PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom of Haven IC

Deadline
2013-10-12, 03:50 PM
http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/114/1600x900_19763_Coastal_towns_2d_fantasy_town_lands cape_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Haven

Victor Carth surveyed the view out his window. It had been a long journey, but at last the refugees fleeing the destruction of BelTran had come to their new home. The majority of his people settled in what looked to be fertile farmland, and with a smaller portion settling on the coast. The fisherman and sailors who had provided the means of escape for the refugees set to work almost immediately to ensure that the struggling new nation could feed its people. The remnant's of Warlord Tetsin's people had managed to escape as well, though the great nomad himself had perished in the fighting. Their customs were somewhat foreign, but they had settled in with the former people of BelTran fairly well.

The pain of loss and betrayal still hung in the hearts of many, but with the passing months it had faded as the people tackled all the work that needed to be done. While he was a leader of men, Victor had never desired a throne for himself, and was still adjusting. He had tried to convince Solana, the mighty Solar who had provided the means for so many innocents to escape the slaughter, to rule the fledgling kingdom, but she had refused. Her argument that she would be more useful to the nation as an ally and advisor rather than a ruler was sound, and Victor had reluctantly taken up the crown. The only honor Solana consented to accept was the right to name the new nation. Rather fittingly, she called it Haven. After all, providing a safe haven to those who would flee pain and suffering was directly in line with the ideals of his goddess, Sophia.

Despite being up to the task, Victor prayed daily for the Blessed Lady to guide his hand and protect his people. He held hope in his heart that he would not fall prey to Gaheris' power madness. At least the former king of BelTran had provided one last service to his former goddess; he now served as a tangible example of failure in the highest degree. The national historians had named the infamous battle "Gaheris' Folly", a fitting label. Victor had tried to pray for Gaheris to return to the light on many occasions, but found he had too much anger in his heart to forgive his former king. Some day he would find the strength to push aside vengeance and let the Blessed Lady's ideals heal his heart.

Deadline
2013-10-12, 03:58 PM
At the break of dawn, Victor makes his preparations to lead his men out into the expansive plains to gather resources and scout possible locations for expansion. Before he leaves, he takes a moment to pray to Sophia.

"Blessed Lady, you have done so much for my people. Now that we are relatively safe from harm, I wish to return the favor, though I am incapable of your generosity. Should any of your faithful find themselves in need of a safe haven, please lead them here. We will provide them food, comfort, and should they desire it, a place to live in peace."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-12, 05:05 PM
You see a beacon in the shape of a coiled couatl in the sky directly above your capital. You sense that this vision is visible only to Sophia's faithful.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-14, 07:35 PM
There is a massive flash of light visible to the west of your capital.

Deadline
2013-10-14, 11:31 PM
The Dragons nod "We will see what we can do to help your friends at some point in time. ".

"I am the priestess of Sophia of the Kingdom of Eliar. We were fighting in a pitched battle against the legions of undead, when suddenly we are here." she stops for a moment "ROLAND! Where is King Roland?!?!!"

"Were you beset upon by the foul Dark Empire as well? Praise be to Sophia for your rescue! I'll send riders to the surrounding countryside, if your King is here, we'll find him." Victor tries to calm the priestess, "You and your people are welcome in our lands. I'll get my healers to tend to your wounded. When your King is found, I would very much like to speak with him and his council regarding the forces you faced, and how we may help."

Victor directs his men to see to the subjects of Eliar's needs, and stays with the priestess of Sophia to await word on the whereabouts of King Roland.

I'm guessing Roland didn't make it out of the fight alive?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 08:52 AM
You receive a sending from Solana:

Returned From Rebels Visit. Supplies Delivered. Have Requests for Weapons and Food. Will Join you Shortly. Should I come disguised or true form?

(You can respond with 25 words or less.)

Deadline
2013-10-16, 10:52 AM
You receive a sending from Solana:

Returned From Rebels Visit. Supplies Delivered. Have Requests for Weapons and Food. Will Join you Shortly. Should I come disguised or true form?

(You can respond with 25 words or less.)

Thank You, Divine One. True form. With remnants of Kingdom of Eliar. They follow Sophia. Their king is missing.

Victor looks to the priestess and says, "Aid is on it's way, milady. Please let your people know that they should not be afraid, they are safe here."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 11:00 AM
Soon after, an almost twelve foot tall, winged woman appears.

http://imageshack.us/a/img443/632/1jzr.jpg
But wearing mithril breastplate, and with a greatsword and longbow strapped to her back.

Greetings, followers of the White Lady. I am Solana, ally to your goddess and to the nation of Haven.

Before leaving Safe Haven, Solana used her Wish SLA to emulate a Mind Blank on herself.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-17, 02:22 AM
No.. Roland did not quite make it *cough*
Actually he was torn to pieces by 5 Zombified Wyverns while under the effect of a hold person spell, and now they are deciding what to animate him as....

