PDA

View Full Version : Only 3 TV Shows

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-14, 07:34 PM
You can only watch 3 TV shows till you die--what are they and why? (Please don't post spoilers.) My three would be M*A*S*H, Breaking Bad, and Scrubs.

M*A*S*H because even though I've watched nearly every episode at least three times, it still manages to entertain. It's got comedy, drama, and just speaks to the human condition and is all in all amazing.

Breaking Bad because it's ... Well, Breaking Bad. The acting is phenomenal, no "if"s, "and"s, or "but"s. Whenever I watch it, I really and truly believe the actors are real people. Also, it's amazing to see Cranston as Heisenberg after being a fan of MiTM.

Scrubs because, like M*A*S*H, it addresses a lot of things and even with multiple viewings, I still find it brilliant. Also more of a comedy than M*A*S*H, and I'm going to need something more consistently and traditionally funny to watch.

Tiki Snakes
2013-10-14, 07:41 PM
Only three TV shows till I die? That's pretty tough.
Doctor Who seems a pretty obvious choice though. Interesting, varied, and there's about 50 years of content. :smallsmile:

Hard to think of two other shows as capable as Doctor Who to fill a lifetime of viewing with, really.

MikelaC1
2013-10-14, 07:44 PM
24 would have to be in there. Something no one had ever done, in a way that had never be done, with twists that defied prediction. Years 2-5 were the greatest, but even the later years were better than most of whats on TV.

grolim
2013-10-14, 09:28 PM
1) M*A*S*H, because as said it is just wonderful.

2) SG-1, funny and entertaining.

3) The news, like to keep up on current events. What? It is on tv and a show.

Equinox
2013-10-14, 09:42 PM
Seinfeld, 60 Minutes and Monday Night Football. I'm a man of simple tastes.

Dienekes
2013-10-14, 10:25 PM
You can only watch 3 TV shows till you die--what are they and why? (Please don't post spoilers.) My five would be M*A*S*H, Breaking Bad, and Scrubs.

One, Two, Five
Three, my lord!
Three!

Huh, only 3 tv shows until I'm dead.

I would need something funny, something dramatic, and something weird.

For funny, I'm in a tug of war with a few here. Possibly because of the reference I just made I'm leaning toward Monty Python. But the first three seasons of Community, IT Crowd, Saturday Night Live, and Parks and Recreation all have some claim here. I might lean toward SNL, not exactly for highest quality, but there are a lot of episodes to keep me busy and hopefully entertained.

Drama, it is a shoot out between Rome, I, Claudius, and the Sopranos. I'm leaning more toward Rome. I just so thoroughly enjoy Titus Pullo, Lucius Vorenus, Julius Caesar, and Atia. It is only two seasons, and the second is a bit all over the place, but I just love that show.

For the weird, it's gotta be Twilight Zone. A different strange story per day, some fantastic, some not, but they're unique and different than anything I've seen since (and I tend to enjoy them more than Hitchcock Presents).

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-14, 10:32 PM
1) M*A*S*H, because as said it is just wonderful.

2) SG-1, funny and entertaining.

Oh yay, another M*A*S*Haholic. :smallbiggrin:

One, Two, Five
Three, my lord!
Three!
You didn't see anything. :smalltongue:.

*snip*
Monty Python and The Twilight Zone are definitely good choices. I understand the desire to pick something that'll probably never end, like SNL, but ... There are always good "oldies"--for lack of a better term.

Rater202
2013-10-14, 10:34 PM
In no particular order.

Doctor Who-all of it. almost fifty fracking years of high quality content.

My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. Because instead of having tea parties, these ponies kicked a dragon in the face.

Dragon Ball. Between the original Dragon Ball and DBZ, there's enough Shonen to last a life time.

gurgleflep
2013-10-14, 10:44 PM
Only three shows? In that case, I'd have to go with:
Ninja Turtles, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131613/) M*A*S*H, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/) and Rugrats. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101188/)

I chose these three because they're all funny and regardless of how many times I hear the same, corny jokes they don't get old... and I always seem to catch an adult joke that I missed when I was younger :smalltongue:

Edit: And we're counting the movies that were made because of these too, right?

