PDA

View Full Version : Warrior Skald Build Help

Lanson
2013-10-14, 04:43 PM
I'm looking to play a Warrior Skald in a campaign I'm currently in, I'm looking to retire my Goliath barbarian because his personal goals have already been met, and he has no real reason to continue adventuring. He is also overshadowing my other melee party members, and I hate lacking options to do out of combat. I'm looking for tips and advice for my new characters build. Very roleplaying focused group, looking for a character that can be competent, not overpowering.

Hrothgar Hardrada
Level 8
Human

Stats
DM has not allowed me to roll stats yet.

Classes.
Barbarian 2 (Whirling Frenzy, Spirit Lion totem ACF's)
Battle Sorcerer 4
Warrior Skald 1
Spellsword 1

Past Level 8
Abjurant Champion 5
Eldritch Knight 7

Current Feat selection
1. Power Attack
H. Cleave
3. Draconic Heritage (Battle Dragon, for perform oratory)
4. +1 to Cha
6. Ancestral Weapon (BoED)
8. +1 Cha

I'd like help with any any future feats I may get, and ACF's that may help me. I'd like to stay close to this build, as my DM hates dipping as it is "Unfocused, and unrealistic a character would spread his abilities so thin" To him, classes are their profession, not a means to an end (I've tried to convince him otherwise.) Flaws are being considered.

Warrior Skald bardic progression is being left as is for now. Any suggestions to more updating would be much appreciated

I'll post more information and modify this post as changes are made, and suggestions taken. :smallsmile:

BWR
2013-10-14, 05:21 PM
Is his council harsh? Is he a harsh ruler?
If not, you might want to reconsider the nickname "Hardráda".

Lanson
2013-10-14, 05:32 PM
Is his council harsh? Is he a harsh ruler?
If not, you might want to reconsider the nickname "Hardráda".

The fact someone understands that makes me infinitely happy :smalltongue:
The other players don't get the reference, but yes, he is a harsh man, from a harsh land

Talya
2013-10-14, 05:58 PM
First of all, Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) . It screams skald, and the fortitude save is really necessary for the warrior skald image.

Secondly, Bardic Knack (ACF from PHB2) and the Jack of All Trades feat. Now you get ALL skills at 1/2 your character level, and can max out 6+ more skills of your choice. Lastly, Snowflake Wardance (Feat from Frostburn) and a Crystal Echoblade (4000gp from MIC).

Everything else is candy, but there's lots of candy, depending how many sources you have.

I recommend:

Silverbrow human variant.
Spellbreaker Song (ACF replaces Countersong)
Hymn of Healing (ACF replaces Fascinate)
Song of the Heart (ACF feat taken in place of bardic suggestion)

Other Feats:
Melodic Casting
Dragonfire Inspiration

Lanson
2013-10-14, 06:05 PM
First of all, Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) . It screams skald, and the fortitude save is really necessary for the warrior skald image.

You know, I never thought of just using Savage Bard *Facepalm* I looked at it like, 15 times thinking of classes to do this, but I was so obsessed with making him have a high bab, I forgot snowflake wardance. I will run this past my dm, we dont have the physical book copy of "it's cold outside" Normally he doesn't allow pdfs to work, though some exceptions have been made previously.

Might be able to open up a "Skald in a can" and be happy with a little less BAB and a much "simpler build" Mwahahaha (so freaking many bardic ACF's that can make me so much better than my previous build if allowed)

Talya
2013-10-14, 06:09 PM
You know, I never thought of just using Savage Bard *Facepalm* I looked at it like, 15 times thinking of classes to do this, but I was so obsessed with making him have a high bab, I forgot snowflake wardance. I will run this past my dm, we dont have the physical book copy of "it's cold outside" Normally he doesn't allow pdfs to work, though some exceptions have been made previously.

Might be able to open up a "Skald in a can" and be happy with a little less BAB and a much "simpler build" Mwahahaha (so freaking many bardic ACF's that can make me so much better than my previous build if allowed)

I have the advantage of having built and played this character before (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=48368).

Lanson
2013-10-14, 06:11 PM
I have the advantage of having built and played this character before (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=48368).

Awesome build btw, yeah, my greatest folly when making characters is forsaking the obvious and making things overly clunky and complicated.

Talya
2013-10-14, 06:39 PM
My version wasn't going DFI, and didn't have Silverbrow Human, but she did have Magic-Blooded as a template (awesome for any bard, especially savage.) She also had Martial Study (Foehammer) for two reasons.

(1) She's a Viking Skald. Fear my Foehammer! (In retrospect, I should have asked for a crystal echohammer.)

(2) It makes Intimidate a class skill. Doomspeak, if your DM has Champions of Ruin, is killer, and she was taking it at 9.