PDA

View Full Version : City of the Spider Queen

Raool
2007-01-01, 09:08 PM
Has anyone played this adventure ?
I want to go through it with my friends but alas one of them is a rogue and the last adventure had 100% undead creatures in it so she felt weak without her sneak attack.
Seeing as CotSQ also has undead she'll prolly be very upset if the bulk of the encounters is comprised yet again by sneak attack immune creatures. And I don't want to read it halfway only to find out it's unsuitable for our next session, this thing is huge !
So my question is this : how many undead encounters are there in the adventure compared to all of them. Give me a percentage please.

Kaerou
2007-01-01, 09:18 PM
Playing it at the moment, i -think- we're about halfway through.

At the moment we have come across a lot of undead creatures. I can honestly say that a rogue would probably feel fairly underappreciated so far, but there has been a number of non undeads.. but not enough to make a rogue feel great. However there has also been some traps, one of which almost led to a TPK, so i can see that there are some parts a rogue would come in handy.

if you're DMing, you should really look into running this module, it sIS a lot of fun i can say so far, eve if the amount of undeads make everyone but the cleric feel gimp (due t lack of crits in our fighter heavy game too) but you can easily twist things to make your rogue feel appreciated in some points, the traps are a prime example. You can also swap out a few enemies for non undeads in some points too i think.

I cant give any percentage, but theres also been Drow and Giants, both of which can be SA'd

Raool
2007-01-01, 10:36 PM
Yes I'm DMing. The party has two fighters so the lac of crits would suck also. Not that they would shy away from doing enormous ammounts of damage. I shouldn't have let them use 32 point buy. *sigh*
I started reading through it and it does seem like on heck of an adventure. I think I'm going to go ahead and run them through it.
She's going to hate me. :elan:

Amiria
2007-01-02, 05:10 AM
It is a great adventure. Lots of undead. I also played it with a rogue. A dwarven rogue ... but he multiclassed into ranger (bow style) and took undead as his first favored enemies. by the end of the adventures he was Rogue 11/Ranger 7 (we played without multiclass penalties).

Your rogue should get a undead bane and/or holy bow. My dwarf had a +1 holy bow. Our cleric always cast Greater Magic Weapon and Undead Bane Weapon (the Libris Mortis version with the 1 hour/level) duration on my bow or arrows.

Thomas
2007-01-02, 05:18 AM
UMD and grave strike. It's like, what, a 1st- or 2nd-level spell?

Caewil
2007-01-02, 05:33 AM
If she feels too underappreciated, suggest to her the Divine Trickster PrC. (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/5M5QGsJ5mpbLfAHduZG.html)

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 07:12 AM
Maybee a bit of topic, but I need help to make a "realistic" map of a drow city. Any suggestions?
Most of the maps I have seen in sourcebooks are in my oppinion not "realistic" and I can therefore not just buy a map from Wizards

Thomas
2007-01-02, 08:18 AM
Er, which drow city?

Menzoberranzan is mostly a collection of castles, manors, etc. built inside stalactites and stalagmites (I think Shamath is the same, mostly?); Ched Nasad is built from calcified, super-strong web across the height of a V-shaped cavern, with bulbous houses dangling from the webs; both have a ton of smaller dwellings built among the "terrain feature" buildings.

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 11:22 AM
[quote=Thomas;1767444]Er, which drow city?

Menzoberranzan is mostly a collection of castles, manors, etc. built inside stalactites and stalagmites (I think Shamath is the same, mostly?); Ched Nasad is built from calcified, super-strong web across the height of a V-shaped cavern, with bulbous houses dangling from the webs; both have a ton of sm]aller dwellings built among the "terrain feature" buildings.[/quote

Thank you, Ched Nasad can work. Now I'll just have to find a map of it. :smallsmile:

Thomas
2007-01-02, 12:25 PM
I don't think there really is one. Why would you need one, anyway?

But here's how it'd look...

The "streets" and "walkways" are, like I mentioned, calcified web hard as stone (apparently spun by magical construct guardians when the city was founded; don't ask how they made the buildings after that). It's suspended across the cavern, from wall to wall, in multiple levels, with the more powerful and important houses' fortresses (bulbous "sacks" of calcified webbing) in the higher levels. Drow mostly use levitation* to move from level to level, while other being must use walkways that connect the strands of web (which aren't all at the precisely same height even on the same level).

