PDA

View Full Version : What hunting deities are detailed in 3.X?

Coidzor
2013-10-15, 02:37 AM
I'm cooking up a Hunting deity to run by my DM for a game and I want go get a feel for good domains to give it and make sure I haven't messed up the concept of portfolios that would go in line with a hunting deity too badly by drawing on multiple points of reference.

So who all is covered that'd be relevant and where are they?

I want it to be fairly robust before I give it over to him and it's out of my hands completely, since it's easier to remove than it is to add. At least, I think that applies to tweaking and editing this sort of thing in addition to the general case of editing.

Right now the idea is that it's a god of hunger/hunting and lust/courtship, covering both the literal and figurative meanings of being "on the prowl,"though the hunger and hunting aspect have been dominant thus far and could probably just stand alone.

The Hunt
Alignment: True Neutral
Aliases/Titles: The Lusty Hunter[Lusty Huntress came to mind, but that sounded... wrong somehow, despite considering making it a bigendered deity like Corellon Larethian], Preylord, Bone-Cleanser, Hungry Eyes In Darkness, The Chaser Chased Chasing

Portfolio: Hunting, Mating, Passion/Lust, Blood, Hunger, [S]Fear, Desperation, Exaltation, Wilfelife/Game, Woodcraft/outdoor lore.

Domains: Hunger*, Travel, Strength, Glory, Death, Animal

Tenets: Preaches mastery of the wild through woodcraft & woodlore. Proving one’s strength against the wilderness and fierce game. Care for one’s hunting animals/pack/mates. Respect for and using all of one’s prey. Filling the bellies of the tribe. Respect for the great predators, animal and magical beast alike. Mastery of the wild, but not breaking the wild and making it civilized. Pursuing the strongest mate possible. Sexual Mastery(?)

Worshipped by: Rogue(?) Druids(?), frontiersmen, tribals, barbarians. Receives some veneration from most savage and/or evil humanoids before they go out for a hunt.

Rites:
The Good Hunt: Prior to a hunt, the hunters gather together and drink blood from the last kill mixed with wine or mead with a portion poured onto the wood for the cooking fires for The Hunt’s share. When the kill is made, the prey’s eyes are torn out and crushed with a short prayer and the hunter who made the killing blow eats the crushed eyeballs. The blood of the kill is then reserved by the shaman/priest of The Hunt for holy water and a special form of sausage while the heart is burned on The Hunt’s altar.

Mating Season: The unmarried youth of the area for gather and show their strength, cunning, and skill in a series of games and contests and are divided into rankings. The winning male and female youths then compete against one another, the winner gaining the opportunity to take the other as spouse or to ask a boon of the tribe as a whole through the chief.

*to be altered, of course, keep the bite, change the spells to be less ghouly (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307633)

The DM's mentioned that hearing what I had so far was reminding him of the Wild Hunt as well as how he's tweaked Fey in his setting so that powerful Fey nobles can sponsor clerics and cultists or masquerade as gods in much the same way as powerful elementals and outsiders, such as archfiends, can and do.

(Un)Inspired
2013-10-15, 02:45 AM
This sounds like the kind of deity that radically misunderstands the concept of animal husbandry.

Coidzor
2013-10-15, 02:55 AM
This sounds like the kind of deity that radically misunderstands the concept of animal husbandry.

That could potentially tie into some of the legends about the origins of lycanthropy and/or aberrations and/or a couple of varieties of magical beast, yeah. XD

Kennisiou
2013-10-15, 03:26 AM
So to get this straight so I can maybe help by dusting off my old Deities and Demigods handbook, are you looking to see other gods with portfolios related to yours to see what domains they have?

Rhatahema
2013-10-15, 03:36 AM
The Wild Hunt was adapted in Dragon Magazine 342, pg88-89. The article includes a new deity (Master of the Hunt), two new domains (Hunt, Night) and a new feat (Frenzied Hunt). Might not be all you're looking for, but worth a look.

sleepyphoenixx
2013-10-15, 03:57 AM
You could take a look at the three "wild" nature deities in FR lore: Mielikki, Sylvanus and Malar. The Renewal, Gluttony and Wrath domains may fit to the hunter aspect along with Animal, Plant and Travel, depending on your concept.
For the lust/courtship aspect Sharess and Sune might provide some inspiration. Community, Family and Lust domains might be worth a look depending on the flavor you're going for.

Coidzor
2013-10-16, 01:35 AM
So to get this straight so I can maybe help by dusting off my old Deities and Demigods handbook, are you looking to see other gods with portfolios related to yours to see what domains they have?

Aye, though if any domains just come to mind instead, I'd be interested in getting pointed towards those as well. Also just interested in getting a feel for the fluff and the way it's formatted for their type in particular.

The Wild Hunt was adapted in Dragon Magazine 342, pg88-89. The article includes a new deity (Master of the Hunt), two new domains (Hunt, Night) and a new feat (Frenzied Hunt). Might not be all you're looking for, but worth a look.

That certainly does sound intriguing, I'll definitely work on taking a peek at that and pointing my DM that way too. Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

You could take a look at the three "wild" nature deities in FR lore: Mielikki, Sylvanus and Malar. The Renewal, Gluttony and Wrath domains may fit to the hunter aspect along with Animal, Plant and Travel, depending on your concept.
For the lust/courtship aspect Sharess and Sune might provide some inspiration. Community, Family and Lust domains might be worth a look depending on the flavor you're going for.

I was just thinking about doublechecking Malar, Sharess I'd completely forgot existed. :smallredface: Thank you.