She takes a moment to calm down, taking deep breaths to fight back her sobs and tears. "All was lost anyway. The legions of undead from the Kingdom of Arnil had broken over our front line, only my magic and the blessings of Sophia was holding them at bay. The Wyverns were behind us tearing the bowmen to pieces.. the screams..." She looks back up at you, pools of water in her eyes. "Roland stood alone facing off the elite guard of the Arnil forces, the cult of the sacred rose, he was surrounded, cut off and alone. I tried to rally the knights to reach him. But just as we were beaten back we suddenly appeared here." the tears now run freely down her face. "But if Roland was left behind then he is surely dead by now."
She composed her self again and continued, the talking seeming to be cathartic for her. "We don't know much about the Kingdom of Arnil or the Order of the Rose, but our spies reported activity with several death cults - including the order - who worship Inautia and even a cult of the Vile god within the Kingdom of Arnil who are all active. They outnumbered us by almost 2 to 1." she almost laughed, more tears to her eyes, you can tell she had strong feelings for Roland. "Roland was not afraid, he saw the fight against evil as our primary duty in this world, only secondary after caring for the well-being of his people. But our spies had reported rapid growth in the forces of Arnil. We feared that we had to act now or be overrun. Had it not been for Sophia we would all be dead now."
She fell to her knees, openly crying now. The screams of pain from the maimed and wounded in her ranks rising above the silence of the shocked and confused troops she had with her.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 03:22 PM
I am sorry for your loss, Priestess. Sophia has told me something of these happenings. It was She who sent you here. She intended to send Roland with you, but was blocked from doing so by the Vile One.

Solana reaches out to comfort the priestess.

I regret to inform you that Roland has indeed fallen... But Sophia is even now working to salvage things. He is very unlikely to return as an undead, at least. You should know that Inautia is not a vile power, and is cooperating in this goal. Though news of the Vile One's cult in Arnil is disturbing to say the least.

It seems likely that it was the Vile One's desire for there to be conflict between your nation and Arnil. It certainly was not the White Lady's. As you may know, Inautia fought against the Vile One alongside our Goddess in the Battle of BelTarn. I saw this with my own eyes.

It is my understanding that the two Powers are collaborating to offer Roland a chance to act as an ambassador of sorts between them, to hopefully avert similar tragedies between their worshipers in the future. Such conflicts benefit only the Vile One.

It is her hope that your people can in time forgive Arnil. And, to you in particular, Priestess, she offers to make her disciple, if you will accept such a task, to tell the world the hazards of unneeded conflict.

Deadline
2013-10-18, 11:37 PM
Upon hearing of Roland's death (and possible return), and not knowing what to say to comfort the priestess, Victor simply bows to the priestess and Solana, "Truly the White Lady has shown the people of Eliar a great mercy this day. You are welcome here in Haven. We are a refuge for the followers of Sophia, and those who have suffered at the hands of evil. You and your people are welcome to stay here as long as you need, and may even become a part of Haven, if you would like."

He stands, and offers the priestess a hand up, "But that will have to wait. There are wounded and dying soldiers here and now, and we must attend to them, as the Goddess would. Divine Solana, your healing expertise would be most welcome as well."

Assuming the Priestess and Solana accept, Victor with follow them and help with the wounded (he's got three charges in his healing belt, and may be able to "aid another" on heal checks). Before joining the healing efforts, he instructs his men to form a makeshift hospital in the area. He also sends a rider back to Thoris with a request for healing assistance (and the offer of payment in pearls for services rendered).

Can I assume that Victor's earlier Knowledge(Arcana) check would be sufficient enough to tell him that pearls are a favorite of Gold dragons? And can I also assume that with Haven's massive fishing fleet, some of the RPs they produce are in pearls?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 11:46 PM
Of course I'll assist!

Solana has 3/D heal SLA, 3/D resurrection SLA, and enough raw healing ability to bring... oh, I honestly am unsure how many people back from the brink of death.

So, I guess with her help everyone Gaiya wants to be healed can be healed.

Deadline
2013-10-19, 12:01 AM
Well yeah, I figured she'd help, but Victor doesn't want to order around the being of radiant power who helped save his people from the brink of destruction. :smallwink:

Also, when it comes to following the ideals of his Goddess, Victor likes to err on the side of caution. That's why he's sending a runner to Thoris as well. I figure between all of that (and the priestess if she's not comatose from what Solana just told her), we've got the wounded sorted out.