Basically just imagine each level as a mess of walkways and "streets," with buildings suspended between or under or against them, and maybe shacks or the like built here and there; at places you'll have a lot of strands converge into a wider empty space, which is likely to act as a market, "town square," or courtyard...

Creating an accurate map of Ched Nasad would be both useless and impossible, really.

* Drow levitation has gotten totally f*ed up with 3rd ed. They used to be able to do it 1/day after reaching 3rd or 5th level, but lost that in 3rd ed., so in the books they all get a house brooch that lets them levitate at will, instead. But in Underdark and Races of Faerūn you get a feat that lets drow levitate 1/day as a (Sp) ability, and a feat that lets them break the duration up into 1-minute uses...

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 04:10 PM
I don't think there really is one. Why would you need one, anyway?

But here's how it'd look...

The "streets" and "walkways" are, like I mentioned, calcified web hard as stone (apparently spun by magical construct guardians when the city was founded; don't ask how they made the buildings after that). It's suspended across the cavern, from wall to wall, in multiple levels, with the more powerful and important houses' fortresses (bulbous "sacks" of calcified webbing) in the higher levels. Drow mostly use levitation* to move from level to level, while other being must use walkways that connect the strands of web (which aren't all at the precisely same height even on the same level).

Basically just imagine each level as a mess of walkways and "streets," with buildings suspended between or under or against them, and maybe shacks or the like built here and there; at places you'll have a lot of strands converge into a wider empty space, which is likely to act as a market, "town square," or courtyard...

Creating an accurate map of Ched Nasad would be both useless and impossible, really.

* Drow levitation has gotten totally f*ed up with 3rd ed. They used to be able to do it 1/day after reaching 3rd or 5th level, but lost that in 3rd ed., so in the books they all get a house brooch that lets them levitate at will, instead. But in Underdark and Races of Faerūn you get a feat that lets drow levitate 1/day as a (Sp) ability, and a feat that lets them break the duration up into 1-minute uses...

My problem is that my drow city would be more or less like Ched Nasad and I need an accurate map of it because I'm planning to run a highlevel citycampaign in it. To be more precise, the players are about to enter a drowcity and have a way of consealing themselves there. They will be taking quests there and spend a good amount of time there, and I need a way to make a map of about 6 levels where I won't get lost myself.

Thomas
2007-01-02, 04:31 PM
My problem is that my drow city would be more or less like Ched Nasad and I need an accurate map of it because I'm planning to run a highlevel citycampaign in it. To be more precise, the players are about to enter a drowcity and have a way of consealing themselves there. They will be taking quests there and spend a good amount of time there, and I need a way to make a map of about 6 levels where I won't get lost myself.

So what sort of details would you need? All you need to do is invent some places. "This inn is on the tenth level from the ground up; this marketplace is on the fourth..."

Accurate maps of cities aren't really useful or necessary. All you need to do is invent places you'd likely use, have some general idea of what could be found where, and use that.

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 05:18 PM
So what sort of details would you need? All you need to do is invent some places. "This inn is on the tenth level from the ground up; this marketplace is on the fourth..."

Accurate maps of cities aren't really useful or necessary. All you need to do is invent places you'd likely use, have some general idea of what could be found where, and use that.

This is all depending on playing style. I really need a detailed map of the city, where every house is shown (jepp, I so ****ed). My problem is that I have to draw 6 levels of a city in stead of 1, as I'm used to, and mae it look ailien without making it so messy that I can't find anything. What I was hoping for east than anyone either had made themselves, or knew where I could download or buy such a map.

RandomNPC
2007-01-02, 05:59 PM
heres how you make a map of this city...
from a side view its a giant V style cavern. at the top, hanging from the cieling, are the highest noble houses, place them where you like.

on each of 10-15 more webs the drow houses have less and less rank in the citys workings. slaves live at the bottom, and non-drow at the top of the city better have a good reason, because thats where drow "royalty" lives.

each level has houses, store rooms, and whatnot, as needed. thats the thing, if you dont need grobels grub shop on the 13th level, dont ask me for a map, because thats where it will be. just draw a non-symetric spider web and call it level X of the city. low enough in the city slaves are even allowed to open stores and whatnot, but most likely drow end up with all the proffit.

between each level there are occasional ramps going up and down, just so slaves can get places, if every slave that didnt deliver something was punished there would be no more slaves, Drow aren't that ruthless.

anyway, from what i remember there are at least 10 levels, lots of ramps, and down at the bottom other races can come in and trade. there was no detailed map i've ever seen, and each level is described just as a giant calcified web.

