PDA

View Full Version : Steal Spell and Prerequisites

Xuldarinar
2013-10-13, 09:55 PM
For the purposes of meeting prerequisites, could a spellthief's stealspell class feature be used for prerequisites like; "Can cast x level spells".

If so, how far does this extend? For instance: Could a Spellthief 4 qualify for mystic theurge, in terms of casting, as they technically can cast 2nd level arcane and 2nd level divine spells?

This is even relevant for single-classed spellthieves, when we consider master spellthief. Single-classed, would that require spellthief 4 (gain the feat at 6th), or spellthief 8 (gaining the feat at 9th)?

Edit: Furthermore, to elaborate, could a level 21 Spellthief qualify for the Epic Spellcasting feat?

Devronq
2013-10-14, 05:55 AM
For the purposes of meeting prerequisites, could a spellthief's stealspell class feature be used for prerequisites like; "Can cast x level spells".

If so, how far does this extend? For instance: Could a Spellthief 4 qualify for mystic theurge, in terms of casting, as they technically can cast 2nd level arcane and 2nd level divine spells?

This is even relevant for single-classed spellthieves, when we consider master spellthief. Single-classed, would that require spellthief 4 (gain the feat at 6th), or spellthief 8 (gaining the feat at 9th)?

Edit: Furthermore, to elaborate, could a level 21 Spellthief qualify for the Epic Spellcasting feat?
Just in reference to the qualifying for mystic theurge part I mean all early entery to anything is just cheese is say no not at all. But you can cast level 2 arcane and divine spells so if your dim allows it ask I guess.

Fax Celestis
2013-10-14, 08:56 AM
Long answer:

Customer (James Raine) 06/26/2007 09:33 AM
Can a Spellthief use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast spells of X level? Can he use his Steal Spell ability to qualify for prestige classes that require the ability to cast a specific spell? Can he use his Steal Spell-Like Ability ability to qualify for prestige classes that require a specific spell-like ability (such as any prestige class that requires Eldritch Blast)?

Page Number: 16
Book Name: Complete Adventurer

Response (Support Agent) 06/26/2007 03:08 PM
James,

Thank you for writing. The Steal Spell ability does not qualify the Spellthief for prestige classes that require spellcasting ability, regardless of the spell stolen.

Please let me know if you need anymore help!

Short answer: No.

Which is a good thing, too, otherwise it would basically let spellthieves go into just about any prestige class they ever wanted.

Chronos
2013-10-14, 09:14 AM
The stolen spell still has caster level etc. as if it were cast by the original caster. I'd say that it counts as their casting of it, not the spellthief's.

JaronK
2013-10-14, 01:15 PM
Honestly, I think it should work (CustServ is not a valid source, and asking them three or four times yields 3 or 4 answers). The character does indeed have the ability to cast X level spells, so what's the problem there?

Note that this still doesn't let the ST early qualify for most classes, as they gain the ability to steal spells of X level at the same speed as a Wizard gets the ability to cast them.

JaronK

Fax Celestis
2013-10-14, 01:16 PM
Honestly, I think it should work (CustServ is not a valid source, and asking them three or four times yields 3 or 4 answers). The character does indeed have the ability to cast X level spells, so what's the problem there?

They don't, however. They have the ability to steal and direct someone else's spell, using the statistics of the person it was stolen from. They're not really casting it.

JaronK
2013-10-14, 01:22 PM
They don't, however. They have the ability to steal and direct someone else's spell, using the statistics of the person it was stolen from. They're not really casting it.

The ability says they cast it. The fact that they cast it based off someone else's stats and using someone else's spell slot does not invalidate the fact that they are the one casting it.

JaronK

Equinox
2013-10-14, 03:09 PM
After stealing a spell, a spellthief can cast the spell himself on a subsequent turn.I'm sorry, but it doesn't get any clearer than that. The spellthief can cast spells. The class descriptions tells us that in those specific words.

Now, one can argue that there's a qualifier, ie. he can only cast a spell if he stole it successfully - but that's the same thing as to argue that, oh, the Wizard has a qualifier to his ability to cast spells - you see, he can only cast a spell if he prepared it from his spellbook ...

Xuldarinar
2013-10-14, 06:36 PM
Well, lets say you have a character that is: Archivist 3/Wizard 3

He gains a level, but has lost his prayerbook and his spellbook, can he become Mystic Theurge?

Curmudgeon
2013-10-14, 07:23 PM
Well, lets say you have a character that is: Archivist 3/Wizard 3

He gains a level, but has lost his prayerbook and his spellbook, can he become Mystic Theurge?
The answer is dependent on whether the character can cast 2nd-level divine spells and 2nd-level arcane spells, not what they might be able to cast in the future. For qualifications, only what spells the character has already prepared matter; the books do not. If the Archivist 3/Wizard 3 isn't capable of casting the required spells, they can't enter into Mystic Theurge.