PDA

View Full Version : To every generation a Slayer is born....

Ranting Fool
2013-10-14, 07:11 PM
A challenge for you builders of characters! Right guys so how would you build "Buffy the Vampire Slayer"?

Must look human.
Doesn't use many weapons/must be good at unarmed combat.
Doesn't cast spells.
Doesn't require much in the way of magic items
kicks lots of Vampire and Daemon arse.
Also makes cheesy and witty remarks while fighting (though this one you don't need to stat) :smallbiggrin:

Slide
2013-10-14, 07:13 PM
Didn't we just have a monk challenge somewhere around here?

Talya
2013-10-14, 07:21 PM
Actually, Buffy's quite good with any weapon she picks up. In addition to improvising sharp sticks as weapons. You need some ability to intuitively gain proficiency with EVERYTHING, including improvised weapons.

Aside from that, I'm inclined to say Warblade and Unarmed Swordsage would both need to be part of that build. Count her red leather pants as "light armor."

Buffy is also superhuman, you can't replicate that without a slayer template.

As a tangent in the wrong forum, I recently got my figurative hands on the Buffy/Angel RPGs. They really look like they'd be good at replicating the feel of the show. (However, they have nothing to do with d20.)

Traab
2013-10-14, 08:23 PM
Actually, Buffy's quite good with any weapon she picks up. In addition to improvising sharp sticks as weapons. You need some ability to intuitively gain proficiency with EVERYTHING, including improvised weapons.

Aside from that, I'm inclined to say Warblade and Unarmed Swordsage would both need to be part of that build. Count her red leather pants as "light armor."

Buffy is also superhuman, you can't replicate that without a slayer template.

As a tangent in the wrong forum, I recently got my figurative hands on the Buffy/Angel RPGs. They really look like they'd be good at replicating the feel of the show. (However, they have nothing to do with d20.)

Dont forget the slayer spirit is demonic, so that gives you another direction to work with to get the stats you want.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-14, 08:29 PM
I'd do something like Warblade 2/Swordsage 2/Fighter 2/Ranger 5 with the favored enemy being Outsider (evil) and Undead.

Ramza00
2013-10-14, 08:45 PM
Give her the paragon template.

Talya
2013-10-14, 08:47 PM
Dont forget the slayer spirit is demonic, so that gives you another direction to work with to get the stats you want.

Hmm. I still don't think there are any appropriate templates to work with. (Half Fiend certainly doesn't fit.)

In the Buffy RPG, Slayer is an incredibly expensive 16-point quality (you buy qualities and drawbacks at character creation - most fall within the 1-3 point range) that adds huge amounts to (in d20 terms) strength, dexterity, constitution, and saves. In addition, it makes you a whole lot more durable and resistant to damage (probably best shown as DR/- in d20), adds combat skills (to hit and dodge bonus to armor class), health and ability score regeneration, and the ability to sense vampires within 100 feet.

As an example, a mortal character in the buffy RPG cannot normally have a an ability score higher than 5. Only supernaturals can exceed that amount. A slayer is supernatural, so they can exceed it through normal means, but they also get a +3 bonus to strength, dexterity and constitution. They get a bonus that's higher than what the average person has, and can far exceed the norm with it.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-14, 08:50 PM
Arena Fighter. Gets decent stats with improvised weapons (roughly worth a spear), treats all non-proficient weapons as improvised weapons, gets bonus to AC when unarmored or wearing cloth armor.

Oh, and that's 4e, by the way.

JoshuaZ
2013-10-14, 08:53 PM
Give her the paragon template.

I don't think she really needs any special templates. Yes, being a Slayer is special, but if one is a setting where high level characters aren't at all common, then simply having a few more levels in warblade or fighter will accomplish a fair bit. In any case, Paragon is way too strong. A level 1 commoner with paragon has a starting AC of 39. If you give her even any class levels at all, she'll be nearly impossible to hit, which is clearly not the case (someone firing with a gun manages to hit her).

A paragon creature also gets a +20 luck bonus on damage rolls for all melee and thrown ranged attacks, which would make Buffy much more damaging than she is.

And she'd get all ability scores raised by 15. That might make sense for Buffy's physical scores, or even for her wisdom, but this would put her int and charisma at 20 minimum even assuming she started out borderline mentally challenged. There's no reason she'd have any trouble in school then.

And the spell-like abilities aren't anything like what she does (although you could reasonably have her have a supernatural always on haste effect).

Seclora
2013-10-15, 12:39 AM
I don't think she really needs any special templates. Yes, being a Slayer is special, but if one is a setting where high level characters aren't at all common, then simply having a few more levels in warblade or fighter will accomplish a fair bit. In any case, Paragon is way too strong. A level 1 commoner with paragon has a starting AC of 39. If you give her even any class levels at all, she'll be nearly impossible to hit, which is clearly not the case (someone firing with a gun manages to hit her).

A paragon creature also gets a +20 luck bonus on damage rolls for all melee and thrown ranged attacks, which would make Buffy much more damaging than she is.

And she'd get all ability scores raised by 15. That might make sense for Buffy's physical scores, or even for her wisdom, but this would put her int and charisma at 20 minimum even assuming she started out borderline mentally challenged. There's no reason she'd have any trouble in school then.

And the spell-like abilities aren't anything like what she does (although you could reasonably have her have a supernatural always on haste effect).

What if we broke that down to some sort of physical-only version of Paragon? Lose the spell like-abilities and the bonuses to mental scores. If you swapped that for something like Nemesis from BoED and Fast Healing it would sit a heck of a lot closer to the set of abilities slayers seem to actually get.

Maybe a free luck reroll once a day too, although that could just be Buffy.

Xerlith
2013-10-15, 02:40 AM
Take a look at the Elan race. The abilities fit.
There is also -of course - the Saint template.

And it seems that a warblade/unarmed swordsage would really be the best bet on recreating her combat aptitude.

TiaC
2013-10-15, 04:23 AM
Lolth Touched or Feral would be my choice for templates. The claws on feral aren't great, but fast healing is.