PDA

View Full Version : The Best 3.P D&D Fanfics

Rubik
2013-10-11, 03:20 PM
I'm not talking about official books, such as those written by Gygax or Salvatore. I'm talking about fiction written and released for free online, whether original fics or crossover fics. I prefer the ones where the story involves the 3.0/3.5/Pathfinder mechanics (whether implicitly or explicitly), but I find the ones where the characters actually know they have saving throws tend to be the most fun to read.

Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5782108/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Methods-of-Rationality) - I'm not entirely sure if this counts, but the new (and improved) Harry is aware of the D&D rules, references them often, and tries to optimize himself like he would with a roleplaying character when he can. The most popular HP fanfic out there, and with reason.

Harry Potter and the Natural 20/Harry Potter and the Confirmed Critical (www.fanfiction.net/s/8096183/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Natural-20) - Milo is an 11 year old D&D wizard who bent The Rules to become the youngest wizard in Greyhawk. During the climactic battle with The Supremely Evil Fell Lord Thamior the Thaumaturge, he is summoned to a strange world where the young Hogwarts NPCs don't gain levels; they don't even have character sheets! Will he be able to minmax his way through the new challenges in this world, or will he have to *gasp!* undergo character development?

The Character Sheet of Destiny (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9087007/1/The-Character-Sheet-of-DeStInY) - Only one chapter, though it was written recently, but pre-Hogwarts Harry finds a magical character sheet that changes his life. His build? Human wizard 1.

Harry Potter and the Eternal Boundary (www.fanfiction.net/s/4811026/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Eternal-Boundary) - Visitors from Sigil find a portal to a Material Plane long cut off from the Great Wheel, and they're on a mission of cultural exchange and exploration. Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Tonks, and Dumbledore are offered the opportunity to explore the wonders of the planes, while recruiting help against their horcrux-empowered nemesis.

Cutie Mark Adventurers (www.fanfiction.net/s/7771789/1/Cutie-Mark-Adventurers) - The Cutie Mark Crusaders enact a ritual to give them their hearts' desires. (Their cutie marks, what else?) What they don't realize is that the ritual will send them to a new world where they'll have to earn them.

Dungeon Crawling in Chicago (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6282011/1/Dungeon-Crawling-in-Chicago) - A man is summoned from his bed by an arcane ritual to an alternate modern Chicago back in 1990, where magic is real. Turns out, he also gains a magical D&D character sheet out of the deal. It's a good thing the man is a shameless min-maxxer. He'll need it just to survive. First sequel (and Harry Potter crossover): Guardian (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6293344/1/Guardian). Second sequel: Dungeon Crawling in Fuyuki (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7563001/1/Dungeon-Crawling-in-Fuyuki).

Anyone have any other good ones to share?

[edit] Well-done slashfics are most welcome!

Frosty
2013-10-11, 03:38 PM
I should really start reading the Methods of Rationality fanfic. It sounds very interesting. Does Harry break the 4th wall, or is he merely Dangerously Genre Savvy?

Rubik
2013-10-11, 03:42 PM
I should really start reading the Methods of Rationality fanfic. It sounds very interesting. Does Harry break the 4th wall, or is he merely Dangerously Genre Savvy?The latter. He's read a LOT of fantasy stories, and he owns a massive collection of 3.5 books, so he's well aware of genre conventions where fantasy is concerned.

Frosty
2013-10-11, 03:45 PM
Does he use the term "Crowd Control"? :smallbiggrin:

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-11, 03:47 PM
Well, Paizo releases Pathfinder Tales web fiction (http://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial), weekly short stories in the pathfinder chronicles setting. Basically fanfiction.

Personally, I've yet to find one that I'd actually recommend. But it can't hurt to look through them and see if you can find anything that sounds interesting, they're never more than a few pages long.

Rubik
2013-10-11, 03:47 PM
Does he use the term "Crowd Control"? :smallbiggrin:"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

Mcdt2
2013-10-11, 03:53 PM
Not quite what you mean, but there's Ponies Play D&D. (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/75/ponies-play-dd) Only have read the first chapter myself, because I forgot about it until just now.

FinnDarkblade
2013-10-11, 04:11 PM
There's Fire and Dust (http://www.ralf.org/~krlipka/ps/fiction/archive/firedust.html) by James Gardner. It's set in Sigil and, while I haven't gotten very far in it yet, and the characters don't know about D&D mechanics, I do find it to be a good story.

TiaC
2013-10-11, 08:44 PM
I should really start reading the Methods of Rationality fanfic. It sounds very interesting. Does Harry break the 4th wall, or is he merely Dangerously Genre Savvy?

Warning, this is a bit of a base breaker. While it has some really awesome ideas, the eleven year olds tend to act like mature adults. Also, he doesn't use timeskips, so it's looking like the story will either be millions of words long or end when Harry's 12. There's some idea bloat, I liked the story at first, but it suffers in hindsight.

