PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Itemizing my level 20 Gish.

Snowbluff
2013-10-14, 08:41 PM
So I've got a one shot for Halloween coming up, and knowing my DM I will have to fight Superdevil (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29khjYTOLC8). His only stipulations was no ToB (so I will be playing a Wizard), and that we are going to have to build well.

So I've got the best level 20 class based gish (Swiftblade9/Spelldancer1/AbjChamp4). Being under Persisted Occular Haste and being perpetually shapechanged into a Solar with no spells is about where I am drawing the cheese line on this. I'll mostly be smacking things in melee, and being a pompous wizard.

General spells I'll be using:
Shapechange (Spell Resistance, Flight, Nat Armor, Regeneration, do I get the Solar's feats?)
haste (Speed, attacks, and miss chances)
Bite of the Wear Bear (Str, Dex Con, Enhancement to Nat Armor)
Luminous Armor (Armor AC, light)
Shield (Shield AC, blocks magic missile)

I think about using:
2x +1 Spellblade Ringsword Spike Gauntlets, with Wand Chambers
2 Wands of IDK yet.
Ring of Enduring Arcana
Prayer Beads of Karma
Hathran Mask of True Seeing... once I can figure out which book it's in.
Headband of Int +6
Tome of Int, as well.
Rings of Wizardry
Retributive Amulet
Starmantle Cloak

I hardly ever get a chance to do items, so it's a bit of weak spot for me. May I have some help, please? :smallsmile:

Urpriest
2013-10-14, 09:10 PM
Sans the same sort of cheese that would give you its casting, you don't get the Solar's feats.

A few Metamagic Rods are always nice on a caster.

Zanos
2013-10-14, 10:33 PM
Hathran Mask of True Seeing is in Unapproachable East on page 57.

That said, you might not want to spend 75k on a spell effect that you can just cast.

An Orange Ioun Stone and a Ring of Arcane Might could increase your CL by +1 each if you're worried about getting smacked with dispels, and are both fairly cheap for a level 20 character.

Snowbluff
2013-10-14, 10:49 PM
Sans the same sort of cheese that would give you its casting, you don't get the Solar's feats.

A few Metamagic Rods are always nice on a caster.
Thanks! :smallsmile:

Good idea. I don't have much MM beyond Persist...

Hathran Mask of True Seeing is in Unapproachable East on page 57.

That said, you might not want to spend 75k on a spell effect that you can just cast.

An Orange Ioun Stone and a Ring of Arcane Might could increase your CL by +1 each if you're worried about getting smacked with dispels, and are both fairly cheap for a level 20 character.
I was thinking about that. I am thinking about trading it in for something cheaper and more... specialized?

Orange Ioun- Yes! +1
Ring of Arcane Might- Mhm. +1
Prayer Beads (UMD) +4
Enduring Arcana +4
>:D

The spell blades will be tuned with dispels. I'll have a ring of spell battle, too.

Keld Denar
2013-10-14, 10:55 PM
You need stun/daze negation or curing. The cheapest thing is a Third Eye Clarity from MIC. It's only 1/day, but it'll save you from getting locked down by a Blasphemy for at least 1 round.

You might want to add Mind Blank to your spells, as well as probably Extended Superior Resistance + Extended Energy Immunity x5 for complete elemental immunity. All 4 Hearts couldn't hurt, and Elemental Body just for added protection (and perfect fly).

Snowbluff
2013-10-14, 11:05 PM
You need stun/daze negation or curing. The cheapest thing is a Third Eye Clarity from MIC. It's only 1/day, but it'll save you from getting locked down by a Blasphemy for at least 1 round.
Another thing I've spaced on. I don't think I want to go cheap here. Daze negation is hard, so I'll by the eye, but I think I want a more permanent option for the other immunities...

