PDA

View Full Version : Soul Caliber II!

Rama_Lei
2007-01-02, 11:36 AM
Does anyone here play? I'm utterly addicted and my brother and I will have massive Mitsurugi vs. Xianghua showdowns. What system do you use and what do you think of it's exclusive character? Any great stories or strategies?

2007-01-02, 12:40 PM
i have number 3 :/

Eldred
2007-01-02, 12:58 PM
I used to have Soul Calibur II on PS2, but I sold it and the console a while ago. I did find a nice trick with Knightmare, though. Once the opponent was down, you simply had to time his attack (I think it was an over-head attack with his sword) and the enemy would stand up for a split second and be knocked back down. Keep doing that over and over, and you have an easy victory. :smallwink:

Joran
2007-01-02, 03:06 PM
My favorites are Taki, Kilik, and Seong Mi-na. From Soul Caliber III, I enjoy playing Tira.

I'm basically a button-masher and love to sidestep attack, counter and throw.

I managed to beat one of the top tier Mitsurugi players one time using Kilik at a friend's house. He then proceeded to kick my butt with Xianghua, but hey, a victory is a victory nonetheless.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-02, 03:50 PM
Mitsu and Xianghua are both top-tier characters in SCII. Xianghua moreso, but Mitsu if you learn his cheese.

I play Astaroth, Ivy, and Voldo, in approximately that order of completely kicking your ass. Fear the Giant Bunny and his Wheel o'Fun.

Lord Magtok
2007-01-02, 09:35 PM
I rented the game for Gamecube. Nothing I enjoyed more than slashing people with Link and his Master Sword.

Rama_Lei
2007-01-02, 09:44 PM
I rented the game for Gamecube. Nothing I enjoyed more than slashing people with Link and his Master Sword.
Which makes you wonder, why did Link wait till now to become a ninja?

Penguinizer
2007-01-03, 02:40 AM
I have 2 and 3 but cant find the disk or even the case for 3 :(

Im ok with Nightmare, Cervantes, and Necrid in 2 and with Sigfried, voldo, and some others in 3

Jibar
2007-01-03, 03:32 AM
Oh he's not a ninja. He's Link. That's even better.
I have it on Gamecube. I always played as Link, Nightmare and Kilik. Nothing greater than blowing your enemy to smitherines.

Marek Haldir
2007-01-03, 09:17 AM
I have SoulCaliber II for Xbox, love that game. I'm fairly good with all of the characters, but I'm best with Talim, Kilik, and Astaroth. My brother and I would sit around for hours doing titanic battles between Astaroth and Nightmare. Then of course there was Ivy, who if you knew what you were doing would kick your butt with complete style and grace.

Amiria
2007-01-03, 01:58 PM
I have it for my PSII but don't play it anymore. I switched to SCIII.

In SCII I mainly played Seong Mi-Na and Nightmare but in SCIII I learned lots of different characters and switched my favorites to Seong Mi-Na, Cervantes, Taki, and Raphael.

Jibar
2007-01-03, 02:57 PM
I heard Soul Caliber III was a big disappointment, so I held out on getting it.
Well...nowhere actually had it, but that's not the point.
Was it all that bad?

Zonac
2007-01-03, 03:13 PM
I have SCII for gamecube, and my best characters are Link, Nightmare, and Ivy. My brother nearly always beats me, using that damn cheap Talim, or Sophitia, or Kilik, or whoever he's playing right now. Neither of us will choose our character untill the other one does, since one of us can choose the best character against the other.

Amiria
2007-01-03, 03:18 PM
I heard Soul Caliber III was a big disappointment, so I held out on getting it.
Well...nowhere actually had it, but that's not the point.
Was it all that bad?

I like it. They made some changes to many characters, they simplified and streamlined many move lists. For hardcore players that have mastered Raphael's style in SCII it was probably a mean thing but for a casual gamer like me it was rather a good thing.

The character customization mode is good. Some of the generic fighting styles are also good but most of them are inferior.

The Chronicles of the Sword mode can be quite dull but you have to play it at least one to get all the items for the custom characters.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 03:22 PM
SC III absolutely slaughtered my Ivy playing. All of the stuff I used to be able to do normally I now have to step into a stance to do (and some of it isn't even around anymore). I can't do anything with Ivy now.
...except Summoned Suffering. That's always good.

Saint George
2007-01-03, 03:28 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Rapheal is completely overpowered in this game? I can make most people scream in frustration without ever really trying. His unblockable legendary weapon makes things even worse. Just my opinion, but I am wondering if anyone agrees with me?