Thomas
2007-01-02, 07:31 PM
This is all depending on playing style. I really need a detailed map of the city, where every house is shown (jepp, I so ****ed). My problem is that I have to draw 6 levels of a city in stead of 1, as I'm used to, and mae it look ailien without making it so messy that I can't find anything. What I was hoping for east than anyone either had made themselves, or knew where I could download or buy such a map.

Woah. There's no such maps anywhere, that I've seen. I mean, I can't even get that kind of maps when I set a game in modern-day Los Angeles. That's just asking for the impossible.

Raool
2007-01-26, 09:12 PM
Anyone got any advice for me ? The party finished 2 thirds of the lower crypts. They've just wiped out the remaining Lolth worshipping survivors from Szith Morcane and will soon encounter the last monsters in Lower Dordrien Crypts. Problem is the party of 5-6 level 10 adventurers (barb, high AC fighter, rogue, sorc, cleric(rarely comes) and a ranger) keeps cutting through encounters like butter.
Kaerou how did your group find that part of the adventure ?

Kaerou
2007-01-27, 04:32 PM
Due to IRL reasons, we havent had chance to play since my last post :(

Tibor
2007-01-27, 04:54 PM
Great campaign, but don't allow any one to play a radiant servant of Palor. They blow all the undead out of the water and make the DM cry. Give the rogue a wand of gravestrike and he'll be fine.

Amiria
2007-01-27, 05:38 PM
Pelor doesn't exist in the Forgotten Realms. Our group included a Morninglord of Lathander. That PrC isn't as uber as the Radiant Servant but still very bad news for undead.

Tibor
2007-01-27, 06:12 PM
Indeed, but the player really wanted to be a servant of palor so we adapted it to Lathadar. My mistake...I didn't realize how potent it would be.

Thomas
2007-01-28, 08:00 AM
Raool: You've got 5-6 PCs. (I hope they have equipment as per WBL, and no more.) The adventure is written for 4. That means you need to increase the ELs. Basically, if there's 4 vampires, you need to use 6 for this party, and so on.

Raool
2007-01-28, 08:09 AM
Yes I think they're into WBL norms. I thought about increasing the monster numbers, only thing that's stopping me is the lack of miniatures. I only have so many of them. :P

The Dirge
2007-01-28, 08:18 AM
Look up underdark or drow city on a Baldurs gate: Shadows of amn guide. If you can find a map of the city it will need modification, because as you walk around there are a lot of backround buildings that you cant enter, but it could give you a general idea.

archmagedrow
2007-01-28, 10:27 AM
You can also try dropping a couple of anti magic spells on the PC's before hitting them with fighters.Thatll piss off anyone with magic equipment and murder the sorc and cleric. Given your class, you could also throw in more magic. High AC doesnt do crap against lightnening bolt and fire ball. Also remember poisons which are a great way to help if the cleric doenst have nuetralize poison. VIle damage is another thing which could be a definate help making it harder.

The Glyphstone
2007-01-28, 10:39 AM
For the rogue, there's always the alternate class feature out of PHBII, that gives an enemy who's flatfooted or flanked by you a penalty to AC.

Zherog
2007-01-28, 11:43 AM
As someone who played City of the Spider Queen, here's some thoughts:

Remember that it's written for 3.0. Somewhere over on the WotC boards, somebody did a conversion to 3.5. It's on the FR forum somewhere (and I don't recall the level of detail he/she went into).

There's a lot of undead, but there's also a lot of other stuff. Drow and giants were mentioned. There's more things that are sneak attackable, too.

Some creatures you can encounter:
There's a beholder, and a mind flayer. There's demons, and yrthaks. And there's other animals as well. In fact, against the beholder, a rogue in an antimagic area who can sneak attack is going to do very well compared to the fighters. So there's definitely a bunch of encounters where her sneak attack will matter.