You might want to add Mind Blank to your spells, as well as probably Extended Superior Resistance + Extended Energy Immunity x5 for complete elemental immunity. All 4 Hearts couldn't hurt, and Elemental Body just for added protection (and perfect fly).
*facedesk*
You're right. I play abjurers a lot, and I should have had those recorded. :smallredface:

Keld Denar
2013-10-14, 11:22 PM
Blasphemy is one of those ones that's really hard to block. I guess you could do some sort of sculpted permanent Silence spell that excludes you, like the normal AMF trick. Favor of the Martyr is the best thing to eliminate it, but it's a 4th level short duration Pally only spell, which makes it incredibly awkward outside of Lim Wish or a cheezy custom item.

If I was designing a badass Halloween boss, I'd make sure it had Blasphemy at will, probably Quickened 3/day as well.

Snowbluff
2013-10-14, 11:29 PM
I'm not sure the silence would defend me if I am excluded...

I don't think my SR would hold up against anything that would kill me. Perhaps I should use the spell resistance spell?

Speaking of defenses, what brand of Twistcloth should I wear?

Keld Denar
2013-10-14, 11:38 PM
Do you have immunity to [Death]? If not, +1 Soulfire is a solid choice to start. Maybe +1 Soulfire Freedom if you have the 100,000 to shell out to cover both on a single item. Frees up a ring slot in case something should happen and you have to discharge your Heart of Water early and can't recast it or don't want to be burdened spending an immediate action on it to keep that action available for a Celerity or similar shanananananananananigans if something really throws you for a loop.

Greater Spell Immunity gives you immunity to Blasphemy, but it's a Cleric8 spell which makes it kinda tough.

Snowbluff
2013-10-14, 11:45 PM
Sidenote: I am actually immune to petrification, spells below third level, acid and cold already as a solar. Nifty.

I will need the Soulfire... it doesn't prevent ability damage, I think. That would be nice, since spelldancing can damage con.

I would also like a nifty at-will. Reserve feats are out, since Shapechange annihilates mine. I would have taken Dimensional Jaunt and Reach for maximum pompous wizardry.

(Un)Inspired
2013-10-14, 11:56 PM
As long as you're gonna be smacking things in melee I would suggest having one of your wand chambers be filled with a wand of wraithstrike.

Snowbluff
2013-10-15, 12:03 AM
As long as you're gonna be smacking things in melee I would suggest having one of your wand chambers be filled with a wand of wraithstrike.

One chamber will do. I think I'll have to drop my Aura , though. I don't think Wraithstrike would work on me with it up... (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm)

Hmm? Perhaps I could grab heighten spell, do a high leve lWS with persistent- BAD SNOWYB! Stop that.

Andezzar
2013-10-15, 01:06 AM
As long as you're gonna be smacking things in melee I would suggest having one of your wand chambers be filled with a wand of wraithstrike.If he has persistent spell, he can always persist wraithstrike.
You may want to read the description of Globe of Invulnerability again:
An immobile, faintly shimmering magical sphere surrounds you and excludes all spell effects of 3rd level or lower.

Snowbluff
2013-10-15, 01:20 AM
*ahem*

Protective Aura (Su): Against attacks made or effects created by evil creatures, this ability provides a +4 deflection bonus to AC and a +4 resistance bonus on saving throws to anyone within 20 feet of the angel. Otherwise, it functions as a magic circle against evil effect and a lesser globe of invulnerability, both with a radius of 20 feet (caster level equals angel’s HD). This aura can be dispelled, but the angel can create it again as a free action on its next turn. (The defensive benefits from the circle are not included in an angel’s statistics block.)From Magic Circle:

10-ft.-radius emanation from touched creature
The text of the two component spells conflict. The aura emanates from me.

I can dispel it, even if my DM claim I can not suppress it innately.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-15, 03:24 AM
Persistent Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic.
Persistent Bite of the Werebear.
Persistent Choose Destiny via Arcane Disciple for the Destiny domain in Races of Destiny. Warp Destiny from that same domain list is also pretty handy to have, you can recover it with a Pearl of Power if you think it's worth it. You can also put it on a custom Runestaff and cast it an additional 3/day, spontaneously even!

Make one of your wands Wings of Cover, and max UMD ranks. Consider getting Apprentice (Spellcaster) from DMG 2 to get it as a class skill, or get Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) and use Invest Skill Ranks to get a bonus equal to your ranks (+11 at 20th cross-class). As long as you have at least +19 total to UMD, you'll never fail the check to use a wand.

