PDA

View Full Version : Re-writing [3.5 truenaming fix/redo, very WIP]

qwertyu63
2013-10-11, 12:43 PM
This thread is dead. The idea has changed threads. Look for the shaper.

Jormengand
2013-10-11, 01:09 PM
Just a heads-up, allowing players to build their own utterances is going to have the same problems as epic spellcasting - perilously easy to abuse and you spend ages working out how to build a specific utterance.

qwertyu63
2013-10-11, 01:29 PM
Just a heads-up, allowing players to build their own utterances is going to have the same problems as epic spellcasting - perilously easy to abuse and you spend ages working out how to build a specific utterance.

That's why I set the base power level. You can only go so powerful with this. Maybe it is just me being good at it, but I know how to get a majority of the effects I would use on the fly.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-11, 08:24 PM
How would you make a fireball out of this?

Or a Ethereal Jaunt or something like Spider Climb

qwertyu63
2013-10-11, 08:41 PM
How would you make a fireball out of this?

Or a Ethereal Jaunt or something like Spider Climb

Fireball would be Aeugo Navitus (create energy). Radius 10', 1d6 damage, no save. Could add Potenter to make it 30', 3d6.

Ethereal Jaunt: You wouldn't. There is no way to make it, so there is no way to do it. (unless you can think of a way)

Spider Climb: Aeguo Corpus (enhance body) and convince your DM. Duration 1 min.

TabletopGamer
2013-10-11, 09:17 PM
After seeing your system it got me thinking.

A 26 Letter (Maybe 30) Alphabet.
With perhaps a second set of Letters used to empower, MetaLetters if you will that can further increase or empower the word your using to speak to the cosmos. (Just thought this up when I read your post, far from flushed out)

Now lets assume its works more like Japanese Letters having more then just the Aye sound for A or Bee sound for B or something.

Lets say the character starts out with two letters from the Alphabet.
Bar and Soom

Now put together in the first Word its Barsoom which has a specific effect. Lets say it would grant the person a +1 Competence Bonus to a skill check made after it was Said or Spoke.

Now lets say you spoke Soombar the next round because you have changed the order of the words they no longer work in the same way and now allow the character to manifest the same as the Light Cantrip.

Have each word have several intentions like your system. But the way they are placed in context with one another and which letters are primary or strongest in the word

Say at lvl 2 you gain 2 new Letters Shii and Nhu
Now if the person Spoke Shiinhu they can manifest an ignition to something flammable. While Nhushii can manifest fire directly onto a person or target but with a rather weak manifestation perhaps 2d4 Fire Damage over two turns 1d4 per round.

Now if they got to a higher level and could now string three letters to form a word they could combine Barnhushii to increase either the duration, inflicting another round of 1d4 damage or increase the damage to 1d8 in a single round but with a static bonus to fire damage of +1.

So if they did this they can choose if they want their damage now in a more solid burst or over a duration with the likelihood bringing higher damage Max 9 with the higher damage dice in one turn or a max of 12 over all but with a higher risk.