PDA

View Full Version : I've got a great character concept.

AmoDman
2007-01-02, 03:22 PM
Alright guys, tell me what you think. A horrible pair of humans raise an unsuspecting orphan in a mundane country primarily concerned with the welfare of it's shingle trade. Luckily, however, a large (psionic?) half-giant rescues the young boy and reveals to him that he is a sorcerer! Magic by blood lineage and all that. Despite this fact, though, the boy realizes the Sorcerer's spell learned limitations leave something to be desired, and attends a school for Wizards, wherein he has several zany adventures solving multiple hair-brained mysteries at the behest of the troublesome Dark Lord, a despicable Liche the entire community which runs the school fears.

Eventually, however, an underling of the Liche murders this boy's mentor, the aged headmaster of the school he attends, and he swears vengeance upon this Liche, who also actually murdered his parents and was prophecied by a lunatic cleric to be undone by the boy. The character will start around 7th level, for no particular reason, having gained those levels at the school. I think he'll have to take the Leadership feat to have a couple cohorts from the school. He obviously wouldn't have many treasures gained by adventuring, but I'd at least like him to have an invisibility cloak inherited from his dead parents. He will also have a tendency to use pseudo-Latin phrases as the vocal components for various spells, seeing as how the spell descriptions aren't exactly specific. It's something he learned at his Wizarding school.

I'm not sure what type of party this character would fit into yet. Thoughts?

pestilenceawaits
2007-01-02, 03:28 PM
oh man (slaps forehead):)

Captain van der Decken
2007-01-02, 03:30 PM
:wink:
Nice one.

Zincorium
2007-01-02, 03:31 PM

As the DM, I'd hit him with a lightning bolt to match the scar.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-01-02, 03:31 PM
Sounds like a great idea for a book, Got a name?

AmoDman
2007-01-02, 03:36 PM

As the DM, I'd hit him with a lightning bolt to match the scar.

Oh wow, you must be psychic. I hadn't even mentioned the scar yet! Right on his forehead, it is. Oh yes, he's got a name too. Larry Earthenwaremaker, because he's directly descended from a line of Sorcerers (who also chose to be Wizards), but they took their surname so as to throw off the magic hating populace of said country from their true class professions.

ampcptlogic
2007-01-02, 03:52 PM
I'm not sure what type of party this character would fit into yet. Thoughts?

Um, I would say the party needs meatshields. And a healmonkey. The characters likely get hurt a lot and don't seem to know even one healing spell.

Wouldn't he also need an arcane focus for every spell he casts, Eschew Materials, and no somatic components, generally speaking?

The_Werebear
2007-01-02, 03:59 PM
I'm not sure if I should chuckle or bite you.

:smalleek::smallconfused::smallfurious::smallbiggr in::smallwink:

vanyell
2007-01-02, 04:11 PM
to be very honest, I always thought the wizards from that book are actually psudo-warlocks

think about it. they can cast a little crappy magic, as much as they want, limitless

AmoDman
2007-01-02, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure if I should chuckle or bite you.

:smalleek::smallconfused::smallfurious::smallbiggr in::smallwink:

Don't bite me. That would be awkward. I don't know if you're a werewolf. Which reminds me of a funny incident that Larry Earthenwaremaker had at school...

Pegasos989
2007-01-02, 04:25 PM
Um, I would say the party needs meatshields. And a healmonkey. The characters likely get hurt a lot and don't seem to know even one healing spell.

Wouldn't he also need an arcane focus for every spell he casts, Eschew Materials, and no somatic components, generally speaking?

Eschew materials, sure. However, Somatic components seem to fit the image I am having of the character in my head. Maybe some "traditional" idea of channeling magic by waving a magical wand...

Thomas
2007-01-02, 04:37 PM
A little crappy what?

Complete domination, indefinite torture, death, invisibility, flight, teleportation, summoning/calling, paralysis, telekinesis, healing, gruesomely slicing people open...

What's crappy, again?

