PDA

View Full Version : What "Mid-Level" superpower would you want?

AkazilliaDeNaro
2013-10-15, 10:58 AM
Now as the title says what "Mid-level" superpower would you want.
Mid-level being: not godlike *cough*superman*cough* but still not within average human reach. Beastboy, for example.

My power would be: the ability to control the way light reflects off surfaces. (air is technically a surface)

With this i could
1. make rather believable illusions
2. make a magnifying lens,
3. see around corners
4. make a strobe flash in a room
oh and my personal favorite (if i am getting the physics right on this one
5. create a laser by making a ball in which light can enter but not exit which would collect heat(not sure how fast) and then open a tiny hole in the ball for the light to escape.

sooo what about you guys.

Mono Vertigo
2013-10-15, 11:23 AM
I'd be perfectly happy with either invisibility (does that count as mid-level?), or teleportation with the limitation of only being able to go to places I've already visited physically.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-15, 11:30 AM
Mass limited shapeshifting. I could only turn into forms that a) had the same mass and elements as myself and b) only physical possible forms. I could turn into a flying form, but it would look more like the largest of the flying lizards of yore than a dragon or an angel.

warty goblin
2013-10-15, 11:42 AM
The ability to sleep and read books at the same time. Various other superpowers might make my life marginally easier, but aside from being able to turn into a bird of prey at will, few would make it more enjoyable. That's an additional eight to nine hours a day to trawl my way through the mountain of classics, poetry, and genre books that overrun my bookshelves.

Eurus
2013-10-15, 11:43 AM
Omnilinguistics. Especially if, as a mid-level rather than low-level power, it also works on codes, ciphers, computer programming languages... it'd be incredibly nifty and useful.

CumCaritas
2013-10-15, 02:34 PM
Mid-level?

Just one?

I would have to go with some minor telekinesis. Like say up to 75 pounds. Just enough to make my job(and by extension, my back) a heck of a lot better.

chronoreverse
2013-10-15, 02:45 PM
Kage bunshin no jutsu of Naruto fame.

It's not game-breaking but the ability to have two or more of myself at full intelligence and physical ability seems to be wonderfully practical especially since the experiences combine when dispelled.

5. create a laser by making a ball in which light can enter but not exit which would collect heat(not sure how fast) and then open a tiny hole in the ball for the light to escape.

This would just concentrate light but isn't a laser by any means. As the light isn't coherent, it would diffuse a lot quicker than a laser would. A short-ranged laser in effect I suppose. Depending on how you shape the concentration chamber, it would really be more of a (potentially ultra powerful) flashbulb.

golentan
2013-10-15, 02:55 PM
I would have to go with the ability to manipulate the shapes of living beings. And I would abuse the heck out of it. Swimming the seas, flying free like a bird, genderflipping myself for reasons I shouldn't go into on this board. I'd probably limit my manipulation of other creatures to consenting beings, insects, and plants. I'd enjoy designing my own bees and flowers and fruits at a minimum, though, or playing "dressup" with some of my friends.

druid91
2013-10-15, 02:58 PM
I'd want the body of a T-800 terminator.

That looks like I do now, I have no desire to look like Arnold, no offense.

Traab
2013-10-15, 03:08 PM
The power of Cypher

Cypher is a mutant who possesses a superhuman intuitive facility for translating languages, spoken or written, human or alien in origin. His superhuman skill is extended to his great facility in deciphering codes and computer languages, and he is also able to read inflection and body language which allows him to understand the vast subtext of a conversation. Rather than working the problem out step by step in his conscious mind, he instead subconsciously solves the problem. Hence, he can reach the correct solution by means that appear to be leaps of logic, and he himself may not be consciously aware of the entire process by which he reaches the right answer.[volume & issue needed]

Since his resurrection by Selene's use of a modified techno-organic virus, Cypher's powers have evolved to the point where he can read all aspects of "language." He is able to read his opponents' body language and the patterns of their combat moves in order to counter the attacks of several opponents attacking him at once. By considering the exercise of combat skills to be a form of language, he proved a match for the entire New Mutant team.[22] He is able to "read" architectural structure and integrity in order to ascertain a building's weaknesses.[21] He also appears capable of "speaking" binary; giving verbal commands in machine code that can deactivate electronic devices.[volume & issue needed]

Cypher is an expert in translating and designing computer software. He took university level courses in languages and computer science. He can hack some of the most protected computers.[volume & issue needed]

Kajhera
2013-10-15, 03:08 PM
I think ... the ability to transform raw material into finished goods I understand how to make in a matter of seconds, as per Fabricate ... would be very interesting to have.

