PDA

View Full Version : I shall drain your power! - Build Advice

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-12, 11:37 PM
Basically, I'm wondering if there's a kind of build that works where the character can drain the essence of/get stronger from those they slay/kill?

I'm mainly asking this out of curiousity, but it may be useful for a campaign where I want to make a character that either makes fun of the "Slay everyone for XP" stereotype or for a kind of campaign where the goal may be to gain more power.

Interesting twist, what if this build is made around draining the power from things like powerful creatures or gods? Is there anything for that?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-12, 11:48 PM
Strength of My Enemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/strengthofMyEnemy.htm) comes to mind. Use it with Persistent Power from the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (also here (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf)), it's still valid for 3.5 like anything else that wasn't reprinted. Keep in mind that even if you're at the maximum Str bonus from it, you'll still deal that Str damage every hit.

That means you'll need Extend Power, Persistent Power, and most likely Metapower, plus Overchannel + Talented with Psicrystal Containment. A Metapower Persistent Strength of My Enemy costs at least 9 powerpoints, so with Overchannel you'll need to be 8th level to do that. At 10th level you can augment it once, and again at 13th, 15th when Overchannel upgrades, and 18th. With Earth Power or a Torc of Power Preservation you can augment it one more time at 20th level, which allows it to give you +18 Str.

Sith_Happens
2013-10-13, 01:15 AM
Illithid Savant

1. Eat brains.
2. ???
3. Profit.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-10-13, 01:18 AM
Try google searching for Greater Consumptive Field using cleric builds, with Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell). That's basically what you're looking for, as long as you're ok with being evil.

Sorry, I hardly ever play clerics and I don't delve into the lulz-broken stuff, so I only know of it, can't really help you out more.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-13, 01:19 AM
Strength of My Enemy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/strengthofMyEnemy.htm) comes to mind. Use it with Persistent Power from the 3.0 Psionics Handbook (also here (http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/msrd/ArcanaOccupationsandFeats.rtf)), it's still valid for 3.5 like anything else that wasn't reprinted. Keep in mind that even if you're at the maximum Str bonus from it, you'll still deal that Str damage every hit.

That means you'll need Extend Power, Persistent Power, and most likely Metapower, plus Overchannel + Talented with Psicrystal Containment. A Metapower Persistent Strength of My Enemy costs at least 9 powerpoints, so with Overchannel you'll need to be 8th level to do that. At 10th level you can augment it once, and again at 13th, 15th when Overchannel upgrades, and 18th. With Earth Power or a Torc of Power Preservation you can augment it one more time at 20th level, which allows it to give you +18 Str.

See if your DM will let you make variants for the other stats.

Also try getting the Spellwarped template (which lets you eat spells that fail to pass your SR for temporary bonuses) and the Worghest race in Dragon #350.

VariSami
2013-10-13, 05:42 AM
For siphoning the power of the gods. there is the Ur-Priest, printed in Book of Vile Darkness and updated in Complete Divine. For a more general drainer build, I am reminded of Lifedrinker (vampires only) and Soul Eaters (non-humanoids only) in Book of Vile Darkness.

Oh, and regarding draining spells: besides the aforementioned Spellwarped template, there is also the Karsite race/template from Tome of Magic.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-13, 11:36 AM
@Non-Quoted:

Thanks for the help, but I'm looking for things that aid my character pernamently. Random temporary buffs although useful, would take away any real motivation to 'harvest' kills or anything.

Illithid Savant

1. Eat brains.
2. ???
3. Profit.

Interesting class, but I'm not really sure how read it.

As in, is it saying "You may only have one special ability granted to you by eating a brain" or is it saying "You may only have one special granted to you per brain?"

For siphoning the power of the gods. there is the Ur-Priest, printed in Book of Vile Darkness and updated in Complete Divine. For a more general drainer build, I am reminded of Lifedrinker (vampires only) and Soul Eaters (non-humanoids only) in Book of Vile Darkness.

Oh, and regarding draining spells: besides the aforementioned Spellwarped template, there is also the Karsite race/template from Tome of Magic.

These all seem to have just the temporary benefits too. Though I wanted to answer this one separately because they all seem interesting and cool and did make me now very interested in trying an energy drain kind of build since those ignore an enemies saving throws, health etc.

Flickerdart
2013-10-13, 11:41 AM
I like the Body Leech (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) for this. You don't kill things (that would be too easy, of course!) but rather encase them in cocoons and slowly drain them dry for extra power points, or usurp their bodies if yours is killed. Combined with all the juicy stuff you can do with captives using the BoVD, you can get a character that downright abhors killing...because it would be such a waste :smallamused:.

Snowbluff
2013-10-13, 11:42 AM
Souleaters get bonuses based on level drain.

Lifedrinkers can drink blood/energy drain in order to gather bonuses and metamagic spells, as well.

Callin
2013-10-13, 11:52 AM
Thief of Life from Faiths of Eberron. Capstone is to steal some of the Soul of those you kill to not age for 1 year.

