PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Sands IC

Rolep
2013-10-16, 03:15 AM
Rules/Conditions of Posting (Don’t worry, there are only a few):

Use first person present tense.
Speech is indicated by your colour and speech marks; thoughts are indicated by colour and italics.
Please provide detail in your posts and cover as much ground as possible with them.
Spoiler all dice rolls and OOC statements; save major OOC discussions for the OOC thread; I will also spoiler any instructions that I give you.
For the sake of speed, I will roll for you, but only when you are unable to react to the action with a special ability (such as an optional re-roll on a saving throw).

Also, remember that all goods and services are bartered, and killing is severely frowned upon and can make you enemies.

It is a moon’s turn till the Rite of the Retributive Vision, and signs of preparation are just beginning to show themselves. On the surface, the traders and clerics have not changed, but cloaked gnomes on street corners trade blessed mirrors and scrolls that cleanse wrongs to worried common-folk, and messengers carry letters detailing plans from sect to sect to ready them for the ceremony. The tension can be felt in the air, the possibility that something could go awry haunting the back of everyone’s mind. The paranoia is not unwarranted. With the cloak aiming to sabotage the ceremony and the ever-present chance of a drunken skyfolk raid, and a gnomish squabble potentially preventing the supply of the necessary potions, the church and the civilian guard are keeping their weapons lose in their scabbards.

Yet, for just as many people, business is unchanged. Gnomes still manage their meticulously constructed trade routes, the guard still patrol the streets, and muggers and robbers still crawl down every back alley.

OOC
Tell me where you would be in a fairly normal day, in as much detail as you can. I’ll take the plot from there.

OOPWER
2013-10-17, 03:46 AM
OOC
I hope I did this right.

I find myself in my hovel, pacing impatiently about. My sword lies on my bed, and while I feel the need to wear it, my previous life's specter reminds me such is a silly practice.
Wear it, or not? I don't see a reason to wear it, but nor is there a reason NOT to wear it.

I hear the various sounds of the city, the crimes both approved and non-approved. I've seen the city guard march in greater force than usual. Those preachers of the Great Reflection have been about as well. Some sort of festival. From their weapons, I can only assume that they can only assume that the Cloak is plotting something. And I've seen the gnomes act... touchy as of late. A clan war, or whatever the equivalent is. Lots of opportunity, for the right price and place.

On.

A decision is made. I belt on my blade, and step outside.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-17, 04:34 AM
Everyone is on edge lately. On the surface they may seem occupied with the upcoming festivities, but they know as I know that our enemies are scheming against us. What more opportune time for the cloaked rats to lash out at us than now? And as always the threat of a raid looms over us all...

Preparations. Chores. So much that needs to be done well in advance of the festival. Normally, I'd be on my way from morning sparring with the aspiring future inquisitors to my studies in the church proper, but today all that takes a secondary place. I woke up early to take the morning meal with the other church functionaries, and night will fall before I return home to rest. Until then, I perform my duties diligently and with pride.

And we are off! I wonder what could possibly disturb the peace and quiet of this idyllic city...

alanek2002
2013-10-17, 11:43 AM
I sit in my room, Studying. I just recently completed the coursework for YGGD 101, And I am finishing up my Pocketbook that we are recommended to make. I Smile as I finish, putting it in my backpack, and leave for the mages college, planning to study magic for the next half of the day. A normal day for me, though the streets are more crowded than normal.

OOC:Essentially, He's been spending his days learning at the colleges. He'll know few people outside it, and probably doesn't realize that a festival is coming. After all, Festival or mastery of the universe in two different ways?

Sciffy
2013-10-17, 12:16 PM
Freya typically will spend her day roaming the area around her looking after the stray and forgotten animals, which includes the multitude of the people also forgotten by society and their families. It is tiring work for her, both physically and emotionally but she is driven on. It can be dangerous down there so her companion, Luna the Husky (big for her breed), goes where ever Freya goes and typically this is enough to discourage all but the bravest, or most foolhardy, of thugs.

MegaNerd2
2013-10-18, 05:20 AM
The day begins typically, waking up as the sun peaks across the horizon. Yet another day living. How fun. I leave the small room that I suppose you could call my home quickly and slip out onto the narrow streets still bustling with trade. I can feel the tension as well as any other person who lives here, but to tell the truth it does not really bother me. Safe to say I have no interest in the business of the church or the cloak. For me everything goes on as it would normally.

I do what I always do; try and find some job to bring in a bit of money. It had been a while since I have been paid to kill, thankfully, but the jobs have been slow to come in. Not many people missing nor anything similar. Not many people seem to need a tracker at the moment. It is frustrating to say the least.

If I don't find a job soon I really am going to have to sell my services as a murderer once again...

Rolep
2013-10-18, 07:05 AM
OOC
Each paragraph is for a different character, as you are all currently separated. Also, Ylyja is pronounced /y'lyja/.

Invictus: As you leave, you are greeted by the familiar hurried paces and nervous glances that define the features of everyday life. A woman in rags hugs a little child as they scamper across your vision, and a tatooed goliath sends loud shouts and an unconcerned, armoured dwarf. A gnome wearing the family crest of a swirling line of velvet stands opposite you, and a small, insistant voice reaches out from her tight, thin lips.
"Master Ylyja would like to speak with you, concerning a use for your mighty sword-arm."

Lynn: As you pass down one of the silent, spotless corridors that grow within the temple, one of your fellow priests, the watchwoman who greets visitors and conducts the daily business of your temple, approaches you. Beneath one of the tall, thin windows, she stops and addresses you.
"Lynn, I have been aproached by a member of the Ylyja clan of gnomes, and they have requested your services for a small task, which both they and I believe will greatly further our cause. If you desire to take it, you have already been excused of your duties. Master Ylyja has requested your presence in three half-hours. He will explain it all in detail. So, do you want to go?"

Rekis: As you open your book, a swirl of light emerges from between the covers, solidifying into the form of your current tutor. His voice is monotone, telling you that this is a message spell.
"You have learned much, and I fel that it is time to put your skills to use. You will not be far from your studies for long. Remember that the greatest mages learned by doing, by applying their knowledge and using it to heal and harm. After extensive research, I feel that the job currently being posed by house Ylyja is the most appropriate. Be there as soon as you can. Your skills will be invaluable to them."
The image fades into vapour.

Freya: As you follow a shabby, folorn tabby down a narrow alley, Moon begins to emitt a low rumble. Looking ahead, you can see a cloaked figure, about three feet tall, watching you. He nods at you and lifts himself off the wall.
"My father, Ylyja, would like to speak with you about a proposition that you may be interested in. Your magic will be indispensible to him."

Anya: Amidst the bustle of the street, full of individual quarrels and friendships that stretch across your path like intangible cords, ready to ensnare you with a single wrong move, you see a figure sprinting through the crowd. He almost bumps into you in his haste. Looking up, panting, he just about manages to form words.
"Your...your skills...are needed. Master Ylyja. Follow...me. Money...there's money...in it...for you."

Sciffy
2013-10-18, 09:52 AM
Freya place's a hand on Luna's head, a gesture to calm the husky
handle animal [roll0]

Who...are you? Who's Ylyja? Her voice is soft and a little timid

alanek2002
2013-10-18, 10:06 AM
Sciffy, thank you for changing the shade. My eyes were bleeding...
Roelp, Interesting way to get the party together. As in, every message was delivered differently in a way that matches the character and their backstory.
About the message: The way I see it, the library is linked to all its books. The teachers can use the books to send messages to students. other features not known IRL.
Rekis

I grumble a bit as I put back the book, and leave. "Arg. Why now?" I mutter. Its not like I mind going to a job. In fact, I'm quite excited. But House Ylyja is just over half an hour from the college... and 5 minutes from my apartment.