Forrestfire
2013-10-15, 03:11 PM
The ability to make art end up how I want it to, preferably with an open-ended definition of "art" (like... painting, sculpting, and the like are generally considered art, but then it'd be neat to have stuff like swordfighting and the martial arts).

Because while I'm alright at some things artistic, it'd be amazing to get the things I work on to just... fit my mental image. And being able to do martial arts and cooking and other neat things without having to spend my life learning them would be neat.

thompur
2013-10-15, 03:17 PM
Like the Task Master: Photographic reflexes. I see someone do something, I instantly and permanently learn it. The I could play any musical instrument!

Topus
2013-10-15, 03:21 PM
I don't know if it counts as mid-level, but I'd go for Mental Manipulation, including the ability of telepathy, mind reading, instill ideas or illusions, subconscious insinuation, and so on. And, no, it's not necessarily an evil power.

Callin
2013-10-15, 03:30 PM
The ability to cast low-mid level (aka 0-4th level) spells. As a Wizard (and hopefully a very full spellbook lol).

Temotei
2013-10-15, 04:01 PM
Healing, both physical and mental.

Topus
2013-10-15, 04:03 PM
Omnilinguistics. Especially if, as a mid-level rather than low-level power, it also works on codes, ciphers, computer programming languages... it'd be incredibly nifty and useful.
I endorse this power, it will be my second choice if mental manipulation weren't feasible.

Mx.Silver
2013-10-15, 04:12 PM
The ability to sleep and read books at the same time.
Why not just no longer need to sleep at all? That gives you all the advantages plus more flexibility. As far as minor powers go it's one of the more versatile ones.

warty goblin
2013-10-15, 05:15 PM
Why not just no longer need to sleep at all? That gives you all the advantages plus more flexibility. As far as minor powers go it's one of the more versatile ones.

I like sleeping. Best eight hours of the day.

Gamerlord
2013-10-15, 05:25 PM
Mind Control. If that's too powerful, then an advanced healing factor.

Heliomance
2013-10-15, 06:43 PM
Shapeshifting, definitely. I don't even care how strict the limitations are on it as long as I can genderswap.

Beacon of Chaos
2013-10-15, 06:48 PM
Some kind of super learning ability. Naturally pick up knowledge and skills very easily. Learn a new language? Listen to it for a day and now I'm fluent. Learn an instrument? Pick it up and mess about with it for a while and suddenly I'm an expert. Drawing? Oh gods what I wouldn't give to learn that. Not to mention I could have any job I wanted just by reading a text book or two.

I would have to go with the ability to manipulate the shapes of living beings. And I would abuse the heck out of it. Swimming the seas, flying free like a bird, genderflipping myself for reasons I shouldn't go into on this board. I'd probably limit my manipulation of other creatures to consenting beings, insects, and plants. I'd enjoy designing my own bees and flowers and fruits at a minimum, though, or playing "dressup" with some of my friends.
This would be pretty sweet, I must say. This would be a very close second for me.

Teleportation would be 3rd.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-15, 06:50 PM
Shapeshifting, definitely. I don't even care how strict the limitations are on it as long as I can genderswap.
Yay, gender bender buddy!:smallbiggrin:

gurgleflep
2013-10-15, 07:59 PM
Would being "amphibious" be a superpower? If yeah, I'd want that. Well, that or the ability to see through all liquids as though it wasn't even there (able to turn it off/on at will).

If that isn't a superpower, I'd go with "The wallet of Bruce Wayne/Tony Stark" :smalltongue: Not a "superpower," but with that I could get quite a few gidgets, gadgets, gizmos, whatzits, whozits, doo-dads, thingamajigs, and whatchamacallits, and hootyfruits which are basically the same thing as any power I want :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2013-10-15, 08:04 PM
Teleportation. I have many friends who live far away, and I would like to visit them.

Lord Raziere
2013-10-15, 08:19 PM
….uuumm…

would the power of mad science count as long as the mad science couldn't do anything too big and world-changey?