As followers of the goddess of healing, it would be pretty silly to let the wounded and dying suffer while we had tea and discuss niceties, right? :smallbiggrin:

And am I going to have to send a peace offering of RPs to Arnil because of this? Sophia's followers are devoted, but they aren't made of money. :smalltongue:

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 12:07 AM
Well yeah, I figured she'd help, but Victor doesn't want to order around the being of radiant power who helped save his people from the brink of destruction. :smallwink:

Also, when it comes to following the ideals of his Goddess, Victor likes to err on the side of caution. That's why he's sending a runner to Thoris as well. I figure between all of that (and the priestess if she's not comatose from what Solana just told her), we've got the wounded sorted out.

As followers of the goddess of healing, it would be pretty silly to let the wounded and dying suffer while we had tea and discuss niceties, right? :smallbiggrin:

And am I going to have to send a peace offering of RPs to Arnil because of this? Sophia's followers are devoted, but they aren't made of money. :smalltongue:

I don't think you'll have to send a peace offering. In fact, they're strongly considering having Sophia be portrayed as part of a new Fresco in their main temple, in a positive light.

I'm hoping I'll be able to tell you the details later.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-19, 12:17 AM
Yes you know about pearls and Gold Dragons, and yes your fishing fleet bought some back. :smallsmile:

Chilingsworth
2013-10-19, 08:57 PM
All contactable Sophia worshipers in Haven (The PCs, Solana, the high priestess, and Nauhatl) hear the following from their Goddess:

My people, a great tragedy has transpired today. Our foe, the Vile One, first pinned the noble Roland in place before the armies of Arnil, who he had influenced to strike at the nation of Eliar, then used Roland's compassion and Goodness against him, leading him to desire genocide against all the citizens of Arnil. Meanwhile prompting his spirit to return as an exaggerated mockery of an angel. I Saved him (and the many innocents who live in Arnil) but had to banish him to a place beyond the Vile One's reach to do so.
All that remains of Roland in this world is his sword, empowered by his immutable devotion.

In the aftermath of these events, I declare Roland a True Champion of my faith, and swear that the Vile One shall weep poison tears for his treachery.
I also ask my faithful to not strike at Arnil. For those of you who live in lands controlled by Arnil and the Dark Empire to keep abreast of events in your lands, particularly as these nations contact new cultures. If you come under persecution to alert me, and if you are placed in danger to go to ground to preserve yourselves.

The rulers of Arnil have vowed to eradicate the Vile One influence in their midst, and stand under notice that my faithful are protected. It is my hope that they succeed in their hunt. Do not strike them first, but if they strike you, know I will be your shield.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-21, 01:18 AM
Between you all, all of Rolands former troops are fully healed (replace all of the casualties and bring the units to full strength).

In hex #57
As your forces are breaking up for the day you hear trumpets to the south. 900 Gnolls being led by 100 tieflings march to the south of the hex and stop.

A leader comes forward. "I am Gorusun, Captain of the northern force of the Western Orcs. I come in peace wishing to parlay with your leaders."

Deadline
2013-10-21, 09:52 AM
A runner came to inform Victor that they had visitors, though it was unnecessary, he had heard the trumpets. He glanced at Solana and nodded in deference to her, "My apologies Divine One, but it may be wise for you to disguise your true form until we know who we are dealing with. Hopefully peace is truly on their mind."

He strode out of the tent and headed out to meet the strangers. Even though Solana was here, Victor couldn't help but feel Oskar's absence. His old mentor would do more good back at the capital, but this was the first time he would be without the old Artificer's counsel. His troops parted to let him pass, and he walked up to the new arrival.

"Greetings Gorusun. I am Victor Carth, Protector of the Free States of Haven, and devoted of the Goddess Sophia. We seek no quarrel but with the followers of the Vile God. What is it you wish to discuss?"

Chilingsworth
2013-10-21, 05:00 PM
Solana nods and takes of a human form (basically looking like herself, except smaller, wingless, and with blue eyes.)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-21, 08:35 PM
Gorusun nods, it is clear that he is holding back some emotion. His demeanor is still and formal. "I bring a greeting from the might Orc warlord, and my employer Karthis. To the west and south is our lands and you would wish to request an agreement for peace with your nation to ensure that there is no conflict."
You can tell that the 'no conflict' with you part bothers him.

OOC: A Gather information check would tell you that he is known as Deathstep, or Gorusun, the leader of Gorusun's human-slayers.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-21, 08:52 PM
Solana's gather info:
[roll0]

If she makes the check, she'll whisper the information to Victor.

Also.

Her eyes defocus for a moment. Then, she looks gravely concerned.

Pardon, I just remembered something I must attend to.
bluff: [roll]1d20+19[roll]

She then leaves and as soon as she believes herself to be out of sight, she teleports. First attempting to teleport to her Goddess' location, (if that is impossible, or she has insufficient information to attempt it) to the capital, where her scrying focus is to attempt to scry on her goddess (which Sophia instructed her to do if she was unable to teleport from the information she sent her.) Then she teleports to Sophia's location.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-21, 08:53 PM
oops on the bluff roll:
[roll0]

(The other notable followers of Sophia present probably recognize that she was just contacted.)

