PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead Season 4 (spoilers)

navar100
2013-10-14, 06:41 PM
Only one episode so far, but the character roles appear now to be the following:

Rick - Hero

Glenn - Sidekick

Carl - Jerk wannabe. He's been The Stupid but Hershel warned he was becoming Jerk last season. I'm getting this impression now. How he handles catching Carol teaching children how to fight with knives will be telling.

Daryl - Hero, graduated from Cool Guy who gets killed. As for the kid who wanted to shake his hand, you just know he represents fans of the show. Daryl is a Cool Hero. He's great.

Carol - Bad-Ass Chick. Congratulations Carol! You are no longer Catatonic Girl. You made it.

Maggie - Bad-Ass Chick but in danger of losing status. Glenn is bringing you down.

Hershel - Sidekick. No longer any trace of Evil Bastard of safe haven community. He's a sage.

Beth - Who? Exactly. Hershel's other daughter. The character you can never remember the name. She's supposed to have a more active role this season. They tried in the premier by giving her a boyfriend who then gets eaten. Having Daryl console her I think is an attempt to make people notice her because it's Daryl.

Michonne - Bad-Ass Chick Queen. Don't mess with Michonne but if she likes you, you know it.

Tyreese - The Stupid. He hasn't done anything dumb yet, but the signs are there. Doesn't want to kill walkers on the fence. Doesn't want to go on runs anymore. He's in the way, which is what The Stupids do.

Lawrence - He's the new guy who got caught under the liquor case. They show him eyeing a liquor bottle but he doesn't drink it, saving him from Stupid status. Then he takes it and almost hides it in his bag but then puts it back, saving him from Jerk status. He's trying to fit in with the group, but the potential is there he becomes the horrendous Stupid Jerk. Getting pinned under the liquor case is a Stupid thing, though.

Jacqui - Bad-Ass Chick. It will be interesting how she handles her brother, Tyreese The Stupid.

Reverent-One
2013-10-14, 07:06 PM
Tyreese - The Stupid. He hasn't done anything dumb yet, but the signs are there. Doesn't want to kill walkers on the fence. Doesn't want to go on runs anymore. He's in the way, which is what The Stupids do.

Nah, he's having some more difficulty in dealing with the nature of the world post-apocolyspe, but he's not stupid, nor in the way. He's trying to deal with it, just hasn't been able to do so successfully yet.

navar100
2013-10-14, 10:55 PM
It's been 4 years since the zombie apocalypse. If you're not dealing with it by now you're not much better than the crazy woman wanting to feed Rick to her husband.

otakuryoga
2013-10-14, 11:09 PM
i just have one thing to say about premiere....

Pooky? :smallredface:

navar100
2013-10-15, 01:22 PM
i just have one thing to say about premiere....

Pooky? :smallredface:

It was an in character joke. It's a story art for the Cool Hero to have someone he's close with put him in an "Awwww" moment of sappiness, the big lug. Daryl is tough yet has this romantic vulnerability that's appealing.

Daryl has a big target on his brains. :smalleek:

Maxios
2013-10-15, 05:18 PM
It's been 4 years since the zombie apocalypse. If you're not dealing with it by now you're not much better than the crazy woman wanting to feed Rick to her husband.

Uh, no it hasn't. It's been, at most, a year and a half.

otakuryoga
2013-10-16, 04:19 PM
Uh, no it hasn't. It's been, at most, a year and a half.

i was going to say at least two years..but i think year&half is closer
its somewhere between those 2 values anyway

call season 1/2 about a 6 month period
then they had 6 months wandering offscreen before season 3 and entering the prison
and this season starts 6 months after last season ended(according to what was said on Talking Dead anyway)

t209
2013-10-18, 05:36 PM
i was going to say at least two years..but i think year&half is closer
its somewhere between those 2 values anyway

call season 1/2 about a 6 month period
then they had 6 months wandering offscreen before season 3 and entering the prison
and this season starts 6 months after last season ended(according to what was said on Talking Dead anyway)
But still Tyreese was bad ass and the first character in the comic.
Then executed by the Governor.

navar100
2013-10-18, 06:04 PM
Tyreese was Cool Guy in the comic. On the tv show he's The Stupid. Fortunately it hasn't cost anyone their life yet. He's still able to get out of it. He just needs to wisen up.

If this were a movie Tyreese's girlfriend would become Secretly Bit and he covers for her. The tv show doesn't leave much room for a Secretly Bit. Laurie was given an alternative means, and the Grave Digger from first season could only be one for an episode. The Darly Fan in the premier wasn't one either. He was just sick, but he didn't know why. He's now a Walker because everyone is already infected. Maybe next episode they'll do a flashback to show how or why he became sick as a matter of Plot, but I'm not seeing it as a Secretly Bit case. Horrible thought! When he shook Daryl's hand Daryl had spit in it first. Could that be how he got infected by something?

navar100
2013-10-27, 09:45 PM
I get it. Tyrese was upset. He was still being Stupid. You know in the car he was thinking of letting himself be killed. When he finally got out he was willing to sacrifice himself so that the others would make it. However, I had a little hope they would take from the comic book and have him actually survive the walker mob, and they did. Good for Tyrese. He still has a chance to grow out of it.

As for Carol, Jerk move but not for Jerk reasons. The promos for next week didn't show anything about consequences or reactions, so for that we'll have to wait.

Carl is struggling not to be Jerk. I think he knows not to be Stupid anymore. He's trying to be Hero but having difficulty.

Hershel played Hero this episode. About time he did something interesting and meaningful.

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. You're turning into Catatonic Girl.

MLai
2013-10-27, 10:06 PM
Please do not put comic spoilers in your post without spoiler tags. I know that the TV diverges from the comics story, but it could still become true as the writers play with the script. USE COMICS SPOILER TAGS.

Watched up to S04E02... Don't know what this plague is. Looks like a viral hemorrhagic fever such as Ebola or Marburg, but it has an absurdly short incubation period while not being very contagious (only a few ppl shows any symptoms).

Looks like it's the anonymous Rat Feeder's fault that so many zeds are gathering at specific spots and tearing the fence down. Who is suicidal enough to do something like that, and not show any signs? I'm betting it's Lawrence, just because he's the new guy who's constantly being shown in Secret Psycho camera angles. Though in-universe I don't see why he'd do it.

navar100
2013-10-28, 12:57 PM
I'm inclined to believe it's not Lawrence precisely because the imagery reads "guilty" whenever he's on screen. They gave us the surprise of Carol's actions, so we know the writers can do a fake out.

They could do a cop-out of having it be a random extra, one we never saw before or maybe just once in the background but I'm giving them credit it's someone we know. There's a small chance it's a member of the Core Cast we've come to love over the seasons, Lawrence is a possibility, or it's another new person. For now I'm thinking it's Tyrese's sister. Second guess the doctor.

navar100
2013-10-28, 09:58 PM
I, and perhaps others, have gotten a character's name mixed up. The character "Lawrence" is actually named "Bob". The actor's name is Lawrence, Lawrence Gilliard Jr.