PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] Phynxkin Skill Conversion

Kevingway
2013-10-14, 07:02 PM
Hey guys! So I'm working on a Tauric template, and I'm running into the trouble of not knowing what the heck the Phynxkin's base skill bonuses are. Dragon Magic lists these as the Phynxkin's attribute scores:

Str 14
Dex 13
Con 14
Int 2
Wis 8
Cha 8

Its skills are as follows:

Climb +8
Hide +3
Listen +0
Move Silently +4
Spot +0

As an animal with two intelligence, the Phynxkin, being an RHD1 creature, has only spent 4 skill points. So to figure out where these skill points were spent, we have to knock off the attribute bonuses to skills, these being the new skill bonuses:

Climb +6
Hide +2
Listen +1
Move Silently +3
Spot +1

And here's where I'm stuck. With 4 skill points to work with, I feel like I can immediately shove Listen and Spot off to the side, since in order to be +0 in the stat block, I imagine the creature had a skill point spent in each to avoid the negative score given due to its 8 Wisdom. But then that leaves 2 more skill points about which to ponder. I could shave off one, or even two, from either Climb, Hide, or Move Silently, but no matter which way I do it, I'm going to end up with an odd skill benefit (+1, +3, +5, etc.)--which I suppose wouldn't be a bad thing, but odd numbers as skill bonuses seems uncommon in 3.5, so I'm assuming there's a step that I've missed.

Could anyone help me figure out the answer, or where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks.

Helcack
2013-10-14, 08:14 PM
1 sp in spot, listen, move silently, and climb would make sense to me as then it's racial bonuses would be:
Climb +5
Move Silently +2/ Hide +2

Urpriest
2013-10-14, 08:19 PM
It's got a Climb speed, so it has a +8 racial bonus to Climb. With that in mind, the skills are just wrong. There isn't a correct parsing of the skill points because the creature was created incorrectly (unless someone can figure out why it would have a -1 or -2 to Climb).

Kevingway
2013-10-14, 08:24 PM
Thanks guys! So I suppose on that note, I'll have to do some fudging and give this puppy a load of made-up points for it to even be accurate. Hm.