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-14, 10:49 PM
Hm... quality is fighting with quantity here.

Unfortunately, I have four. Phineas and Ferb is definitely one, but those other two spots are being fought for by Corner Gas, Kim Possible, and The Late Show With David Letterman (plenty of episodes there :smalltongue:).

Oh, and if RWBY counts as a TV show, things just got worse.

navar100
2013-10-14, 10:52 PM
Star Trek
Doctor Who
The original V

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-14, 10:53 PM
Only three shows? In that case, I'd have to go with:
Ninja Turtles, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131613/) M*A*S*H, (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068098/) and Rugrats. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101188/)

I chose these three because they're all funny and regardless of how many times I hear the same, corny jokes they don't get old... and I always seem to catch an adult joke that I missed when I was younger :smalltongue:

Edit: And we're counting the movies that were made because of these too, right?
Yessss, the M*A*S*H fans come out!! Uhm ... For M*A*S*H I think the series finale counts, as it's a TV movie, but for the others I'm hesitant to say yes. The 1970 movie though? Not so much.

Oh, and if RWBY counts as a TV show, things just got a lot more complicated...
I'm going to say no.

gurgleflep
2013-10-14, 11:24 PM
Yessss, the M*A*S*H fans come out!! Uhm ... For M*A*S*H I think the series finale counts, as it's a TV movie, but for the others I'm hesitant to say yes. The 1970 movie though? Not so much.

I'm going to say no.

I can see counting M*A*S*Hes movies towards it but seeing as it continues the story then I'd have to include two Rugrats as well. The first one where Dill was born in the and the second where they snagged up Kimmy from Paris. I wouldn't count Rugrats Go Wild though, that was just them meeting up with the Thornberries and it wasn't relevant to the series other than just for the sake of a crossover.

thubby
2013-10-14, 11:28 PM
star trek, dr.who, and ER

Balain
2013-10-14, 11:30 PM
Probally Stargate sg-1, Doctor Who, and Futurama for me.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-14, 11:45 PM
I can see counting M*A*S*Hes movies towards it but seeing as it continues the story then I'd have to include two Rugrats as well. The first one where Dill was born in the and the second where they snagged up Kimmy from Paris. I wouldn't count Rugrats Go Wild though, that was just them meeting up with the Thornberries and it wasn't relevant to the series other than just for the sake of a crossover.

That seems fair, for the Rugrats. What do you mean by the M*A*S*H movies though? Because the finale/TV movie definitely would, but the 1970 movie that didn't star Alda is a definite no, in my opinion.

CletusMusashi
2013-10-15, 12:19 AM
I don't want to get sick of a show that I actually like, so if I could only watch three shows for the rest of my life:

Friends
The Big Bang Theory
and
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

I'm never going to escape them anyway, so that's not a big change.

I'm never going to find them less funny than I do now, because there is no number of laughs lower than zero.

And, who knows? Maybe if I go long enough without watching better TV, I might actually be able to spot the punchlines that everybody else seems to find so hilarious.

I'd rather spend an eternity watching shows that I hate than getting sick of shows that I actually love.
Already been that latter route with The Simpsons.

gurgleflep
2013-10-15, 12:58 AM
That seems fair, for the Rugrats. What do you mean by the M*A*S*H movies though? Because the finale/TV movie definitely would, but the 1970 movie that didn't star Alda is a definite no, in my opinion.

I meant movie, sorry. I was a bit rushed when typing up the previous comment - wanted to get back to dinner :smallredface:

To rephrase in a more simple, elegant matter: I agree with what you said :smalltongue:

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 12:59 AM
Doctor Who (1963 - 1989)
The Wire (2002 - 2008)
Seinfeld (1989 - 1998)

Not my favourite shows (with the exception of The Wire) but ones with some longevity that I might get the best use out of them. Failing that Dark Shadows might be a good choice. It only ran for five years but it was a daily show so there are over a thousand episodes.

Remmirath
2013-10-15, 01:53 AM
Secret Agent, The Avengers, and classic Battlestar Galactica.