Deadline
2013-10-22, 01:26 AM
Gorusun nods, it is clear that he is holding back some emotion. His demeanor is still and formal. "I bring a greeting from the might Orc warlord, and my employer Karthis. To the west and south is our lands and you would wish to request an agreement for peace with your nation to ensure that there is no conflict."
You can tell that the 'no conflict' with you part bothers him.

OOC: A Gather information check would tell you that he is known as Deathstep, or Gorusun, the leader of Gorusun's human-slayers.

Victor listens to Solana before she excuses herself, and considers Gorusun's words. Taking note of who he is and that he isn't pleased to be there, Victor responds, "Please take word back to your employer that the Free States of Haven have heard of his mighty reputation, and we accept his offer of peace. We hope our two peoples can, in time, become allies. Our Goddess is the deity of Strength, something embodied in full force by both our peoples. We would be well served to learn from one another, and in so doing become even stronger.

Let him know that the lands to his north and east are our domain. We acknowledge and respect his domain, and will stay clear of it as well as alert him to possible threats we uncover, as long as he will do the same.

Lastly, as a gesture of good faith, inform him of a new threat. A mighty Dark Empire has arisen in the east, and threatens all. Haven stands in opposition to their tyranny, and would be honored to have the Mighty Karthis stand with us."

Victor gives a slight nod to Gorusun. "Thank you for bringing this message to me. Your professionalism reflects well on you, and your employer. Good day, and may the White Lady grace your journey."

Victor waits for the envoy to leave before heading back to his tent to finish preparations to depart. They had a lot of ground to cover if this Orc warlord was afoot. He only hoped he wouldn't have to fight a war on two fronts. If peace wasn't an option, then these Orcs would see the true might of the Goddess of Strength.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-22, 01:48 AM
OOC:
Pretty much all there is. The Tiefling turns his Gnoll troops south and departs.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-29, 01:23 AM
The plains are still and quiet, but for the chirping of grass-hoppers and the occasional whinny of a wild horse. A gentle gust of wind blows through the tall grass, rustling against the dry bracken, and vanishes away over the treetops to the East, leaving behind the faint scent of ripening fruit and wild flowers- the scent of early summer, young and unblemished. A horse stamps its hooves, shifts slightly. All is still- the world seems to hold its breath.

The horses notice it first- a pricking of the ears, a nervous whinny, and the herd begins to shift. A black speck appears in the distance, still far, but approaching quickly; the ground begins to shake slightly, as if trembling under the weight of a giant. The rumbling intensifies as the speck approaches, becoming first a spot, then a shape, before finally showing itself to be a group of men on horseback, riding hard. Within half a mile of you, individual figures can be picked out- many of the men ride two to a horse, their armour is dented and damaged, and few are without wounds, most fresh. A single standard flies forlornly at the back of the unit- a White Rose on a white field, stained with grime and blood.

The men keep riding as if they intend to go right on past you- they have made no indication that they have noticed your unit.

((Not sure if you were being stealthy or not, so I left it up to you.))

Deadline
2013-10-29, 01:04 PM
Hex 19

Victor sighed as he wracked his brain trying to recall any information on the heraldry. That sort of thing was what Oskar was good at, unfortunately, and his second in command was miles away at the moment. He looked back at his troops before making up his mind. They were good men, all, and he did not want to get them killed. But if this force intended harm to Haven, then it was up to them to stop it.

Victor left the hilltop and strode back to his unit commanders, "The Tetsin's 1st and 2nd will circle round and prepare a flank charge. Stay hidden, and do nothing without my signal. Carth's Company and I will ride out to intercept them. By the grace of the White Lady, let us hope they are friendly." The men snapped off salutes and went about their orders efficiently.

Victor mounted up, and led his horsemen out of hiding and into the path of the mysterious, rose-bearing cavalry unit. In the middle of a flat section of the plain, amidst the grass gently waving in the wind, Victor and his men waited. The company standard bearer holding the Banner of Haven proudly as it flapped in the wind.

OOC: One unit of light cavalry pops up, easily visible on the plains, and flying the Banner of Haven.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-29, 01:45 PM
At the sight of the banner, and the men holding it, Kalen cursed inwardly and barked a sharp halt order. Horsed reared and balked around him, and Kalen's own mount, Chivalry, took a full second before it noticed its reigns pulling taught- the poor beast was bone weary and driven half to death. Just like his men. He took another cursory glance around his surroundings, though there was no need- he already knew that if these men meant to kill them, they were as good as dead. His soldiers were weak from fatigue, and the lighter armoured cavalrymen, no more than 200 yards from them, could run them down like wild dogs if they turned tail and fled.

