PDA

View Full Version : PrC Question (3.5)

Chester
2013-10-12, 08:07 AM
Specifically: "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class."

I'm obviously missing something here. As I read it now, I think that I cast spells as though I leveled up in my previous class, but without the specialized benefits of the previous class?

For instance:

Dread Necromancer 6 / Pale Master 4:
I cast spells as I would a 10th Level Dread Necromancer (up to 5th level)?

OR: Does it progress actual spell level, so I'd be able to cast 6th level spells?

Please clue me in!

mattie_p
2013-10-12, 08:21 AM
Specifically: "+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class."

I'm obviously missing something here. As I read it now, I think that I cast spells as though I leveled up in my previous class, but without the specialized benefits of the previous class?

Correct. The prestige class will tell you what you get. For the Pale Master, this reads:

Spells per Day/Spells Known: Beginning at 2nd level, a pale master gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefi t a character of that class would have gained (improved chance of turning or destroying undead, metamagic or item creation feats, and so on). If he had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a pale master, he must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Back for the rest.

For instance:

Dread Necromancer 6 / Pale Master 4:
I cast spells as I would a 10th Level Dread Necromancer (up to 5th level)?

OR: Does it progress actual spell level, so I'd be able to cast 6th level spells?

Please clue me in!

It advances the spellcasting progression of your previous arcane spellcasting class, not (directly, at least) your spell level. But you would not cast as a 10th level Dread Necromancer, but as a 9th Level Dread Necromancer. Pale master does not advance spellcasting at its 1st level. Which means you are limited to 4th level spells.