The first are two of my favourite shows, and also fairly long-running, so I wouldn't mind too much about watching them over and over again -- I don't spend all that much time watching TV shows anyhow, so it's not like it's my only entertainment. Secret Agent is an interesting and (with the exception of an episode or two) realistic sort of spy show, and The Avengers is a quirky and funny sort of spy show. So, to get something a bit different, I add in some science fiction with Battlestar Galactica. It's longer than my other favourite sci-fi show, and it's fun.

While The Prisoner is quite possibly my favourite TV show of all, I didn't pick it simply because it's also rather short. There are a few other shows I like, but that hits all of my top favourites except for The Prisoner anyhow.

factotum
2013-10-15, 02:13 AM
Hmmm. Tricky one. I think I'd have to go for Babylon 5, Dr. Who and something funny...say, Mock the Week?

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-15, 02:27 AM
Simpsons, Big Bang Theory, MASH.

BWR
2013-10-15, 03:04 AM
MPFC - 'nuff said
DW - because it's DW.
Last one is tricky, but I might just go for "Yes, Minister"/"Yes, Prime Minister". A bit short but the scripts and acting are just so incredible that I don't think I'd get tired of it soon.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-15, 03:06 AM
MPFC - 'nuff said
DW - because it's DW.
Last one is tricky, but I might just go for "Yes, Minister"/"Yes, Prime Minister". A bit short but the scripts and acting are just so incredible that I don't think I'd get tired of it soon.

What does the first one stand for?

BWR
2013-10-15, 04:08 AM
Monty Python's Flying Circus

Emmerask
2013-10-15, 04:15 AM
Hm I go with Stargate, Star Trek and West Wing :smallsmile:

pikeamus
2013-10-15, 04:26 AM
The Wire (for sheer quality)

Buffy (good balance of funny and dramatic, with decent quantity)

and umm...

Jeeze this is difficult. Tempted to go with Dexter but the last few seasons get a bit weak. I've rewatched Jonathan Creek more times than most other things, but since they are mysteries and I already know every episode back to front maybe I'd be better off with something else. Naruto is epically long and ridiculous fun. Cowboy Bebop is effortlessly cool. Spooks? 10 seasons of charming British spy based thrills? Sold.

Spooks.

Yora
2013-10-15, 04:32 AM
I would probably go with Deep Space Nine, Avatar, and Ghost in the Shell.

Lucid
2013-10-15, 06:14 AM
Breaking Bad

Batman the animated series. If animation doesn't count for the limit (I surely hope so:smalltongue:) Doctor Who.

But man, I can't inagine missing out on Lost, the Wire, Twin Peaks, Firefly and many others. At least for GoT & TWD I'll still have the books/comics.:smallamused:

Edit: or do you mean from now on, having seen the others? Cause that might change the list a bit.
Also I was imagining some pretty funny water cooler conversations.
"Man, did you see that last episode of the Wire, amazing stuff!"
"Nah, I don't get that one. But it's a shame you can't view Monty Python, funniest thing I've ever seen":smallbiggrin:

Traab
2013-10-15, 06:33 AM
Im going after longevity so Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and South Park. SNL alone will net me decades of tv before it starts to repeat, Simpsons has had an incredibly long life span, and south park is just plain funny. :p

erikun
2013-10-15, 06:36 AM
If I am limited to just three TV shows, I'm more likely to begin watching movies and ignore the restrictions. :smallwink: Seriously, I rarely watch TV anymore, so I'd be hard pressed to even name the good TV shows, much less the ones I want to spend the rest of my life watching.

dehro
2013-10-15, 06:58 AM
Dr Who because it's not likely to end anytime soon, which means less of the reruns (also, I haven't watched old-who so that's a lot of entertainment right there)
Scrubs is an old favourite.. great music selection and tends to be uplifting to watch.
Suits.. I just want to know how it ends.

Zerter
2013-10-15, 07:03 AM
The Wire. The Sopranos. Breaking Bad. Greatest shows ever, no debate possible. Okay, maybe Deadwood.

