PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Ideas for new Character ... Awesome concepts welcome!

Feint's End
2013-10-14, 04:44 PM
Ok since my other thread didn't get as much attention (probably due to length) here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308870) I'll reask the question much simpler and in a way which is often asked.

I'll reroll my Character and I'm looking for interesting characterconcepts (crunch is important but bonuspoints for awesome backstory/playing style)

Current group is (might have slight changes):

Cleric (support, a little bit of everything, Bard (usual bardstuff), Warblade (nothing special here ... two handed fighter), Swordsage (heavy on Shadow Hand and Tiger Claw ... fighting with TWF)

The general optimization level is pretty low so I don't really worry about power.

Rules for Creation,
-Rolled stats ... mine are: 18 16 15 15 12 9. I can also increase one by two and decrease another one by two to get some more options.
-Everything goes ... we play 3.5 but I can use most PF classes instead and even homebrew is fine if reviewed
-"no cheese" as by dm (I'm the experienced player in the group and he asked me to play in a decent powerlevel)
-no traits or flaws (I might get one trait if it fits storywise)

I'm really looking forward to your ideas and/or to builds you had a blast with

Alberic Strein
2013-10-14, 04:52 PM
Han Solo.

Nothing more to add.

Feint's End
2013-10-14, 04:57 PM
Han Solo.

Nothing more to add.

While that would be awesome my dm isn't big on using laser guns (or firearms in general for that matter) in his games :smallbiggrin:.

Alberic Strein
2013-10-14, 05:11 PM
Then you're out of my area of expertise.

EDIT : Changed my mind kid, how about...

A Truenamer.

Except not.

You're a warlock. Your invocations are day-long. Your party, which expects you to do absolutely nothing, sees you do absolutely nothing magical. They expect nothing of you, and will always be pleasantly surprised by how surprisingly useful you are as far as fighting is not related (maybe tell your DM that each time you fire that light crossbow you actually fire an eldritch blast, then roll secretly)

Then you PrC into Hellfire Warlock and, when your team encounters a truly fearsome foe, when the TPK seems to roll in, when the BBEG lifts you by the neck... You simply crack a smile and...

"Trueword : BURN MOTHAF*CKA"

And you hellblast him all the way to hell. With fire that burns fire.

And then you are legend.

Psyren
2013-10-14, 05:13 PM
Er... any idea what you feel like playing? "Give me a character concept, all sources allowed including homebrew" is pretty daunting. Maybe if you narrowed the field a bit..?

(Un)Inspired
2013-10-14, 05:26 PM
The Wizsassin build seen here:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/3420726

It is a pretty phenomenal build and I think it would fit well into your party because chumps use knives to kill people and champs use telekinesis and enervation sneak attacks.

pop that 18 into your int and the 16 into dex and become an invisible terror to your enemies. The build essentially gets everything a wizard does and eveything a rogue could ever want without really losing anything (ok your bab isn't great but who cares? just use true strike and touch attacks is you really need to hit things).

If your dm declares Illumian to be too cheesy then be human, or tiefling to be am immoral devil assassin. Also, Devil Assassin should be the name of a metal band.

The build has lots of options for things to do but because of its inherent focus on basically being a ninja mage it leads the player away from being an over the top campaign crusher wizard.

And, of course, I am in no way claiming credit for this or any of the amazing build at the Weekly Optimization showcase. Tempest_Stormwind and his friends deserve loads of credit for the awesomeness that are these builds.

commander panda
2013-10-14, 05:36 PM
i'm just going to throw out some stuff that i've been wanting to play.

-a hobgoblin paladin/greyguard who used to be a paladin of slaughter (you could ask you DM to give you intimidate rather then diplomacy, to reflect your past.) this one is a bit ill advised, since youre party has alot of melee guys, but i may as well throw it out there.
-an archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229330). since your party has alot of melee guys :smalltongue:. posibly with some big burly race to offset the "archers are little weaklings, who cant handle melee Legolas" vibe.
-dualists (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210101) because awesome.

might post more later. gotta go now.

Feint's End
2013-10-14, 05:42 PM
A Truenamer.

Except not.

You're a warlock. Your invocations are day-long. Your party, which expects you to do absolutely nothing, sees you do absolutely nothing magical. They expect nothing of you, and will always be pleasantly surprised by how surprisingly useful you are as far as fighting is not related (maybe tell your DM that each time you fire that light crossbow you actually fire an eldritch blast, then roll secretly)

Then you PrC into Hellfire Warlock and, when your team encounters a truly fearsome foe, when the TPK seems to roll in, when the BBEG lifts you by the neck... You simply crack a smile and...

