PDA

View Full Version : Trying to increase the number of rings I can wear

Chadamantium
2013-10-13, 02:19 PM
Our DM has been giving my group a lot of rings lately and I have been juggling them around trying to figure out what rings are best for what situation. But if there is a way to increase the number of rings I can wear, even better. So, does anyone know what I can do to increase that number?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-13, 02:24 PM
You may be able to combine several of those into one item. Magic Item Compendium page 234 details what effects can be added to an existing item at no additional cost. For example, if you have a Ring of Protection +1 and a Ring of Sustenance, anyone with Forge Ring could spend a day's work to smash them together into a Ring of Sustenance with a +1 Deflection bonus added, at no additional cost. Note if this is an NPC you may have to pay him for his work, it's normally one day per 1,000 gp of the item's value, he pays 500 gp and 40 xp per 1,000 gp of the item's value, xp goes for 5 gp per 1 xp but he's not spending any so that should be a discount, so a fee of 300 gp should be fair.

The only way to wear additional rings would be a Hand of Glory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handofGlory) or being level 21+ and taking an epic feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#additionalMagicItemSpace).

ryu
2013-10-13, 02:27 PM
Our DM has been giving my group a lot of rings lately and I have been juggling them around trying to figure out what rings are best for what situation. But if there is a way to increase the number of rings I can wear, even better. So, does anyone know what I can do to increase that number?

It specifically states that you can only wear one ring per hand and get the benefit. The most obvious answer to deal with this is to Polymorph any object yourself into a form with hands equal to the number of rings you personal have permanently. If it isn't allowed to work that way nothing I can imagine will save selling the rings and using the combined proceeds to buy better rings. The former idea is far more hilarious though.

Devronq
2013-10-13, 02:32 PM
I'm fairly confident there is a feat that grants another ring slot (not the epic one) I believe it is in one of campaign books maybe ebberon and requires forge ring

Jack_Simth
2013-10-13, 02:36 PM
There is:
The Hand of Glory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handofGlory) - give you one ring slot (but uses up the amulet slot).

As noted, the magic item slot restriction is specifically for humanoid-shaped bodies, and specifies one per hand... if you get yourself turned into, say, a Marilith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#marilith), you'll have six hands (but no feet).

Qc Storm
2013-10-13, 02:38 PM
There is the Extra Rings feat from Eberron, which grants you TWO ring slots.

However you need Craft Ring and CL 12.

Dubbed Ring King in my gaming group.

ryu
2013-10-13, 02:42 PM
There is:
The Hand of Glory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#handofGlory) - give you one ring slot (but uses up the amulet slot).

As noted, the magic item slot restriction is specifically for humanoid-shaped bodies, and specifies one per hand... if you get yourself turned into, say, a Marilith (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#marilith), you'll have six hands (but no feet).

Why specifically go for that when you can just Polymorph any object yourself into a humanoid abomination against nature with like twelve arms?

ArcturusV
2013-10-13, 02:46 PM
Or take something like those chakra abilities that give you an extra set of arms, or use Grafts, etc. Both seem like decent ideas and probably something that you might want to consider anyway (If you're not a spellcaster that can't just change into some beast with multiple arms and other benefits).

Snowbluff
2013-10-13, 02:48 PM
There is:

Seconding the hand of glory. At high levels, it's like 12kgp to add it to your amulet (or add the con bonus for no penalty), IIRC. Considering how expensive tacking extra rings onto your ring at times, it can save some money.

Jack_Simth
2013-10-13, 02:49 PM
Why specifically go for that when you can just Polymorph any object yourself into a humanoid abomination against nature with like twelve arms?
Because most DM's frown on polymorph forms of critters not written up elsewhere.

Rubik
2013-10-13, 02:55 PM
The ringblade in the Arms & Equipment Guide allows you to gain the benefit of a ring when it's slid over the pommel. Feel free to use it on another weapon, such as a bootblade, sleeve blade, or braid blade.