Chen
2013-10-15, 07:22 AM
Tough question. I think you'd want shows that are sufficiently long running otherwise it'd get boring too fast I think. Things like The Wire and Breaking Bad are excellent shows, but at 5 seasons of only a dozen or so episodes each, I think they don't have enough longevity for the rest of my life.

I'd go with:
Stargate SG-1: Generally fun show to watch. 10 seasons is also a lot of episodes.
How I Met Your Mother: 9 seasons, easy to watch random episodes and still be entertained

The last slot is tough. Either a drama of some sort (West Wing maybe?) or maybe the Simpsons (25 seasons now I think). A Star Trek could work too (probably DS9). Maybe even something like Buffy could work too. Last slot it tough...

Manga Shoggoth
2013-10-15, 08:13 AM
Well, I don't watch TV much as a rule these days. Too many issues with quality and interest. It was still quite difficult for me to pick three items.

But, here they are:

Mythbusters. Of all the popular "science" series, this is probably the best. Although they occasionally overdo the play-acting it is interesting and occasionally educational.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Caution: Incoming rant. I have spent the past twelve years or so dealing with children's television, and with one or two exceptions it has been a wasteland of crap. Sometimes patronising overly-moralistic crap (you don't have to have a moral in every story, and even if you do, you do not have to belabour children about the head with it). Then, along came MLP. Amazingly, moral stores that aren't moralistic, stories that bear repeated watching, and above all, stories that are fun to watch. It's far too good to leave to the 8-year-olds. Even my wife and daughter like it, and getting something all three of us are prepared to watch is sonething of a feat.

The last one was something of a poser. I was torn between QI, The Good Life, Danger Mouse, The Goodies and a handful of others, but finally went for the English dub of Les Shadocks. This was a very surreal cartoon that was shown between the news and the magazine program in the evenings when I was about ten. I found it hilarious, and it was one of the first animations that really clicked with me. It was only ever shown once, and I would love to see it again.

BWR
2013-10-15, 08:17 AM
The Wire. The Sopranos. Breaking Bad. Greatest shows ever, no debate possible. .

Wire. Boring,
Sopranos. grossly overrated and uninteresting
BB. Couldn't get past the first episode.

Don't know about debate but disgreement seems to be fully possible.

dehro
2013-10-15, 08:30 AM
derp.. I didn't even think on quiz shows.. or panel shows..
3 is way too few.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-15, 08:49 AM
I meant movie, sorry. I was a bit rushed when typing up the previous comment - wanted to get back to dinner :smallredface:

To rephrase in a more simple, elegant matter: I agree with what you said :smalltongue:

Sounds good to me. :smallwink:

Doctor Who (1963 - 1989)
The Wire (2002 - 2008)
Seinfeld (1989 - 1998)

Not my favourite shows (with the exception of The Wire) but ones with some longevity that I might get the best use out of them. Failing that Dark Shadows might be a good choice. It only ran for five years but it was a daily show so there are over a thousand episodes.

Longevity is important. I was seriously considering Seinfeld for my funny pick. And there's no need to stop with 1989 Doctor Who if you don't want to.

*does a little dance in worship of M*A*S*H*

Hm I go with Stargate, Star Trek and West Wing :smallsmile:
The West Wing was a serious contender for me, but it just goes down hill after Sorkin left. If I'm choosing a show with such a limited run, I want to watch all of it very happily.

Breaking Bad

Batman the animated series. If animation doesn't count for the limit (I surely hope so:smalltongue:) Doctor Who.

But man, I can't inagine missing out on Lost, the Wire, Twin Peaks, Firefly and many others. At least for GoT & TWD I'll still have the books/comics.:smallamused:
Woo, more Breaking Bad! And of course animated series count, why wouldn't they?

Edit: or do you mean from now on, having seen the others? Cause that might change the list a bit.
Also I was imagining some pretty funny water cooler conversations.
"Man, did you see that last episode of the Wire, amazing stuff!"
"Nah, I don't get that one. But it's a shame you can't view Monty Python, funniest thing I've ever seen":smallbiggrin:
Yes, from now on seeing the others. :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Wire. Boring,
Sopranos. grossly overrated and uninteresting
BB. Couldn't get past the first episode.

