PDA

View Full Version : Quick Character Generation

Erock
2013-10-15, 01:57 PM
When at the table and in need of an NPC, how do you handle feats, skills, etc.? I can create the characters on the fly, but have not yet mastered 3.P rules enough to just fake all the rules. I use an iPad as opposed to a laptop at the table so character generators aren't an option.

lytokk
2013-10-15, 02:01 PM
I found an NPC generator app for my iphone, there may be one for the ipad. it was free but I can't remember the name.

Keneth
2013-10-15, 02:02 PM
I can pretty much wing it with about 90% precision.

It takes me about an hour for a complete stat block though.

BWR
2013-10-15, 02:16 PM
I usually use the "NPC Codex" for Pathfinder. You can find it on the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/).
It has just about everything you could possibly need for emergency NPCs.

Erock
2013-10-15, 02:25 PM
I found an NPC generator app for my iphone, there may be one for the ipad. it was free but I can't remember the name.

I'll see if I can find it, that would be a great help/.

I usually use the "NPC Codex" for Pathfinder. You can find it on the PRD (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/).
It has just about everything you could possibly need for emergency NPCs.

How long does generation usually take with the codex?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the wrong thing. Thanks, that'll help quite a bit.

Maginomicon
2013-10-15, 03:09 PM
The 3.5 DMG page 198 has a table for determining HP using the two average roll values of each HD type. It's just as useful for 3.P and thus what you're looking for, as it simplifies character generation.

In a nutshell, assuming the same HD type is used for all levels:

The first HD gets the maximum value of the HD type.
Add [maximum value of the HD type +1]*[# of remaining HD /2]
If the number of remaining HD was an odd number (meaning the total HD was an even number), add the average of the HD type rounded down.
Add [total HD * CON_mod].

Simple and quick, and there's no HP rolling.

For example, an ECL 10 fighter with 16 CON uses a d10 and +30 HP from the CON_mod.

The first HD is maximized (10).
There are 9 remaining HD. The maximum value of a d10 is 10, plus 1 is 11, so add 11*[9 HD /2] (44).
The number of remaining HD was an odd number, so add 5.5 rounded down (5).
Add the HP from the CON_mod (30). 10+44+5+30=89

This is also how an average monster's HP is calculated (although they don't maximize their first HD's HP and they round up the odd HD from the total instead of rounding down the even HD from the remaining). For example, an average hill giant (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/humanoids/giants/giant-true/giant-hill) has 10d8+40=85 HP. The maximum value of a d8 is 8, plus 1 is 9. 9*[10 HD /2]=45. 45+40=85.

{table=head] Hit Die | d4 | d6 | d8 | d10 | d12
Hit points at even level (2nd, 4th, etc.) | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |
Hit points at odd level (3rd, 5th, etc.) | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 |
[/table]

So far as equipment, the 3.5 Magic Item Compendium describes "Item Levels" starting on page 226. These are similar in concept to 4e Item Levels and are extremely useful for quickly outfitting PCs and NPCs, as it gives tables for how many items of each Item Level a PC or NPC should have on their person (with the remaining expenses being in pure cash or minor gear on their person). Item Levels are, again, just as useful in 3.P because the spirit of what they do and the method for how they do it translates very easily to 3.P.

For example, a PC at ECL 5 generally would have two 5th-level items, two 4th-level items, two 3rd-level items, two 2nd-level items, and two 1st-level items.

For another example, an NPC at ECL 5 generally would have a 5th-level item, a 4th-level item, and a 3rd-level item.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-10-15, 03:13 PM
The PHB 2 has tables for pretty much everything for quite a lot of base classes. Everything from ability score distributions to equipment to multiple options for feat choices are included.