Rubik
2013-10-12, 10:11 AM
Not quite what you mean, but there's Ponies Play D&D. (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/75/ponies-play-dd) Only have read the first chapter myself, because I forgot about it until just now.Oh dear god. That story is hilarious. It starts out a bit iffy, but gets so damned epic as it goes along.

For reference, nearly the entire last chapter is performed in iambic tetrameter (along with some dipodic meter) when Zecora takes the wheel. And it's good.

Warning, this is a bit of a base breaker. While it has some really awesome ideas, the eleven year olds tend to act like mature adults. Also, he doesn't use timeskips, so it's looking like the story will either be millions of words long or end when Harry's 12. There's some idea bloat, I liked the story at first, but it suffers in hindsight.Just let people read the stories themselves, unless they're genuinely terrible, and that story isn't.

Juntao112
2013-10-12, 10:46 AM
Would Fistbeard Beardfist (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5900318/1/The_Fountain_of_Unlikely_Chance) count for the purposes of this thread?

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-10-14, 02:31 PM
Strangely enough (I'm a scientist), I'd suggest against "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality". Why?

1) Mary-Suism. Harry has this a lot. And by "a lot" I mean "99% of all characters are his b!tch". This includes headmasters, potion teachers and dementors.

2) Fladernization. Of rationality itself. How is that possible? You have to read it in order to believe it.

3) Author/character filibuster. Not as bad as Ayn Rand/John Galt style, but comes up at least once per chapter.

I could go on.

Frosty
2013-10-14, 03:00 PM
Strangely enough (I'm a scientist), I'd suggest against "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality". Why?

1) Mary-Suism. Harry has this a lot. And by "a lot" I mean "99% of all characters are his b!tch". This includes headmasters, potion teachers and dementors.

2) Fladernization. Of rationality itself. How is that possible? You have to read it in order to believe it.

3) Author/character filibuster. Not as bad as Ayn Rand/John Galt style, but comes up at least once per chapter.

I could go on.I know what the first term means. Can you define terms 2 and 3 for me? I only understand filibuster in terms of politics :smallbiggrin:

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-10-14, 03:16 PM
Fladernization; when you completely blow out of proportion a quality/aspect of an individual or idea, while (usually) ignoring everything else. In this case the ability of rational thought to solve problems and give advantage over others is raised to the point that "Rational Harry" is way smarter than Sherlock Holmes, while its drawbacks, dangers and the difficulty of being rational is totally glossed over.

Character filibuster: when a character takes over the story to preach to other characters as well as the audience. Often a filmsy mask for when the author does the preaching. Most famous character filibuster ever:
"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who—[63 pages of pure speech]—will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Frosty
2013-10-14, 03:18 PM
I can probably tolerate a bit of character filibuster if the rest of the story is well written. However, you say that the Mary-Sue-ness is off the charts? You wouldn't be surprised if he defeats Voldemorte 3 books early kinda scale? :smallwink:

Belial_the_Leveler
2013-10-14, 07:05 PM
It's not a "defeating Voldemort 3 books early" kind of story. It's a "becoming god-king of magical Britain by the end of book 1" and a "defeating capital-D Death by the end of the series" kind of story. Check the following points of Mary-sueness;

1) Every canon rival essentially defeated/converted on first encounter.
2) Always wins argumens except against the major villain.
3) All canon classmates personality-shifted so they can be there to say how awesome "Rational!Potter" is.
4) All canon adults personality-shifted so they can be there to say how awesome "Rational!Potter" is.
5) The laws of the setting altered so "Rational!Potter" can be made to look that much more awesome. (i.e. him using technology in magical places where it canon doesn't work)
6) Doing flat-out impossible things to showcase how awesome he is.

And beyond Mary-suism, there are other, subtler problems with the story that get it far from well-written. Having 11-year-olds act like adults and adults act like 11-year-olds for one. Sexism for another.

The story is initially quite inviting because the premise of a Harry raised in logic and rationality that applies those qualities over everything will briefly cover the absurdities and overall wrongness of what is actually going on plot-wise and character-wise until after reading a couple dozen chapters you'll pause for a moment and think "Why in the name of Asha am I spending my time on this?"

TuggyNE
2013-10-14, 08:53 PM
The story is initially quite inviting because the premise of a Harry raised in logic and rationality that applies those qualities over everything will briefly cover the absurdities and overall wrongness of what is actually going on plot-wise and character-wise until after reading a couple dozen chapters you'll pause for a moment and think "Why in the name of Asha am I spending my time on this?"

I have to admit, I'm pretty bad at recognizing such works; usually an inviting premise will take me pretty far before I realize it's not worth the trouble! So, hey, good to know before I tried it.