Don't know about debate but disgreement seems to be fully possible.
Yes, but from a critical lens, which BWR and I seem to share, you are wrong.

Avilan the Grey
2013-10-15, 08:58 AM
Yes, but from a critical lens, which BWR and I seem to share, you are wrong.

Of course I am finding that I don't share most TV critic's opinions. I am fairly onboard with Movie and Game critics but when it comes to TV... virtually none of the hyped series the last 10 years are to my liking:

Lost? Awful.
Sopranos? Why are these people interesting?
The Wire? Awful people doing awful things. It's like the news, but less interesting.
Breaking Bad? "The best show on TV ever" or as I see it "the thing that runs on another channel when I watch the Daily Show"

...And so on. I don't know why modern TV doesn't appeal to me. It can't only be age, since I am still on top when it comes to (most) games and movies...

Seerow
2013-10-15, 10:19 AM
Im going after longevity so Simpsons, Saturday Night Live, and South Park. SNL alone will net me decades of tv before it starts to repeat, Simpsons has had an incredibly long life span, and south park is just plain funny. :p

I was thinking along the same lines. Pick something that broadcasts regularly and has been on forever and will likely go on forever longer.

...and honestly given that criteria, I'd probably pick one of my mom's soap operas. Been running constantly an hour a day for the last 40 years? It'd take me a lifetime to catch up with current, and even if I did, I'd still have new stuff to watch daily. Really can't beat that.

comicshorse
2013-10-15, 11:47 AM
Doctor Who- happy childhood memories, sci-fi and decades of stuff. Yep I'll take that

Want a comedy series so.............Futurama (but Red Dwarf came very close)

Serious drama. Arghh, Rome ? I Claudius ? The Wire ? (gotta check out Breaking Bad after all the recommendations)Deadwood? but I think I'll go with The Shield

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 02:01 PM
Longevity is important. I was seriously considering Seinfeld for my funny pick. And there's no need to stop with 1989 Doctor Who if you don't want to.

I really don't like the 2005 series, at all. If I could swap that out for the audio dramas that'd really be the ultimate. Can I do that?

thompur
2013-10-15, 03:09 PM
Three is tough.
One is easy: Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Two is Easy: Buffy and M*A*S*H
Three...Buffy, M*A*S*H, and...
I love Classic Star Trek, but 50 years of Doctor Who... West Wing is amazingly great television, but Batman:TAS was epic!
I, Claudius is the greatest show ever produced for television, but it's only 13 episodes. Same problem with Firefly.
The D!ck Van Dyke Show is the best sitcom ever, but I already have M*A*S*H for laughs.
Hmmmm...I'll probably go with Doctor Who. There's a lot of it I haven't seen.

dps
2013-10-15, 05:53 PM

Meh, I read the newspaper for that.

Ok, lets see. First, Doctor Who. That's easy, for reasons already mentioned.

Second, a comedy. Tough call--I'm torn between The Beverly Hillbillies and WKRP in Cincinnati. WKRP is probably more consistantly good, but it ran half as long, and has less than a third the number of episodes, so I guess I'd go with the Clampetts.

Third, for a serious drama, I guess I'd go with the original Law and Order. 20 years, 450+ episodes.

Kindablue
2013-10-15, 06:18 PM
I don't know about forever, but I could be entertained for a pretty long time with just The Honeymooners, Louie, and Colombo.

Kitten Champion
2013-10-15, 06:34 PM
Third, for a serious drama, I guess I'd go with the original Law and Order. 20 years, 450+ episodes.

That's a good choice, I was contemplating a drama of serious length which was consistently good and nothing really came to mind. Law and Order's a series I've always liked when I happened to see it, but never watched avidly.

I would pick the Simpson for comedy.

And PBS' Nova, which has nearly 700 episodes.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-10-15, 06:51 PM
QI, a show which remains fascinating no matter how many times I've seen an episode. Plus there's a lot of content there.

The Simpsons (or maybe Futurama), for reasons that have already been said.

Last one... hm. I guess MLP?

