PDA

View Full Version : Predator- Adapting the Movie Monster [PEACH]

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 02:13 AM
Okay then, let's see if this works better...

I’ve adjusted the stats some, I hope they’re less over the top now, and fine-tuned the weapons a bit as well as giving them some of the technology that seems appropriate. I’m not giving them a blasty plasma-bolt or ethergaunt equivalent for now- I’m kind of trying to play with ‘Predators as if they had evolved in D&D land’- but I think with the bows they’d build for themselves are pretty nasty projectile weapons all on their own. The imagery I’m drawing on for that is towards the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, where the Uruk-hai attack and all of a sudden these *thick*, *horrific* black arrows sprout from nowhere and you just get this feeling of how much force there was behind it.

I’ve also adjusted the vision thing, hope it makes more sense and fits better. I’m still looking for advice on how one calculates a Level Adjustment, as well.

Hryush:

Medium Monstrous Humanoid
Hit Dice: 10d8+40 (80 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40 ft (8 squares)
Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +1 natural, +3 studded leather armor) touch 14, flat-footed 14.
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+5
Attack: Masterwork Longspear +16 melee (+14 Adjacent) (1d8+6/x3) or Masterwork Composite Longbow(+5) +15 ranged (1d8+5/x3) or Short Sword +15 melee (1d6+5/19-20/x2) or Slam +15 melee (1d6+5/x2) or Bite +15 melee (1d3+6/x2)
Full Attack: Masterwork Longspear +16 melee (+14 Adjacent) (1d8+5/x3) and Slam +15 melee (1d6+5/x2); or Short Sword +15 melee and Slam +10 melee (1d6+5/x2); or Masterwork Mighty Composite Longbow (+5) +15 ranged (1d8+5/x3); or Slam +15 melee (1d6_5/x2) and Bite +10 melee (1d3+6/x2).
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: --
Special Qualities: Thermal Vision 60 ft.
Saving Throws: Fort +11, Ref +9, Will +5
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 18, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 14, Cha 10 (using Str 12, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10 and Cha 10 as a base)
Skills: Hide +18 (+22 in home territory/appropriate jungle), Move Silently +16, Listen +9, Spot +11, Survival +9, Search +8, Climb +10, Swim +10, Tumble +9, Jump +10, Balance +7 (10 ranks Hide, 10 Move Silently, 5 Listen, 5 Spot, 7 Survival, 5 Search, 5 Climb, 5 Swim, 5 Tumble, 5 Jump, 3 Balance.)
Feats: Alertness, Stealthy, Lightning Reflexes, Shorten Grip
Environment: Warm marshes
Organization: Solitary, hunting/scouting pack (2-5), clan (20-100 +5% non-combatant young) (long lifespans- they’ve usually got a few children around, not many, but consistently)
Challenge Rating: 10? (again, need advice on calculations)
Treasure: Some coins, bone jewelry?
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: (Need Advice on Calculating)

Looking past the quivering spear that has been imbedded in the tree behind you next to your ear, you can see the mottled patterns of the jungle suddenly outline a figure running towards you with the ring of a blade being unsheathed as it approaches. Half again as large as a human, the monster rushes forward, mandibles flared in a roar as long, thick spines stream back from its head like braids. It is muscled. It is massive. And it looks as though it's coming for your head.

Hryushes hunt to live, and live to hunt. In the trees or in the water of their native swamps, they are effective and deadly predators, seeking food and challenges to their skills as warriors. Blind to light, they see through a combination of heat and electrical sense.
--Thermal Vision: Not as Blindsense or Blindsight, the hryush still needs to make Spot and Listen checks to see someone within their normal range of vision, but being heat-based they are not affected by lighting conditions or spells such as Invisibility, which conceals a person from light-based sight but does not affect the heat they give off. Ethereal creatures are not physically present and thus are not visible, and blinding attacks still work against the hryush.

Standing about 8 feet tall, hryushes are muscular and powerful, with a thick, frog-like skin in highly effective camouflage colors stretched over hard-developed frames. Their heads seem large for their bodies, fringed in long adapted scales that almost resemble thick braids or flexible spines, and they possess deep-set eyes above a delicate mandibled mouth. Around their necks, arms and waists are jewelry carved of bone, heavy on the fangs and claws- symbols of kills they themselves have made, with intent on gaining prestige for themselves and their clans, as well as making themselves more attractive as potential mates. All other beings capable of self-defense are seen as rightful prey, though in rare instances, someone who has acquitted themselves well may be considered an equal. Hryushes eschew magical and mental abilities in favor of physical combat, regarding clerics with wariness and respect as an exemption to the rules- if the gods say that such a person can help them with magic, by all means, let them, if the situation is dire enough.