Uttering a silent prayer to His Lady, Kalen walked Chivalry out to the front of the unit, stopping when he stood at its head, a good pace apart from the bedraggled troupe that had once been one of BelTran's finest. Even with his armour battered and dirtied, the golden trim now more brown than gold, there was a certain amount of splendor in his stance, sitting tall in the saddle and lance held upright. Raising his voice to the winds, he hailed the strangers with a fearless voice, a prideful voice, knowing that these words might very well be his last.

"We are the White Rose Company, once sworn to the nation of BelTran, now sworn to fight the Dark Empire to our last breath. If you are a friend, you are most welcome. If you are a foe..." Kalen paused for a second. Looking behind him, he felt a measure of pride as his men rose a little in their seats, steel in their eyes. "If you are a foe, you will find the breath is not so easily torn from our lungs."

Deadline
2013-10-29, 02:23 PM
At Kalen's words, relief washes over Victor's face. He closes his eyes and utters a mental prayer of thanks to his Goddess. He rides up towards Kalen with a wide grin as he announces, "If you are a foe of the Dark Empire, then you are welcome here! You are in the Free States of Haven. We are, all of us, devoted followers of Sophia and most of us are from BelTran, though Haven welcomes all who have suffered at the hands of the Dark Empire." He nods to Kalen and says, "I am Haven's current Lord Protector, Victor Carth."

He looks at the bedraggled yet proud men following Kalen and says, "I ask that you and your men be guests in our camp tonight. Our healers will attend to you, and you will be well fed. We have much to discuss, and if you are willing I would hear the tale of how you avoided the clutches of the Dark Empire."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 12:33 AM
Lord Protector!

A white cloud coalesces into the form of Lydia and a pair of heavily armed and armored figures you don't recognize.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/Chad_Picard/halforcfighter_zps5408ec0c.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Chad_Picard/media/halforcfighter_zps5408ec0c.jpg.html)

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b524/Chad_Picard/race_aasimar_zps8d19cde4.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/Chad_Picard/media/race_aasimar_zps8d19cde4.jpg.html)

Each of the men has a raven on his shoulder.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-30, 02:11 AM
Some luck at last, Kalen thought as the man approached. Thank the Goddess. Shedding his helmet and indicating to his company to sit at ease, he could not help the smile from spreading over his face. There chances had seemed slim, but here they were, right out of the enemy's clutches to live another day. Thank the Goddess indeed.

"I am Kalen Blackwood, and these are my men, the White Rose Company. Haven..." Kalen seemed to ponder on the word, testing it. "I thought that at least some of BelTran's people must have survived. I'm glad to be proven right. My men and I will be more than happy to share your camp- and I'll tell what stories I have."

Upon seeing the new arrivals materialise, Kalen's hand strayed to his lance, until he saw the priest's garments the woman wore. Realising the visitors were there to talk to Victor, he remained silent.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 02:39 AM
Lydia turns to Kalen

You're fellow Refugees?

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-30, 09:32 AM
"Refugees?" the word seemed to amuse Kalen, and he could not help a small chuckle as he looked at the sorry group behind him. "Yes, I suppose we are. My name is Kalen Blackwood, and these are my men. To whom do I have the honour of speaking to?"

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 09:36 AM
The woman looks sympathetic.

I am Lydia, disciple of Sophia and head of Her church in Haven, formerly of the disbanded nation of Eliar.

She bows politely.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-30, 10:07 AM
"Then I truly am honoured," Kalen replied, touching a gauntleted fist to his heart and bowing his head in deference. "It seems The Lady's mercy has shone on my company to lead us to you- without aid we were all but finished." Taking another look at his men, Kalen turned to Victor before continuing. "My apologies, but some of my men are in desperate need of healing. Could we begin towards your camp?"

Deadline
2013-10-30, 10:08 AM
Victor nods and is in the middle of giving orders to his men to stand down and help the White Rose Company soldiers when the high priestess of Sophia and her armed bodyguards materialize. Victor bows his head in a gesture of respect, "High Priestess Lydia, what news brings you here?"

In response to Kalen's request for healing, Victor holds up his hand to Lydia and asks, "If your business isn't too urgent, Priestess, would you come with us and assist in tending to the wounded?"

Assuming she agrees, the camp is not far away, and contains another 200 cavalry, mostly composed of refugees from the now destroyed nomads of Warlord Tetsin.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 10:18 AM
Lydia bows respectfully.

Lord Protector, there seems to be a disturbance in Grace Harbor. I've been told that over the past weeks, twenty people have disappeared. Local authorities can't seem to determine the cause. I'm here to notify you personally because sending spells would be an insufficient means of communication. I've also taken the initiative to begin assembly of a task force to address the problem. These are Ambrose and Korey Fournier She indicates the half-orc and human(?), respectively.

