PDA

View Full Version : Awful horror movie had dashing swordsmans type class.

Senko
2007-01-02, 01:01 AM
I recently saw the horror movie scarecrow (disapointing as it was so over the top it came across as comedy rather than horror) however the main villain was in my opinion a almost perfect person to peg as a user of Elan's new class see below but beware of spoilers.

SPOILERS BELOW

The main villain (a reanimated scarecrow) was doing flips, jumps and sneak attacks throughout the movie almost everyone of which was acompanied by a really bad pun. Examples include.....

1) "I can be really corny" jamming a corncob in the guy's ear.
2) "Stick around for awhile" throwing a branch through the Sheriff.
3) "Shame you had to split" Cut the victim in half with a scythe.

I was just wondering if anyone else had seen examples in other sources (movies, books etc) of the dashing swordsman prestige class?

Talyn
2007-01-02, 01:10 AM
Spiderman!

Peter Parker is famous/notorious for his constant chatter and godawful jokes while he nimbly leaps around bigger and stronger (and slower) opponents!

1337_master
2007-01-02, 01:26 AM
To my Knowledge, I haven't heard you talk about any Swords, Thus this Scare crow cannot have the "Dashing SWORDSMEN" class.

Senko
2007-01-02, 01:38 AM
True spiderman would be a good example and just because its called Dashing Swordsman that doesn't mean you have to wield a SWORD just a light weapon of some kind or at least thats my interpretation and I'm sticking with it otherwise it would mean Elan's only able to use its benefits with a sword and nothing else say if he was forced to use a dagger.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:46 AM
hey! I think spider man's jokes are really funny... I'm lonely....

1337_master
2007-01-02, 01:48 AM
I belive that Julio's exact words were, and I quote: "It (refering to the class dashing swordsman) will allow you to substitute your Charisma Bonus for your Strength bonus to damage when you wield a rapier, as long as you can make a witty pun or spout a catch-phrase when you attack"

Key word RAPIER, which, if I belive, Is a Type of sword, Checkmate.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 01:55 AM
does that mean that the dashing swordman could be a starting class? and what would the stats be?

Senko
2007-01-02, 02:08 AM
"Among other abilities" thats just one perk there may be others, if not then it should be callled "The Dashing RAPIERman" since it doesn't work for epee's, foils, greatswords, shortswords, longswords, broadswords, katana's, wakazashi's, bastardswords etc etc.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 02:11 AM
well if it can I want to know the stats and requirements cuz that would be a cool D&D charecter for me.

Senko
2007-01-02, 02:31 AM
Sorry about forgetting to reply to your first question. I think Dashing Swordsman could be a base class with a little work (its refered to as a prestige one) since I've seen a similar (agility and swordswork based) class in Arcana Unearthed.

1337_master
2007-01-02, 02:34 AM
oh come on, It's about being DASHING and Dashing swordsman is more dashing then Dashing rapierman

Chismatic Swordsmen wield Rapiers. Badass Swordsmen Wield Katana's or lightsabers, Dexteritous Swordsmen wield Dual weapons, etc etc.

Senko
2007-01-02, 02:55 AM
Now your reaching.

1337_master
2007-01-02, 03:22 AM
...reaching?

Holy_Knight
2007-01-02, 04:41 AM
I belive that Julio's exact words were, and I quote: "It (refering to the class dashing swordsman) will allow you to substitute your Charisma Bonus for your Strength bonus to damage when you wield a rapier, as long as you can make a witty pun or spout a catch-phrase when you attack"

Key word RAPIER, which, if I belive, Is a Type of sword, Checkmate.

That's far from mate, my friend. Saying "this will work when you use a rapier" doesn't necessarily imply "this will only work when you use a rapier". Since Julio and Elan both wield rapiers already, he could just be referring to that. So, the abilities may work with any type of sword. Furthermore, the spell "Holy Sword", despite having "sword" in its name, works on any melee weapon--so this could be a similar thing, where the "Dashing Swordsman" class doesn't necessarily require the use of swords for the abilities to work. Also, Elan used both a punch and a kick with witty phrases against Nale, which suggests that he was using his new ability with non-sword attacks.

Finally, all that is in large part irrelevant anyway, since the intent of the thread was just to talk about examples of characters who spout witticisms when they attack.

Senko
2007-01-02, 04:43 AM
With the personality assignments I've seen some very weedy types wielding lightsabres and some very charismatic ones wielding Katana's. Also thank you Holy Knight for the support and for trying to keep this thread on topic.

FruitOfTheShroom
2007-01-02, 07:19 AM
words words words

Last I checked, the Swordsage didn't use just swords either. Neither did the Spellsword.

It is weird to picture a swashbuckling type not using a sword, but a Handaxe or Dagger or light mace all work (mace is pushing it a bit, flavor wise)

Psyke_D
2007-01-02, 07:42 AM
I love spidermans jokes too.. so sad there isnt many of them in the films (i believe i've counted ONE joke while fighting doc oc..)

