PDA

View Full Version : Our Psion needs some tips.

killem2
2013-10-13, 09:42 AM
She is looking to use telekenetic thrust more often, but we keep finding out selves in dungeons that are infested with Kobolds, so of course the path ways are tiny, and are previous method of using a mule and a cart are just failing. :smallannoyed:

She's not going to go crazy with like collossal sized items or weapon or whatever, but it would be nice to have the spare weapons we have gathered be put to good use.

Any tips?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-13, 09:48 AM
Piles of crossbow bolts or arrows, kept in bundles of 15. The power specifies that arrows and bolts do dagger damage, so that's 15d4 damage for 5 pp. Arrows weigh 50% more, crossbow bolts cost twice as much. Put them in a handy haversack and you can just reach in and grab a bundle whenever you need it.

Blackjackg
2013-10-13, 11:11 AM
If transporting ammo is the issue, just invest in a Bag of Holding and turn it inside out at the beginning of every encounter. All the ammo you need at your feet, and you can gather it all up again after combat is over.

Irk
2013-10-13, 04:39 PM
have the spellcaster set up some AoE death effects like acid fog or whatever and tehn she can telekinetic thrust opponents into the area. sine it's kobolds, most of these effects should one turn kill them

killem2
2013-10-13, 10:01 PM
Would it be allowed to have a quiver on say our fighter who can hold the ammo and she could fling them from the quiver?

The psion is a petal so she's pretty small and weak.

Rubik
2013-10-13, 10:03 PM
Would it be allowed to have a quiver on say our fighter who can hold the ammo and she could fling them from the quiver?

The psion is a petal so she's pretty small and weak.Buy some armor spikes for your fighter, then fling him.

killem2
2013-10-14, 01:20 PM
Buy some armor spikes for your fighter, then fling him.

haha.

Would be pretty funny. Sadly with as little room for us to work with, we don't want to clog too many path ways by missing haha.

Rubik
2013-10-14, 01:49 PM
How about some +1 sizing/morphing shurikens and some cohorts. Keep them in a bag as fine-sized sling bullets, and have the cohorts pull out handfuls to blow up into whatever sized javelin the psion can handle.

killem2
2013-10-14, 03:30 PM
How about some +1 sizing/morphing shurikens and some cohorts. Keep them in a bag as fine-sized sling bullets, and have the cohorts pull out handfuls to blow up into whatever sized javelin the psion can handle.

Lets say his hireling does this, will they have to resize each one of the shurikens or can it be all one shot?

Rubik
2013-10-14, 03:49 PM
Lets say his hireling does this, will they have to resize each one of the shurikens or can it be all one shot?Morphing takes one standard action per weapon, while sizing takes a swift action. That's why I specified cohorts rather than just one.

Alternately, I suppose the party could each keep them as Fine-sized javelins, but use a swift action to boost one each to Colossal, which the psion could then fire.

killem2
2013-10-14, 03:59 PM
Do you by chance know, how big a colossal sized shuriken really is?

Also, if I am figuring this up correctly, all she would need is 8 hirelings, whos only duty (i said duty), is to activate two of these weapons each round?

Swift, then standard action, and drop, pick up two more? repeat?:smallconfused:

Rubik
2013-10-14, 04:25 PM
Do you by chance know, how big a colossal sized shuriken really is?

Also, if I am figuring this up correctly, all she would need is 8 hirelings, whos only duty (i said duty), is to activate two of these weapons each round?

Swift, then standard action, and drop, pick up two more? repeat?:smallconfused:You would want them morphed into javelins, both for the much higher damage output as well as the fact that they won't break and can be collected afterward.

A colossal javelin would be about the length of an in-city telephone pole, albeit around twice as thick.

A colossal shuriken? Perhaps two feet in width, and two inches thick. The shuriken would break on use, however, whereas a javelin would not.

Each hireling would be able to activate one per round. If kept as javelins, they would need a move action to draw (unless they had Quick Draw, of course), a swift action to resize, and a free to drop. If armed with a bow, they could also draw an arrow as a free action and fire it as a standard. Your party should hire a dragonfire bard as well, for good measure.

Analytica
2013-10-14, 04:53 PM
Colossal shuriken:

http://amethyst-angel.com/shurtutorial/shurkreference2.jpg

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-14, 05:28 PM
Note that Shuriken are treated as ammunition for what happens to them after they're used, i.e. they're automatically destroyed after one use. Also note that a weapon's weight doubles every time it increases in size, so five colossal shuriken weigh eight pounds. A Telekinetic Thrust launches 15 objects, so 15 colossal shuriken is 24 pounds. And you have to carry as many as you expect to use for a given adventure, since they cannot be retrieved and reused.

elonin
2013-10-14, 06:34 PM
Get returning on the shuiriken. They explicitly wouldn't be discarded after one use. If you are going for large missiles go with siege weapon ammo.

Rubik
2013-10-14, 06:39 PM
Get returning on the shuiriken. They explicitly wouldn't be discarded after one use. If you are going for large missiles go with siege weapon ammo.Shurikens break, regardless of returning or not. That's half the reason why I suggested adding morphing, since javelins do not.

Unless you make them out of aurorum, in which case you can put them back together again. But they still don't deal as much damage as javelins.