Selective Spell from Shining South page 21 plus Persistent Antimagic Field is completely silly. You're still in the AMF, but you personally are not affected by the spell's effect. You're still within the area of the AMF, it doesn't leave a hole like Extraordinary Spell Aim or Mastery of Shaping, so you cannot be targeted by anything that can't normally go through an AMF. Get a Starmantle Cloak from BoED and any weapon that strikes you will do so from within the AMF and be automatically destroyed, including natural weapons.

You can add certain bonuses to existing items of certain item spots for no more than a standalone item of the same bonus per MIC p234. This includes any Enhancement to any ability score, natural armor bonuses, deflection bonuses per Ring of Protection, resistance bonus to saves, energy resistance, etc. You should never get a Headband of Int when you could get a Cowl of Warding with +6 Int added, or a Hat of Anonymity at caster level 20 with +6 Int added. That Hat of Anonymity won't cost any more than normal if you craft it yourself (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#casterLevel) since crafting costs are a portion of base price and the base price is set in stone, whereas the caster level is variable. If you buy one from an NPC at caster level 20 they'll probably charge you 28,750 gp (+5 skill is 5x5x100, x1.5 per DMG p282, or 3750 gp. The remaining 8750 gp for the Nondetection portion divided by the default caster level of 7 makes it 1250 x caster level gp. 1250x20=25k, +3750 = 28750 gp). A Hat of Anonymity at caster level 20 for a Nondetection DC of 35 with a +6 Enhancement bonus to Int would cost 64750 gp purchased from an NPC, or 24,250 gp and 1,940 xp if you craft it yourself. Note that this is absurdly profitable to craft and sell (counting -5 gp per 1 xp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell), 30,770 gp profit), so it should be a popular and fairly available item.

TiaC
2013-10-15, 04:40 AM
You can get a wand of heightened Wraithstrike for less cheese.

Make sure that you have everything from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) covered.
Things I see on there that would be nice:
Banner of the Storm's Eye
Obi of Protection if you qualify to use it
Belt of Battle!
Blindsighted weapon enhancement?

herrhauptmann
2013-10-15, 04:56 AM
Steadfast boots, boots of agile leaping, boots of mountain king. Combining all 3 into one set isn't too expensive. Should be under 10k. (Can't access my character notes) Steadfast makes people not want to charge you. Just got to try and have more reach than them. Agile leaping for a free stand (need ranks in balance), and mountain king lets you ignore difficult terrain. I don't know how much you'll be grounded, so it's up to you.

I'd also recommend the entire Regalia of the Phoenix item set as well. The mask grants immunity to daze, and I think blinding. As a solar, I don't think you'll need the cloak, and definitely won't need the light mace, but I think the 1/day free Heal is worthwhile.

You could do a continuous item of Synesthete (can never spell that). The psi-power that makes you immune to blind/deaf. If you're neither blind nor deaf, you can get a +4 to search/spot, or listen. Only a few thousand gold.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-10-15, 05:11 AM
You could do a continuous item of Synesthete (can never spell that). The psi-power that makes you immune to blind/deaf. If you're neither blind nor deaf, you can get a +4 to search/spot, or listen. Only a few thousand gold.

Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm), so at Power Level (1) x Manifester Level (1) x 2,000 gp x 1.5 for 10 min/level it should cost 3,000 gp, or 4,500 gp to add this effect to another item.

Touchsight (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/touchsight.htm) is another amazing power to have continuously active. Get it augmented to 13 powerpoints for Power Level (3) x Manifester Level (13) x 2,000 gp x x for 1 min/level for a cost of 156,000 gp, totally worth it to always have better-than-blindsight at a 100 ft. radius.

ben-zayb
2013-10-15, 08:22 AM
Other items to consider:

Tabard of Valor: conditional Mettle
Shirt of Wraith-Stalking: all Undead can't detect you unless you attack them
Gloves of Storing: pop that extra wand in and out of your dimensional gloves as a free action

Eldariel
2013-10-15, 08:36 AM
I definitely think you want Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness to make heavy use of (Greater) Celerity without the Daze problems. Twin Spell is optional but convenient. There are also some spell recovery loops; are those beyond your cheese limit?