OOC updated.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-18, 02:24 PM
"Yes of course I will answer their request, if it benefits our temple. Did they divulge the nature of the requested task?"

Unless the next words I hear are "slaying the innocent", I will at least go see this Master Ylyja and hear what he has to say. The favour of a gnome house would be a great boon for our temple indeed, perhaps more than any nominal reward, and I could use a change of scenery.

But what would the gnomes want my assistance with? And what did they offer in return?

I wave away those thoughts... no use worrying about it until I actually hear the proposal. I don't think I need to prepare for the meeting, if my services are requested, the ordinary garb of the Church will make the right impression. And I might as well try to be punctual. But no reason to leave early, I'll spend the meantime making sure that not only am I excused from my duties, but also that those duties are going to being performed by someone else.

Have I learned anything specific about the Ylyja clan that I can recall (applying my Lore ability (with a modifier of +2))? I won't make a roll, as either you may be treating it as Knowledge skills in the new skill system, without rolls, or you should probably make a hidden roll for me.

Also, are "clan Ylyja" and "house Ylyja" interchangeable, or is there a difference?

OOPWER
2013-10-18, 07:50 PM
I take a moment to gather my thoughts, then address the gnome,

Then take me to him.

OOC
Basically, I psionically focus myself, and then I go.

Rolep
2013-10-19, 11:39 AM
OOC
Clan, house, cluster, family...they're all effectively synonyms, but each has their own foramlity ('house' is the most polite, with 'clan' coming closely behind, and 'cluster' as an insulting term.
Also, Eiljyr is pronounced /'eɪljyɾ/.

Freya: The gnome takes another step, more confident, and a wavering smile briefly passes his lips. His eye occasionally wanders to Luna, but the movement seems casual rather than nervous.
"I'm a member of house Ylyja, of whom my father is the leader. He bears the name Eiljyr, and he has a simple task for you. It should be quick, and he is offering a generous payment for it. I do not know more. If you want to know, follow me to his office. You do not have to accept if you do not want to."

Rekis:
I take it that you are going. If you are not, or have not left yet, then ignore this response.
You are right, the streets do seem a little busier than usual. You know your way to the office of Ylyja like you know so many things, where a lizardfolk clad in the armour of the Civillian Guard looks at you sternly. He is probably being hired as a guard, one of the Guard's more profitable endeavours. He speaks with a low hiss, examining you from between the slits of his helm.
"I take it that you are here to aid master Eiljyr Ylyja? Very well. He told me to look out for you. You're the first to arrive. You may pass, but first I'll need to take care of your weapons."
He waves his clawed hand at you expectantly.

Lynn:
Lore: You know that house Ylyja has a prime connection with a sect of slitherkin that supply papers allowing people to create portals, leave the city and other such forays, so they are well sought-after, and they also have some limited trade with the Church. Their master is named Eiljyr, and he won his place as master by cunning rather than heritage.
The watchwoman, whose name you know to be Hardzha, considers her reply.
"No, but they told me that you can refuse them if you do not like what they tell you when you go to them."
She turns and returns to her duties, leaving you to prepare.
You find yourself fully covered by other members of the Church, and arrive at house Ylyja punctually. The guard, a lizardfolk bearing the badge of the Civillian Guard, nods at you and steps aside. Being a member of the church has its perks.
"Some of them have already arrived."

Invictus: She leads you through the maze of winding alleys and tunnels until you reach a small stone door in a narrow, dirt-filled wynd.
"A back door. This way was quicker."
She beckons for you to enter first, throwing brief glances to either side, shifting her weight from foot to foot.

alanek2002
2013-10-19, 11:44 AM
Rekis

"I use no weapons" I say. "Feel free to check." I stand patiently while he does so, and enter the office afterwards.
I am used to people believing that I am helpless with no weapons. It makes for great magic training when going home at night.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-19, 12:43 PM
"Who have arrived? Is there anything I should know?"

I step inside slowly, half awaiting the guard's response.

I guess I'm less of an obvious physical threat than Rekis... well, as long as nopony gets upset that I'm armed when inside, I won't argue.

Also, would a gnome "warren", "nest", or "hive" be terms to avoid?

Here's my prepared spells on an ordinary day such as this one, by the way... (I'd probably change it up if I was expecting any particular activity):

Orisons: Amanuensis, Light, Virtue
Level 1: Comprehend Languages, Expeditious Retreat (Domain), Ice Slick, Obscuring Mist

MegaNerd2
2013-10-19, 03:46 PM
"My skills needed?" I hum thoughtfully, arching an eyebrow. "I will come." I do not even need to think about it, following the figure without hesitation. I am curious, to say the least. But I do not dwell on the various thoughts, ideas, that spring up in my mind. There is money involved. At least that is a good thing. And it can't be anything worse than what I've done. Lowered myself to doing terrible deeds just to get by... No, I do not like thinking about those days. They are, hopefully, behind me.

Apologies for replying later than anyone... Bit busy and all.

Sciffy
2013-10-19, 06:32 PM
Freya kneels and holds Luna's face in her hands and whispers to her

What do you think Luna?

She nuzzles into Luna

Hmmm? You'll be there don't worry

She stands, looks at the Gnome and nods

Rolep
2013-10-20, 05:11 AM
OOC
Any term that compares gnomes to animals or vermin should be avoided.

Rekis: He carefully pats you down, nodding and humming to himself. He then withdraws a short rod from his belt and briefly waves it up and down your body. Seemingly satisfied, he steps aside and lets you pass.

Lynn: "I do not know their names."
His response is gruff and short, and his tongue briefly flickers out of his mouth.
"You will find out soon enough."

Anya: He leads you almost at a run, weaving from street to street, always following crowds. All the while, he keeps up an endless stream of rasping words forced out between each hurried breath.
"My uncle...he says it...the job...is important..many people...it'll benefit...many people...quick...money...good money for...little time..."
Eventually, you reach a tall, grimy rows of flats and a large, sturdy door. A guard stands outside, who nods at the small, chattering figure and steps aside, allowing you to pass in.

Freya: He strides up a fight of steps to the rooftops, leading you behind him. Traversing the multitude of bridges that span the tip of the city, you eventually make it to a trapdoor upon a particularly sturdy-looking roof. He takes out a small, silver key from a hidden pocket and places it into the wood. He easily lifts it open and jumps down, indicating for you to follow.

All: You find yourself in a surprisingly plush room. There is a bubbly window with shutters untouched by rot, and a thin, patterned rug covers the floorboards. A lone painting hangs on the wall, depicting a sea of grass swaying in the wind, and several seats are positioned around the walls. A wrinkled, well-dressed gnome lady sits in the brightest corner.
"Eiljyr will be with you shortly. In the meantime, please take a seat."

You arrive in the following order: Rekis, Invictus, Anya, Freya, Lynn. Use this time as you will. I will update again tomorrow.

alanek2002
2013-10-20, 10:55 AM
Rekis

I sit in a chair in one of the corners, and nod to each person as they enter.

MegaNerd2
2013-10-20, 03:19 PM
I easily follow as we weave, curiosity still fresh in my mind. I look around the room I am led to with an almost suspicious light in my eyes, a frown falling across my lips. After noting my surroundings I sit in a seat not next to either of the two who have already arrived, glancing at each carefully. I note the new arrivals as they come in but remain silent and reasonably still. Just watching.