Salbazier
2013-10-15, 08:34 PM
Superspeed maybe. That or computer brain, complete with wireless internet connection.

AtlanteanTroll
2013-10-15, 11:22 PM
Shapeshifting. Don't care about gender though, as long as I can turn into something else. Even if it were only one or two definite forms.

noparlpf
2013-10-16, 08:03 AM
I'd be perfectly happy with either invisibility (does that count as mid-level?), or teleportation with the limitation of only being able to go to places I've already visited physically.

Heck, I'd take teleportation within my field of vision, or with a limit like maybe a kilometer. Wouldn't want to accidentally teleport into a star in the night sky, right? :smalltongue: A weight limit of a few hundred kilos should probably also limit it sufficiently.

So teleportation (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Musujime_Awaki), or some form of telekinesis or electrokinesis (http://toarumajutsunoindex.wikia.com/wiki/Misaka_Mikoto).

TheEmerged
2013-10-16, 08:34 AM
Heh. And here I was worried mine wouldn't count as mid-level. I've seen this discussion done on boards for superheroic RPG's where you were restricted to a certain number of points and such. Here's the power I've given as an answer for quite some time.

Recordable Retrocognition.
The ability to sense the past in such a way it can be recorded, within the limits of the recording technology.

HERO
Clairsentience for Sight & Sound sense groups, with Retrocognition (50pt base). Retrocognition only (-1 limitation), Obvious Accessible Focus of Opportunity (the camera/recording equipment, which doesn't have to be any particular one, -1/2 limitation), Time Modifier (-1/2 limitation), limited by the capabilities of the recording device, including its line of sight (-1/2 limitation). 14 character points.

+16 Telescopic with the above (enough to go back 1 century without penalty), 16 character points.

So a digital camera could do sound & sight for example, or an old camera could do sight, and so forth. The physical range would be limited by the range of the recording device, quality levels, line-of-sight, and so forth.

Am I going to take over the world with this power? Nope. Would it make my life easier? Heck, I'd probably be dead within a month.

But man oh man, the mysteries I could solve and the history I could uncover in that month would be worth it...

Thufir
2013-10-16, 08:48 AM
Heck, I'd take teleportation within my field of vision, or with a limit like maybe a kilometer. Wouldn't want to accidentally teleport into a star in the night sky, right? :smalltongue: A weight limit of a few hundred kilos should probably also limit it sufficiently.

Given that teleportation is instantaneous, you could just chain them together and still get places really quickly, so that'd probably still work reasonably for me.

noparlpf
2013-10-16, 09:06 AM
Given that teleportation is instantaneous, you could just chain them together and still get places really quickly, so that'd probably still work reasonably for me.

Yeah, Shirai Kuroko from Toaru tends to do that.

Raimun
2013-10-16, 09:45 AM
I'd want the video game abstraction power.

Basically the power to have all the abilities a video character has. One that doesn't have earth shattering power, mind you, as per the rules of this thread.

I would also have all the little things no one seems to notice and take for granted. They are, in fact, powerful abilities, even if they are not even identified as abilities. I would be happy with just them, if I could have every one of them that I can think of:

I could take several deadly hits and still be alive.

Only other people would have vital body parts to exploit, I wouldn't.

I could run and leap forever, without even sweating.

I wouldn't need to eat or drink but if I do, I instantly heal some damage I have taken to my body.

Taking damage doesn't hinder me in any way, apart from being closer to death. No limping, no blood loss, etc.

Somehow, everything would work for me in subtle ways. For example, if I want to hide from someone, at 10-25 meters they would not be exactly sure if there really is someone there. At 25+ meters they would not be able see me.

People can't hear or ignore the noice my foot steps make.

If there's something I need to lift, I will be able to do it. If I can't lift it, there's no need to.

I would find useful equipment, lying on the ground, just before I would need it.

I could carry a lot of stuff, without them being visible, or hindering me with their bulk or weight.

I could change my looks almost instantly, for example growing a full beard in a matter of seconds, after discarding it so I could eat soup more comfortably.

I could change my clothes in a matter of seconds. Somehow, my clothes would be immune to damage, even if I take a hit from a rocket launcher (which I will survive).

World would work in such a way I could always defeat hundreds of people in combat, if I somewhat tried. This is mostly because of all the other abilities but also because I'm the only one showing any inititiave and they would never attack me with groups of greater than about 5 or 10.

