PDA

View Full Version : Mythic handbook?

Unbalanced
2013-10-12, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, just wondering that now the playtest is over and the official book is out (and much MUCH better), is there a Mythic Handbook available for me to browse for advice? Or one in the works at all??

Ailowynn
2013-10-12, 08:44 PM
*Reads post*

*Runs off to create handbook(s)*

Saidoro
2013-10-12, 11:14 PM
Mythic Handbook:
Be a primary spellcaster.
Take the ability that lets you cast any spell on your list whenever you want.
Nothing else is necessary.

Or, to be slightly less silly: Mythic's mechanics are relevant to a large number of different roles and playstyles which makes it difficult to make a single cohesive guide for it. Furthermore, its best tricks (like the cast anything on your list powers) are simply extensions of existing systems and the techniques and strategies don't differ much from those used with the default systems, making further handbooking somewhat redundant.

CockroachTeaParty
2013-10-12, 11:18 PM
I'm in the process of creating a handbook for the Mythic rules. There's a lot to cover. I've gotten through the universal path abilities, the Archmage path, and the Champion path, and I'm roughly in the middle of the Guardian path. So I have three more paths to go, then mythic feats, mythic spells, legendary items, mythic items... :smallsigh:

I'm sure it'll be finished before the sun goes red giant.

Unbalanced
2013-10-13, 06:21 AM
I'm in the process of creating a handbook for the Mythic rules. There's a lot to cover. I've gotten through the universal path abilities, the Archmage path, and the Champion path, and I'm roughly in the middle of the Guardian path. So I have three more paths to go, then mythic feats, mythic spells, legendary items, mythic items... :smallsigh:

Very nice work.
Yes, I imagine it would be a big task.

Can't wait to see the results.

Looks like I'll just have to wing the mythic choices for my character this time around :P

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-13, 09:32 AM
Be a primary spellcaster.
Take the ability that lets you cast any spell on your list whenever you want.
Nothing else is necessary.

Wild Arcana is even better than you make it sound: You get to quicken it for free! Seriously, their Wizard Boner was showing big time when they made the Archmage path.

Alleran
2013-10-13, 09:36 AM
Wild Arcana is even better than you make it sound: You get to quicken it for free! Seriously, their Wizard Boner was showing big time when they made the Archmage path.
The Wild Arcana and Inspired Spell powers (arcane and divine, respectively) have in fact been errata'd. They now cost a standard action and a use of mythic power to activate them, and only allow you to cast a spell that has a casting time of a standard action or less.

EDIT: Here (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gl) is the link.

Saidoro
2013-10-13, 10:03 AM
The Wild Arcana and Inspired Spell powers (arcane and divine, respectively) have in fact been errata'd. They now cost a standard action and a use of mythic power to activate them, and only allow you to cast a spell that has a casting time of a standard action or less.

Oh darn. Now you can only cast almost any spell you want whenever you want instead of absolutely any spell. What a travesty for those poor unfortunate primary spellcasters.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-13, 10:31 AM
Like I said, Wizard Boner.

Not that I can talk, I tend to get them too when I homebrew. Accidentally showing favoritism to classes you like to play yourself is distressingly easy.

G.Cube
2013-10-13, 10:38 AM
I'm gping to wave my "new guy" flag and ask, Mythic?

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-13, 10:43 AM
I'm gping to wave my "new guy" flag and ask, Mythic?

This stuff (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/mythic). The book, Mythic Adventures, came out a couple months ago. The idea is that there's this "mythic juice" that PCs can drink to gain superpowers beyond what a character beyond their level is supposed to be able to do.

Psyren
2013-10-13, 01:02 PM
You can also just give mythic abilities to mundanes and not to casters to help bridge the gap between them.

Awesome! Can't wait!

CockroachTeaParty
2013-10-13, 02:03 PM

Nice catch. I'll have to update me guide-in-making. They're still amazing abilities.

anacalgion
2013-10-13, 02:35 PM
You can also just give mythic abilities to mundanes and not to casters to help bridge the gap between them.

See, that was my gut reaction too. Anyone know if there's enough nice things to make some of the mundanes (fighter, rogue,etc) tier 3? I figure most of the mythic stuff helps but having not read much into it I thought I'd ask.

Craft (Cheese)
2013-10-13, 02:51 PM
There are a few nice things for mythic mundane characters, but there's nothing that even comes close to bringing them up to tier 3. For the most part mundanes get stuff like "Add your Tier to your attack roll when you make an attack of opportunity" and "+8 bonus to climb checks" while casters get "Lose two opposition schools" and "Pull nearly any spell you want out of your ass, whenever."

That's not to say it wouldn't help, but it's nowhere close to a solution to the problem.

Psyren
2013-10-13, 03:07 PM
There are a few nice things for mythic mundane characters, but there's nothing that even comes close to bringing them up to tier 3. For the most part mundanes get stuff like "Add your Tier to your attack roll when you make an attack of opportunity" and "+8 bonus to climb checks" while casters get "Lose two opposition schools" and "Pull nearly any spell you want out of your ass, whenever."

That's not to say it wouldn't help, but it's nowhere close to a solution to the problem.

Nah, there's way better stuff than that - e.g. Shatter Spells, Destroyer, Indomitable, Dimensional Grappler, Cage Enemy (aka 3.5 Stand Still), Meat Shield, Ranged Disarm, Imprinting Hand, Cling to Life, To the Death, Immovable, Draw Fire, Burst Through, Adamantine Mind, Maneuver Expert, Clean Blade etc.

Alleran
2013-10-13, 10:26 PM
Nice catch. I'll have to update me guide-in-making. They're still amazing abilities.
They are indeed. Not as amazing as they were, but still amazing.

Baroncognito
2013-10-14, 12:07 AM
The bullroarers simultaneously shatter if all five are swung at the same time while their bearer stands within the eye of a massive hurricane.

This just sounds like fun.