But yeah, items should mostly focus on buffing your CL (CL25 is the absolute minimum to get the full use out of Shapechange; learn the forms, you can change once per turn as a free action so you should be using your versatility), action efficiency (also don't forget Chronotyryn; also, you can layer Shapechanges/PAOs/Polymorphs if you want some special ability set and another physical ability set - Draconic Polymorph is particularly good for this) and all kinds of passive effects. Don't forget your HD in Contingent Spells on your person. I personally like Revivify + Healing [MiC] Armor as an emergency move. Just some stuff of the top of my head; itemizing level 20 characters is a huge pain.

Snowbluff
2013-10-15, 09:48 AM
Persistent Arcane Spellsurge from Dragon Magic.
Persistent Bite of the Werebear.
I've already got the bite.

The spellsurge is an excellent idea! I'll see about the destiny spells...

Wings of Cover This is a good idea. I htink this will fill my second wand.

Selective Spell from Shining South page 21 plus Persistent Antimagic Field is completely silly. You're still in the AMF, but you personally are not affected by the spell's effect. You're still within the area of the AMF, it doesn't leave a hole like Extraordinary Spell Aim or Mastery of Shaping, so you cannot be targeted by anything that can't normally go through an AMF. Get a Starmantle Cloak from BoED and any weapon that strikes you will do so from within the AMF and be automatically destroyed, including natural weapons.
I don't think I should try doing AMF stuff. I don't want to get my DM doing the same thing. I do have a starmantle, though. That and the Retirbutive Amulet are the first things I've picked up.

You can get a wand of heightened Wraithstrike for less cheese. I think it'd just be easier to dismiss the Aura. :smalltongue:

Make sure that you have everything from this list (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) covered.
Things I see on there that would be nice:
Banner of the Storm's Eye
Obi of Protection if you qualify to use it
Belt of Battle!
Blindsighted weapon enhancement?
Ofcourse I use the list.
The obi is redundant, but the other items will be present. One of the spellblades will get blindsighted, If I can afford it.

Steadfast boots, boots of agile leaping, boots of mountain king. Combining all 3 into one set isn't too expensive. Should be under 10k. [quote] Sounds good!
[QUOTE]
I'd also recommend the entire Regalia of the Phoenix item set as well. The mask grants immunity to daze, and I think blinding. As a solar, I don't think you'll need the cloak, and definitely won't need the light mace, but I think the 1/day free Heal is worthwhile. Um, that's dazzling. :smalltongue:

[QUOTE=ben-zayb;16220961]Other items to consider:

Tabard of Valor: conditional Mettle
Shirt of Wraith-Stalking: all Undead can't detect you unless you attack them
Gloves of Storing: pop that extra wand in and out of your dimensional gloves as a free action
Oooh! Cool!

I would replace the Gloves of Storing with Master Strategist, though. The action is cheaper.

I definitely think you want Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness to make heavy use of (Greater) Celerity without the Daze problems. Twin Spell is optional but convenient. There are also some spell recovery loops; are those beyond your cheese limit? I promised the other optimizer in the party I would not use celerity.

But yeah, items should mostly focus on buffing your CL (CL25 is the absolute minimum to get the full use out of Shapechange; learn the forms, you can change once per turn as a free action so you should be using your versatility), action efficiency (also don't forget Chronotyryn; also, you can layer Shapechanges/PAOs/Polymorphs if you want some special ability set and another physical ability set - Draconic Polymorph is particularly good for this) and all kinds of passive effects. Don't forget your HD in Contingent Spells on your person. I personally like Revivify + Healing [MiC] Armor as an emergency move. Just some stuff of the top of my head; itemizing level 20 characters is a huge pain.
I don't think I'll be using Chronotyn. It's too cheasy, and I am already making sweet love to my actions with Spellsurge and Swiftblade. I'll mostly be grabbing defensive traits or using it to remind people that I am a wizard.

Revivify. Healing Armor. Got it.