Combat:

When hunting for food, a hryush will approach with stealth, then attack swiftly and decisively- the same method is applied to trophy hunting, but once the element of surprise is lost, instead of letting their prey go they will continue to battle their chosen opponents, making their utmost efforts. In both, a hunter is most frequently found alone, but may team up with a partner or small group if the situation is clearly more than one can handle alone. A hryush attacks with blade first, and usually only goes for bareknuckle brawling if disarmed or engaged in more-or-less friendly tussles amongst its own kind. Biting is a last resort or a sharp reprimand to a subordinate. When in his or her home swamp, a hyrush receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks.

Being well-equipped is important to a hryush warrior, and the cultural focus on glorious hunts and battle has led to the creation of their own weapons and armor, focusing on their particular needs and abilities, including a way to neutralize users of the distrusted arcane powers.

--Helmet: Covering the face as part of their armor, this mask-like helmet also helps clarify Thermal Vision for a +2 to Spot.
--Shadowmesh: There are many dangerous and strange creatures living in the same jungle as the hryush, including spiders that weave a strange web indeed. Reflecting and redirecting light, it has the effect of seeming transparent- and making whatever is covered in it look much the same. Hryush crafters seek out these webs and spin and weave them into a mesh that hunters can wear, gaining the ability to Hide in Plain Sight when so clothed, with an additional +2 bonus to Hide checks. Armor may be worn over shadowmesh and treated with the same materials to not disrupt the effect.
--Equalizers: The inherent distrust of magic has lead, in this rare exception, to fighting fire with fire. The best craftsmen among Hryush will study arcane magics in order to be able neutralize them, learning spells themselves or working with powerful priests and priestesses to create small, anti-magic field bombs for more adventurous hunters to carry with them as they venture beyond their own territory. The hunter on the prowl where a party might encounter it will have three or four of these, using them sparingly when it seems advantageous, such as when the spellcasters of a party are forced into close quarters. Equalizers are small ceramic balls that break open on striking the ground or other hard surface, covering a 10-ft. radius with an anti-magic field for 110 minutes.

Hryush Society:

Hryush are organized into clans, based on close kin ties. Each extended family holds territory for hunting and living, keeping well isolated from other clans until the breeding season, when bands of outclan males will be accepted as guests in the territory of families where some of the females have decided to have children that year. They are tolerated for the duration of the season, first to witness their competition for the affections of the female warriors, then as support for their season-mates during gestation. After the birth of their offspring, males are expected to return to their own families.

Clans are usually led by the eldest and most renowned warrior, who is frequently given the position by the previous leader through a ritual trial by combat, when the elder leader feels their chosen successor is ready and that they are no longer physically fit enough to lead. Warriors and hunters are held to a strict set of rules about who is a fit opponent or prize in a hunt- slavery is viewed as anathema, and humiliation worse than death. A good death is not to be sneezed at- disgrace must be avenged.

Hryush favor physical strength and intelligence far above magic or mental abilities- a mage or psion would be shunned if they practiced openly, unless there were very special circumstances that placed them as a protector and useful to the species as a whole. Clerics are regarded with respect from a distance, while a gifted storyteller or bard is regarded as sacred to everyday life. In such a hyrush, physical weakness would be excused in deference to their exalted position, and their ability to make or break a warrior’s reputation in ways that will live long after they are gone. Physical ability is expected and required in all socially accepted Hryush, unless one has exceptional skills in other areas necessary to their lifestyle, such as weapons- or armor-making. Rarely will a mother be willing to expose her child if there is something wrong with it, but neither will she give unreasonable shelter as it grows, and if it overcomes its disabilities and survives to adulthood it will be highly respected.

Females are built much like males, being more amphibious or reptilian than mammal, though the fringe of adapted scales on their heads are often much longer, trailing in the water for their infants to hold onto as they swim. Each clan will have a compound made of wood at the center of their territory as a base, built around and incorporating the huge trees, with a few outflung dwellings for scouts/border guards and any local mystic or cleric. Being blind to light, they do not see as most creatures do, but depend on heat and vibrations or being close enough to touch- most non-verbal communication is tactile, their written language is read by brushing fingertips over the glyphs, and body art consists of scarring rather than tattoos. To be allowed close contact is a sign of trust usually only permitted with fellow clan-members and season-mates.

