PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Ideas

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 05:03 AM
So beginning tuesday, I'm going to DM a group of four players in a low op campaign. Problem is, im rusty. Its been a year since i sat as the DM, and we have 3 long time players who are becoming bored with smashy smashy, a new player who wants to learn the system well enough that he doesnt mess up if he play's higher op, and a mid player learning class roles and group synergy. I've spoke in length to my group, and general consensus is they want A) Something classic in a new twist, B) Challenging yet doable encounters, C) A heavily invested story line and D) A chance to just laugh and rediscover group tactics (our usual group is very leeroy jenkins)

So i feel im man enough to admit my weakness's and strengths. I'm a solid dm when it comes to giving them a reason to wanna fight BBEG, i can give them memorable battles (i make fights fairly easy for group power level, but i believe if you play stupid, dont blame me for dying), and im good at dungeons. My lacking is, well not falling in a certain pattern with battles after a time, being giving with WBL, and last and weakest point, Creating heavy subterfuge and deep rolepaying aspects (As a player i enjoy them, i lack creativity on the fly and loathe modules)

Group is level 1, and as follows:
Aasimar Fighter (Focusing on hitting hard)
Neanderthal Warblade (Focusing on tank, i discussed power level difference and hes gonna keep his best offense low key so fighter isnt out classed)
tiefling Warlock (ranged support/party face)
Human Ninja (I gave her SA instead of sudden strike, she's newish and i knew was easier to use)
Human Healer (Most Veteran player, focusing on undead hunting/keeping group moving)

So far we have 3 CN, 1 NN, and 1 NG. the ninja is seeking to go in the neutral aligned Assassin, the warlock has said no on hellfire and is pure warlock, Warblade is gonna go pure, Aasimar will stay fighter simply due to being new and keeping game simple, and healer is gonna take an undead hunting class for fluff reasons

So as you can see, i have a group who wants high op roleplaying, low op rollplaying, which kind of has be in a bind. If you can help me, please do. I will answer any and all questions asked

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-12, 06:39 AM
Have you decided on a setting yet?

Here's a tip from me: Whenever I start a new campaign I decide upon at least one theme of the campaign (sometimes multiple themes are appropriate, but usually one works best unless the multiple themes are closely connected). Whenever I add an element to the world, I make sure I have a good answer to the question "How does this relate to the theme?"

This includes the players, the structure of the world, and even the mechanics of the game. I believe the ideal RP-heavy campaign is one that uses roleplaying as a vehicle to explore an idea. This doesn't mean everybody sits around and has a high-minded philosophical debate about the idea (the idea itself should rarely be explicitly mentioned), it means the idea is explored with actions.

Let's take an example theme: Redemption. Is there such a thing as truly bad people who can't be redeemed? What kind of event can change the way a person sees the world and her place in it? What kind of change in a person qualifies as a redemption?

Now, I'm the cynical type, I believe that people really can't be changed; Not by directed, outside forces anyway. An attempt to try to redeem a bad person is doomed to failure, because the necessary kind of change is something that can only come from within, and there's nothing you can do to make someone want to make that change. An evil person will become a good person either all by themselves or not at all.

The player, however, disagrees: They think people naturally want to be good, they just need to be shown the difference between right and wrong.

So, we roleplay: I play the NPC the player wants to turn to the side of good, and he plays the redeemer. Who is right? Probably neither of us. We play in order to find out. We just might surprise each other.

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 07:21 AM
right now my campaign theme is: Long ago a war began, Holy Soldiers of good vs. Evil dragon kind. In time, More and more banded against the dragons until the Evil dragons faced extinction. Bahamut, knowing without evil good can not rise, ordered his forces to seek peace. the soldiers, now slightly fallen, saw this as all dragons must me eradicated. So a war swept the world, which made it a bleak place but the races of men won. Since the war, 600 years ago, Arcane casters have slowly died out since no dragons meant the natural being who gave arcane to the world have left it, and with them was arcane. Now only Warlocks possess arcane, due to having infernal pacts. A true Arcan Mage has not been seen in 200 years.

Plot twist: One lives, the great wizard of the war, who took the mighty great wyrm gold's soul within him, keeping it safe until a time he could dawn in a new reckoning. With it he has become more or less immortal in terms of age. And soon dragons will come back with a vengance, which pc's will have to work out a truce less war come again

thats so far

lordzya
2013-10-12, 07:35 AM
It is very difficult to motivate players do get in the muck of RP if they are playing solely self serving characters, which they are. With 4 out of the 5 being neither good nor lawful, they need to be motivated by personal benefit. Unless you want to structure it like an evil campaign where the players just gobble up the world you laid out, I would make the BBEG pay them to some end, pay them A LOT. Then, part way through the plot the BBEG tires to dispose of them for some reason. Revenge is a good motivator. Also, you could tie undead into the BBEG's scheme easy (just don't let them find out in the beginning so they will work with him/her/it). Weaving player backstory into the main quest can make these neutral backstabbers care about each other.

Ortesk
2013-10-12, 07:54 AM
It is very difficult to motivate players do get in the muck of RP if they are playing solely self serving characters, which they are. With 4 out of the 5 being neither good nor lawful, they need to be motivated by personal benefit. Unless you want to structure it like an evil campaign where the players just gobble up the world you laid out, I would make the BBEG pay them to some end, pay them A LOT. Then, part way through the plot the BBEG tires to dispose of them for some reason. Revenge is a good motivator. Also, you could tie undead into the BBEG's scheme easy (just don't let them find out in the beginning so they will work with him/her/it). Weaving player backstory into the main quest can make these neutral backstabbers care about each other.

Undead would hook the Healer (and i did plan on it) my issue was how do i hook someone who's into being an assassin, when i neither play them or generally find them interesting in myth. the neanderthal comes from a loose clan which is starving, his motivation (hes not real bright, 13 int 9 wisdom 8 charisma) is as he put it "Kog feed family, family no make kog sleep in dirt" the Aasimar is pure on merc, i can just pay him a princes wage, and the warlock wants power, which can be promised. my issue really is the assassin and making a rich deep rp experience, why'll i can semi manage, i want the assassin to shine as much as the rest, i dont wanna say "Hey i hate rogue types, if you play with me know your be ignored even when you write a long backstory"