PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Casting Times, How to?

unseenmage
2013-10-13, 09:20 PM
I am of a mind to use Awaken Construct and/or Incarnate Construct offensively but I'd need their casting times to be in rounds rather than minutes for that, at least. Is there a way?

TaiLiu
2013-10-13, 09:23 PM
As stated before, the Anima Mage's Vestige Casting (Su) class feature can reduce any spell's casting time to an immediate action, though it can only be used once a day.

ryu
2013-10-13, 09:25 PM
Are you crazy enough to craft an absurd number of contingent versions of those spells? You could set the triggers to things you can initiate as immediate actions.

TaiLiu
2013-10-13, 09:30 PM
Alternately, Uncanny Forethought could reduce the casting time of a specifically chosen set of spells to a full-round action. You do need to be a Wizard and burn another feat to take this, though.

Psyren
2013-10-13, 09:38 PM
As a note, long-casting-time spells tend to be slow for a reason, i.e. they aren't intended to be used in combat. You may want to talk with your DM about these and why you want to use them mid-fight before just going ahead with your strategy. They may even let you research a faster and similar version of these spells (perhaps with some limitations or a higher spell level.)

Rubik
2013-10-13, 09:41 PM
I've got a suggestion, but as it sounds like you're already playing a character, try looking into the rod of construct control, from the Arms & Equipment Guide. It Dominates a construct as though you were its creator, no save. You do have to make opposed checks with the creator if he's nearby, but it's still really nice. Just Dominate it, stuff it in your portable hole, and cast the spells you want later.

My suggestion is thus: a spell-to-power erudite could cast those spells easily enough, using the Linked Power metamagic feat to finish the manifestation in one round, and the action you spend is entirely contingent on what power you Link them to.

unseenmage
2013-10-14, 11:15 AM
Alternately, Uncanny Forethought could reduce the casting time of a specifically chosen set of spells to a full-round action. You do need to be a Wizard and burn another feat to take this, though.

Are you crazy enough to craft an absurd number of contingent versions of those spells? You could set the triggers to things you can initiate as immediate actions.

These are definitely the kinds of things I'm after.

As a note, long-casting-time spells tend to be slow for a reason, i.e. they aren't intended to be used in combat. You may want to talk with your DM about these and why you want to use them mid-fight before just going ahead with your strategy. They may even let you research a faster and similar version of these spells (perhaps with some limitations or a higher spell level.)

Understood. And it's entirely likely that these ideas will be handed to my DM on a silver platter so he can combat my Artificer character.

Edit: What do you think a spell that simply severed a master's control over a target Construct would look like?

I've got a suggestion, but as it sounds like you're already playing a character, try looking into the rod of construct control, from the Arms & Equipment Guide. It Dominates a construct as though you were its creator, no save. You do have to make opposed checks with the creator if he's nearby, but it's still really nice. Just Dominate it, stuff it in your portable hole, and cast the spells you want later.

My suggestion is thus: a spell-to-power erudite could cast those spells easily enough, using the Linked Power metamagic feat to finish the manifestation in one round, and the action you spend is entirely contingent on what power you Link them to.

Already stocked up on Rods of Construct Control. The goal of using these two spells specifically is that they free a given construct from it's creator's control. What's better, they automatically set the Constructs attitude to Friendly. :smallsmile: