View Full Version : And suddenly, a swarm of Bees! (are bee swarms in 3.5?)

Zero grim
2013-10-12, 03:06 PM
I'm planning a dungeon with a bee theme that will be horrible and destroy even the most powerful or heroic challenger, but for this task I need a swarm of bees, are bee swarms stated anywhere in 3.5, I have looked in MM1 and I have done a bit of internet searching and was wondering if anyone knew where i could find them.

thanks in advance :smallsmile:

Lord Vukodlak
2013-10-12, 04:17 PM
d20 Modern has a swarm of sentient killer bees but they use different rules then standard D&D.

Perhaps take a spider swarm and make it airborne wham swarm of bees. Or for a tougher beast take a Locust Swarm and give it poison.

You could also take the Giant Bee which is stated make its damage 2d6+poison then give it swarm traits.

For ungodly horrifying you could take the mob rules from the DMGII and make a "swam" of giant bees.

Psyren
2013-10-12, 04:46 PM
Pathfinder has a Wasp Swarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/bees-and-wasps/wasp/wasp-swarm) you could use. If you wanted to distinguish them, a bee swarm could be modeled simply by taking the wasp swarm and causing it to lose a certain amount of HP everytime it does its swarm attack.

Manly Man
2013-10-12, 10:17 PM
Pathfinder has a Wasp Swarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/vermin/bees-and-wasps/wasp/wasp-swarm) you could use. If you wanted to distinguish them, a bee swarm could be modeled simply by taking the wasp swarm and causing it to lose a certain amount of HP everytime it does its swarm attack.

If they sting something that's chitinous, though, the swarm shouldn't take the damage; the barbs stick to thick skin, but apart from that, they can sting anything repeatedly. Queen bees can also sting over and over again.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-10-12, 10:58 PM
If they sting something that's chitinous, though, the swarm shouldn't take the damage; the barbs stick to thick skin, but apart from that, they can sting anything repeatedly. Queen bees can also sting over and over again.

The only reason a Bee wouldn't lose it stinger is either because it failed to penetrate or it was stinging something of roughly its size or smaller. But as D&D has laid things out even Giant Bees lose there stinger. Its really a matter of size.
I'd just presume that with thousands of bees in the swarm it doesn't really matter that some die stinging out.