Two of the best my troop has to offer.

Lord Protector
The light skinned and haired man bows.

Lord Protector
The half-orc nods.

Of course we'll assist in healing any wounded you have.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 10:42 AM
So Panda, you're coming in with a full unit, right? I mean the battle wounds are just flavor text? If so, I think it's safe to say there's enough healing resources available to restore everyone. If the wounds are real, there still might be enough. :smallwink:

Deadline
2013-10-30, 10:48 AM
So Panda, you're coming in with a full unit, right? I mean the battle wounds are just flavor text? If so, I think it's be safe to say there's enough healing resources available to restore everyone. If the wounds are real, there still might be enough. :smallwink:

That should be the case. At some point we'll need to fluff explain how he got T-Rexes. Maybe a parting gift from Solana? Perhaps Lydia performs a minor miracle of Sophia? But yeah, according to the Champion rules, the White Rose company is riding Warbeast T-Rexes. Also, do you need to have a little backup for this adventure you are setting up for Kalen? I can still send the Adept and Warrior along, if necessary. And if it won't take more than a day or two, Oskar could come along (assuming it takes place after he has finished crafting the Sending Stones) if necessary.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 10:58 AM
Back up will definitely be needed. The adventure features an intelligent foe above CR 6, potentially in favorable conditions. Plus a fair number of other things. Also, someone good at investigation would come in handy. I'd even be willing to let you (or someone) play Nauhatl for this. It'd be a decent chance to see how she performs in combat against a reasonable foe.

Deadline
2013-10-30, 11:07 AM
Back up will definitely be needed. The adventure features an intelligent foe above CR 6, potentially in favorable conditions. Plus a fair number of other things. Also, someone good at investigation would come in handy. I'd even be willing to let you (or someone) play Nauhatl for this. It'd be a decent chance to see how she performs in combat against a reasonable foe.

Assuming Gaiyamato is cool with it, and this event takes place after Oskar is finished crafting, I'd be happy to include him. He's an 8th level artificer who is built to provide backup (and the xp from the adventure will provide him with lots of crafting fodder :smallwink:). It sounds like the followers might be outclassed, but I could include them as well - the adept (a devoted "priestess" of Sophia) makes a fine walking hospital, but the warrior (a city watch captain) might get mulched. Victor will be busy finishing up my already declared exploration actions and having what I hope will be a diplomatic meeting with a unit of Centaurs. I haven't heard from Obscurejones, and I think Real Life is going to keep him from participating for a while.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-30, 01:05 PM
Assuming we aren't mobbed by so many creatures that Kalen runs out of AoOs, he's pretty much built to protect a party by locking down attackers with Stand Still- so you shouldn't have to worry too much about anyone dying.

Deadline
2013-10-30, 02:17 PM
After the wounded are healed and allowed to rest for a few hours, Victor gathers Lydia, her two attendees, and Kalen together in his command tent. "The news you bring is troubling, Lydia. But I cannot go, as I am needed here." Victor looks over to Kalen. "I'm afraid I cannot offer you much of the needed rest and recuperation time you and your men need here. This camp is meager, and we must break camp in the morning to continue on." Victor hesitates for a moment, looking for a moment like a simple soldier rather than the leader of a kingdom. He steels himself and raises head and addresses Kalen, "However, you and your men would be most welcome at any town in Haven. Once you are settled and rested, however, I would ask something of you. Most of our people are laborers and craftsmen. With the Dark Empire not far away, we need to be able to protect the people of Haven. To do that, we need warriors. Would you and your men join us in protecting the people of Haven?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 02:36 PM
Speaking of warriors Lord Protector, I've heard rumors of a mercenary band that would serve our cause very well. Apparently there is a band devoted to our Goddess. I wish I knew more, but maybe you could make inquiries?

As for the problem in Grace Harbor, I have another couple of wind walk spells prepared. I can transport anyone you wish with them. Do you have any personnel to spare?

Deadline
2013-10-30, 03:46 PM
Speaking of warriors Lord Protector, I've heard rumors of a mercenary band that would serve our cause very well. Apparently there is a band devoted to our Goddess. I wish I knew more, but maybe you could make inquiries?

As for the problem in Grace Harbor, I have another couple of wind walk spells prepared. I can transport anyone you wish with them. Do you have any personnel to spare?

Victor nods to Lydia and hastily writes three notes before stamping his seal on them. "I'll look into the mercenaries. I think there are three individuals in Safe Haven that may be able to help. Look for Quartermaster Oskar, Watch Captain Cael, and Devotee Aria. Give them these letters and they will help you."

