PDA

View Full Version : Untitled Damaged Divine Magic Setting (WIP) (Working Title)

Fako
2013-10-12, 12:58 AM
I've been running D&D games for a long time, and I always use my own settings. In my opinion, it allows for greater flexibility since you are the one to dictate what is where and why. However, the group I normally DM for is more of a "roll playing" group - you point them at a dungeon, they wipe it out and ask for another. Story and setting have never been too important to them, as long as they can have their fun.

Starting this week, I have the opportunity to run a game for siblings and friends who are new to the system. As such, I am sincerely hoping to introduce them to options other than combat, and I want to provide a vibrant world that they can interact with. I'll be using this thread to post whatever content I personally come up with, mostly to keep as a backup in case my computer decides to finally fail.

If you have suggestions or questions, I would LOVE to hear them. All I have right now is the initial "pitch" that I used to interest them, as well as some information on the city they are starting in.

Several millenia ago, the Sun god's most trusted general went berserk, killing all of the world's religious leaders during a peace gathering. Shortly thereafter, he amassed an army of angels, demons, devils and machines, declaring war on the gods themselves. This war was so massive that it was fought within all realms of the earth, heavens and hells.
After a time, the gods were able to corner his army on the material plane, but that meant immense threat to their followers. In their wisdom they split the land of the world into two parts, forcing the land mass with the heathen army to the opposite side of the world. They then unleashed the raw fury of the cosmos at the cornered army, ensuring total destruction.
The army was eradicated, but at a cost. The gods had failed to see the damage their power was doing to the land they had tried to spare, until it was too far gone to put right. Magic itself had been their tool, and magic itself was the victim, causing the heads of village elders to explode with its power, paladins to be paralyzed by their faith, and priests struck dumb due to their divine study. Magic is also what holds our world together, and the damage caused rifts to form. These rifts linked other worlds to our own, pulling people and populations from seemingly nowhere. In a single night, the world that was had fallen to shambles, to be replaced by the world that is.
The gods quickly set to fixing the damage to our world, but it was far too extensive for even their power to completely overcome. They have fixed what they can, proclaiming that divine magic is once again safe for mortals to use... but that does nothing to alleviate the distrust and fear that generations of people have suffered through. The rifts are smaller now, but they still make orphans and widows far more common than anyone would care to admit. And then there's the world that's half a world away; an entire continent of mutated creatures and peoples, warped by the condensed fires of creation that still pulse from within the land itself.
This is the world you find yourself in. This is the world you must survive in. With any luck, this is the world you might thrive in.
Welcome to [NameGoesHere, and may whatever gods you worship have mercy on your soul.

Locations
Class: City State
Government: Guild Appointed Monarch

Refuge gets its name from its inhabitants. Unlike most of the lands, where maybe one to five percent of the population are “rifters” (people who have been torn through rifts into our world), at least seventy five percent of the people of Refuge were once living somewhere else. This is mostly due to its location near Heaven's Canyon, a massive scar on the continent that splits it almost perfectly in half from east to west. The magic within Heaven's Canyon is still badly damaged, and Refuge sits upon the most active site for rifts, allowing them to assist rifters as they transition. It is also conveniently at the north end of the only known natural bridge across Heaven's Canyon, making Refuge a popular stop for merchant caravans and messengers.
The city itself is ruled by a monarch, but the crown is not kept within the same family as per the norm. Instead, every five years the heads of the local guilds meet and determine if the monarch has done his or her job well. If so, then they are given another five years of tenure. If not, they are replaced, and the newly dethroned monarch is given a severance package to allow them to continue living comfortably. The current monarch is Taern Swiftblade, a Human refugee who has held the throne for the last thirty years. Recently, he has refused most requests to see him, instead deferring to his Counselor, an Aasimar Paladin known by all as “Lightbringer”.
Due to the location of the town and the rather frequent addition of rifters, Refuge is widely renowned for its technological and magical advancements, and is welcome to new ideas. It is also one of the few places where Necromancy isn't openly frowned upon, and a person is capable of purchasing skeletons or zombies as workers. There are rumors of local crime bosses killing debtors to provide more bodies for reanimation, but no one has been able to find concrete evidence to back this claim.
Guilds have a prominent role in Refuge. This is partly due to the government structure, but a larger part of it is the fact that the guilds are the ones to step in to aid rifters, providing food, clothing, shelter and job training for those who desire it. In exchange, the guilds are less loosely regulated in Refuge as they are in most other kingdoms, and so several guilds have their headquarters here. It's been said that anyone can find a job in Refuge, but you have to prove that you really want it.
While various faiths have temples within Refuge, the most prominent holy sites aren't actually affiliated with any deity of the land. Roughly 500 years ago, an arcane magic user was torn through a rift, nearly dead. While the town tried to aid him, his body seemed to reject every spell, potion or incantation they tried to use on him. While he refused to give anyone his name, his last wish was that thirteen magic seeds that he possessed each be planted around the town. The towns folk obliged, planting twelve of them in a large circle around the former town's borders, and one in the center of town, next to the town hall. The trees that grew from them are obviously magical, providing illumination almost as bright as daylight within the parks that were built around them. The leaves also have healing properties, assuming the user knows how to properly prepare them. These two features have caused each and every one of the parks to be considered a holy site by the towns folk, even if no one actively prays there.