Its also super easy to get into. You can do it at lvl 2 if you start as a Warrior or Expert and take the 2d6 Sneak Attack as your bonus feat and make the skills class skills. Then you got the Capstone by lvl 11 and then you can take Ur Priest. Since you now steal the life of the followers you might as well start stealing the Magic of the Gods...

I actually really really like this concept for a character. :smallbiggrin:

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-13, 11:52 AM
I like the Body Leech (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925a) for this. You don't kill things (that would be too easy, of course!) but rather encase them in cocoons and slowly drain them dry for extra power points, or usurp their bodies if yours is killed. Combined with all the juicy stuff you can do with captives using the BoVD, you can get a character that downright abhors killing...because it would be such a waste :smallamused:.

Interesting, though this only last as long as in that one combat round it looks like provides 3 power points per round if it manages to do damage. Seems a bit limited :/

Souleaters get bonuses based on level drain.

Lifedrinkers can drink blood/energy drain in order to gather bonuses and metamagic spells, as well.

Not sure if you're suggesting this yourself having not read all the posts, or did see it suggested and mean this as a defense to the temporary benefit's issue I had.

If it's the second, I get what they bonuses are. But they're still temporary.

Snowbluff
2013-10-13, 11:58 AM
It's for in general, but I was so slow getting the post out I got ninjaed.

I would suggest the Vampire Savage progression for Lifedrinker entry.

If it's the second, I get what they bonuses are. But they're still temporary.
I had a whole thing for this a while ago. Not many of these apply to PCs, but here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303888)

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-13, 12:01 PM
Thief of Life from Faiths of Eberron. Capstone is to steal some of the Soul of those you kill to not age for 1 year.

Its also super easy to get into. You can do it at lvl 2 if you start as a Warrior or Expert and take the 2d6 Sneak Attack as your bonus feat and make the skills class skills. Then you got the Capstone by lvl 11 and then you can take Ur Priest. Since you now steal the life of the followers you might as well start stealing the Magic of the Gods...

I actually really really like this concept for a character. :smallbiggrin:

So this class gains the benefit of not aging? I can see potential abuse for that in character creation, but what's the real use of that in a campaign setting?

As for Ur-Priest, am I missing something or is it just the flavour text? Cause the only god draining feature for them I see is the flavour text saying so.

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-13, 12:05 PM
It's for in general, but I was so slow getting the post out I got ninjaed.

I would suggest the Vampire Savage progression for Lifedrinker entry.

I had a whole thing for this a while ago. Not many of these apply to PCs, but here you go. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303888)

So basically gain the vampire template as levels over time?

Would this allow my HD to increase as well or simply allow entry into campaigns with a low starting level?

Also, thanks for the list. But do any of those apply permanent bonuses or are they all temporary?

Snowbluff
2013-10-13, 12:12 PM
So basically gain the vampire template as levels over time?

Would this allow my HD to increase as well or simply allow entry into campaigns with a low starting level? It acts kinda like a class level. You take a level of vampire, and get the bonuses and penalties for that level. You count as a vampire at level 1, and you aren't required to go any further.

Also, thanks for the list. But do any of those apply permanent bonuses or are they all temporary?
A lot of them are permanent, like the Barghest/Dusk Giant/similiar creatures, Blood Transcription spell.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-13, 12:15 PM
Combined with all the juicy stuff you can do with captives using the BoVD, you can get a character that downright abhors killing...because it would be such a waste :smallamused:.

Mrs. Lovett?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-10-13, 12:17 PM
It acts kinda like a class level. You take a level of vampire, and get the bonuses and penalties for that level. You count as a vampire at level 1, and you aren't required to go any further.

That... is pretty awesome... :smallsmile:

A lot of them are permanent, like the Barghest/Dusk Giant/similiar creatures, Blood Transcription spell.

Cool. I`ll have to take a look then. Thanks :)

ArcturusV
2013-10-13, 01:48 PM
Course, when I'm thinking of this sort of concept? My mind naturally goes to things like the Sadism character trait. Inflict at least character level in damage in a round, get a +1 bonus to Attack, Damage, Saving Throws, and Skill Checks for a round. Combine with the Sadism spell for a +1 Luck on Attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks for every 10 HP you inflict in a round. You get another take on the "Drain your power", the "Your misery fills me with joy and fuels my arts" sort of take.

Bonus points if you roleplay it as it happens to. Creeps out my players/heroes when a villain is in the throws of ecstasy while beating them mercilessly, gaining power with every strike, and becoming that much harder to stop. At least stop with spells that have saves, opposed skill checks, etc. Anything short of stab unto death, which is just as easy, if you can survive trading shots with him/her/it.

Flickerdart
2013-10-13, 05:53 PM
Interesting, though this only last as long as in that one combat round it looks like provides 3 power points per round if it manages to do damage. Seems a bit limited :/
It's 2pp/3 damage, but you can damage as much as you like. If you ensnare, say, a Solar in your cocoon, you could nuke him for 18 points in each stat and get back 36PP (though using all that PP in one round will be tricky). Note that this deals "temporary ability damage" and not ability drain, meaning that the Solar will recover eventually (or you can cure him yourself) and you can drain again later.