RandomNPC
2007-01-02, 05:04 PM
everything the teachers should be teaching is crappy, everything he learns on his own is actually usefull, minor summoning, flight, and teleportation are the only things on that list that are taught to everyone in class...

Skyserpent
2007-01-02, 06:18 PM
OMG this is teh BEST charicter evaar ZOMG !!1!11! I M Going 2 go & Tell ALL MY FRENDZ about this!!!!1!1!!1! u r l337!

:smallwink:

OzymandiasVolt
2007-01-02, 06:30 PM
*snrk* You are clearly a master of originality. I salute you. :smallwink:

knewsom
2007-01-02, 06:34 PM
Nice. For about 3 seconds, I thought you were serious. Well played.

Diggorian
2007-01-02, 06:40 PM
Umm ... who is Harry Potter, alex?

Deathcow
2007-01-02, 06:52 PM
...I actually didn't get the reference until other people started commenting on it.

Slap me, please.

bosssmiley
2007-01-02, 10:15 PM
You had me 'til the 1st exclamation mark OP, after that... :smallsigh:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-03, 12:26 AM
...I actually didn't get the reference until other people started commenting on it.

Slap me, please.
:slap:

And all or most of the spells have the somatic component of waving a wand about in some particular fashion.

The New Bruceski
2007-01-03, 02:16 AM
So for the party, how about you give them all the same backstory? Makes plot hooks easier.

So they're all from the school... how about the healer's the love interest. I've got this greatoriginal idea! He decided to go after the lich and pushes her away, not wanting to risk her live. She secretly follows after him though, and at some point saves him andgets to tag along as an official party member.

For some meatshields, how about a pair of brothers. Physical types for a wizard's school, but that type of school isn't big on weights and such so make them charisma-based melee. Yeah, I got it! A pair of sports-players, something that needs speed and quick-thinking but has some emphasis on strength in the support roles, something like english football. The pair can be practical jokers, always quick to find ways to trip up the enemy and use the environment or creative uses of prank toys. Make them twins or best friends to explain why they never got good at magic; they were always off pulling pranks, always had each other as an audience!

ampcptlogic
2007-01-03, 10:47 AM
, how about a pair of brothers.

I forgot about the pair of brothers who might also be related to another member of the party who might also be in love with another member of the party and might even be a bit jealous of the main character. Larry Earthenwaremaker or whatever his name is.

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-03, 10:57 AM
How about a brainy, know-it-all girl, born from a pair of normal non-magical parents? She'd probably focus more on transmutation.

And I think Larry should focus on abjuration, with a bit of evocation and some slight necromancy thrown in for flavour. He'd probably suck at divination.

CabbageTheif
2007-01-03, 12:26 PM
ooo! i have an idea for an npc cohort! check it out: a person who, because of his own ineptability at things, is actually 4 levels adept 3 wizard. but he is great with summon plants and the like. oh, he has a toad familiar. there was some plot-altering connection between the two of them back when they were born, and larry orriginally felt sorry for him because he was a dunderhead. then, about halfway through their years at school, he is encouraged a bit by his strong abilities with plants. after a bit more self esteem and a situation called for him to be brave, he comes into his own and larry now respects him as a courageous peer.

kinevill, i was thinking for his name

ampcptlogic
2007-01-03, 12:54 PM
How about a brainy, know-it-all girl, born from a pair of normal non-magical parents? She'd probably focus more on transmutation.

And I think Larry should focus on abjuration, with a bit of evocation and some slight necromancy thrown in for flavour. He'd probably suck at divination.

That fits. Divination and Necromancy are mutually barred schools, after all.

What spell school would "making glass disappear" or "pumping nasty aunts full of helium" fit into? Transmutation?

Yuki Akuma
2007-01-03, 01:04 PM
That fits. Divination and Necromancy are mutually barred schools, after all.

What spell school would "making glass disappear" or pumping "nasty aunts full of helium" fit into? Transmutation?

Teleportation is Conjuration... the helium might be either Transmutation or Conjuration.

