PDA

View Full Version : Can a lycan speak in hybrid form

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 12:48 AM
Or more importantly pull off bardic music, which i know unless it says must concentrate is considered basically free action, since you can kind of do it why'll doing other things. But a lycan cant cast spells in Hybrid, Can they do bardic music? If so, can you show a rule i can give DM, if not any way known it will work? Even if feats must be bought, items ect

holywhippet
2013-10-12, 12:56 AM
From the bard class description under bard song:

While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.

So a bard song isn't singing per se, it's just making some kind of sound that carries the power of the song. You can even do it with a musical instrument. Since a lycan is able to use weapons in their hybrid form, there should be some kind of instrument they can use - even if it's only a drum. If you want to be able to use weapons while singing, you can arguably howl or something to activate your bard song.

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 12:57 AM
From the bard class description under bard song:

So a bard song isn't singing per se, it's just making some kind of sound that carries the power of the song. You can even do it with a musical instrument. Since a lycan is able to use weapons in their hybrid form, there should be some kind of instrument they can use - even if it's only a drum. If you want to be able to use weapons while singing, you can arguably howl or something to activate your bard song.

Oh god this will be awesome, my alli howling in such a beautiful way we all gain sonic damage on attacks now

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 01:27 AM
As a last thing, can you raise dc for lycan curse in dnd? A flat fifteen is scary....for 2 levels lol

Coidzor
2013-10-12, 01:36 AM
A lycanthrope’s hybrid form does not gain any special attacks of the base animal. A lycanthrope spellcaster cannot cast spells with verbal, somatic, or material components while in animal form, or spells with verbal components while in hybrid form. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)

I haven't found anything clearer than that, but that does mean they can't do verbal components to spells which can be read to imply they can't speak. Possibly means they flat-out can't, I don't recall any sources being cited that give a yea or nay on that.

As a last thing, can you raise dc for lycan curse in dnd? A flat fifteen is scary....for 2 levels lol

I believe there's a feat out there which will raise the DC of a supernatural ability. There's also the Black Blood Hunter PrC from, IIRC, the Player's Guide to Faerun which has a more virulent form of lycanthropy.

ShurikVch
2013-10-12, 08:16 AM
Dip in Master of Many Forms will give a Shifter's Speech - "A master of many forms maintains her ability to speak normally (including verbal components of spells) regardless of the form she takes." Dunno if it works for lycan AF...

Ability Focus (Curse of Lycanthropy)