OOPWER
2013-10-20, 06:15 PM
I open the door and walk in.

OOCI don't think I was actually brought in, so I guess I'm the surprise.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-21, 12:20 AM
This assumes Freya and Luna are in the room at the point of my arrival, but my reaction wouldn't differ all that much if they are not.

Also, I don't really know what colour Sciffy is using, I'm just approximating.
Trying to shake the feeling of unease left by the thought of the reptilians who sired the guard outside, I enter the room, noting the slight air of tension and throwing a surprised glance at Luna.

I wasn't expecting a waiting room and a queue... I guess it makes sense though, this Eiljyr must be a highly sought-after man being the master of the Ylyja clan... or could these be the "others" the guard mentioned? Should I know who they are?

As I walk into the room, I greet everyone (glancing at the gnome woman to make sure she hears my name), and identifying Rekis as the one making the least of an effort to keep to himself in the room, I sit down next to him.

"Hi, I am known as Lynn."

Are people in general suspicious of spellcasting/manifesting, by the way, or are they accustomed to it?

Would people (without the means of identifying what I'm casting) be alarmed if I cast Comprehend Languages without saying anything, for example? I probably won't have much reason to, but it's nice to know.

...and yes, I like ellipsis. If you don't, you'd better get used to it.

Sciffy
2013-10-21, 01:23 AM
Ooc I was waiting my turn and now I missed it =( if you cast a spell in the room you'll find out our reaction =p
Freya enters first with Luna following after. Freya is a petit young woman, slim with slightly tangled auburn hair down past her shoulders. She is dressed in a simple green woolen dress. The dog that follows down after her is a large husky, completely white with golden eyes. Freya will glance around the room before taking a seat furthest (as much as possible) from anyone else with Luna curling up around her feet. Freya will keep her head down, fiddling with her hair.

Rolep
2013-10-21, 02:32 AM
OOC

I don't think I was actually brought in, so I guess I'm the surprise.
You were brought in the post before everyone else, and through a side door.

Are people in general suspicious of spellcasting/manifesting, by the way, or are they accustomed to it?
They are no more suspicious of it that someone acting strangely or carrying a weapon; they are suspicious only because they do not know what the spell does and if it is a threat. They are accustomed to it.

Would people (without the means of identifying what I'm casting) be alarmed if I cast Comprehend Languages without saying anything, for example? I probably won't have much reason to, but it's nice to know.
Not alarmed, but suspicious and nervous.

...and yes, I like ellipsis[sic]. If you don't, you'd better get used to it.
I'm a fan too, but I try to keep their usage to a minimum so that it's more effective when I do use them.
After many tense minutes, the old lady rises from her seat and hobbles to the door. She opens it and walks out, handing a scroll to the middle-aged, robed gnome whom she passes. He walks into the room, unfurling it and scanning it with deep, green eyes that scuttle across the paper. Smkiling, he rolls it up and places it into a case in his black leather belt. Briefly squeezing its golden buckle, he then raises his left hand, letting a single ruby on his finger glow softly in the filtered light. His voce is measured, carefully picking apart every word before sending it out for reality to hear.
"I am glad to see that you five came. It's a shame that the other two aren't as brave as you. I am Eiljyr Ylyja, and I have a task for you. A member of my clientelle has lost something important to them, and he would like you to find it. Our intelligence has followed the trail to a room in the south of this city. All you have to do is take it back. If it is not there, then you must gather as much information as you can and continue along the trail. My client is also on watch, so the trail should not go far. It will be a short excercise, and the reward will be rich. However, he would ask that anyone whom you believe to be involved is silenced after you have gained information from them. He is a secretive individual. Your reward shall be..."
He briefly pauses, enough to release a small burst of tension into the air.
"...a hundred gold apiece."
He gently lowers himself into one of the chairs, leaning back and draping his arms over the sides. Silence falls.

Sciffy
2013-10-21, 03:27 AM
Freya will look up when the gnome enters, still fiddling with her hair as she listens. When he finishes she looks back down and remains silent. Luna has closed her syes at her feet, seemingly relaxed in contrast to Freya.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-21, 04:35 AM
Feel free to interrupt me, in case your character would be more instant in responding. This post assumes that Lynn speaks first, I'll change it if anyone wants to be a bit more aggressive than me (just note it in an OoC spoiler in your post).
Having listened to what the gnome has to say, and after glancing around to see if anyone else in the room feels an urgent need to speak, I stand up, and facing the now sitting gnome I ask the obvious questions, trying not to make it sound like some sort of accusation.

"What is the nature of this object, or creature, that your client finds so important that you would hire seven people to retrieve it?"
"Is there reason to assume there are people... involved... and if so, what do we know about them?"
"Surely you have people you normally turn to for... these matters... so what made you choose us for this task?"

I'm a fan too, but I try to keep their usage to a minimum so that it's more effective when I do use them.
I don't!

The word "silence" used like this makes me think of this sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6cake3bwnY).

Oh, and just for "context"... are the shutters closed :smalltongue:?

Rolep
2013-10-21, 05:40 AM
OOC

The word "silence" used like this makes me think of this sketch.
Lol! Though, to be fair, in a world with magic, there are other ways to silence someone.

Oh, and just for "context"... are the shutters closed?
No, they're open. I dread to ask 'Why?', but I will. Why?

Also, I'm just going to reiterate the social climate about your task, since your character's would all know this off the top of their head (and I'm in anice mood today!):

Also, remember that all goods and services are bartered, and killing is severely frowned upon and can make you enemies.

Finally, this post at the bottom is in reply to Lynn, but if any other character speaks before her, then this will be assumed to have been said after he replies to said other character (OMG that's some difficult English to wrestle).

He turns his head to meet Lynn's gaze, with the faintest smile dancing on the corner of his lips.
"The object is a blessed mirror of your church, Ecclesiatic Yarrow, and he desired it back very strongly. I am informed that it is a particularly expensive specimen. My people are businessmen, traders and others skilled in the handling of coin, but none possess the right skills ofr this task. You have all been deemed to have the prowess to return what is rightfully his. We do not know who is involved, though our client has many enemies, and any information about them that you could bring back would yield glittering returns, I'm informed.

OOPWER
2013-10-21, 06:33 AM
OOC
I'm just going to presume I'm in the room.

Drumming my fingers on my sword hilt, I say:
"Seems straightforward. Where do we start?"

Rolep
2013-10-21, 07:49 AM
I'm just going to presume I'm in the room.
I think that I answered this in the OOC before you posted; yes, you are.

alanek2002
2013-10-21, 01:52 PM
Seeing no problem, I agree to go.
"I'm willing to go, especially as we seem to have a diverse set of skills."
Although, I'm only really concerned about having someone between me and the closest sword.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-22, 01:53 AM
Though intentionally left vague, I find the gnome's answers satisfactory for the most part. I do my best to suppress my suspicious tone and replace it with one of enthusiasm.

"If I knew what was stolen was such a sacred object, I would of course have accepted this proposal even without any monetary reward... assuming, of course, that, as you said, the relic rightfully belongs to your client."

I pause, then add, followed by a cheerful but short laugh:

"However, as you have now proposed a reward, it would be thoughtless of me to decline it, of course."

Parsing secondary clauses from commas is hell. My aesthetic sense wants a comma before the colon, somehow, to finish that clause off. But that's beside the point.

