PDA

View Full Version : 2e ring of invisibility

Narren
2013-10-13, 10:14 PM
Sooo....the AD&D 2e ring of invisibility. Am I reading it right that you can go invisible at will as often as you like? I understand I can change the rules if I feel like it, but I'm curious if that was the intent.

WinWin
2013-10-14, 06:11 AM
It takes an action to activate the ring, but otherwise, yes, you can use it as often as you like.

ken-do-nim
2013-10-14, 06:25 AM
I know in the 1E DMG, they suggested the DM give that ring a limited amount of charges.

hamlet
2013-10-14, 07:34 AM
With a ring like that, I would certainly give it charges that need to be used. It's too powerful otherwise.

Or a hitch. Like, when you use it, it doesn't quite make you invisible so much as push you into a realm that's closer to the one that wraiths, specters, ghosts, etc., occupy. And maybe attracts their attention, favorable or otherwise. Perhaps, after using it, a specter notices the character and approaches him/her, begging for help . . .

Narren
2013-10-14, 09:17 AM
I probably won't go with limited charges. My players hate using anything with a limited charge, so potions, scrolls, and wands tend to gather dust. May it can only be activated once every 24 hours from when it was last activated. Though I do like the wraith idea.

The reason I was asking is because I noticed that it was a listed treasure in "The Ghost of Harrow Hill" adventure from the AD&D introduction boxed set. That adventure is for 1st - mayyybe 2nd - level adventurers. Seems kind of powerful for such a low level.

Jay R
2013-10-14, 10:30 AM
We've always played that it had unlimited uses, like any other ring, which is why we all wanted one.

But you still re-appear whenever you attack, cast a spell, pick something up, open a door, etc., and you stay visible until your initiative next round. It's still risky.

Narren
2013-10-14, 12:41 PM
We've always played that it had unlimited uses, like any other ring, which is why we all wanted one.

But you still re-appear whenever you attack, cast a spell, pick something up, open a door, etc., and you stay visible until your initiative next round. It's still risky.

Yeah, it was some limitations, but its still VERY powerful for a level 1 character.

CIDE
2013-10-14, 12:54 PM
The rings as a drawback would obviously draw the attention of an ancient eldritch horror bent on world domination by using these rings of invisibility. Totally not a rip off idea of an existing story or novel.

Pilo
2013-10-14, 02:20 PM
Well, it is not that powerful, first invisibility does not means you cannot be heared, second, lots of people (elves, gnomes, ...) seems to disappears as soon as they are in natural place (forest, plains), third, traps don't care about invisibility.

Only a thief or a ranger knows how to move silently. Otherwise, it is a flat +4 to hit for one attack, -4 to ac until you do something. Plus, if you loose conscience/die while invisible, you do not reappear, so healing might be hard.

Monster with 22 intellect can ignore this ring, as they see through level 2 illusion spells.
Monster with powder can detect you, a few level 2 spells can also reveal an invisible creature.
There is only 2 ring slots.

For having played a lot the past 2 years, I don't feel like it was overpowered. It allowed the rogue to try to backstab once every two round of fighting, let one of us to scout some time and put the one with the ring at risk more than others.

Narren
2013-10-14, 11:10 PM
Well, it is not that powerful, first invisibility does not means you cannot be heared, second, lots of people (elves, gnomes, ...) seems to disappears as soon as they are in natural place (forest, plains), third, traps don't care about invisibility.

Only a thief or a ranger knows how to move silently. Otherwise, it is a flat +4 to hit for one attack, -4 to ac until you do something. Plus, if you loose conscience/die while invisible, you do not reappear, so healing might be hard.

Monster with 22 intellect can ignore this ring, as they see through level 2 illusion spells.
Monster with powder can detect you, a few level 2 spells can also reveal an invisible creature.
There is only 2 ring slots.

For having played a lot the past 2 years, I don't feel like it was overpowered. It allowed the rogue to try to backstab once every two round of fighting, let one of us to scout some time and put the one with the ring at risk more than others.

I have to disagree, at least if you keep the ring as written in the DMG. For one, 10% of them make you inaudible as well (which would be awesome!). And what do you mean about elves and gnomes disappearing in the woods? Is that fluff or a mechanical thing I don't know about? And yeah...it doesn't counter traps, but neither does a Holy Avenger. That's not it's purpose.

And a thief or ranger using it would be ideal, but any character could benefit from starting every fight with a +4 to attack and -4 to AC (by the way, how does 2e handle non-thieves that want to try and move silently?). That's a good point about dying or being knocked out while invisible, I had never thought about that. It probably wouldn't happen all that often, but it'd be an interesting twist.

But while there are some monsters and spells that can counter it, that doesn't mean that it isn't pretty potent (especially for a level 1 character that likely won't face any foes with a counter to it). And not just in combat, there are endless ways that it can be utilized outside the dungeon. The invisibility rules state that you only become visible it's dispelled, you cancel it, or you attack. You can do all sorts of useful stuff under those guidelines.

It's not an inherently overpowered item (well....maybe) but it's definitely a powerful ring for level 1.

Lord Torath
2013-10-15, 08:32 AM
I have to disagree, at least if you keep the ring as written in the DMG. For one, 10% of them make you inaudible as well (which would be awesome!). And what do you mean about elves and gnomes disappearing in the woods? Is that fluff or a mechanical thing I don't know about? Elves and halflings in non-metal armor impose a -4 penalty to their opponent's surprise rolls. The description of those races in chapter 2 of the PHB does mention they can hide very well in woodland areas.

It's not an inherently overpowered item (well....maybe) but it's definitely a powerful ring for level 1.This is still quite true.

Pilo
2013-10-15, 11:13 AM
I agree that is powerful for a level 1 character (even if a rogue is usually level 3 before a wizard become level 2).

ken-do-nim
2013-10-15, 11:24 AM
I agree that is powerful for a level 1 character (even if a rogue is usually level 3 before a wizard become level 2).

To play a bit of devil's advocate, it can be a lot of fun to give out some powerful magic items early on. I remember when I first got into AD&D, my character got a rod of lordly might at the end of the first dungeon. I had so much fun paralyzing opponents, battering down doors, setting things on fire, etc. with it.

Telok
2013-10-15, 03:29 PM
Also note that if the players flaunt the power of the ring or let witnesses escape alive then the local rumor mill will get to work. If the source of the player's invisibility is obviously the ring then every thief in town will want it, and a fair number of other people too. If he fakes like he's casting spells to turn invisible then the local mage guild might get interested, either from getting a new mage to join them ("Dis izza union shop, if you ain't union then you ain't shoopin.") or to find out how he's casting more invisibility spells per day than an archmage ("That's the third time this month I've been beaten up by an invisible stalker and had my book stolen! What do they want with all these trashy romance novels anyways?").

Narren
2013-10-15, 09:31 PM
Also note that if the players flaunt the power of the ring or let witnesses escape alive then the local rumor mill will get to work. If the source of the player's invisibility is obviously the ring then every thief in town will want it, and a fair number of other people too. If he fakes like he's casting spells to turn invisible then the local mage guild might get interested, either from getting a new mage to join them ("Dis izza union shop, if you ain't union then you ain't shoopin.") or to find out how he's casting more invisibility spells per day than an archmage ("That's the third time this month I've been beaten up by an invisible stalker and had my book stolen! What do they want with all these trashy romance novels anyways?").

I like this idea. It'll reinforce my players tendency to execute prisoners, but what doesn't?