Cutscenes. Both a gift and a curse. Things either work 100% for me or against me and there's nothing anyone can do... but I still can't die because of that.

Save and Load. I would still have all my memories, no matter how many times I loaded a saved state.

I'm pretty sure there are more.

ItWasFutile
2013-10-16, 10:30 AM
...I'm pretty sure there are more.
You would never run out of bullets, just grenades.

Does me being The Punisher count? Just being a really pissed off murder hobo with an obscene number of firearms?

If not, I guess I would go with being a wizard of unimaginable power. You know, at least 6th level.

The_Final_Stand
2013-10-16, 10:42 AM
I'd like some form of teleportation, perhaps. Maybe becoming an omniglot instead. Flight, perhaps. I'm not sure. All these minor, mobility based powers strike me as very useful in day to day life.

Tylorious
2013-10-16, 11:56 AM
I would like the superhuman power of not being bored with my job.

Legendxp
2013-10-16, 12:17 PM
The ability to see with my eyes closed. (good bye eye-strain!) With enhanced reflexes and knowledge of multiple martial arts.

noparlpf
2013-10-16, 12:18 PM
The ability to see with my eyes closed. (good bye eye-strain!) With enhanced reflexes and knowledge of multiple martial arts.

You could still strain your eyes. The muscles that move and focus the eye aren't in the eyelid.

OverdrivePrime
2013-10-16, 03:47 PM

The power of Cypher

Absolutely my first choice. Being able to understand any communication I'm exposed to would confer amazing advantages in just about every aspect of life, from the bedroom to the boardroom to the middle of a forest.

Secondly would be the rather boring but fairly powerful - a gradual day/day increase in cognitive ability of 1%.

My third choice would be "projected regeneration" - basically being able to slowly heal objects and living things back to their 'perfect' condition, kind of like being able to cast Make Whole (http://dndtools.eu/spells/players-handbook-v35--6/make-whole--2840/) and Vigor (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-divine--56/vigor--665/)at will.

Shyftir
2013-10-16, 04:01 PM
Cure Cancer: I'd sell my services for just enough that I can afford a house and a few things I enjoy, but I'd mostly help people. Starting with a certain loved one.

Silver Swift
2013-10-16, 04:46 PM
If immortality is of the table and there are no scary men in black suits coming to dissect me to find out how I do it then flight, definitely. Specifically the ability to generate limited but substantial reactionless force on any part (or all) of my body. Pushing downward at 9.81 * my body mass to counter gravity and pushing backwards for flight.

If we're allowed some axillary powers then I'd like the ability to stave off radiation and low grade forcefield shielding so I could fly into space. (The lack of oxygen is easily solved and I can already solve the pressure issue by pushing my own skin inward).

MethosH
2013-10-16, 10:41 PM
Kage bunshin no jutsu of Naruto fame.

It's not game-breaking but the ability to have two or more of myself at full intelligence and physical ability seems to be wonderfully practical especially since the experiences combine when dispelled.

Wow.. Not sure if Kage Bunshin no Jutsu is really mid-level.. I mean.. If you can keep like 3 bunshins for a long period of time, and since the bunshins actually obey you and are not a simply copy of your personality... That would solve all procrastination problems ever. You would be able to learn anything without much effort, except the effort of keeping the bunshins up and running. :smalltongue:

If you play your cards write with this one you can even build a company and eventually become very rich, since you have a team of people you can trust and can work almost 12/7

Silver Swift
2013-10-17, 05:32 AM
Wow.. Not sure if Kage Bunshin no Jutsu is really mid-level.. I mean.. If you can keep like 3 bunshins for a long period of time, and since the bunshins actually obey you and are not a simply copy of your personality... That would solve all procrastination problems ever. You would be able to learn anything without much effort, except the effort of keeping the bunshins up and running. :smalltongue:

If you play your cards write with this one you can even build a company and eventually become very rich, since you have a team of people you can trust and can work almost 12/7

If I recall correctly you can typically only use one bunshin at a time. Because you have to share your chakra between yourself and that bunshin neither of you have enough left to make another one. Naruto is the exception because he has such an enormous crapton of chakra available.

Also I'm not sure bunshins actually obey your commands as much as they just have the same desires as you and they don't mind getting killed because they know they just merge back into the original (yeah, that's not an adequate explanation, but that's what the show presents).