I guess the answer is no, since half of all blessed objects of the Church must be mirrors, but I'll ask anyway: Do I have the faintest hint of an idea about what this mirror could be, or who it could belong to? Lore +2 and Knowledge (Religion) +5 and all that.

Lol! Though, to be fair, in a world with magic, there are other ways to silence someone.
Permanently, without mid- to high-level spells/powers (sending them off somewhere far away or imprisoning them, modifying their memories, etc.) or lifelong dedication? Apart from just asking nicely, I guess we could snap a person's vocal chords... or I should maybe read the material about Gramarie more carefully.

No, they're open. I dread to ask 'Why?', but I will. Why?
Oh, nothing special :smallwink:. How are the windows framed? A thick lattice of heavy lead cames supporting small glass sections, or large brittle glass panes supported by flimsy wooden frames?

[...](and I'm in anice[sic] mood today!)[...]
Surely you mean you are in an anise mood, right?

Sciffy
2013-10-22, 08:06 AM
Luna yawns lazily as Freya, who has taken one of her sandals off, strokes Lunas back with her foot seemingly lost in thought.

Rolep
2013-10-22, 11:01 AM
OOC

Parsing secondary clauses from commas is hell. My aesthetic sense wants a comma before the colon, somehow, to finish that clause off. But that's beside the point.
I agree. Personally I often want to put a comma after a dash when the dash was used between two commas.

I guess the answer is no, since half of all blessed objects of the Church must be mirrors, but I'll ask anyway: Do I have the faintest hint of an idea about what this mirror could be, or who it could belong to? Lore +2 and Knowledge (Religion) +5 and all that.
The church regualrly offers blessed mirrors to wealthy or pious members. You cannot guess which individual one this would be.

Permanently, without mid- to high-level spells/powers (sending them off somewhere far away or imprisoning them, modifying their memories, etc.) or lifelong dedication? Apart from just asking nicely, I guess we could snap a person's vocal chords... or I should maybe read the material about Gramarie more carefully.
True: you do need to be a little more powerful to use the more inventive/non-fatal methods.

Oh, nothing special . How are the windows framed? A thick lattice of heavy lead cames supporting small glass sections, or large brittle glass panes supported by flimsy wooden frames?
They are framed by wood, but said wood is sturdy and tough. The panes themselves are small and the glass is thick. It is a luxury to even have a glass window, and a truly well-made one is expensive. Normally they are only found in temples. (Are you asking because you are expecting me to use the cliché of a foe arbitrarily bursting in through a window and killing the patron/posing a random threat?)

Eiljyr nods his head slowly, with a warm smile filling all his face but his eyes, which fix themselves in the middle-distance upon some unseen thought.
"It is nice to see your eagerness to be off, but I would like to remind you to be cautious. Do not waste any information; it may be necessary for your investigation. You may start as soon as you feel that you are prepared. I have the location of the house here."
He pulls out the scroll from his belt and unfurls it in midair, where it hovers at waist-height, rippling softly in a faint draught. As is typical of maps of the city, it is marked by many different layers of ink, each representing a rough 'layer' of streets, tunnels or bridges, and it stretches a god three metres in each direction. A red spot is marked upon a point on the side nearest Eiljyr, showing on which layer and street the house can be found. He waves a hand and that portion of the map detatches itself from the main body. Both scrolls roll back up, and he carefully returns the larger one to his pocket and offers the other to the group.

MegaNerd2
2013-10-22, 04:03 PM
I decide not to speak throughout the conversation, instead just giving a nod as if to indicate that I will take the job. The money... Well, it is a lot. I certainly need it.

I arch an eyebrow as a portion of the map is separated and offered to us. I do not step up to take it though. Let someone else take it. I have no wish... To speak, per say. I will just do this job and move on. Easy.

Should probably make Anya actually do something more... Interesting. But I'm tired so I can't be bothered to write anything better Sorry.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-23, 05:02 PM
Really? No one else will grab it? Ok then...
The swordsman and the scholar seems to be in on the deal, and perhaps the shifty-looking girl too, it's hard to tell... I can not understand what the young girl with the dog is doing here though, it seems like she has not even been listening... yet master Ylyja does not seem to mind.

As it seems no one else is reaching for it, I step forward and grab the offered scroll. I unfold it and study it carefully, then turn away from the gnome slightly and hold it out horizontally for the other people in the room to see if they step closer. My eyes come to rest on the girl in the maille byrnie as I address the room.

"You have all heard my name, would you mind sharing yours?"

Apart from myself, there's the one who can't stop fingering his sword, the only one who warranted a search, and probably the self-confessed murderer in the party so far. Are you in too, crazy homeless lady?

@Rolep: I memorize the map, how many rolls it takes to succeed (DC 15) only affects how long I study it for:

EDIT: Oh, right, can't preview a post if I want to roll in it. Next post then.

[...](Are you asking because you are expecting me to use the cliché of a foe arbitrarily bursting in through a window and killing the patron/posing a random threat?)
No, I'm asking in an attempt to implant the idea in your head of me (or somepony else) performing the even more clichéd arbitrary dive out through the window :smalltongue:.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-23, 05:06 PM
Here's my Autohypnosis rolls (again, against DC 15):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Sciffy
2013-10-23, 08:06 PM
Freya breaks out of whatever thought she was having and looks at the tall lady addressing her:

Oh..err..I'm Freya She says quietly then nods to Luna

and this is Luna

She sinks back into her chair trying to hide her face

alanek2002
2013-10-23, 09:02 PM
Rekis
I stare at the map for moment. "That must have been hideously expensive! Especially if it is updating, or if they need a wizard to change it every time something changes. An impressive show of wealth."

Lynn's question snaps me out of my musings.
I stand up, and bow with a flourish. "I am Rekis Ladak, student of warmagic." I say, as I walk closer, and examine the map.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-23, 09:20 PM
So this timid young girl is listening after all, she is just afraid the poor thing.

I nod towards Rekis, hand him the small map and take a step back.

Rolep
2013-10-24, 01:23 AM
OOC

I memorize the map
Yes, you do.

No, I'm asking in an attempt to implant the idea in your head of me (or somepony else) performing the even more clichéd arbitrary dive out through the window :smalltongue:.
You have no idea how hard it is to stop Eiljyr from doing that now!

Eiljyr watches you talk, idly waving his hands backwards and forwards, letting ripples of energy pass between them, forming shapes out of the ether like reflections in a lake, letting the ripples distort their image until something new is formed. The old lady returns through the door, stepping with surprising speed over to him. He nods to her, and she returns with a quick whisper into his ear. He nods again, and she exits, leaving him to his waves and your discussion.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-24, 02:38 AM
He isn't doing anything anyone of us has the ability to figure out what it is, is he?

OOPWER
2013-10-24, 08:56 PM
Distracted, I simply respond, "Invictus."

Rolep
2013-10-25, 01:02 AM
OOC
Everyone except Freya and Luna can recognize the ripples as a minor cantrip.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-25, 03:11 AM
Does anyone of us recognize what this minor cantrip may do?

Rolep
2013-10-25, 08:14 AM
OOC
It conjures a small unstable image between one's hands.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-26, 05:44 AM
My eyes still fixed on the girl in maille, I repeat my request now directed towards her.

"And you young lady? Do you have a name?"

