PDA

View Full Version : Holy Shameless Plugging, Batman! (my new webcomic, Unsheathed)

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-01, 04:41 PM
I've just started my own webcomic, called "Unsheathed". It's a high fantasy action/adventure with an unusual sense of humor and full of sequitor non-sequitors. At least, it will be. Right now there's just one page, and the web design is still being worked on :D

www.unsheathedcomic.com

I'm going to update three times a week (so long as I remember to), M-W-F. The layout is going to go under some serious overhauls in the next few days to be something other then, well, a nondescript title and the comic. Promise!

Feel free to comment on the style, even though it's just one page for now. I put a lot of work into making it look pretty.

Kabroth Ironmaw
2007-01-02, 02:25 AM
Looks interesting. I'll have to look into it more as it develops.

Bryn
2007-01-02, 06:11 AM
You need the actual image itself to be smaller. By having it resized in the browser, it looks bad with no anti-aliasing - when I viewed the image full size it was ridiculously big. Resize it in a decent image editing program so it's the right size and still has anti-aliasing.

Other than that, it looks good, nice art!

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-02, 04:44 PM

I'll fix up the coding tonight as I post up the next page. Should fix the scaling problem and make the page look nicer.

AdInfinitum
2007-01-03, 06:58 AM
It does look interesting, but is it just the one page so far (the lack of a 'previous' button makes me hope so)?

And ditto on the rediculously big.

It might be interesting. My other high-ish fantasy webcomic is ending, so...

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-03, 03:12 PM
Yep, brand new. And then I forgot that today is my super busy day and didn't manage a timely update. Well, it'll be up before tonight. I finished the art, I just have to add in the dialogue. And create a background. And fix the HTML layout.

UPDATE: Okay, so the new comic was put up several hours ago, I did a simple color for the background, added a modest "previous" button to go back to the first comic (next button forthcoming), fixed the scaling issue, and have begun building a proper forums to figure out just how many people actually visit me (I get lonely :().

Whew. And here I thought the hard part was going to be drawing the comic. At least my art's getting more praise then I thought it would.

Bryn
2007-01-04, 01:30 PM
No, you haven't fixed the scaling issue.

What you have done is used html code to scale a 2550x3300 image down. This means there are some issues with anti-aliasing.

What you need to do is take that enormous image in an image editing program, such as the GIMP or Photoshop. Then, size the actual image itself down. That will remove the artifacts and stuff, and you'll end up with a better looking comic.

The issue wasn't how big it is on the page, it was with how big the image itself was.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-01-04, 02:21 PM
Oh. Ohhhhh.

I've gotta fix up the first two pages anyway, I'll make a point of making them smaller when I open up Photoshop, too. Thanks for the tip.

UPDATE: Yeah, it does look a lot nicer like that. Smoothed things out without the need for an additional filter, too. Thanks again, Z.

Bryn
2007-01-07, 12:40 PM
Looks good now :) I'll be reading this further...

Cayzle
2007-01-26, 12:42 AM
Good coloring, good characters, inventive layout. Personally, the transparent speech bubbles are a little distracting for me. YMMV.

I recommend these Web Comic Tutorials:

http://www.between-worlds.com/tutorials/index.html