PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I need to detect evil ...

Eldonauran
2013-10-14, 10:27 AM
I am looking for a way to gain the ability to detect evil. Preferably at will. Ideally, gaining this ability through an item (custom may be an option but not ideal), feat or other source is what I am after. Taking a class level, prestige class or alternate race (character is Human) is not an option. Any 3.5 source is available (no 3rd party or Pathfinder).

Any ability that functions similar to detect evil, such as an ability that detects the presence of some other mechanic that leaves little room to doubt the creature is evil, will be functionally equivalent to my needs.

Summary:
No class or prestige class suggestions
No race suggestions
Everything else, please.

Studoku
2013-10-14, 10:31 AM
Do you have enough ranks in UMD to make a DC 20 check? A wand or eternal wand would be the obvious choice.

A Rod of Alertness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#alertness) does this along with a lot of other things. Unfortunately it comes with an 85k price tag.

Eldonauran
2013-10-14, 10:32 AM
Do you have enough ranks in UMD to make a DC 20 check?

Negative. The build I am working on has 3 ranks a level and UMD is not on that list. Sadly, a skill monkey I am not.

I can't give out too many details, but the character is Chaotic Good and has taken arcane disciple. Has minor arcane casting ability.

Chronos
2013-10-14, 10:33 AM
What class/classes do you have already?

Would it work to have an effect that affects different alignments differently, and see how creatures react?

Zanfire
2013-10-14, 10:35 AM
One of the Greater Powers available to Intelligent Items is "detect (opposing alignment) at will"

Studoku
2013-10-14, 10:37 AM
I'll have a look through the MIC.

Lens of Revelation (MIC p215) can detect evil outsiders or undead. Would that work?

Eldonauran
2013-10-14, 11:11 AM
What class/classes do you have already?
Duskblade and Soulborn make up the base classes.

Would it work to have an effect that affects different alignments differently, and see how creatures react?
If it would assist with identifying (or logically concluding) that the creature is evil, it would help.

I'll have a look through the MIC.

Lens of Revelation (MIC p215) can detect evil outsiders or undead. Would that work?
Yes. Yes, it would. It is a narrower focus than what I'd really want though it fits thematically with my character concept.

Any other ideas would be welcome. :smallbiggrin:

Even if I can't get exactly what I am looking for, having the ability to conclude the target is evil with little room for doubt would help out a lot.

bekeleven
2013-10-14, 11:28 AM
A custom eyepiece of continuous detect evil should run you 2K gold, if you have that in your budget. If you have to be good, it would cost only 1.4k.

Custom Magical Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)

Slots for an item of detect evil, starting from most appropriate going to iffy, are would be amulet (protection/discernment), phylactery (alignment), eyes (vision), bracelets (allies), or hat (interaction).