Rolep
2013-10-26, 06:26 AM
Pounding footsteps sound from a nearby room, coming closer and closer. Eiljyr looks up, keeping his image balanced in midair, as a young gnome boy blunders into the room, panting. Anya recognises him as the person who brought her here.
"Master...The client...he says the trail...they need to go now...its fading...they won't have long..."
He fumbles for the right words between gasps for air. Eiljyr nods and looks to you.
"I'm sorry to interrupt your first union, but it seems that you must be off at once."
With a brief smile, he returns to his spell.

alanek2002
2013-10-26, 10:32 AM
Rekis

I am the first to move after his words, and leave through the door, at a brisk pace.

"well then.", I say, "Let us go there through **** way, by means of ***** street, which should be faster than taking ****** ave to *** road."

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-26, 06:57 PM
The sudden entrance of the messenger, and the equally sudden departure of Rekis, wakes me from my interrogative thoughts.

"You heard him, we are in a hurry, come now or not at all!"

I leave with haste to catch up with Rekis, following him at an arms distance.

Sciffy
2013-10-26, 08:04 PM
Having noticed the others hustle out, Freya quickly puts her sandle back on, ruffles Luna's head to arouse her and hurries after the rest with Luna in tow.

OOPWER
2013-10-27, 01:53 AM
I follow them out, hand still on sword.

MegaNerd2
2013-10-27, 02:15 PM
I remain silent for a few moments, following the others out quickly. It seems we are in a rush. Hm. Well everyone seems eager to start that is.

"Anya. My name is Anya." I say shortly as we leave, just loud enough so everyone can hear. There. They know my name. Now they do not need to know any more.

Rolep
2013-10-27, 02:32 PM
As you leave, Eiljyr gives you one last smile and rises towards the panting boy, who cannot take his gaze from the doorway. You pass at least two more gnomes and a small halfling girl as you descend the stairs. The first two give you a brief glance and then move on, but the Halfling girl makes a muffled squeak and freezes in place, her eyes fixed on Invictus and Lynn's blades. At the door, the lizardfolk guard gives you a long, calculating stare, then nods at something no one else can hear and steps aside.

OOC (EDITED)
I will deal with your arrival next post, which I will make pretty soon, but if you want to make any conversation during your trip then do it in your next post and it will be 'retro-added'.

EDIT: And by soon I mean very early tomorrow, as some unexpected events have caught me up.

Rolep
2013-10-28, 03:11 AM
OOC
OK, I'm moving this another step forward.

The area where the room is located is nicknamed 'The Slaver's Crack', and for good reason. It is near to the gate to the upper city, and Skyfolk are regular visitors, rarely with peaceful intentions. There are more Guards than normal on the street, and many of them bear the shaven head of the Drinkers, who are trained in stopping rogue mages. Every building of importance has a lizardfolk, dwarf, goliath or Aasimar outside, carrying bare steel and no smile.

The room itself is five floors up, with a wooden door lathered in scrumbling paint leading from a staircase rising from a tight, deserted alley. The wall is covered in soot and grime, falling here from the forges two blocks away, and no window punctures its rough surface. No one else can be seen, though the sounds of the city still cry out from all sides. Sweat and burning cling to your nose, making your eyes water.

Sciffy
2013-10-28, 05:25 AM
Luna whines and Freya squats down to comfort the husky. Stroking her head, Freya whispers

I know it stinks, I know but you'll get used to it ,you always do

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-28, 10:03 AM
While briskly walking towards our target in Slaver's Crack along with the rest of the hustling group, I try to discuss some basic tactics:

"So, what is our plan when we arrive?"

I look over the rest of the hastily formed group.

"There's many of us, some of us look like we can handle ourselves, I say we take the direct approach. Knock on the door, present our case... after checking for back doors, of course. I don't fancy the idea of breaking an entering, but unfortunately, it seems that will have to be our backup plan in that case."

I wish I prepared Omen of Peril.

Sciffy
2013-10-28, 11:23 AM
Along the way Freya will stop at every beggar she can without losing the group and give them a portion of food from her backpack and a quick kind word. Always hastily catching up with the group. She will continue until she has no food left and will look on in sadness at those she missed. You'll also see her look on in sadness at any stricken stray in the streets.

She'll be catching her breath when we all arrive at the place.

When Lynn speaks to the them all she'll listen looking thoughtful.

OOPWER
2013-10-28, 02:40 PM
I scoff at Lynn's suggestion: "The 'case' we should present is our blades. Eiljyr wouldn't hire us if negotiation was on his list of tools to wield. We, and whoever it is that has this item Eiljyr or his client wants, are an example in half a dozen different ways. Take the girl and her dog to look for a back door, and I'll kick in the front. If we're lucky... and I finish the sentence with a wide grin.

OOC
Invictus is smart enough and sensible enough to know that he's a tool, but he's not very much a people person. From this, I surmise that his approach to the whole situation is going to be very direct and physical, as he's reached the conclusion that diplomacy has already been attempted (As I have). It also fits with his more underworld personality that he suspects this first and tosses aside the (from his perspective) naive suggestion of "talk first."

tl;dr: I'm not trying to put you down, I promise! Also, I will admit that if several of you other people insist on trying diplomacy first Invictus will cave, partly to maintain group cohesion and partly because more numbers = better fights.

TheDragonmaster
2013-10-28, 10:48 PM
What a naïve young man... I thought him the seasoned warrior of our troupe, but he can't have seen real combat with such a childishly glorified idea of violence. Some steel in his gut, and me pulling it out of him, should change that.

I reply, trying not to sound too condescending:

"I think you misunderstand, young Invictus, the negotiation I am talking of is flexing our muscles and displaying our blades. If whoever is in that room gives up peacefully, or panics, all the better for our cause. If not, you will have your precious fighting."

I add, in a somewhat more peevish tone:

"I will happily let you walk in front, though."

Once we arrive, I will buckle my shield to my arm. Just in case.

Yes, I misunderstand Invictus. Yes I'm halfway to the point of questioning his combat prowess. We will see how this goes :smallamused:.

And yes, I will pull the age card at any possible time, no matter how meaningless it may be.

alanek2002
2013-10-28, 11:21 PM
Rekis

"Either way, he has something of a point. We need somebody at the backdoor, in case they try to flee, and to hit them from behind if it comes to blows." I say, as I look at the building. "I prefer to be at the middle, as I might be able to take a few blows, but not many."

MegaNerd2
2013-10-30, 04:52 PM
I listen to the conversation with an arched eyebrow, deciding that maybe I will have to contribute to the discussion. Oh joys. This was going to be a fun venture. When I had followed that guy however long ago it was I ha hoped it would be a job which I would do alone. But alas, it was not.

"I agree that we need someone at the back door, I put in with narrowed eyes, glancing down to check that I remembered my blades. Thankfully both my longsword and shortsword are in their scabbards. ""But I also agree with..." I wave my hand at Lynn, having forgotten just about everybody's names. I'm not so good at the kind of thing. "That we shouldn't rush into the fighting unless necessary. And I can go in any position, really. I can take a reasonable amount of hits and I'm not half bad with my swords." I shrug non-committally before glancing around at the group. My piece has been said, now I'll wait for whatever else they wish to say before contributing more.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-01, 11:34 AM
This assumes everyone that wanted to say something before arriving has done so, and that the party has now arrived outside the target building. It also assumes that we are within sight of the door to the room (as described earlier), but not in the direct way of people.
I address the three other speakers.

"Since you three seem so eager to be beaten up and stabbed, stay here and keep your eyes on that door until I come back. I'll take a look around and see if I can find any other exits from that room."

"...and try not to pick any fights with someone other than our prospective quarry while waiting... there are a lot of guards around."

I turn to the shy girl who haven't spoken to us since we left master Ylyja's locale.