Anyways, senko, i think u have a point, but splitting peoplee in two with scythes doesnt have much to do with dashing swordsman class.. The puns sounds just about right though. And also, i believe the Dashing Swordsman is able to wield any weapon that is ligth enough for him to still dash around and wear the opponents down (alas, he cant use twohanded swordsm or otheer heavy weapons)

chibibar
2007-01-02, 09:45 AM
From Princess Bride: if Wesley is not a "dead pirate class" he would be a perfect dashing swordmen. I personally will interpret as using any one handed sword and puns :)

Tiako
2007-01-02, 11:19 AM
Errol Flynn. He was an adventure movie actor from the late '30s and '40s, and his movies are absolutely excellent. Pretty much every swashbuckling hero you see owes some debt to him.

I recommend The Adventures of Robin Hood. It is just about the most fun movie ever made.

Bobbis
2007-01-02, 01:33 PM
Deadpool; his opponents want to be defeated or even kill themselves just so they don't have to listen to his chatter.

Green Bean
2007-01-02, 02:46 PM
well if it can I want to know the stats and requirements cuz that would be a cool D&D charecter for me.

If you check the Homebrew board, some members have created their own version.

krossbow
2007-01-02, 02:54 PM
I must agree, spiderman seems to be the perfect fit for a dashing hero. Lets face it, he's a B level hero in terms of powers: Sticks to walls, strenght is more than an average joe, but still pretty low on the hero scale, Good agility, but pretty low speed compared to random mutants, even his webs are from a machine (old comics; I think ultimate says he makes them instead of using capsules).

However, what does he have? CHARM. Nothing unerves the super villian more than a perfectly placed pun as you fight what should be the most intimidating person on the planet.
"I love being the target".

1337_master
2007-01-02, 08:02 PM
That's in Different Context, A spellsword implies that the Character casts spells AND has Qualities of a fighter, the Sword is Just in wide use, due to it being totally awesome (BTW name one samurai/guy who uses a Katana that isn't Badass.)

krossbow
2007-01-02, 08:36 PM
How about any of the nameless ninjas who died in the great 80's ninja holocaust?

Wolfie_1066
2007-01-02, 08:42 PM
although it isent exactly puns Docter Who was a funny thing he has his moments where he will spout a pun or such (although not often) i wouldent exactly label dashing swordsman though he has too high of an int to compair to elan

Senko
2007-01-03, 12:05 AM
To Psyke_D I meant one of those hand scythe things (Kama maybe?) small enough to wield in one hand not one of the large 2 handed ones normally refered to by that name.

krossbow
2007-01-03, 12:26 AM
Are you talking about a sickle then?

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-01-03, 01:33 AM
This sounds like my kind of horror movie. When was it made?

Anyway, I have to agree...the essence of a Dashing Swordsman is the pun, not the blade.

krossbow:

Ultimate is the traditional web-shooter design (he built them by finishing off a formula his father was working on). Though in the main continuity, Spidey recently gained organic web shooters.
Also, awesome Dr. McNinja ref :P
wolfie: That wouldn't disqualify him. Julio seems like a smart enough guy, after all. Besides, most people have intelligence too high to compare to Elan's :p

1337_master
2007-01-03, 01:40 AM
why would anyone put levels in dead pirate? that doesn't make any sense to me, unless you wanted to be an UNDEAD pirate, hmmm.

Senko
2007-01-03, 03:36 AM
Okay in order.

To Krossbow Yes that would be it thanks.

TO Dawnstrider_Moogle It was made in 2002 and there was also scarecrow gone wild and scarecrow slayer (Don't know the dates on the other 2 as I only rented the first one it was a 3 night new release which say's alot about how long it takes us to get these things). Just remember what I said about it being so over the top it comes off more as a comedy hack and slash than a true scary horror movie (althought there are few of those).

Skyserpent
2007-01-03, 04:34 AM
Agree on the Deadpool front

Fighting Rive, a Mercenery Blade Artist and Rive a Techno Construct Assembler (Pretend you know what's going on...)

Deadpool: Rive, a Mercenery Blade Artist and Makeshift Techno Construct Assembler. I think I killed them both before.
Cable: You did.
Deadpool: that bodes well for this fight then. *Draws*
Rive: HYAAAAAAH!
Deadpool: I saw Kill Bill too! Well, I only saw Kill Bill one but I saw it ALSO.
*Swords clash*
Deadpool:Which was in response to you yelling "HYAAAAAH!"
Makeshift:HE STILL WON'T SHUT UP! God! Being killed was a RELIEF!

1337_master
2007-01-03, 04:39 PM
That's far from mate, my friend. Saying "this will work when you use a rapier" doesn't necessarily imply "this will only work when you use a rapier". Since Julio and Elan both wield rapiers already, he could just be referring to that. So, the abilities may work with any type of sword. Furthermore, the spell "Holy Sword", despite having "sword" in its name, works on any melee weapon--so this could be a similar thing, where the "Dashing Swordsman" class doesn't necessarily require the use of swords for the abilities to work. Also, Elan used both a punch and a kick with witty phrases against Nale, which suggests that he was using his new ability with non-sword attacks.

Finally, all that is in large part irrelevant anyway, since the intent of the thread was just to talk about examples of characters who spout witticisms when they attack.

and one more thing, When He kicked Nale, he was wielding a Rapier, so that WOULD work. :smallamused: