View Full Version : Optimally utilizing a wildshape ranger

Stille_Nacht
2013-10-12, 09:32 PM
So, my relatively new DnD folk have this party:
Wildshape Ranger
Wildshape Ranger
Psion
Warblade

Now, seeing as they're level 2, most of the heavy lifting is the Warblade's job (2 attacks and +d6 to damage rolls will do that), the rangers are convincing random wildlife to fight with us and scouting with other wildlife, and the psion is just spamming grease and disable.

My problem is that while right now the rangers seems satisfied, they will be in the city soon.

I don't want anyone to feel useless, and I know wildshape variant rangers are supposed to be "tier 3", so i'm wondering about more ways they can be utilized. Will they just have to accept being weaker until level 5?

on a sidenote, is there a list of "best animals to wildshape into"? i don't remember off the top of my head everything about panthers, etc. ><

Boci
2013-10-12, 09:46 PM
You can have vermin and scavengers in the city, and allow them access to more social skills (they will need to retrain though). My understanding is that a wilfshaping ranger will be weaker until they reach level 5 though.

As for wildshape options, I believe the official guide is "Fleshrakers for everyone" written on a piece of fleshraker hide.

Also just checking: how is the warblade getting two attacks at level two? Are they dual wielding? Shouldn't they not be able to use a +1d6 damage strike then?

eggynack
2013-10-12, 09:51 PM
My favorite wild shape form is the desmodu hunting bat, though that might be better on a druid, because druids have more to do from behind an impenetrable wall of air and AC.

Stille_Nacht
2013-10-12, 09:52 PM
You can have vermin and scavengers in the city, and allow them access to more social skills (they will need to retrain though). My understanding is that a wilfshaping ranger will be weaker until they reach level 5 though.

As for wildshape options, I believe the official guide is "Fleshrakers for everyone" written on a piece of fleshraker hide.

Also just checking: how is the warblade getting two attacks at level two? Are they dual wielding? Shouldn't they not be able to use a +1d6 damage strike then?

ah good advice, hadn't thought of just letting them talk to rats (scouting bonanza). by social skills you mean bluff, diplomacy, etc. right? and dropping the "and later you can become fleshrakers" will probably cheer them heheh.

He's using the "steel wind" maneuver, which lets him hit 2 separate enemies, and the "punishing stance", which reduces ac by 2 but gives 1d6 to his damage rolls. All with a greatsword. I was at a loss that a level one was putting out and average of 25(3d6+2 x 2) damage a turn too xD.

Boci
2013-10-12, 09:57 PM
ah good advice, hadn't thought of just letting them talk to rats (scouting bonanza).

Yeah, also stray dogs and city birds, there are probably some other depending on the climate of the city.

by social skills you mean bluff, diplomacy, etc. right?

Pretty much, the stuff you'd use in a city. Urban ranger has knowledge (local), sense motive and gather information (but loses survival and knowledge (dungeonering and nature) as well as some other swapped class features.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/UA:Ranger_Variant:_Urban_Ranger

He's using the "steel wind" maneuver, which lets him hit 2 separate enemies, and the "punishing stance", which reduces ac by 2 but gives 1d6 to his damage rolls

Okay, just checking. Its punishing stance by the way.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-10-13, 02:46 PM
That's not a bad setup for them to have.

In the city, at least for now, their usefulness will swing heavily based on their skill set. Do you know which skills they have focused on?

Also: you say the campaign is heading into the city. Is it staying there for long?