Victor turns back to Kalen. "You do not need to make your decision to join us right away, of course. Take your men and meet Lydia in Grace Harbor. She will see to it that they are well cared for. Look around, meet the people, and see if Haven is a place you could call home. In addition, if you could see to this issue Lydia has mentioned, I would be most grateful."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-30, 07:03 PM
Lydia nods.

I can take a few more passengers via wind walk. I could use the opportunity to give you something of an aerial tour of the realm.

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-31, 02:35 AM
A wolfish grin settles on Kalen's face at Victor's request. "There is no need to wait," he replied, his eyes flashing darkly, "I was about to request you let us join your fight. My men, as much as any, have business to settle with the Dark Empire." Turning to face Lydia, he continued. "As for your problem, I would be more than happy to help. It will be a while before the Company is fit to ride again, and even then I will need to see about finding new mounts."

Whistling to call over a soldier from his troupe, Kalen hurriedly whispered orders into his ear. Turning back to the group, he said "If you could give one of my men directions to your nearest settlement, my company will begin their journey there on the morrow- now that we are in friendly land, there is no need for rush. I would be honoured to take your 'aerial tour of the land', priestess. I am ready to leave whenever you are."

Chilingsworth
2013-10-31, 02:44 AM
New mounts, you say?

Well, I have an idea that might work. It will take some time, though. Might you be willing to assist with this issue?

Hearing the rest of the Captain's statement, Lydia reverses herself.

I apologize, sometimes I talk before giving others time to finish.

In any case. Yes, let's be off.

(she gives your man directions to the nearest settlement first)

ChaChaPanda
2013-10-31, 02:54 AM
Should I start posting in Shadow over Grace Harbour now?

Chilingsworth
2013-10-31, 03:00 AM
Gentle Goddess, White Lady, grant us the speed of the winds!
Wind Walk.

You feel yourself become insubstantial. You can see Lydia's misty form rise, and find you're able to do likewise.

The first stop on the tour is the Capital. The land flies by below you. But you don't care. Now that the threat of immediate death has been lifted from you, you notice a shining beacon, a glowing image of a coiled couatl, high above a small town. You sense this is visible only to followers of Sophia, and that it should be visible for many, many, miles.

You land in the courtyard of a simple, though elegant, palace. Lydia is greeted by servitors who summon the people the Lord Protector indicated.

She then recasts the wind walk, to include the new passengers.

She takes you over the Town of New Eliar. It's style is quite different from that of the capital, and it appears as though it was... shifted... from another location in its entirety. It is further from the capital than Grace Harbor is, and a road to connect it is still under construction.

You finally arrive at Grace Harbor.

please move to the Shadow Over Grace Harbor IC thread.

yes. :smallsmile:

Chilingsworth
2013-11-01, 07:43 PM
Lydia is no longer present in Haven, having wind walked on another mission.
(though she takes one of the sending stones with her in addition to her own (the one earmarked for the rebels.))

Gaiyamato
2013-11-02, 03:58 AM
Hex #36

Your scouts approach the Centaur camp which immediately raises the alarm. A large Centaur wearing a breastplate and holding a huge bow comes forward.

"These are Centaur lands. What do you want?"

Chilingsworth
2013-11-02, 04:14 AM
Meanwhile, in the Capital of Safe Haven:

The sending stone operator receives a message:

Lydia reporting. Rebels contacted. Gheris in area. Attempting extraction if possible, combat if not.

Deadline
2013-11-02, 06:23 PM
Hex #36

Your scouts approach the Centaur camp which immediately raises the alarm. A large Centaur wearing a breastplate and holding a huge bow comes forward.

"These are Centaur lands. What do you want?"

Victor nods to the centaur. "I am Victor Carth, Lord Protector of the Free States of Haven. We are scouting the surrounding area to ensure that our people are safe, and looking for resources. As to what I want, we are faithful followers of the White Lady, so I would like peace with your people, if you would have it. If that is amenable, I'm certain we can discuss further mutually beneficial arrangements between us."

Victor motions to his men and says, "I would request that my men and I be allowed to rest here this evening. I have much to share with you of the surrounding area, and would like to talk more with you about your people."

Essentially, if the Centaurs aren't hostile, Victor will tell them of all he has encountered thus far. Thoris, the Orcs (and the tentative peace he holds with them), and the dangers of the Dark Empire. He will try to convince them of the classic safety in numbers bit, and if it seems like they might be interested, he'll offer an opportunity to join Haven. If they decide not to join up right now, he'll also offer food and other aid, should they need it. If you want to play all that out, I'd be happy to, but I know you've got a ton on your plate (and I'm a little limited on time for the next couple of weeks). Just let me know what you'd like to do. :smallsmile:

Gaiyamato
2013-11-02, 06:41 PM
Actually the Centaurs are not hostile, but they have no desire to be caught up in your wars. So they will want to send you on your way.

We can just skip it if that would be easier.

