp!* NO!!!

Probably not, given that he had swirly eyes during the scene, but oh, how I lol'd.

mimhoff
2013-10-13, 12:50 AM
You know, Xykon's enchantment happened in a book. Does that mean, perhaps, that it's a red herring and will never come up in the online comic at all? Same for the gem containing Lirian and Dorukan. They might make some event easier to understand, but the words "MiTD is enchanted" will never be spoken.

My feeling is that you're right, for the well-known dramatic convention (that has already appeared in the comic) that if the readers know about a plan, then having things go exactly as planned is not interesting.

But now of course I am definitely expecting the MitD to find some reason not to kill Redcloak! So what will happen with this expectation??

Grey_Wolf_c
2013-10-13, 09:17 AM
I think this is Rich's answer to the frequent accusations of "Deus Ex Machina" every time he engages in plot-twisting:

RC betrays Xykon!
MitD's eyes go all swirly, and charges at RC!
Forumnites cry "DEM!"
Rich smugly points to SoD.

Grey Wolf

137beth
2013-10-13, 12:28 PM
I don't think eating the person who tortured his best friend would be against the MitD's nature.

Of course when he realizes what happened, it may well cause the MitD to realize that Xykon has been an enemy all along...

I'm also picturing something along the lines of:
:xykon: Charm monster! Eat that paladin!
:mitd: Nope! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html)

NerdyKris
2013-10-13, 01:52 PM
I don't think eating the person who tortured his best friend would be against the MitD's nature.

Of course when he realizes what happened, it may well cause the MitD to realize that Xykon has been an enemy all along...

I'm also picturing something along the lines of:
:xykon: Charm monster! Eat that paladin!
:mitd: Nope! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0852.html)

MITD doesn't seem to care about the torture. He's cheering O-chull on during the acid shark event, not begging them to stop hurting him. He has massive damage reduction, so his naiveté means he believes others are the same. We've seen him repeatedly see attacks as "games".