On a side note, my favorites are Cervantes De Leon (Magic Zombie Pirate ftw), Kilik (Fear the whoopass stick), and a new rising champion Ivy (I am still learning).

Deepblue706
2007-01-03, 03:31 PM
Cybren and I play SC II and III sometimes. We have a never-ending rivalry between his Kilik and my Raphael.

Unfortunately, he often has the lead on me, but usually because he's exploiting my only weakness: I kinda lose my ability to play well when I'm angry. And, he makes sure I reach that point as early as possible, through achieving victory soley by ring-outs while I'm trying to deliver my complex maneuvers. Also, he likes to threaten me with wooden swords. Sometimes kitchen knives, if he feels it necessary.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 03:31 PM
No, Raph is not overpowered. As far as I can tell, he's no better than he was, maybe even worse (with the loss of a some of his best pokes).

Here's a good anti-Raph tactic: Astaroth. Use the Wheel o'Fun, as I like to call Poseidon Tide (quarter-circle back + horizontal slash). If you do Poseidon Tide right, it starts with a sidestep; you sidestep their attack and then spin them on your axe and throw'em all at once. Astaroth's Back+Vertical is also good for crushing people who love to dash in, as are simple combos like horizontal, horizontal or horizontal, vertical.

Saint George
2007-01-03, 04:58 PM
Well, your best bet is to just keep Raph at arms length. If you let him get in too close you are pretty much screwed. Astaroth is pretty good at keeping people back with power blows, but if Raph can get in and keep pounding at you it is hard to get blows in through his speed.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-03, 05:06 PM
I'm great at guard impacts, so the in-close game isn't that big a deal for me; plus, people overestimate how slow Astaroth is. His Back+Vertical stomp is fast, and his Forward-Forward-Kick tech-crouches, has ridiculous priority, and can be charged.

Cybren
2007-01-03, 05:11 PM
I play kilik, although I work on my Xianghua for the idealistic notion of every actually competing.
Raph is also highly linear. Side stepping combined with vertical attacks to pop him in the air will kick his ass as he has limited weapons (that is the "what a joke" toe-touch).
I've been practicing doing variable cancel (and by practice I mean i've been staring at my controller drooling, wondering how to do teh kewl moves)

Logic
2007-01-04, 09:44 AM
In SC 2 I was good with Mistsurugi, Kilik & Spawn. I was excellent with Talim and Necrid.
In SC 3, I am still good (no longer great) with Talim, but Siegfried is becoming a new favorite.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-04, 09:59 AM
I usually play as Talim is SCII; I haven't gotten around to getting III yet, although I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Deepblue706
2007-01-04, 03:09 PM
I absolutely hate Astaroth. I mean, I've never played AGAINST HIM, but as him. I don't think he's hard to use - in fact, its that he crushes people regardless of whether or not they block or dodge or...

You just hit back and triangle and you just...smash.

Speed characters are more appealing to me, anyway.

Cybren
2007-01-04, 03:12 PM
Astaroth is dumb. Giant axe? What a loser.
I'd rather play as lizardman.

Bears With Lasers
2007-01-04, 03:34 PM
I absolutely hate Astaroth. I mean, I've never played AGAINST HIM, but as him. I don't think he's hard to use - in fact, its that he crushes people regardless of whether or not they block or dodge or...

You just hit back and triangle and you just...smash.

Speed characters are more appealing to me, anyway.

Speed characters are for people who just want to rush in and mash the same couple of buttons repeatedly, not use timing and tactics!

beholder
2007-01-04, 03:47 PM
who was the ps2's special character?
xbox got spawn
gamecube got link
ps2?

Amiria
2007-01-04, 03:50 PM
Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series. He fights unarmed with some kind of bracers. A fast character with long combos but low reach.

beholder
2007-01-04, 03:54 PM
cheers mate

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-01-04, 10:20 PM
I play as either Link or Yoshimitsu and apparently i am extremely fustrating to paly against (though my friends and i are rather casual players)

Deepblue706
2007-01-04, 10:44 PM
Speed characters are for people who just want to rush in and mash the same couple of buttons repeatedly, not use timing and tactics!

What! Untrue! With speed, you have less damage. And, since all characters can easily recover from an opponent's attack that doesn't send them flying into the air, speed characters must keep moving. If you're playing such a character, and fail to stay on your toes, the stronger foes will just pound you into the ground as you "tickle" them.

With Raphael, I usually think quite a few moves ahead, and need to play out each move with careful precision. With Nightmare, Seigfried, Astaroth....I hit the attack buttons and win just about as many matches.

Cybren
2007-01-04, 10:46 PM
No, they're for people with good reflexes who can use timing and tactics quickly!