Humble Master
2013-10-13, 03:02 PM
Hand of Glory is the obvious option. Grafting/polymorphing more hands onto yourself is another, but that is kind of cheesy. As for good rings, Wizardry is a dream come true for Arcane casters. For it's price, Sustenance can be quite good as you only need to sleep 2 hours a day and don't need to eat or drink (of course you could just be a Warforged). Spellstoring can be a nice way for Wizards to let the Fighter do some of the buffing themselves. Feather Falling is nice. Those are my favorite at least from the SRD.

Snowbluff
2013-10-13, 03:03 PM
The ringblade in the Arms & Equipment Guide allows you to gain the benefit of a ring when it's slid over the pommel. Feel free to use it on another weapon, such as a bootblade, sleeve blade, or braid blade. Can I get the page number?

Considering how many weapons my characters wear at all times (Spellblade Spike Gauntlets with wand chambers, etc), this sounds like a good option.

Rubik
2013-10-13, 03:19 PM
Can I get the page number?

Considering how many weapons my characters wear at all times (Spellblade Spike Gauntlets with wand chambers, etc), this sounds like a good option.Sorry, it was the ringsword, but it's pg 115 in the A&EG. It costs 4,000 gp to add to another weapon.

Vertharrad
2013-10-13, 08:45 PM
Hand of Glory(DMG 1) - 8000gp: +1 ring necklace slot
2 Casting Gloves(MIC) - 20000gp/ea.: +1 ring/ea. hands slot
Ringsword(A&EG) +3 longsword - 22315gp/ea.: +1 ring/ea. weapon
Extra rings(ECS): +2 rings
RingSage(AEG's Path of Magic) - 10lvl Arcane PrC: +2 rings over 5 levels and other ring goodies
Additional Magic Item Space(ELH) - epic levels: +1 ring

Pre-epic thats 1 extra core only/9(4 from 3.0) otherwise, 2/10 epic levels...I would suggest earrings or body piercings after 10...

I made a build that incorporates all but the ringswords(wanted to see if I could get a character to be able to wear 10 rings), haven't tried it out yet. AEG is on some DM's crap list and sometimes I don't blame then.

The Viscount
2013-10-13, 09:51 PM

Savage Species has feats to give you extra slots if you have multiple body parts, and I don't think this has been updated, so without taking the feats you are limited to the same as anyone else.

Hamste
2013-10-13, 09:52 PM

This looks like a case for the Hecatoncheires.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Hecatoncheires

Of course one is still limited on hd by the polymorph spell but if they can get around that they will have enough hands for as many rings as they want.

Rubik
2013-10-13, 09:52 PM
Savage Species has feats to give you extra slots if you have multiple body parts, and I don't think this has been updated, so without taking the feats you are limited to the same as anyone else.You can either Polymorph Any Object, or you can take the mighty arms warforged graft from Faiths of Eberron for an extra pair, for only 1,000 gp. Take the feat, and there you go. You can also use the feat for extra bracers, as well.

[edit] Hecatoncheires, eh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NGxnEDLEizA#t=202)

shaikujin
2013-10-14, 12:05 AM
The ringblade in the Arms & Equipment Guide allows you to gain the benefit of a ring when it's slid over the pommel. Feel free to use it on another weapon, such as a bootblade, sleeve blade, or braid blade.

Super cheesy idea: Ringswords with morphing and sizing.
Morph them into poison rings.

Poison rings are classified as weapons and there's no limit to how many you can equip.

Rubik
2013-10-14, 12:09 AM
Super cheesy idea: Ringswords with morphing and sizing.
Morph them into poison rings.

Poison rings are classified as weapons and there's no limit to how many you can equip.Yo dawg, I heard you like rings...

Chadamantium
2013-10-14, 12:42 AM
Thanks guys these are all really helpful answers. The hand of glory was the one I remembered but couldn't pin the name. I do think polymorph is kinda cheesy and unfortunately the dm only uses stuff we have the actual book to. So that's eberron ELH and AEG out the window. I'll just have to get ahold of those.