PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Cleric of Pelor. Viable?

Orga_Strange
2013-10-14, 03:05 AM
Hello ladies and gents! So, I have a question for all of you (or rather, those interested) and you might already know what it is. That is, can a Barbarian multi-class as a Cleric, and if so, is it even useful? I currently have a level 4 CG Half-Orc barbarian by the name of Wat-Sun, who has been kicking some evil but with a sunblade for the past level or so. They recently busted a skull lord and his lackeys up in Ravenloft (Not our standard campaign setting) and gained enough xp to level, and I'm feeling like the character would want to further devote himself to his Shining Lord, so instead of taking another level of barbarian, I'd rather take a level of cleric, going into the strength and sun domains. In my research I haven't seen anything that would keep me from multiclassing these two(Could have missed something, though)and the main problem I've seen is casting while raging, which is impossible as raging pretty much prevents you from doing anything other than hitting a thing with another thing. Supposedly there's a feat for it, but I have yet to see anything not homebrew. So, any advice?

Krazzman
2013-10-14, 03:14 AM
-snip-

What is the build (Attributes, feats, skills) for this barbarian exactly? Any ACF's?

Since you already have 4 levels of barbarian the big 9 are out of the picture with a cleric.
Urpriest getting power from the Old Goddess of the Sun that was before Pelor could be a way.
Else: just stay Cleric after this and search for fullcasting prc's grab practiced spellcaster so that you get a CL of your current char level.

Casting while raging... in PF there is a Ragepower for that. For 3.5 you might find something in a Bardbarian build.

LordBlades
2013-10-14, 03:42 AM
What is the build (Attributes, feats, skills) for this barbarian exactly? Any ACF's?

Since you already have 4 levels of barbarian the big 9 are out of the picture with a cleric.
Urpriest getting power from the Old Goddess of the Sun that was before Pelor could be a way.
Else: just stay Cleric after this and search for fullcasting prc's grab practiced spellcaster so that you get a CL of your current char level.

Casting while raging... in PF there is a Ragepower for that. For 3.5 you might find something in a Bardbarian build.

Dungeon MAgazine #126 has Torc of Lucid Raging, which allows casting in Rage IIRC.

Orga_Strange
2013-10-14, 04:07 AM

Why's that?

He's a Boar Totem Barbarian, with Instant Rage and Extra Rage. Also, we're using 3.5e, with a little bit 4e thrown in, in the way of monsters and dungeons.

Dungeon MAgazine #126 has Torc of Lucid Raging, which allows casting in Rage IIRC.

That is perfect! Hopefully I can talk my DM into letting me get ahold of one.

Corlindale
2013-10-14, 04:20 AM
Casting in rage might not be a big problem - many of the cleric spells you'd want to use with a multiclass barbarian are pre-combat buffs anyway.

Multiclassing could work ok, your buffs will help compensate for what you lose from lack of barbarian levels. The main issue is that you want a decent Wis, but I assume you've got that if you're even considering going into cleric.

SciChronic
2013-10-14, 04:21 AM
you'll need to take the Practiced Spellcaster feat in order to be able to cast 9th level spells.

Corlindale
2013-10-14, 04:24 AM
you'll need to take the Practiced Spellcaster feat in order to be able to cast 9th level spells.

It doesn't work that way. It just adds 4 to your CL (so might well be useful anyway!), but it won't actually give you early access to 9th level spells.

Krazzman
2013-10-14, 05:50 AM
Why's that?

Because level 17 is the level 9th level spells come online. With 4 levels of Barbarian you will need level 21 to get them. Even more if you take a PrC with a "no casting progression level".

Practised Spellcaster could be worthwhile for you to add +4 CL to your spells (buffs stay longer).

RageMage COULD be a way to get Casting while raging but your DM would need to get it with other prereqs (switching from arcane to Cleric).

nedz
2013-10-14, 06:33 AM
Spirit Shaman is probably more in keeping, though you can play a Druid and take the Druidic Avenger ACF (UA, p 51). You lose your animal companion and spontaneous casting, gain a -4 penalty to wild empathy; but also gain fast movement and rage. The Rage is not as good as full on Barbarian, but you were only dipping anyway.