There's also several traps, which is another way to let the rogue feel the love a bit.

Overall, I think a rogue will have plenty to do without feeling useless all the time. There's definitely encounters where she can't sneak attack. That's OK - she can aid another to help the fighter, or sit back and shoot arrows to be annoying to the undead, or whatever.

Xan
2007-06-27, 08:21 PM
My group is going to be going through this adventure, and I'm debating about if I want to get some miniatures for it. The thing is, I really only want the figures I'll need, and don't want to pay for the random packs for fear of having more than enough of some figures and not enough or any of another. Is there a way to find out how many of each figure I'll need? And what would be the easiest way to buy just the specific figures I'd need?

Corolinth
2007-06-27, 09:24 PM
I realize someone's about to jump all over me for saying this, but the rogue's skill selection alone should be enough to balance her for most adventures. Adventuring companies traditionally hire rogues for lockpicking and trap removal rather than their combat prowess.

Xan
2007-06-30, 11:35 PM
I'm about to start this adventure and am planning on a Duskblade with the prc of Champion of Corellon Larethian. Now, one of the requirements for the Champion is to have the mounted combat feat. I hate to have to take it and not use it at all, so the idea has occured to me to get the Wild Cohort feat to get myself a good mount and play around with mounted stuff. Is this at all useful in this adventure or is it really impracticle and a waste of feats?

Mr the Geoff
2007-07-01, 04:37 AM
Show your rogue the Disruptive Attack alternative class feature in the PHB2 (and maybe houserule it in if said rogue is already past level 4).

Our party rogue has been of great use with it in our fighter heavy campaign. "Hello sneak attack immune monster, have -5 to your AC, power attack away boys"

Between the -5 to ac from the rogue's attack and the fact he usually grants flanking to do this for another +2 to hit, the fighter, barbarian and paladin get to full power attack and hit most stuff. (given that the DM is looking to finish the campaign with an AC37 CR20 pit fiend BBEG when the party is still about level 12 I can see us needing that particular class feature just to hit the damn thing)

Of course the rogue still isn't rolling a ton of d6s but a mature player will enjoy the fact they are making a good contribution to the fight

Corolinth
2007-07-01, 04:46 AM
The campaign takes place in the Underdark. I don't see many uses for horses down there.

Xan
2007-07-01, 08:30 AM
The campaign takes place in the Underdark. I don't see many uses for horses down there.

Well, I was thinking Dire Wolf, but yeah, that's what I was leery of as well.

Ikkitosen
2007-07-02, 02:40 AM
I'm about to start this adventure and am planning on a Duskblade with the prc of Champion of Corellon Larethian. Now, one of the requirements for the Champion is to have the mounted combat feat. I hate to have to take it and not use it at all, so the idea has occured to me to get the Wild Cohort feat to get myself a good mount and play around with mounted stuff. Is this at all useful in this adventure or is it really impracticle and a waste of feats?

A riding lizard would be fitting, a la the Baenre lizard riders. You can run up the walls!

Hadrian_Emrys
2007-07-02, 06:39 AM
The thing to keep in mind when considering a rogue for this game is the traps (among other puzzling situations) for they are LETHAL. I ran the game for three gestalt players and two of them almost bit it before getting halfway through the first chapter. a minesweeper is invaluable and very much beloved by the party.

Corolinth
2007-07-02, 02:16 PM
Well, I was thinking Dire Wolf, but yeah, that's what I was leery of as well.The Underdark does have areas wide enough for mounts (drow often ride lizards, while the duergar often ride bats and spiders). The problem you encounter with most mounts available to surface dwellers is that your mount can't see in the dark.

Keld Denar
2007-07-03, 07:32 AM
I'm currently playing in the new Demonweb Pits mod (set in the underdark, mostly), and early on in the adventure, we killed a couple drow on lizard mounts. Our party druid then wild empathied one of the mounts, nailed the roll, and is currently zipping about the underdark from an inverted point of view.

All you gotta do it be like him, find a drow on a lizard, kill him, and feed the lizard. Bingo, underdark mount.

Plus, what's cooler than charging straight down a wall? From the ceiling!