PDA

View Full Version : Cantrips, Orisons, Others

GilesTheCleric
2013-10-12, 02:06 PM
What are some other names for cantrips and orisons? I've looked through the completes and the PHB, and can't find any others. Knacks are one that I've seen in non-D&D sources. Any are fine, whether from D&D or somewhere else.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-12, 02:14 PM
I think I may have heard them called level 0 spells before... but I'm not sure.
Seriously though, I really don't think psionics, or maneuvers have level 0 stuff in which to give a fancy name. But then again, I really don't know all that much about psionics.

Coidzor
2013-10-12, 02:35 PM
Glancing over at d20srd, there's no 0th-level powers on the lists for Psions/Wilders or Psychic Warriors. I don't think Ardents have 0th level powers either.

I don't know how spell to power erudites work with cantrips/orisons, but they're supposed to be able to learn every spell and power in the game, so presumably they do somehow, even if the cantrips/orisons are learned as 1st level powers.

gorfnab
2013-10-12, 02:50 PM
Pathfinder Psionic classes have access to Talents (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-powers/psionic-talents).
Shadowcasters (ToM) have Fundamentals.

Der_DWSage
2013-10-12, 04:15 PM
...Makes me wonder if level 0 Truenames would be grunts.

In all honesty, I can't verify this at all, but I think one of the 3rd party books referred to the level 0 spells of a certain class as 'tricks.' I failed my knowledge check to recall it, I'm afraid.

Snowbluff
2013-10-12, 05:06 PM
...Makes me wonder if level 0 Truenames would be grunts.

Word of Hair

Remove a piece of hair from target.

Reverse: Regrow lost piece of hair.

Rubik
2013-10-12, 06:02 PM
Glancing over at d20srd, there's no 0th-level powers on the lists for Psions/Wilders or Psychic Warriors. I don't think Ardents have 0th level powers either.

I don't know how spell to power erudites work with cantrips/orisons, but they're supposed to be able to learn every spell and power in the game, so presumably they do somehow, even if the cantrips/orisons are learned as 1st level powers.Erudites get to cast cantrips a certain number of times per day, for free. The Pathfinder conversion lets them use them at will, I believe.

If it matters, Lycanthromancer's psionic power revision uses the 3.0 term, Talents, has you buy them using points called Quanta (5+Int mod at 1st level, with more powerful Talents costing more), and you manifest them either by expending focus or manifesting them exactly like you would with 1st level powers (in which case they're considered 1st level for all purposes).

Der_DWSage
2013-10-12, 06:13 PM
Word of Hair

Remove a piece of hair from target.

Reverse: Regrow lost piece of hair.

More useful than many level 1 Utterances!

Snowbluff
2013-10-12, 07:42 PM
More useful than many level 1 Utterances!

Yes. It breaks the class. Time to nerf it.

John Longarrow
2013-10-12, 08:13 PM
Word of Hair

Removes a Hair

Word of Rogaine

Grows a Hair

Opposites of each other.

Rubik
2013-10-12, 08:21 PM
Word of Hair

Removes a Hair

Word of Rogaine

Grows a Hair

Opposites of each other.Here and there. Hair and Nair.

Doc_Maynot
2013-10-12, 08:47 PM
Gather all of that hair now laying on the ground and you can use Craft (Basket Weaving) even easier now!

Snowbluff
2013-10-12, 08:49 PM
Gather all of that hair now laying on the ground and you can use Craft (Basket Weaving) even easier now!

Now, we've found this to be imbalanced. Truenamer has been overperforming, and Word of Hair has to be weakened.

"Loosens a hair.

Reverse: Strengthens a hair."

We find this will bring the Truenamer back in line with what we intended.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-12, 09:20 PM
Now, we've found this to be imbalanced. Truenamer has been overperforming, and Word of Hair has to be weakened.

"Loosens a hair.

Reverse: Strengthens a hair."

We find this will bring the Truenamer back in line with what we intended.

BARBERIAN OP NERF NOW

do u c wut i did thar

GilesTheCleric
2013-10-12, 09:43 PM
Please stay on topic?

Snowbluff
2013-10-12, 09:47 PM
BARBERIAN OP NERF NOW
It has come to our attention that barbarian's power level has upset the playability of the game. In order to solve this issue, Rage has been removed from the class.
yes
The level 1 playtest revealed that barbarian was underpowered. IN order to bring the barbarian back in line, we have to decided to give barbarian the ability to cast Wish at will, as a spell like ability. While this seems a slight overcompensation, we would like to call to attention the experience cost of Wish. I should do this for a living. This is fun.
EDIT: Sorry.

How about doodads?