"Freya, will you join me?"

I wait a moment for a response, then I start walking away from the group, around the building. I look for access points to the room and neighboring rooms, balconies, bridges, roof terraces, and similar features, recalling the memorized map as necessary to reference this to the street and block layout. I try to look somewhat inconspicuous, but I don't go to great lengths doing so.

To put it simply, more architectural information plox. I'd love any information I may have about how buildings like this are usually laid out, if there are any patterns and if I know of them, possibly assisted by Lore as appropriate. And in case it's not obvious, yes, I (and most of the others I'd reckon) want to know if someone exits said room in plain sight.

Is "master Ylyja" correct, as he is the master of house Ylyja, or should I perhaps start referring to him by the more generic "master Eiljyr" instead?

Rolep
2013-11-01, 11:58 AM
Is "master Ylyja" correct, as he is the master of house Ylyja, or should I perhaps start referring to him by the more generic "master Eiljyr" instead?
You may use either, but the latter is probably better, since master Eiljyr implies that he is your master whereas master Ylyja is a general term for the master of house Ylyja.

Lynn, you know from your knowledge that, generally speaking, rooms only have one entrance, but a particularly wealthy person can join multiple rooms together to use both of their entrances. The entrances themselves can be doors in the side of the building or trapdoors leading to the roof or to tunnels underground. From what you can see on the outside, this room looks like a basic one-entrance deal, but it may be different within; you cannot tell whether walls have been demolished without entering. No one exits or enters during your inspection, and you arouse no more suspicion than a couple of prolonged glances from Guard members.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-01, 12:06 PM
Do the doors of the adjacent rooms face the same side of the building as the one of our room of interest?

I'm eagerly awaiting to see if Sciffy leaps at the extremely fine crack of an opening I gave him, by the way.

Rolep
2013-11-01, 12:53 PM
Do the doors of the adjacent rooms face the same side of the building as the one of our room of interest?
The doors to adjacent rooms are predominently on the same side of the building, with some leading to corridors that in turn lead to the rooms deeper within the structure; however, there are a few doors on the other side which might lead to adjacent rooms. You can see none on the roof.

Sciffy
2013-11-01, 12:53 PM
Freya looks surprised when you single her out to join you but nods following you and as you start inspecting the building from the outside she asks

Do you think there is another way out?

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-01, 02:44 PM
Somewhat relieved by Freya's break from muteness, I reply:

"It's hard to tell, but we can at least hope not."

After a few moments, I add:

"So... if you don't mind me asking, what are your skills that make the gnome master choose you for our task? You don't seem to be a warrior like the other three."

After making the initial assessment, I proceed to walk up to the base of the building, below the door to our room of interest, and try to sense any magical auras from that vantage point. Still keeping it moderately inconspicuous. After that I return to the others.

Using Detect Magic (Sp), of course, concentrating to full effect. I can concentrate and move around using it, and it's spell-like, so it won't look too suspicious. Assuming modern real-world building standards, that fifth floor should be about 40 ft. up, less if the rooms are more cramped than 9 ft. ceilings (then again, they may want to accommodate the larger races comfortably too if they don't make specific housing for them, so idk), so the 60 ft. cone should hopefully be able to cover a bit of the depth of the room counting from the wall, especially if you find it sensible to let it emanate from some more elevated part of me than the soles of my feet.

@Rolep: So, basically we can't keep an eye on every exit without surrounding the building, correct? Not that it matters, since we don't know how the presumed thief/thieves look (or if it/they even exist), or how our sought-after item looks for that matter. It could be as small as a fly or as large as the room it's in for all we know, I'm just hoping I recognize it as a blessed mirror if I happen to see it.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter because I assume the mirror has already been moved before we arrived :smalltongue:.

@Sciffy: I still don't know exactly what outlandish freak of a colour you are using! Grrr! :smallannoyed:

Sciffy
2013-11-01, 05:54 PM
[color=#FCC200] its this one ololol #FCC200 one of the ones you suggested =p

She nods

I don't think there will be... She hesitates

I mean... She suddenly goes quiet

I don't know why I was chosen.. Luna is the warrior..

She pets Luna and smiles at her. Luna is happily sitting and jogging along next to Freya.

Rolep
2013-11-02, 02:45 AM
OOC

So, basically we can't keep an eye on every exit without surrounding the building, correct? Not that it matters, since we don't know how the presumed thief/thieves look (or if it/they even exist), or how our sought-after item looks for that matter. It could be as small as a fly or as large as the room it's in for all we know, I'm just hoping I recognize it as a blessed mirror if I happen to see it.
You're correct.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't matter because I assume the mirror has already been moved before we arrived :smalltongue:.
Maybe...maybe not...

Lynn feels a moderately powerful magical aura emanating from the room beside the target, whose door is rotting on its hinges and chipped from overuse. No other effects permeate your supernatural vision.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-02, 11:41 AM
Interesting... but not necessarily of any relevance.

As we return to the others, I share what little intelligence we have obtained.

"With some luck, the room is single and only has one exit... if it's not, we can't hope to cover all possible exits without stationing three of us all around the building."

"Oh... I'm not sure if this is important, but there is a significant magical aura in the neighboring room... if they are connected, it could be some kind of a trap... I thought you might want to know, just in case."

OOPWER
2013-11-02, 06:42 PM
I take in the new information, and reply:

"Well, we all know traps are bad. We should split up. Lynn and I will investigate this source of magic and deal with it. You three take the target. Are we agreed?"

Changed "inspect" to "investigate". Seemed more appropriate.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-03, 09:29 AM
"I most certainly do not... we have no idea what in responsible for that aura, it might be the item we are looking for, but it could just as likely be something entirely unrelated, and if it is, we have no right to break into someones home to find out... I can't even tell if it's the only magical aura from down here."

alanek2002
2013-11-03, 09:40 AM
Rekis

"At this point, if we stand here arguing for much longer, they will leave and see us here outside." I say, slowly moving forward, and starting to carefully climb the stairs.

OOPWER
2013-11-03, 11:41 PM
I shrug.

"If that's what you think about it."

I walk over to the neighboring door, where Lynn indicated the magical aura was emanating, and stretch a little bit.

OOC
Getting ready to kick down the door, yeah buddy!

Sciffy
2013-11-04, 03:45 AM
Freya quietly says as Invictus walks to the nieghbour's door

I don't think that's a good idea..

Rolep
2013-11-06, 02:28 AM
Invictus: You hear something behind the door where you're standing click, just loud enough to hear, like a lock being released, or a trap being primed.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-06, 08:34 AM
As Invictus walks over to stand by the neighbouring door rather than by Rekis, rather annoyed I whisper loudly at him:

"I may not immediately run over and attract the attention of the Guard, but don't expect me to back you up."

I back off a bit from the base of the stairs as well, trying not to look too affiliated with the burglar.

OOPWER
2013-11-06, 03:45 PM
I carefully signal Lynn and the rest of the party to shush with a finger on the lips, and gently lay my head against the battered door and try to hear if there is anything inside.

[roll0]

The dice are not with me in this medium :smallfrown:.

MegaNerd2
2013-11-06, 04:10 PM
"Let us just do what we came here to do," I try not to sigh as I speak, glancing around at the others. It would have been so much easier to do this alone. I draw my longsword, holding it easily in my hand.

