PDA

View Full Version : [PF] how do you use a custom built weapon?

Blyte
2013-10-13, 04:42 PM
so I want to have a fighter use a ripsaw glaive with the shaft hacked off, and a chainsaw handle and rail affixed to it.

do I take exotic weapon proficiency, or just consider it an improvised weapon, and take catch off guard?

statistically, basically, I want to create a new weapon, just like the ripsaw glaive, with no reach.

I also plan to affix the rear handle to the character's arm stump, since he is missing a hand, and have the other hand, wield it with the top rail like a chainsaw.

thanks for reading

Edit: obviously this is silly, but actual help would be appreciated.

Gavinfoxx
2013-10-13, 04:56 PM

Right.

This system doesnt support this concept.

Sorry.

Sell the whole thing, get regeneration cast to get your hand back (or retire the character), and use a sane weapon that is actually statted out.

Are you, uh, 13 by any chance?

Keneth
2013-10-13, 05:05 PM
... what have I just read?

I doesn't sound like a very functional weapon, but there would be no point in wielding it as an improvised weapon as that doesn't give you the stats.

I kinda agree with Gavinfoxx—Get a prosthetic hand or regrow yours with regeneration, then use the weapon normally.

Unless your campaign is a B-movie, and your character is named Bruce Ash.

The Trickster
2013-10-13, 05:24 PM
I suppose if you are making a new weapon all together, you can consider it an exotic weapon...although it does seem a little silly.

Blyte
2013-10-13, 07:33 PM
just trying to create an army of darkness, knock off.. not going to make a human named ash.. I was thinking a dwarf named Vern Helsing.

I figured the ripsaw glaive sets a nice precedent for a low tech chainsaw.

and luckily, they have low tech shotgun alternatives written up already.

just looking for my chainsaw hand... any help would be appreciated.

Daftendirekt
2013-10-13, 07:34 PM
just trying to create an army of darkness, knock off.. not going to make a human named ash.. I was thinking a dwarf named Vern Helsing.

Because this is much more original.

SassyQuatch
2013-10-13, 07:57 PM
Make it an exotic weapon. Remove reach. Move action still activates but duration is extended (duration in minutes, so uless you are on a battlefield it is effectively endless as long as you have fuel). Because it is completely unwieldy apply -2 penalty to attack.

There. Easy.

Crasical
2013-10-13, 11:21 PM
Make it an exotic weapon. Remove reach. Move action still activates but duration is extended (duration in minutes, so uless you are on a battlefield it is effectively endless as long as you have fuel). Because it is completely unwieldy apply -2 penalty to attack.

There. Easy.

Isn't the Ripsaw already an exotic?

Squirrel_Dude
2013-10-13, 11:43 PM
Sassyquatch has the right idea here. I would maybe remove the -2 penalty, or make it so that the penalty can be removed if you could lose the penalty for using improvised weapons.

and luckily, they have low tech shotgun alternatives written up alreadyThey also have standard tech shotguns written up, and are you thinking about the blunderbuss or the culverin? Not that any of those are one-handed weapons....

SassyQuatch
2013-10-14, 01:47 AM
Isn't the Ripsaw already an exotic?
Original question indicated that the OP was also considering improvised weapon, which is no good.

Sassyquatch has the right idea here. I would maybe remove the -2 penalty, or make it so that the penalty can be removed if you could lose the penalty for using improvised weapons.
But an improvised and exotic weapon could work. The balancing point was extended time the weapon could be active. Figured that an effectively always on bonus would necessitate a deficiency somewhere else. Having the ability to remove the drawback makes perfect sense.

Blyte
2013-10-14, 08:20 AM
I suppose I could break off the pole on the glaive and use the 'breaker' barbarian archetype, to ignore the broken condition. just hoping I was missing something in the rules about modifying an existing weapon. I suppose the character will need to be house ruled.

I'm not interested in adding fuel to the weapon, I'm fine with it spinning for str adj rounds. (altho I suppose the piston maul sets a nice precedent for fueled exotic weapons)

I know that the one hand draw back states you cannot use 2-handed weapons, but i'm hoping the DM will handwave that (taking the flaw for flavor purposes only) as the character is going to have knowledge engineering/profession tinker, to make his weapons handi-capable.