PDA

View Full Version : Noob campaign help

Drake2009
2013-10-15, 04:22 PM
So i am starting a campaign with 4-5 noobs with a module. worse than that its 2 groups with 4-5 people in each. Im dming one and a friend is dming the other. were doing it at the same time though and id like some advice.. I ask for advice a lot on this forum...and i get it a lot. Any tips for me?

Callin
2013-10-15, 04:36 PM
Read the Module multiple times before running it. Check strategies and encounter layouts and get a good feel for the way it flows. Notable NPC's, be sure to read them and get to know em a tad. All of that will help at the table and not slow down gameplay.

Premade characters or did the noobs build their own? Make sure they did them correctly and are not running at a huge power gap where someone is going to VASTLY outshine someone else.

When I try to bring in new people to a game I run a very short 3ish room dungeon to get them acquainted with their characters and the rules. I try to have Social Encounters, Traps (if thats their thing), Magic and Melee Combat, and maybe an Environment hindrance (darkness, water, fog, ect).

That way they are familiar with the basic rules and also wont slow down gameplay.

Suggest they use flash cards with their spells or special tricks on em. With ALL of the info on em, DC's, Targets, and Effects.

Drake2009
2013-10-15, 05:33 PM
Awesome help! i need to read it a bit more and the whole test dungeon is awesome! We made characters last time and they are pretty good ( had to ban mages cause we already have 2 sorcerers... freakin noobs wanted to all be them!)

Dawgmoah
2013-10-17, 11:51 AM
So i am starting a campaign with 4-5 noobs with a module. worse than that its 2 groups with 4-5 people in each. Im dming one and a friend is dming the other. were doing it at the same time though and id like some advice.. I ask for advice a lot on this forum...and i get it a lot. Any tips for me?

Always make a few minor or a major change in any premade module. The noobs can read the same module you're reading out of...

Change a race to another equal race; throw in some extra detail that can distract that they are in room 5 with the secret door to room 7.

Have some random encounters ready.