Rolep
2013-11-06, 04:33 PM
Invictus, as your head comes into cntact with the door, you hear a muffled rustle. The door crumbles into grey shards as a hand reaches through and places itself upon your shoulder. You feel your limbs freeze up and go stiff, refursing to respond to your inpulses, and a gnome appears in the doorway, clad in undergarments and bearing a sword resting on his shoulder, supported by a muscly left arm. His voice calls out with the slur of the drunk.
"What do you want here? I ain't got nothing for you. What you looking for?"
His questions are directed at the crowd at the bottom of the steps. Invictus's frozen eyes look into the room, where a dull glow emanates from just beyond his line of sight, concealed by a protruding cabinet crafted of polished and enchanted elm.

Sciffy
2013-11-06, 04:39 PM
Freya's face turns to surprise at the scene in front of her

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-06, 05:46 PM
Not expecting either of the girls to respond to the question, and not feeling very keen on doing so myself, I wait to see if Rekis, who after all is closer, chooses to answer the gnome.

OOPWER
2013-11-06, 07:12 PM
I straighten myself out, shaking the dust from the front of my shirt. Presenting the best front I can, I answer:

"My apologies, my good sir. My employer has heard that there has been some trouble concerning his stock in this area, and I was merely performing a routine check of this particular alley. May my friend and I come in and look around?"

Praying I don't have to, but should I roll something? He's drunk, so he's likely to believe anything I say, but... y'know, I figured I'd ask. Also, I'm specifying if a friend can enter so Lynn (who at this point in time is the only person I'm aware that is familiar with magic) can enter with me and we can determine if this gnome and his magic item(s?) is a threat.

Rolep
2013-11-07, 02:26 AM
OOC
@OOPWER: You'd need to roll a persuasion check, but as it happens...
Invictus: You try to move your mouth, but no sound comes out. Your muscles are locked in place, and you cannot move.
The gnome peers over the rail and looks to the trio below, and along to where Rekis is standing, about ten feet along the raised walkway.
"Well? Why you here?"

Sciffy
2013-11-07, 02:37 AM
So..sorry, wrong door. We want this one

She points to the stairs

Could you release him please, sir

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-07, 04:27 AM
Impressed and somewhat inspired by Freya's courage, I turn toward the gnome and chime in:

"Yes, as you can see our... associate... is a blunt instrument at best, he must have misunderstood our objective. We promise to shorten his longe in the future if you would be kind enough to release him."

@Rolep: If you want interaction rolls for this, pick your choice from the post below (not bothering trying to get rolls in the same posts as other stuff, can't preview or edit or do anything right).

Oh, and... not trying to fish for information about the specific effect Invictus is suffering from, so please don't tell, but in the general case, will you roll saving throws for our characters, hidden? I am only asking since it could potentially raise issues in conjunction with certain choice-based abilities like most rerolls (not mine) and reactive immediate actions (like Invictus's Moment of Perfect Mind).

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-07, 04:30 AM
Skill check rolls, apply as you see fit (I myself see it as trying to convince the gnome to release our friend, but you might think otherwise, so I added the "convince him of the highly elaborate lie" roll as well):
Persuasion: [roll0]
Deception: [roll1]

Sciffy
2013-11-07, 05:07 AM
persuasion: [roll0]

Rolep
2013-11-07, 06:26 AM
I will roll for you when effects are not under your control, such as saving throws & any rolls that you need to make when it is not your turn; when they are your actions, such as attacks, skill checks & caster level checks, you will roll.

EDIT: Please note that the above ruling only applies when you are unable to alter the roll/block the attack through special abilities/whatever.

Also, my notes are currently unavailable to me, so I may not be able to answer all your questions/make certain actions/reactions.
He considers your words for a second, then slowly nods.
"Yes...yes, I suppose that makes sense. I'll let your dullard go, but don't try anything."
He grips his sword tighter and grimaces, then waves his hand. Invictus feels his muscles loosen and his brain regain control.

My friend, who has a dirty mind, is laughing at the end of this post.:smalltongue:

alanek2002
2013-11-07, 06:48 AM
Being in front of the door, I try to make no noise, but look thankfully at the gnome. Then I look sadly at the Dullard, my gaze full of disappointment.

Eye Sign language FTW!

Rolep
2013-11-07, 02:13 PM
The gnome returns Rekis's look with a nod, then pauses for a second, his head tilted slightly upwards, and backs through his doorway. The door reappears, and through it can be heard the faintest of thuds, and perhaps a clink of steel or glass.

Sciffy
2013-11-07, 02:15 PM
Freya sighs with relief

OOPWER
2013-11-07, 04:01 PM
I stand still for a moment, the shrug and laugh aloud.

"Hah! Who would've guessed eh? Magic door!"
I stride down to the target door.

What are your rules on breaking down doors? If you don't have any special, I'll just attack the door (After everyone else moves, maybe.).

Rolep
2013-11-07, 04:15 PM
The rules on breaking and entering are on pages 165-167 of the PHB. Baically, either pick lock, burst open or break.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-07, 05:21 PM
Seeing as it is unlikely that this question will be answered by a DMG or similarly heavy book swung at my head, and that it is the kind of question that begs to be asked...

...are the hinges on the outside (as is common, as it lets the door swing outwards to better be able to utilize the space inside), or are they not (hinges on the inside, recessed into the wall, no hinges at all...)?

Rolep
2013-11-08, 02:29 AM
are the hinges on the outside (as is common, as it lets the door swing outwards to better be able to utilize the space inside), or are they not (hinges on the inside, recessed into the wall, no hinges at all...)?
Since, as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter, as far as the rules are concerned, they are in a magically stabilized superposition on both sides of the door, so when it opens inwards the superposition breaks so that they appear on the inside and when it opens outwards the superposition breaks so that they appear on the outside. In truth, only fancy doors have that!:smallbiggrin: A more normal door like this one will have its hinges on the outside for the reason that you state (the rooms are quite small).

alanek2002
2013-11-08, 08:54 PM
Rekis
I shrug, and knock, stepping to the side as I do so. opposite side from invictus, hopefully moving ten feet. (Out of AOO range) Knock first, Then act like a common thug. It makes us look better.

OOPWER
2013-11-08, 11:15 PM
Taking Rekis's example, I take a step to the side of the target door, hand on my blade.

Rolep
2013-11-09, 06:36 AM
alanek2002 & OOPWER, remember that (unless I'm mistaken) the others are at the bottom of a flight of stairs (effective distance 75 feet that is impossible to run or charge up). The door is 5 feet along the balcony from the top of the stairs, and the others are at least 5 feet from the bottom of the stairs. Basically, they cannot reach you for melee aid in one round.

The seconds stretch and warp as the echoes of the knock fade to echoes and dust. A light breeze drifts lazily down the alley, ignorant of the figures whose hair it snags. No sound breaches the sturdy wood, and the door remains frozen still.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-09, 11:16 PM
I wait patiently.

Let the hotheads handle this.

alanek2002
2013-11-09, 11:28 PM
I cough suggestively at Invictus. Knock again, I try to convey.

Hey, my brashness was thought out and logical, for my purposes.

OOPWER
2013-11-10, 02:47 AM
I shrug, then grin widely as I give the door a kick-in.

Expend Psionic Focus for +2 Strength and Dexterity.
[roll0]
Let us pray to the lords of dice...

Rolep
2013-11-10, 04:16 AM
Creaks and groans escape the wood and it bends before your body. The wood begins to splinter and crack, but the door holds its post, refusing to give in.

OOPWER
2013-11-10, 04:34 AM
I take a step back, and kick the door again.