Fako
2013-10-12, 01:02 AM
(Reserving a second post, in case I need one...)

sktarq
2013-10-12, 03:49 PM
So you know there is a rather large well developed game that uses the named scarred lands. Gods vs Titan war ruins. 9 main gods (one for each alignment) I think under the swords and sorcery logo.

Fako
2013-10-12, 08:07 PM
So you know there is a rather large well developed game that uses the named scarred lands. Gods vs Titan war ruins. 9 main gods (one for each alignment) I think under the swords and sorcery logo.

Thank you for the heads up. I removed the name to prevent confusion, and I'm going to look into that game to see if there's any interesting ideas I might be able to use against my players (3.5e)... :smallsmile:

Nevershutup
2013-10-13, 12:19 AM
I have two suggestions. First, the setting could be called Fractadi (from Fracta di, which means Broken gods in Latin.(Go Google Translate!)). Second, everything has got an opposite and Refuge should be no exception. Perhaps create a place/nation where rifters are second-class citizens, and perhaps even actively hunted, with one certain race set up as the ruling class.

Everyl
2013-10-13, 02:08 PM
Interesting setting concept. I like the idea of rifters - if you decide to mix in splatbooks later in the game, it gives you an easy origin for stuff like alternative base classes, psionics, or whatnot.

Speaking of caster-types, is there something unsafe about magic in the setting? You say that divine magic has been declared safe; does that imply that arcane magic is still unsafe? And if so, how is magic unsafe in the setting?

Fako
2013-10-13, 04:32 PM
I have two suggestions. First, the setting could be called Fractadi (from Fracta di, which means Broken gods in Latin.(Go Google Translate!)). Second, everything has got an opposite and Refuge should be no exception. Perhaps create a place/nation where rifters are second-class citizens, and perhaps even actively hunted, with one certain race set up as the ruling class.

I do have plans for areas where rifters are basically viewed as "cast-offs that their own world didn't want", and are treated poorly. I like the name, and may use it... I'll have to think about it for a bit.

Interesting setting concept. I like the idea of rifters - if you decide to mix in splatbooks later in the game, it gives you an easy origin for stuff like alternative base classes, psionics, or whatnot.

Speaking of caster-types, is there something unsafe about magic in the setting? You say that divine magic has been declared safe; does that imply that arcane magic is still unsafe? And if so, how is magic unsafe in the setting?

The rifts also give the DM a lot of lee-way in what enemies appear to be, as the players can't claim the creature doesn't exist. One of the players is arachnaphobic, so I have small blue bipedal "aliens" using monstrous spider stats for encounters.

Both types of magic were unsafe for a time, but arcane magic was quickly stabilized after the war... mostly. Divine magic was risky up until the last century or so, due to the chance of accidentally pulling "too much", thanks to the amount of raw deific power that the gods used to end the war. The only problem arcane magic has (which it shares with divine magic) is in setting off damaged areas of the magic that holds the world together, causing unwanted effects (creating rifts, having random spells fire off, etc). Nowadays, both types of magic are equally safe to use, as long as you avoid places like Heaven's Canyon or the Dark Continent (name pending). If you do travel to those places, the safest practice is to use single-target or chaining spells, since you never know what part of an AoE could spell trouble.

Alexkubel
2013-10-13, 05:47 PM
I can see a lot of unexpected campaign switching for those who fall though a rift, one minute you're falling down a bottomless pit next your about 500 meters above the sea. bonus points if you're in a tank.