Deadline
2013-11-02, 08:33 PM
Hex #36

Victor nods at the centaur's words. "I would not want your people to come to harm because of me, so I understand your desire to remain apart." He mounts up and turns back. "The Dark Empire is one that threatens all, and they will not leave you to your lands. Should you encounter trouble, with anyone, know that you are welcome in Haven. And should you need assistance, we will heed your call for aid. My men and I will be gone from your lands in the morning."

They don't even want to ask for money? They just want us gone? Well, I guess we'll have to try and make friends elsewhere. :smallfrown:

Aren't there any good creatures who might even consider joining up with a good nation? Oh well, despite his considerable personal charisma, Victor is a soldier at heart, not a diplomat. :smalltongue:

Gaiyamato
2013-11-02, 08:59 PM
"I will take your offer to our leaders. I thank you. But we do not like those who tresspass."

Deadline
2013-11-02, 09:03 PM
"I will take your offer to our leaders. I thank you. But we do not like those who tresspass."

"Understood. If you let me know the extent of your lands, I will tell my people to avoid them."

Gaiyamato
2013-11-02, 09:13 PM
OOC:
The Centaurs draw you a map. I will add them to the political campaign map.

Deadline
2013-11-03, 01:16 AM
Victor makes note of their lands, and will pull his troops out of Hex #36 on the first day of week 4 (when they can move again). Also, he sends word to the Orc Warlord Karthis (tortor), letting them know that Haven has given their word to defend the Centaurs, and would appreciate their aid should it be necessary. I sent a PM to tortor with the message.

Chilingsworth
2013-11-27, 08:12 PM
Victor receives a Sending from Solana:

Found DE Splinter Group and a Band of Aasimar Mercenaries. Invited Mercs to Haven to Negotiate Employment. Waiting your permission to contact DE rebels.

Deadline
2013-11-29, 03:12 PM
Victor receives a Sending from Solana:

Found DE Splinter Group and a Band of Aasimar Mercenaries. Invited Mercs to Haven to Negotiate Employment. Waiting your permission to contact DE rebels.

Victor considers this message with a great deal of surprise, and then responds, "The Mercenary services would be most welcome. I'll make sure a delegation is awaiting their arrival in the capitol. The Dark Empire news is interesting. If there is a new rebel faction, they would indeed make good allies, but take care Divine One, the Dark Empire is not to be trusted. Assume any contact with them to be a trap, until it is proven otherwise. It could be an elaborate trap to eliminate you or banish you from the mortal world. Such a loss would be a terrible tragedy. That said, we must at least attempt to contact them, so consider the permission given."

Chilingsworth
2013-11-29, 09:56 PM
You receive another Sending from Solana (she keeps a few prepared most days)

Mercenaries are on their way. Have set up persona to deal with the Rebels. How's situation in Grace Harbor? Please stop calling me Divine One.

Gaiyamato
2014-01-15, 10:20 PM
Week 4

Update
You receive word that the Gnolls have rebelled against the Orcs and the Orc empire is breaking up. A message from their leader confirms that they desire to remain at peace with Haven.
A large battle was fought on the plans near the Centaurs between the Gnoll and Centaur forces. The Fey army was utterly destroyed and the Fey now have a peace agreement that has made them subserviant to the Gnolls to a degree.

The gnomes of the plains have also rebelled and have forged an alliance with the Gnoll Republic in order to strengthen themselves against the remains of the Western Orc Empire.

You also receive many rumors of the carnage within the Dark Empire.
The BelTran rebels survived a night of assassinations. The Grove has held firm against the forces of Gaheris who has retreated into the Hobgoblin lands and fortified himself.
The Sunday of the previous week is being called the "Night of Many Knives". Assassins came pouring out of the woodwork killing and destroying - even multiple attempts against Gaheris - who now calls himself Tchar'Ka'Nak- The Dark One. The Dark Empire capital is in ruins with a 3-way civil war, thousands are dead. The Orcs have rebelled but are being butchered by Draconians in the south. Red Spire is rumored to have been almost entirely burned to the ground.
The Vashar rebelled and their lead has fled to the west of you back to the Vashar island after a failed attempt to magically control Gaheris and seize the throne of the Dark Empire.
Lady Vecta has gone missing and is thought dead. The lands she controlled - the former lands of BelTran - have rebelled and are calling themselves ThulTran. Though who their leader is, is still unclear. The Frost Giants of the north also rebelled and are marching forces against ThulTran and the Dark Empire in an attempt to seize control of the situation and destroy the Lich Nijtaak.

Tuesday Morning Event
A ship crewed entirely by Vasharan pulls into port at Haven requesting to open trade negotiations. A Vasharan zombie swims to shore with a message for Victor.

I have a deal that might interest you. I am willing to work with you against Gaheris.