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-15, 08:56 PM
I really don't like the 2005 series, at all. If I could swap that out for the audio dramas that'd really be the ultimate. Can I do that?
No, that defeats the point. It's the whole show. Nothing stops you from skipping certain bits and just watching what you like. Plus, in the case of SNL and Doctor Who, it allows for new content.

And yay, more M*A*S*H. :smallbiggrin: I totally didn't make this thread to see if I could find out who likes M*A*S*H on the forum. No, but really. I didn't.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 09:05 PM
No, that defeats the point. It's the whole show. Nothing stops you from skipping certain bits and just watching what you like. Plus, in the case of SNL and Doctor Who, it allows for new content.

But- But- It's a different show! :smallfrown:

With a different production team and different writers and, most importantly, markedly different philosophies and styles.

I still don't know if I'm allowed the audio dramas. I'd tolerate the presence of the new series if I could bring the audio with me.

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-15, 09:53 PM

With a different production team and different writers and, most importantly, markedly different philosophies and styles.

I still don't know if I'm allowed the audio dramas. I'd tolerate the presence of the new series if I could bring the audio with me.

Well I'm pretty sure that you're still allowed free use of all other forms of media, including movies. :smalltongue:

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 10:08 PM
Well I'm pretty sure that you're still allowed free use of all other forms of media, including movies. :smalltongue:

Don't be all up in my face, using your logic and ****. You gotta roll with the punches, man. The punches, in this case, being my inability to pick up on very obvious things.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-15, 10:51 PM

Yes, you can have the audio dramas. Just like were I too choose a TV show, I could have the comic adaptations. I don't see why you wouldn't want the later series though, it's more material and it's the same thing as far as the BBC is concerned.

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 11:23 PM
Yes, you can have the audio dramas. Just like were I too choose a TV show, I could have the comic adaptations. I don't see why you wouldn't want the later series though, it's more material and it's the same thing as far as the BBC is concerned.

I don't want it because saying I'd watch it, even under dire circumstances, could be construed as an endorsement and I want there to be absolutely no ambiguity when it comes to my dislike of that show.

Given that the BBC were the ones responsible for the 1963 version being cancelled and the 2005 version being commissioned I take their opinion with some salt, thank you.

Lord Shardok
2013-10-15, 11:26 PM
The Next Generation, Dr. Who, and Adventure time. Also do I still have the internet, cause if not I couldn't deal.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-15, 11:29 PM
I don't want it because saying I'd watch it, even under dire circumstances, could be construed as an endorsement and I want there to be absolutely no ambiguity when it comes to my dislike of that show.

Given that the BBC were the ones responsible for the 1963 version being cancelled and the 2005 version being commissioned I take their opinion with some salt, thank you.

They're also the ones responsible for the 1963 version being created in the first place, yeah? :smalltongue:

DJ Yung Crunk
2013-10-15, 11:31 PM
They're also the ones responsible for the 1963 version being created in the first place, yeah? :smalltongue:

Alright, so two strikes against one.

Besides, 1989 BBC and 2005 BBC are more representative of their opinions and beliefs in 2013.

I'm mostly having a laugh, you know that, right?

Zevox
2013-10-16, 12:33 AM
Huh. Well, I don't watch much television to begin with, but two of mine are easy picks.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - given its popularity among members of this site, plus my avatar, I imagine I hardly need explain this one.

The Animaniacs - Easily one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and one that hits my nostalgia button pretty hard as well.

The third though... eh, not sure. Candidates would include Justice League/Unlimited, The Daily Show, and the Colbert Report. Maybe Star Trek: TNG; Ed, Edd, n' Eddy; and MLP: Friendship is Magic. Most of them fill a similar role to one of my main two though (either comedy or action/adventure), making it harder for me to decide.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-16, 08:31 AM
I'm mostly having a laugh, you know that, right?
Yeah, but I don't see why not have more when you it's a limited resource. Maybe you'll end up loving the new doctor, who knows, right?

Most of them fill a similar role to one of my main two though (either comedy or action/adventure), making it harder for me to decide.
Not gonna feel the need for any unanimated dramatics for the rest of your life?