But yeah, no way that is on par with things like being able to read while asleep.

But man oh man, the mysteries I could solve and the history I could uncover in that month would be worth it...

Someone has been reading Legion :smallsmile:

dethkruzer
2013-10-17, 06:12 AM
Well, assuming certain secondary super powers were in effect (ie. minor powers that prevent your main powers from insta-gibbing you), it would have to be the ability to initiate and control small-scale nuclear fusion.

If that's too much... I'd imagine the limited ability to control density.

Killer Angel
2013-10-17, 06:20 AM
Omnilinguistic and healing were already mentioned.
mmm... Foresight (limited to one day in the future)?

JustSomeGuy
2013-10-17, 09:11 AM
The ability to perform various tasks in montage form (80's powerock preferably).

If not then mid-level strength, say the ability to deadlift 750lbs DOH hooked or oly press 315lbs. I suppose limited healing could do this too, but that would require extra effort!

Finlam
2013-10-17, 11:12 AM
Omnilinguistic and healing were already mentioned.
mmm... Foresight (limited to one day in the future)?

Absolutely. I would even settle for the power from that Nicholas Cage movie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435705/). One weekend in Vegas and I'd be super rich and banned from Vegas.

chronoreverse
2013-10-17, 11:19 AM
If I recall correctly you can typically only use one bunshin at a time.

But yeah, no way that is on par with things like being able to read while asleep.
That's only because we already know how to abuse the system.

Besides, the other examples I'm seeing here are stuff like teleportation, mind control, shapeshifting, SAVE/LOAD. Only a few would be "mid-level" in practice.

Lorsa
2013-10-17, 11:23 AM
Does "not dying of age or disease" count as a mid-level superpower? Because that's what I'd like to have...

Silver Swift
2013-10-17, 04:09 PM
Does "not dying of age or disease" count as a mid-level superpower? Because that's what I'd like to have...

That's just begging for getting screwed over literal genie style. Not dying is not the same as not being affected by, so you can still get Alzheimers or any number of other extremely nasty non-lethal diseases. Similarly, if the general wear and tear on your body still builds up getting really old may not be all that beneficial a power.

As for true agelessness, I don't think that qualifies as mid level.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-17, 04:13 PM
Given that almost every human language (and English in particular) is by nature ambiguous, with words having multiple meanings, any literal genie could screw one over if they didn't like your wish.

Maelstrom
2013-10-17, 04:25 PM
That's just begging for getting screwed over literal genie style. Not dying is not the same as not being affected by, so you can still get Alzheimers or any number of other extremely nasty non-lethal diseases. Similarly, if the general wear and tear on your body still builds up getting really old may not be all that beneficial a power.

Given that almost every human language (and English in particular) is by nature ambiguous, with words having multiple meanings, any literal genie could screw one over if they didn't like your wish.

This is the Superpower thread... the "Genie/Wishes thread" is over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309097) ;)

As for my superpower - Power Mimicry/Replication, with limits (only one at a time, for so long, and only able to replicate up to other "mid-level" powers, etc...)

Silver Swift
2013-10-17, 04:31 PM

True, (though that has less to do with ambiguity of language, which isn't as much of a problem as most people seem to think it is, and more with the amount of stuff that is implied in any given sentence), but the holes in that formulation are so big that it would go wrong even with just a moderately literal genie.

Also that particular one has gone wrong so often in fiction that I'd be more surprised if it turned out right.

As for my superpower - Power Mimicry/Replication, with limits (only one at a time, for so long, and only able to replicate up to other "mid-level" powers, etc...)

Are we assuming other superpowered people in the world?

Ravens_cry
2013-10-17, 09:12 PM
Because the silliest things inspire me, here is how I would present myself if I was a superhero with the power I chose. Or at least my default form anyway, with a small demonstration of my ability. . .

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7127/a7y.gif

Kajhera
2013-10-17, 09:35 PM
True, (though that has less to do with ambiguity of language, which isn't as much of a problem as most people seem to think it is, and more with the amount of stuff that is implied in any given sentence), but the holes in that formulation are so big that it would go wrong even with just a moderately literal genie.

Also that particular one has gone wrong so often in fiction that I'd be more surprised if it turned out right.