Hryushes As Characters:

Hryushes tend to be fighters, although they are capable of a great many things given time and inclination beyond the warrior life. Clerics worship the Burning Goddess and the Cold God, looking for good luck from the former and bad luck for their enemies from the latter. It is rare for a hryush to practice arcane magic, and often such a one, or one with lesser physical abilities or running from humiliation, will be an outlaw to hyrush society and become interested in the ways of other species.

Hryush characters possess the following racial traits-
-- +8 Strength, +6 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom.
-- A hryush’s land speed is 40 ft, water 25 ft.
-- Thermal Vision 60 ft.
-- Racial Hit Dice: A hryush begins with ten levels of monstrous humanoid, though it is possible for them to start out younger with appropriate adjustments. These provide 10d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +10/+5, and base saving throws of Fort +7, Ref +3, and Will +3.
--Racial Skills: A hryush’s monstrous humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 13 X (2 + Int Modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Hide, Move Silently, Listen, Spot, Survival, Search, Climb, Swim, Tumble, Jump, and Balance.
--Racial Feats: A hryush’s monstrous humanoid levels give it four feats.
--Weapon Proficiency: A hryush is proficient with the longspear, the shortsword, the longbow and all simple weapons.
-- +1 natural armor bonus.
--Natural Weapons: Slam (1d6), Bite (1d3)
--Special Qualities (see above): Thermal Vision
--Automatic Languages: Hryush, Common, Aquan.
--Favored Class: Fighter.
--Level adjustment (Need help Calculating)

The above is for a Hryush in the prime of life, an established adult and warrior- I'm also thinking that it might be good to have a lower-HD one available, representing a young adult, the sort more likely to break with tradition or be cast out and go involve themselves with PCs.

Hryush Deities:

Hryush worship two deities, whom they regard as the two primary forces in the universe. One associated with heat and the other with cold, the hryush believe that the universe is spawned, set in motion, destroyed and created anew constantly by the powerful reactions and interactions between these two elemental forces.

The Burning Goddess- The deity considered most conducive to hryush life, she is mistress over heat, energy and matter, grounding in the physical world and giving it life, the passion to live and kill and create more of oneself. Her domains are Fire, Chaos, War and Competition, and her favored weapon is the lightning bolt (longspear). Those who are struck by lightning are said to be favored by her.

The Cold God- The giver of order and stability, the ruler of hryush hell and the stiller of movement, the Cold God is considered lord of nothingness, of the void that devours. His favored weapon is the ice shard (short sword). His domains are Cold, Darkness, Law and Time.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2007-01-02, 02:29 AM
That +10 LA seems a bit much. And what about some sort of invisibility...well I suppose that'd be magic/technology...

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 02:36 AM
Note the question mark...^^ That's part of why I'm putting it here and asking for advice- this is my first attempt at making a monster and I'm unsure about things like calculating CR or LA (particularly LA). As for invisibility, I was figuring in a D&D setting without a thing for magic, they'd rely on being really stealthy- but if you have a suggestion to the contrary, please feel free to say.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 02:50 AM
I love this monster.... can there be a half human form race created?

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 02:52 AM
Mmm- personally I would say no. I mean, D&D humans seem to be able to breed with anything and somewhere someone could figure a good excuse, but I'd say for biological and cultural barriers, it wouldn't happen.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 02:55 AM
hhaha it would look funny.... hey umm like in alien ressurection there was a human/alien cross breed and at the end of AVP there was a Alien/predator cross breed so in AVP 2 or some other future release do you think there could be a Predator/human crossbreed or a human outfitted with predator technology?

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 03:00 AM
'S always possible, but for this I'm more about adapting the species and their MO to standard D&D. As for hybrids, I'm still favoring 'it can't happen', barring the usual wizardly interference, and I'm not using AVP or any of the comics as reference, aside from the notion of equal or larger females.

mc skittlez ninja master
2007-01-02, 03:04 AM
ive never seen a female predator... I think...

Closet_Skeleton
2007-01-02, 07:52 AM
The official Predator word for themselves begins with a Y I believe but if you're just making something inspired by them it isn't so important.