Weimann
2013-10-16, 10:43 AM
Are these three TV shows the only TV shows I can watch, so that I may still freely watch movies and web originals? Or are they the only thing I can ever watch again in terms of moving pictures?

Raimun
2013-10-16, 11:02 AM
1) Angel (and Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I kind of think the two series as one whole. If not, I'd stick with Angel. People with supernatural powers fight each other and there's also drama and humor. What's not to like?

2) Monty Python. Because, duh. It's pretty much the funniest tv-show there is.

3) This depends on one thing: Will I be killed after I have watched the three shows? If not (I'm just not allowed to watch other TV-shows anymore), I'd probably pick Simpsons, Seinfeld or Frasier. You just can't laugh enough... or maybe you can and they lock you up in the funny house if you laugh too much?

If I will be killed after I am through, my pick will be the news.

Tylorious
2013-10-16, 12:00 PM
The Office
Parks and Rec
Futurama

These three are for the same reasons.
1. They all make me laugh
2. There is a great quantity of all three of these shows.

Zevox
2013-10-16, 02:51 PM
Not gonna feel the need for any unanimated dramatics for the rest of your life?
I haven't really felt the need for them as yet, so at present, I'd imagine not. The only show I've ever really watched that falls into that category is Star Trek: TNG, and that's not even some favorite of mine, as I've only been watching it slowly via Netflix for the past couple of years. The fact that it differs from my other choices that much is the main reason I put it as a candidate for my third, actually, and it still doesn't make it the most likely pick.

sktarq
2013-10-16, 03:23 PM
Frontline, BBC World News, Masterpiece Theatre. . . .*blink blink* That was easier than I'd thought it would be.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-16, 03:29 PM
Are these three TV shows the only TV shows I can watch, so that I may still freely watch movies and web originals? Or are they the only thing I can ever watch again in terms of moving pictures?
No, you can watch web originals and movies, but only if those movies and web originals are not related to any currently existing TV show OR are directly related to the three you chose.

Frontline, BBC World News, Masterpiece Theatre. . . .*blink blink* That was easier than I'd thought it would be.
Good on you!

Hiro Protagonest
2013-10-16, 03:36 PM
3) This depends on one thing: Will I be killed after I have watched the three shows? If not (I'm just not allowed to watch other TV-shows anymore), I'd probably pick Simpsons, Seinfeld or Frasier. You just can't laugh enough... or maybe you can and they lock you up in the funny house if you laugh too much?

Eh, I prefer Corner Gas to Seinfeld. Compare Seinfeld to Game of Thrones. One's a show about sex and shamelessly backstabbing people to get ahead and the other's Game of Thrones.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-16, 04:26 PM
1) Angel (and Buffy the Vampire Slayer). I kind of think the two series as one whole. If not, I'd stick with Angel. People with supernatural powers fight each other and there's also drama and humor. What's not to like?

2) Monty Python. Because, duh. It's pretty much the funniest tv-show there is.

If I will be killed after I am through, my pick will be the news.

1: Angel and Buffy's are two different shows.
2: No, you're not being killed. You're still allowed to go back an re-watch the three TV shows you've watched thus far.

SuperPanda
2013-10-16, 06:23 PM
I'd probably wind up with

The Daily Show - has gone on for a very long time, includes tidbits about what's happening in the world but isn't a source of News (well, neither are most News shows and it does it better than they do half the time ... but it doesn't pretend).

Whose line is it Anyway - Those guys are seriously talented and while I might miss some of the references, it is consistently amusing on repeats too just because of how awesome they are at improv.

I'd love M*A*S*H* I don't think I've seen it all and again amazing actors all around.

Doctor Who would reliably keep me entertained and with a huge backlog of new stuff (new to me) to go watch.

I'd miss Avatar - but its short enough to be difficult, and my inner Trekie says I need some sci-fi (but that's what movies / books/ my own writing is for)...

Not sure which of these would get that third spot.

Weimann
2013-10-16, 06:26 PM
No, you can watch web originals and movies, but only if those movies and web originals are not related to any currently existing TV show OR are directly related to the three you chose.Excellent!