See: Tithonus, who got that fate despite it being his lover who tried to grant him immortality. That said, just change it to 'not experiencing the deleterious effects of' and should be golden.

Force
2013-10-17, 09:51 PM
Panacea's power from Worm, which is basically touch-range biological manipulation. Balanced out by the fact that other than healing, you have to really, really know what you're doing to make beneficial manipulations and usually it screws up anything complex, like changing up human beings.

Jigürd
2013-10-18, 05:10 AM
I'm guessing Dr. Manhattan's powers count as godlike?

Teleportation limited by what I can see (might need a distance limit too), or flight, and immunity to things that might kill a normal person while flying (such as air resistance, cold, thin air)

Killer Angel
2013-10-18, 05:55 AM
I'm guessing Dr. Manhattan's powers count as godlike?

Absolutely yes

Teleportation limited by what I can see (might need a distance limit too), or flight, and immunity to things that might kill a normal person while flying (such as air resistance, cold, thin air)

Why you people are fixed with Flying? You must optimize... pick shapechange, so you'll have fly and all the other goodies! :smalltongue:

Lorsa
2013-10-18, 07:46 AM

Why not though? It certainly doesn't turn you into a God. You'll just live longer?

Silver Swift
2013-10-18, 08:10 AM
Why not though? It certainly doesn't turn you into a God. You'll just live longer?

Meh, mid-level is an ill defined power level, I would peg things like messages only telepathy, low grade teleportation, omnilinguistics and stuff like that at mid-level. Low level being only for the really useless or extremely situational powers.

Agelessness is certainly not Dr. Manhattan levels of power, but it is also certainly not at the same level as (non-ridiculous) omnilinguistics. You have an infinite amount of time to learn new stuff, lay down connections and build up financial power. Play your cards right and that sort of thing can make you a mayor player in world politics. Also, on a more recreational level, you get to see the future, you have time to meet all the interesting people on this planet, you can travel all over this world and, eventually, others!

Why you people are fixed with Flying? You must optimize... pick shapechange, so you'll have fly and all the other goodies! :smalltongue:

Yeah, but flying in your own body just sounds so much more pleasant than flying in some other body. Plus, birds have to work hard to stay in the air, magic flight is probably a lot less effort.

Lorsa
2013-10-18, 08:40 AM
Meh, mid-level is an ill defined power level, I would peg things like messages only telepathy, low grade teleportation, omnilinguistics and stuff like that at mid-level. Low level being only for the really useless or extremely situational powers.

Agelessness is certainly not Dr. Manhattan levels of power, but it is also certainly not at the same level as (non-ridiculous) omnilinguistics. You have an infinite amount of time to learn new stuff, lay down connections and build up financial power. Play your cards right and that sort of thing can make you a mayor player in world politics. Also, on a more recreational level, you get to see the future, you have time to meet all the interesting people on this planet, you can travel all over this world and, eventually, others!

So it's defined not by how powerful it is in itself but its potential usefulness seen over an infinite timespan? Because omnilinguistics is extremely useful in short-term (assuming it also applies to now dead languages) and both teleportation and telepathy would make you rich much faster than agelessness.

Silver Swift
2013-10-18, 08:52 AM
So it's defined not by how powerful it is in itself but its potential usefulness seen over an infinite timespan? Because omnilinguistics is extremely useful in short-term (assuming it also applies to now dead languages) and both teleportation and telepathy would make you rich much faster than agelessness.

Fair point I suppose, although I wasn't really talking about money so much as power. Being centuries old is much likelier to get you into a position of power than being able to instantly travel short distances or send messages undetected (note that I would classify mind reading and mind control as way above mid-level). In the end I think it is mostly an intuitive thing, agelessness just seems more powerful than teleportation or telepathy to me.

This is just my interpretation though, please feel free to disregard it completely :smallsmile:

Curaced
2013-10-19, 04:31 AM
Hmmm... Having an absolutely perfect (and limitless) memory. Also, as a low-level power, heterodyning would be cool.

Tvtyrant
2013-10-19, 10:03 PM
Ability to instinctively design objects.

Edit: So instead of a bunch of scientists making a spaceship, there is me with a shop full of tools.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-10-20, 01:41 AM
I have a weird one I always liked: Maligned welfare absorption. I could take any current and future illness or injury for whomever I touched. I'd start with friends and family, and then martyr myself in a big event.

