PDA

View Full Version : D&D props

night_kitty_911
2013-10-15, 11:00 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used fantasy coins as props in game. I have been considering giving each of my players a bag that has the same amount of gold that they do in an attempt to bring in a cool new role playing experience. However, I am wondering if this type of idea really works. It is also important to note that the whole group is fairly experienced so we do not have to deal with a bunch of issues that could make this extra difficult. If anyone has done this or has tips please let me know.

lytokk
2013-10-15, 01:48 PM
I think some props can enhance the role playing experience. Mood lighting and playing by candles are visual props when exploring a dungeon. I often have music selected for different situations the party is in. My only recommendation is don't use any props which can be used as a weapon. The foam sword incident should never be repeated.

Magesmiley
2013-10-15, 03:25 PM
I haven't used coins. The concern I always had was that it would break down pretty quick as you progressed to higher levels and the number of coins would become too great.

I have used the cards that Paizo puts out for magic items though, and my players liked those. Cards which have pictures of jewels might be an interesting twist on this.

inexorabletruth
2013-10-15, 04:38 PM
Oh props are fun! And if you have a lot of fantasy coins, it can be a real blast! But coins get pricey, and sometimes managing them can be a pain, especially when the treasure gets big at higher levels. What are you going to do when the heroes defeat the dragon and want to bring in the wheelbarrows? :smallamused:

However, if you're bent on doing the material props, consider hitting up the dollar general for $1 swords, bottles and knick-nacks, and your local craft store for treasure boxes. Bam! Treasure chests!! I got this once for beating the BBEG and went bananas.