Then I shall pick Avatar: the Last Airbender, the news, and... huh, I guess I have one spot open. I suppose I can put My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic there, but much as I like it, I'm sure it actually deserves that. I guess I'd take Doctor Who, then; at least there'd be many episodes, and I guess I do need to check what all the fuss is about.

Arkhosia
2013-10-16, 06:47 PM
A:TLA, Castle, and Sword Art Online

dps
2013-10-16, 07:22 PM
That's a good choice, I was contemplating a drama of serious length which was consistently good and nothing really came to mind. Law and Order's a series I've always liked when I happened to see it, but never watched avidly.

About the only other choice, at least among American series, would probably be Gunsmoke. Yeah, it's a western, but it's much more serious than most, if a bit old-fashioned. It had as many years as Law & Order, and even more episodes (650 or so IIRC), but a number of those are just 1/2 hour episodes.

Kato
2013-10-17, 09:39 AM
Okay, Doctor Who is an obvious choice her, assuming we allow Classic and Nu Who to be considered one (and even if not, it's still a pretty good deal)

Second... I think South Park is always a good game and it could be kind of considered news? Well, not really. I guess I'd really have to go with a news show for second place otherwise but there are other sources for news except tv aired stuff.

Third is... pretty difficult.. There's really nothing I could not live without and a lot of stuff I'd be happy to watch on and on and on... Hm.. I'll have to think about this one carefully.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-17, 11:50 AM
Okay, Doctor Who is an obvious choice her, assuming we allow Classic and Nu Who to be considered one (and even if not, it's still a pretty good deal)
As has been stated a few times, they are for the purpose of this thread.

Zerter
2013-10-18, 08:35 AM
Of course I am finding that I don't share most TV critic's opinions. I am fairly onboard with Movie and Game critics but when it comes to TV... virtually none of the hyped series the last 10 years are to my liking:

Lost? Awful.
Sopranos? Why are these people interesting?
The Wire? Awful people doing awful things. It's like the news, but less interesting.
Breaking Bad? "The best show on TV ever" or as I see it "the thing that runs on another channel when I watch the Daily Show"

...And so on. I don't know why modern TV doesn't appeal to me. It can't only be age, since I am still on top when it comes to (most) games and movies...

Lost is not that good. The Wire and Breaking Bad though? First of all, they are structured as books, with The Wire being five books and every episode a chapter and Breaking Bad being one book. It makes the pay off a lot greater if you commit to them. Because both have no problem with hurting liked characters or showing the dark side of something, you not only become more invested because of the structure but the shows also go places that other shows leave alone. Thirdly, aside from being entertaining they also work on more than one level: The Wire says a lot about society, Breaking Bad says a lot about good and evil.

It is not that I don't enjoy the Big Bang Theory, but it is pure escapism. I can get the exact same thing doing a thousand other things. I have had people tell me they rethink their entire morality because of Breaking Bad, the president of the US is influenced by The Wire, etc. These shows are works of art unique to television and you can not get the same effect through another medium.

Starbuck_II
2013-10-18, 11:45 AM
Well, I need something that I will want to watch more than once so Supernatural, New Girl, and Community will work.

If I had 4 I'd choose My Little Pony (Can I have old version and Friendship is Magic, I'd take FiM if I can't, but I just love how the males in the old version were having a race around the world to get best pick of the girls)?

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-18, 02:21 PM
Unlike Doctor Who, the old MLP and the new MLP will be considered different shows for this thread. Not that it matters much, you don't get a 4th. :smalltongue: I mean, come on--that'd defeat the entire purpose!

Tono
2013-10-19, 01:48 AM
Well, I would say Doctor Who, but as much as I love it a good bit of the old episodes now drive me to boredom and in NuWho I find my self getting more and more tired of it.

Probably definitely Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann though. I don't know how many times I've watched it and still want more.

Law and Order SVU is also probably up there. Watched it plenty of times. Tend to like it.

Next and on equal ground of SVU is NCIS. I can't imagine the amount of time I've just let USA or whatever channel run their marathons of this back when I had a TV. Also plenty of episodes between the two.

M*A*S*H would probably be a third if I didn't want both SVU and NCIS though.