Topus
2013-10-20, 06:29 AM
I have a weird one I always liked: Maligned welfare absorption. I could take any current and future illness or injury for whomever I touched. I'd start with friends and family, and then martyr myself in a big event.
Will you also take the suffering, thus bearing the pain, or something like absorb and dissolve? The "martyr" word makes me think you will be sensitive to the pain, so i recommend to ease your sacrifice with the other two wishes or to refine the description of your first one :smallwink:
You don't need to sacrifice yourself when you have other possibilities to reach your goal :)

endoperez
2013-10-20, 08:03 AM

Except for the "future" part, this came up in the web novel Worm. Which is 12 kinds of awesome and starts with the premise of seeing how far mid-level superpowers could take you if you had to push your luck and get inventive.

The cape in question, Scapegoat, can heal injuries of other people by temporarily taking them onto himself. After the injuries have been transferred, X amount of time must pass until the healing is permanent, and Scapegoat himself recovers back to full health.

I'd pick the power of spider-whisperer. Basically, I could make spiders weave spiderweb, I could tell spiders to say in a specific area, or to go to a specific area, but I wouldn't have much more control over them.
That should make me the nr 1 source of mass-produced spiderweb, irreplaceable for the unforeseen future, and filthy rich, without making me too obviously super or too dangerous to leave alive.

runhidesurvive
2013-10-20, 09:38 AM
Eh, If I had to choose it would be psychometry. If I steal someones credit card I can easily look back to see what their PIN is, learn to use most machinery in a short time, get the general gist of what a book is about. Also if I could use it to read people I could be a master interrogator, looking back on their past and making them feel guilty to make them confess to their crime. Not to mention finding out peoples secrets.

Gnomish Wanderer
2013-10-20, 11:39 AM
Will you also take the suffering, thus bearing the pain, or something like absorb and dissolve? The "martyr" word makes me think you will be sensitive to the pain, so i recommend to ease your sacrifice with the other two wishes or to refine the description of your first one :smallwink:
You don't need to sacrifice yourself when you have other possibilities to reach your goal :)I think the point is the sacrifice. Without it seems less meaningful.

Ravens_cry
2013-10-20, 01:37 PM
I think the point is the sacrifice. Without it seems less meaningful.
Ah, but what if your kith and kin need you later? The trouble with being a martyr is you are not around the next time trouble strikes.

Proud Tortoise
2013-10-20, 02:27 PM
I would want to know pymary (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Pymary). Does that count?

Ravens_cry
2013-10-20, 02:54 PM
I would want to know pymary (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/world/index.php/Pymary). Does that count?
I would call that more than mid-level, though it's certainly a cool idea.

enderlord99
2013-10-20, 03:21 PM
I'm going to agree with Eurus and Traab.

Topus
2013-10-20, 04:04 PM
I think the point is the sacrifice. Without it seems less meaningful.

Though i understand what's your point, I disagree on the meaningfulness.
I think that the true essence of sacrifice is to take it if it's the only way to fulfill your purpose. But if you willingly choose it, even if it's not necessary to reach your goal, then it's more like you want to have the "martyr" label for itself.

Velaryon
2013-10-22, 12:23 AM
There are all kinds of mid-level superpowers I would be happy to have, including many that others have named in this topic so far.

But right now if I could choose, I would like to have the ability to influence people's emotions by increasing or decreasing individual feelings. Something like Soothing and Rioting from the Mistborn series.

If that's too much on its own, then it could be tied in to my own emotions either directly or inversely - either I dampen someone's emotion and my own at the same time, or what I take from others I feel myself.

I could see using this to help mitigate someone's sadness, depression, or anger problems, or to boost feelings of happiness, love, and joy. And that's what I'd mostly use it for, to make life a little more pleasant for myself and the people around me.

If I wanted to use it for personal gain (and at some point I probably would), then I could use it to influence someone's positive feelings toward me to get a discount on something I wanted to buy, or I could sell my services to law enforcement where I'm sure the ability would come in handy during interrogations.

With some practice I could probably use it to get an advantage in poker games, increasing an opponent's nervousness to influence them to fold or increasing their boldness in hopes of getting them to bluff when I have a good hand.

I could see it actually being a very useful power, though it would take some practice to get good with it and a high degree of subtlety to use it well.