I would tone down the stat bonuses a little bit. Slightly lower ones would still be impressive without being rediculous. If you want them to have higher stats come up with some ability modifiers and then apply them to the elite array to get the monster version.

If you want to keep them non-technological you could let them buy some kind of stealth makeup. Or just make them all high level rangers, they can hide in plain sight anyway. Favoured class should be ranger, possibly scout but more likely ranger.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-02, 09:29 AM
Hmmm. Been awhile since I considered Predator's as a PC race. In looking over your write up, I have a few suggestions.

Remove the Blindsense and Tremorsense. From what I understand, they don't actually have the ability to see things that aren't there, or to know when a creature is in contact with the water. It always seemed more like.....this is going to sound weird but like a spidey sense. Like sometimes they just know the danger is there and sometimes not. I don't know if you can work with that or not but it seems plausible.

There were actually a couple of books at one point that went into Predator society and culture quite a bit, hough I can't for the life of me remember their titles. A human having Predator tech is actually quite possible from what I read on the back, given center conditions, but my main point is that there is a pretty reliable source there if your willing to look.

Speaking of which, you should really lower that down some. The way it is now, a PC would need to be 20th level to be a regular plain ol' Predator with no class levels. And you won't be able to pull your weight in a 20th level party as a plain ol' Predator. Maybe around +3 or so considering how many Racial Hit Die they and the abilities they have.

This really isn't anything mechanic wise but perhaps a Code of Conduct should be roughly drawn up fro them. They seem to have pretty strict rules about who can be killed and who can't be, as well as how they should hunt in the first place.

My final tidbit is this, you need to have Predator technology. Its not particularly hard to do, I could probably do up a rough verison of the cloaking right now, and its part of the reason their just so damn deadly. Predator's without their tech are......smaller Astral Stalkers without the special abilities and a higher LA. The important thing to remember with Pred tech though is that none of it should be magical. All of it can and should replicate spells but none of it should be magical. It will add a whole new level of scary to your PC's if a group of Predator's stalking them smacks them with an anti-magic field, and still goes invisible right in front of their eyes....seconds before their plasma cannon thingy makes their head explode like an over ripe melon.

I hope this is helpful.

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 02:33 PM
Thank you for the analysis, especially the advice on the stat bonuses- this is my first attempt at making a monster and I'm pulling it out of the air, really. The books you speak of are going into the Yautja version of the Predator culture, which isn't what I'm going for (I'm probably vastly unusual among fans by not caring for the development they got outside the first two movies- and maybe the first Batman crossover. From what I've read about those books, it seems- appropriately savage, but too specialized, and too many Japanese knockoff words)

My argument for the Blindsense and tremorsense is to account for how they see if blind to light, but using heat and being sort of amphibious, as well as accounting for those abilities to function despite pitch black or magical darkness.

Technology- okay, I think I can bend a bit on this. I like that image of the antimagic field hitting like a bomb, and then the fizzle of a hunter cloaking (or the casual disappearance of Hide in Plain Sight). I dunno about a plasma cannon, I do want to have a monster I can slide into a relatively standard game that will be unusual but not completely anachronistic (or copyrighted!). Barbed arrows... So how does one apply these things without using magic? I'm not sure how technology works in D&D, is it purely craft (something or other) rolls?

Seraph
2007-01-02, 02:47 PM
the canon name they use for themselves is Yautja.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-02, 03:41 PM
My argument for the Blindsense and tremorsense is to account for how they see if blind to light, but using heat and being sort of amphibious, as well as accounting for those abilities to function despite pitch black or magical darkness.

I believe thats more along the lines of their helmets then natural abilities. I don't know if your using them as canon or not, but the AVP games had Predator's viewing things in our spectrum of light, but the helmet allowed for thermal vision and what not. The heat would fall under darkvision I believe though, or at least thats what they call a drow's ability to see heat. Using the helmet as the source for Blindsense and tremorsense would be possible but I wouldn't include it in racial abilities. Their one reason why you possibly came up with such a high LA, and lets face it they are good abilities.

Technology- okay, I think I can bend a bit on this. I like that image of the antimagic field hitting like a bomb, and then the fizzle of a hunter cloaking (or the casual disappearance of Hide in Plain Sight). I dunno about a plasma cannon, I do want to have a monster I can slide into a relatively standard game that will be unusual but not completely anachronistic (or copyrighted!). Barbed arrows... So how does one apply these things without using magic? I'm not sure how technology works in D&D, is it purely craft (something or other) rolls?