Harstrack
2007-01-03, 01:31 PM
How about having Hypogrifs in the story! I like them!:smallbiggrin:

Peregrin_Tooc
2007-01-03, 01:35 PM
:argh:

what about friends of his deceised parents? Like someone who was one of his dad's best pals but beeing a werewolf, not having much to do with wizards?

ampcptlogic
2007-01-03, 01:39 PM
And spectres! There have to be Spectres! And Larry learns to Turn Undead somehow.

Deus Mortus
2007-01-03, 02:42 PM
How about they get killed by a pissed DM because he GF broke up with him the day before that in their first adventure, I would love that!

Jibar
2007-01-03, 02:53 PM
Ya know, the sad thing isn't that you did this.
No...the sad thing is that you put enough thought into this to actual work out how it could transfer into D&D...
I say this to all of you who have contributed.
I am ashamed.

Besides, you forgot the mysterious escaped convict who turns out to actually be the kids relative...like a godfather or something, who turns out to actually be completely innocent and will later die to cause a lot of unnessecary teen angst.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-01-03, 04:50 PM
Now you're making me want to actually stat up these characters. If only so my party can kill them later.

Too bad you can't actually ban Divination...especially since that covers mind-reading and predictive magic in D&D.

Oh, and don't forget the ambiguously evil Professor of Alchemy with a grudge against the character who spends five campaigns firmly if suspiciously on the good guys' side but suddenly for no particular reason seems to go back to his old evil habits.

Khantalas
2007-01-03, 05:17 PM
And there should be a giant snake whose gaze can kill people! Though people will call it basilisk for no reason, since it doesn't petrify and doesn't have multiple legs.

And there should be an intelligent hat that has some nifty powers. Like judging people. Though it should have an abysmal charisma and ego score.

averagejoe
2007-01-03, 05:53 PM
ooo! i have an idea for an npc cohort! check it out: a person who, because of his own ineptability at things, is actually 4 levels adept 3 wizard. but he is great with summon plants and the like. oh, he has a toad familiar. there was some plot-altering connection between the two of them back when they were born, and larry orriginally felt sorry for him because he was a dunderhead. then, about halfway through their years at school, he is encouraged a bit by his strong abilities with plants. after a bit more self esteem and a situation called for him to be brave, he comes into his own and larry now respects him as a courageous peer.

kinevill, i was thinking for his name

Kinevill Lankybutt

AmoDman
2007-01-03, 11:05 PM
What can I say, you guys are just doing great. It would be fun to see all these kids statted out...I wonder what sorts of items those wands they use should be...The Brooms are easy, they're just magic items with a singular purpose.

Jewel Thief
2007-01-04, 02:14 PM
Larry Earthenwaremaker is too long. Maybe something like Larry Turner or Rotter?

Bryn
2007-01-04, 03:21 PM
What about the very powerful, but slightly absent-minded headmaster of said school of wizardry, who despite his incredible arcane power never seems to get involved in Larry's affairs until later on at which point he completely takes over and does everything for Larry? Perhaps he should be dead?

Also, I would suggest putting a level restriction on Silent Spell as a houserule.

Fualkner Asiniti
2007-01-04, 03:27 PM

Slap me, please.

http://www.brooklyn.cuny.edu/bc/spotlite/slpress/slapped6.jpg

Skyserpent
2007-01-04, 07:12 PM
Larry Earthenwaremaker is too long. Maybe something like Larry Turner or Rotter?

Bah, that's too simple for the satire. Earthenwaremaker is unnecessarily long because it matches the series.

Rotter rhymes but we rhymed the first name already.

Turner? No, too much Pirates of the Carribean relation to work well...

Nonetheless, the Wands would apparently be a magic item that substitutes Material Components for most/all spells...

Kinevill Lankybutt

DONALD FERRETSBURG!

penguinreich
2007-01-04, 08:48 PM
I think we're forgetting his commoner/ wizard friend. He should probably use charisma as his dump stat and a high wisdom. He should put some ranks into knowledge(chess) and knowledge(sports). Maybe he should have a accent he over uses?

Ohh and how about almost everyone has a owl familar?