"Trueword : BURN MOTHAF*CKA"

And you hellblast him all the way to hell. With fire that burns fire.

And then you are legend.

That sounds awesome ... I will definitely consider it :D ... I'd love to see their faces when it comes out.

Er... any idea what you feel like playing? "Give me a character concept, all sources allowed including homebrew" is pretty daunting. Maybe if you narrowed the field a bit..?

Well the thing is ... I'm kinda without a plan. Usually I don't have a problem to come up with good concepts but this time I kinda ran out of juice. Pretty much everything goes as said ... probably try something psionic? I'd love to sometimes. But I also like the other PF classes or even interesting homebrew. Probably a character with some charisma so I can guide my party ooc and ic (since the bard is not really an active player when it comes to talking and the other players charisma is pretty bad)

The Wizsassin build seen here:

http://community.wizards.com/content/forum-topic/342072

The link shows nothing to me :/ ... just error 404. I assume though it's kinda spellsniper? Would definitely be interesting. I'm not sure how viable the char is at level 1though (since we start there / already started).

First combats not gonna be too hard I think. Just the basic goblin raids etc etc.

Ortesk
2013-10-14, 05:47 PM
Well, something I personally wish to play but right now cant, and wont for a long time, is a Jermaine Monk/Life Drinker. Get some haste spells, Two Weapon Fighting, the gloves which give you Improved TWF, Flurr. Do 1 damage a hit, plus negative level. I will kill you all the tiny pip squeak said. and he was right....

Feint's End
2013-10-14, 05:47 PM
might post more later. gotta go now.

Thanks for the great suggestions. I've thought about going some form of ranged build but there are also so many ways to play that. I'll see what you guys come up with (As said ... the warlock is tempting)

Feint's End
2013-10-14, 05:48 PM
Well, something I personally wish to play but right now cant, and wont for a long time, is a Jermaine Monk/Life Drinker. Get some haste spells, Two Weapon Fighting, the gloves which give you Improved TWF, Flurr. Do 1 damage a hit, plus negative level. I will kill you all the tiny pip squeak said. and he was right....

While that sounds awesome there is the collision with our dex focus Swordsage :/ ... either he's gonna feel useless or I will. The idea is awesome though! Thanks.

Ortesk
2013-10-14, 05:53 PM
While that sounds awesome there is the collision with our dex focus Swordsage :/ ... either he's gonna feel useless or I will. The idea is awesome though! Thanks.

Do what i do, pull DM aside and say hey, deathward beats me, once in awhile give bad guy a cleric pal so group has to save my bacon. Powerbuilds are only scary when a dm has no counter, give your dm a break and give him counter on a silver platter

Lucid
2013-10-14, 06:12 PM
I would suggest playing a God Wizard (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1146876), you can easily tone it down through spell selection.

You're a tactician, you make sure everybody can do their job. You're the scrawny smart guy who knows how to get **** done.
When gathering information and sweet talking fail you have divinations to figure out the next step.
When time isn't on your side and you need to get somewhere quick you can teleport.
When a flying foe makes life difficult for your melee friends you bring him down to their level, or them up to his.
When mooks start swarming from all sides you throw up barriers to line them up for the meatgrinder.
And occasionally, when things get truly dire, you pull out all the stops and unleash your full arcane might to make your foes tremble in fear:smalleek: (or just get your friends the hell out of dodge:smallwink:)

In other words, focus on divination, battlefield control and debuffing. Pick up those buff spells the Cleric and Bard lists lack. I'd stay away from damage dealing(that's a job for the Warblade & Swordsage, and they'll probably do fine) and save-or-lose/die spells.

You're the ultimate support character, and if a situation calls for a specific tool the others lack, you're the guy that probably has it.

Play this right and your party will love you.

(Un)Inspired
2013-10-14, 06:12 PM
Ok I fixed the link in my previous post. The build is actually a wizard with ranks in stealth skills at low levels. It's viable at pretty much any level of play.

commander panda
2013-10-14, 07:48 PM
more suggestions
-soulweaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236890) looks cool, though i haven't given it a full read through.
-plague doctor (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214607) is about as far as you can get from the rest of the party, and is a really cool concept. the creator had a character quote for it "do no harm? what kind of a hack takes an oath like that?" that sums up the concept perfectly.
-darkstalker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228746) could shore up your parties lack of stealth.
-and teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286983) (my personal favourite) is so balls out awesome that by 5th level you can feasibly use your enemies as melee weapons :smallbiggrin:. its still a melee class, but it's very different from what the rest of your party is doing (can the swordsage resurrect people with their fists?... i didn't think so...)