Psyren
2013-10-14, 08:56 PM
Is it (HP!Rational) finished, or still ongoing? I'd prefer to read it once it's fait accompli.

Rubik
2013-10-14, 09:02 PM
Is it (HP!Rational) finished, or still ongoing? I'd prefer to read it once it's fait accompli.It's not finished, despite currently having 98 chapters, each of which is fairly extensive.

I find it quite amusing and interesting. Sure, Harry is incredibly formidable, and he's always finding ways to poke flaws in everyone else's logic, but he's also up against otherwise impossible situations that require that level of insanity to overcome. And when Harry makes a mistake, it's usually fairly catastrophic.

He may be somewhat Mary Sue-ish, and early on there is a lot of soapboxing, but it's still a riveting and enjoyable story all the way through, though of course your mileage may vary.

Frosty
2013-10-14, 09:48 PM
Sexism? Really? I didn't remember any sort of sexism in the movvies. I mean Hermoines was god-awful STRONG most of the time. What'd this author do? Make all the females weak in magic and emotional?

Rubik
2013-10-14, 09:51 PM
Sexism? Really? I didn't remember any sort of sexism in the movvies. I mean Hermoines was god-awful STRONG most of the time. What'd this author do? Make all the females weak in magic and emotional?No, and I honestly don't know what he's talking about. No sexism in the story, other than what you'd expect from a slightly backwards civilization which is out of touch with reality. It's fairly clear that the author is against sexism, and Hermione is a very strong female character there, as well.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-14, 10:15 PM
It's not a "defeating Voldemort 3 books early" kind of story. It's a "becoming god-king of magical Britain by the end of book 1" and a "defeating capital-D Death by the end of the series" kind of story. Check the following points of Mary-sueness;

1) Every canon rival essentially defeated/converted on first encounter.
2) Always wins argumens except against the major villain.
3) All canon classmates personality-shifted so they can be there to say how awesome "Rational!Potter" is.
4) All canon adults personality-shifted so they can be there to say how awesome "Rational!Potter" is.
5) The laws of the setting altered so "Rational!Potter" can be made to look that much more awesome. (i.e. him using technology in magical places where it canon doesn't work)
6) Doing flat-out impossible things to showcase how awesome he is.

And beyond Mary-suism, there are other, subtler problems with the story that get it far from well-written. Having 11-year-olds act like adults and adults act like 11-year-olds for one. Sexism for another.

I agree that there are serious sexism issues, and they are serious. Moreover, Yudkowsky's responses to those issues have been deeply unsatisfying. But I don't think your other criticisms have much validity.

1 is certainly not true (look at the complex relationship with Malfoy, and the delicate situation with Snape). 2 doesn't seem to be accurate either- both Hermione and Dumbledore have made valid points and in so far as he generally wins, it is because he's really more rational, which is sort of the point. 3 Has some validity (especially in regards to McGonagall) but considering that the original Harry got some of the same stuff (e.g. Hermione's ridiculous statement in Book 1 right before Harry goes to the final encounter), that's simply changing which characters say that. 5- Most laws have not been altered, and most of the changes either A) make the system more consistent or B) actually prevent obvious abuses of the system (e.g. the changes to transfiguration). I'm curious what you are thinking of that goes under item 6.

Rubik
2013-10-17, 01:23 AM
Every Silver Lining Has Its Cloud (www.fanfiction.net/s/5807698/1/Every-Silver-Lining-has-its-Cloud) - Buffy fails to stop Angelus from opening the portal to Hell, but closes it before it destroys the world. Unfortunately for Sunnydale, she wasn't fast enough. Now, the entire town's population suddenly finds itself in a strange world filled to the brim with dungeons, dragons, magic, and a certain notorious dark elf. A Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Forgotten Realms crossover.

Frosty
2013-10-17, 02:22 AM
This fic actually sounds awesome, and I must read it sometime.

Rubik
2013-10-19, 01:11 AM
This fic actually sounds awesome, and I must read it sometime.I must say that it's quite good, if you don't mind a high level of socioeconomic politicking, interspersed with lots of arse-kicking, funny quips, and hilarious interludes.

IronFist
2013-10-19, 01:29 AM
SilverClawShift campaign archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836).
At Soul's Edge. (http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=27106)

Rubik
2013-10-19, 01:32 AM
SilverClawShift campaign archives (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836).
At Soul's Edge. (http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?showtopic=27106)Oh god. I'd forgotten about SCS's campaign archives.

BEST. CAMPAIGNS. EVER.

[edit] (Several months later)

The Two Year Emperor (https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9669819/1/The-Two-Year-Emperor) - A man is summoned to a D&D world where he's expected to rule the country for two years, just like the procession of hundreds before him. Oh, and he's also expected to save his new subjects from an invading force hyped up on Tippyverse optimization, and then the entire world.