PDA

View Full Version : Forge World why?

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 07:13 AM
My friends and I had ordered some stuff from forgeworld for our warhammer 40k armies. Actually it's a lot of stuf, for I'm just starting, and have ordered 2 dreadnoughts with lots of extra parts, and the others have also ordered a lot of parts. (By now you probably wonder what the heck I'm posting this for)
Then stuff started to arrive 2 days ago:
A package with a set of wings. the wings themselve are around 7x3 cm, but the package is 20x10 cm.
Today arrive another package with the right (wrecked) claw of a carnifex. Also in a 20x10 package! Now I have ordered 15 items, ano one of them larger than 20cm. And I wonder will I reseive 15 packages?
I think it's such a waste of resources.

Bryn
2007-01-02, 07:28 AM
Strange - all my FW stuff has come in very small plastic bags (not counting my Vindicator - I can't remember how that was packaged), although it might not have arrived that way (who knows what Santa Claus does with the packaging?).

I know resin, especially with that detail, is fragile, so perhaps they need to the packaging to avoid breakages?

DeathQuaker
2007-01-02, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I'd say they may have padded it well to protect the resin. 'Course, seeing as one of your pieces is still wrecked, I guess it doesn't help much. Lots can happen w/ overseas shipping.

I live near Baltimore so I can buy my Forgeworld stuff at Games Day, which avoids some of that. Not that I buy a lot of Forgeworld, but it's nice to know it's there.

Bryn
2007-01-02, 08:16 AM
He might mean 'wrecker' rather than 'wrecked' - on this page (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_TYRANIDS_13.html)(third one down)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/carnifex-lclaw-store.jpg

Narmoth
2007-01-02, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'd say they may have padded it well to protect the resin. 'Course, seeing as one of your pieces is still wrecked, I guess it doesn't help much. Lots can happen w/ overseas shipping.

I live near Baltimore so I can buy my Forgeworld stuff at Games Day, which avoids some of that. Not that I buy a lot of Forgeworld, but it's nice to know it's there.

I meant wrecker. I'm not the one who plays tyrranids, so I'm not obligated to know. My point is that there are far more package than the little piece calls for (it's smaler than on the picture presented), and all my 15 ordered items would use a lot less space (meaning less postage for me) and a lot less materials (some of us actually try to think about the enviroment) than sending all the items in oversized boxes.

CaptainSam
2007-01-02, 02:58 PM
Maybe Forge World have a huge, Indiana Jones-style warehouse and it takes time to find all the little parts you've ordered. They might be wandering there for weeks, searching for the tiny pieces and think, "Well, they won't want to wait, will they?" and just send what they've got to hand.

Or maybe they have a deal with the Post Office.

Leon
2007-01-04, 06:30 AM
Because they can

Wehrkind
2007-01-09, 08:35 PM
Is GamesDay worth heading to for a newbie? I live up north of Philly, and was thinking of heading down to Baltimore for it.

DeathQuaker
2007-01-09, 09:45 PM
Is GamesDay worth heading to for a newbie? I live up north of Philly, and was thinking of heading down to Baltimore for it.

Yes! I went to GD the year before last, a relative newb myself (and I am one of those aliens to the Warhammer universe known as "a girl" so I felt particularly wary) and had a blast. Lots of stuff to do, learn, see and at whatever pace you like. I wouldn't do the tournament, though... it takes up too much of the day and more valuable to get in a registered game, or go to the paint'n'take tables, etc.

Also, if nothing else, it's nice to hit the Forgeworld stand and buy stuff without having to pay for shipping. ;)