Plasma cannon is the best word I can use to describe it. You might want to consider some of the technology the ethergaunts (Think really thin predators) have for Predator technology. Like the etherblade in place of that shoulder cannon thing. Acts as a glaive normally but it can fire a ray of force touch attach to deal so much damage (Sounds like the shoulder cannon but less visible and ultimately more limited) and has 50 charges. Barbed arrows...I think I may have actually seen that somewhere.

Anywho, technology, in my opinion, should be a mix of Craft and Knowledge skills. If your not a predator in any case.

Were-Sandwich
2007-01-02, 03:42 PM
The Ethergaunts from FF have lasers. And pretty neat bombs that deal wisdom bombs.

Simu-ed. And they're called Plasmacasters. Don't forget the harpoon gun, little grenade pistol and the almighty disc.

Saint George
2007-01-02, 04:19 PM
Just to add my own bit of knowledge to this...

Female Predators are huge. As in, big enough to make the males deathly afraid of them. There are a couple books in the predator series where they make mention of how monsterous the "women" are.

Also, don't forget to give them a bonus on heal checks. Yay for field first aid kits!

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 04:19 PM
I don't know if your using them as canon or not, but the AVP games had Predator's viewing things in our spectrum of light, but the helmet allowed for thermal vision and what not. The heat would fall under darkvision I believe though, or at least thats what they call a drow's ability to see heat.

That's one of the things that keeps me from including anything beyond the first two movies- because it's pretty plain that the Predators do see in heat without their helmets, the helmets just seem to clarify and add a couple of other spectrums. During the big reveal in Predator I, we see the mask coming off from the alien's view, and while everything washes red, like he's got less ability to differentiate, it's still heat-vision. That's one of the things that drives me *nuts* about all the other sources people seem to consider canon.

So darkvision is a sort of heat-vision? Is there a book you can point me at describing it, because Monster Manual isn't giving up its secrets to me at the moment. The d20 SRD site is describing it as simply seeing in darkness-
Darkvision is the extraordinary ability to see with no light source at all, out to a range specified for the creature. Darkvision is black and white only (colors cannot be discerned). It does not allow characters to see anything that they could not see otherwise—invisible objects are still invisible, and illusions are still visible as what they seem to be. Likewise, darkvision subjects a creature to gaze attacks normally. The presence of light does not spoil darkvision.
That doesn't quite gel with the sort of sight I'm thinking of. Doing things to change one's temperature would work to fool a hunter, but invisibility would be useless.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-01-02, 04:27 PM
Was never any actual rules that I saw that said darkvision is thermal vision. Just every time I hear of creatures being able to see heat (drow/wererat/etc. etc.) the closest thing they have to it is Darkvision. So I dunno. I mean thermal vision isn't nearly as close to the "Perfection of the senses" that blindsense is always implied to be.

And I'll try to refrain from using the games and whatnot from now on. Forgive me if I slip though because its been a long time since I saw either movie.

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 04:30 PM
It's allright, and understandable- like I said, I think I'm pretty rare in clinging so grouchily to the two films^^ And I am taking the idea of females being as large or slightly larger than the males- just not the the extreme implied by the books.

Edit- hmm. Perhaps I should make up a specific version of sight for these guys? Thermal- lighting conditions not mattering?

Danu
2007-01-02, 04:44 PM
I skimmed most of it, so I'll come back to edit this in a sec.

The predator's name for themselves is Yautja. Of course, that's non-canon (non-movie)information, unless you consider the AvP comics to be canon.

Here's some sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predator_(alien)
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Highrise/7256/intro.html

The last site is a very good resource on their customs, racial traits, and behaviours. It also talks about the "Kiande Amedha", which is the yautja word regarding the xenomorphs.

Weirdlet
2007-01-02, 04:57 PM
Thank you for the links- I am going by just what can be extrapolated from the first two films, though, with the exception of the notion of equal-to-larger females (though not to an extreme)

Danu
2007-01-02, 05:12 PM
My apologies. I had skimmed most of what was said, but I apparently missed a few posts. I'm not usually so lack-luster.

Weirdlet
2007-01-03, 03:01 AM
Edited my first version- see if it works better?