Darn my stats are really mediocre. Oh well.
[roll0]

Rolep
2013-11-10, 04:44 AM
A chip of wood flies past your face, but the door remains intact.

Sciffy
2013-11-10, 04:58 AM
"Shouldn't we try the handle?" Freya says to Lynn

OOPWER
2013-11-10, 05:24 AM
Grinning, I mutter under my breath,
"Tough little door. Third time's the charm they say."

[roll0]

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-10, 05:31 AM
I reply rather quietly to Freya, as not to disturb the brutes up the flight of stairs in their work:

"I'm curious how long it takes our new friends up there to do so by themselves."

alanek2002
2013-11-10, 01:41 PM
At the first attempt, I facepalm. At the third, I snicker.

OOPWER
2013-11-10, 11:44 PM
I turn to Rekis and say,

"You do it then."

Hope alanek gets better more results than I did.

alanek2002
2013-11-11, 06:42 PM
First, I try the door knob, as a courtesy. Then, if it doesn't open, I try to open it twice.

[roll0]
[roll1]
note: the doorknob thing is OOC inspired by the two on the ground not helping. But Rekis wanted Invitus to knock, not smash.

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-11, 07:39 PM
"I guess I will have to go join them if we are to make any progress".

I briskly jog up the stairs, pausing halfway to cast Virtue on myself, reaching the door just in time to switch places with Rekis.

I may not have a better chance than any of the two who already tried, but I seem to be luckier rolling so far, so we'll see where this goes. I guess we can just take turns pounding at the door, something ought to happen eventually. Or someone takes 20, but that's cheating.

Stength checks:
[roll0]
[roll1]

alanek2002
2013-11-11, 09:49 PM
"Eh, Screw it." I say "Acid splash." I say forcefully, pointing at the hinges. A small amount of acid jumps from my finger, and strikes the top hinge!

Assuming I can hit a non moving target directly in front of me.
Damage: [roll0]

Rolep
2013-11-12, 10:54 AM
Neither Lynn nor Rekis can open the door by brute force, and when Rekis tries to dissolve the hinge, the metal does little more than hiss and roughen slightly on the surface.

EDIT: The handle refuses to turn in Rekis's hand.

Sciffy
2013-11-12, 11:05 AM
Freya and Luna join the others on the walkway, looking on at the struggle to break in.

"Have you tried the handle?"

TheDragonmaster
2013-11-14, 05:51 PM
Letting Rekis answer the quip himself if he wants to, I ignore Freya for now and tell the others to help me break down the door:

"You two help me get this over with, and put your backs into it this time."

Taking 20 on the Strength check I get 22 before bonuses from Aid Another or circumstance modifiers.

I might need that +4 since the building regulations for this place is starting to seem a bit stricter than the shoddiness of the area implied at first glance (and yes, I know, it's not the poor part of town, it's the bad part of town... huge difference).

OOPWER
2013-11-14, 11:45 PM
"Yeah, yeah."

Helping Lynn with the door.

Rolep
2013-11-15, 04:30 AM
I'm posting now to speed this along a little. Anyone who wants to can be assumed to have moved to or away from the door during the two minute interval. Remove your name from the list at the beginning of the second paragraph if you are not at the door when it is burst open.

I might need that +4 since the building regulations for this place is starting to seem a bit stricter than the shoddiness of the area implied at first glance[...]
To be fair, your rolls we pretty meh (not bad, but not able to break down anything better than a badly repaired or rotting door).

The door crashes inwards, sending flakes of wood flying like a scattered cloud of flies. They land on the walkway and sit their, staring at you folornly as light washes over them and passes, filtered and pale into the room. Even before it arrives you can feel the stench: that all-too-familiar tang of rotting meat that you know spells dead flesh. A second cloud, this time of real flies, cringes backwards in the sun's gaze and rises into the air like a cloak being removed, revealing the bloodied, disfigured, goblinoid face. Its blood sits, crusted and flaked, upon the walls and the splintered, torn remains of bedsheets & furniture, which are piled against the sides of the walls like a barrier. A lamp lies discarded on the floor by the door, its oil in a concealed puddle by its base.

As Lynn, Anya & Luna notice a small movement out of the corner of their eye. Shadows are moving within the wall of debris.

Initiative checks for you and foes. During the surprise round, only Lynn, Anya, Luna & the foes can act.
Foe1: [roll0]
Foe2: [roll1]
Anya: [roll2]
Rekis: [roll3]
Lynn: [roll4]
Invictus: [roll5]
Freya: [roll6]
Luna: [roll7]

Rolep
2013-11-15, 04:40 AM
There is one shadow to each side, and before you can react one bursts out from behind the barrier with a wordless grunt of effort, driving the point of a long, thin blade towards Lynn. The blade find the gap in her armour beneath her arm and drives in deep. The creature's goblinoid face lets out a wide smile of delight as muscles shift beneath her shirt of chainmail.

Lynn, you take 11(!) damage.
Also, here is some info about the terrain:
The doorway is 5 feet wide (quite big for a door), and the goblin woman is standing directly inside it. Lynn, having just burst the door, is standing just outside, with Invictus and pssoubly others standing next to her. The other shadow is about ten feet into the room behind a protective screen of wood.

Sciffy
2013-11-17, 05:22 PM
Luna reacts instinctively from the many occasions on the street protecting Freya. She leaps forward teeth bared and growling, biting at the goblins leg.

[roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Sciffy
2013-11-17, 05:27 PM
Free trip if the attack hits [roll0]

Rolep
2013-11-18, 03:31 AM
The goblin let's out a shriek of pain as Luna's fangs sink through leather and skin, spraying a plume of red blood over her fur and Lynn nearby. With a tug, she sends the goblin sprawling on the floor, twisting the leg at an unnatural angle.

MN2's turn now.

Rolep
2013-12-02, 12:36 PM
Anya was advancing up the stairs while the door was being removed, and now that she sees the threat she decides to pour her effort into disposing of it. Gathering the dormant power within her, she directs her eldritch energies at the concealed shadow.

Attack: [roll0]
If it hits, damage: [roll1]
Will edit post with results.

EDIT: The blast smashes through the debris, catching the other goblinoid shadow in what the energy's glow reveals to be his torso. He staggers and wobbles on his bare feet, grasping a long wooden pole for support as his other hand tries to staunch the steady flow of blood falling from his chest.

MORE EDIT: The rear goblin falls back into the wreckage, pulling it over him like a crude shield. The near goblin tries to stagger to her feet, clumsy on her damaged leg.

The front goblin prokokes AoOs from Luna and Lynn. Rekis's turn.

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-02, 06:59 PM
Since our Foe acted, and it is now Rekis' turn, does that mean Lynn is:

A) Confused (or Insane) and lost her action (to a concealed roll)?
B) Confused (or Insane) and DM action resolved her action silently?
C) Cowering?
D) Dazed?
E) Dead?
F) Fascinated?
G) Frightened and DM action moved her silently?
H) Helpless (including Paralyzed, Held, bound, sleeping, and Unconscious)?
I) Panicked and DM action moved her silently, as above?
J) Petrified?
K) Stunned?
L) Turned (somehow)?
M) Or does it mean her Initiative count was changed during the earlier parts of the turn?
N) Or even that she was taken out of the battle in some other way (maybe she was plane shifted away) silently?

alanek2002
2013-12-03, 10:12 AM
Rekis

I point at the heavily wounded goblin, and say: "Magic Missile!" A bolt of magical force leaps from my finger, and strikes the goblin heavily!

With no response to dragonmaster, I'm posting what rekis will do on his turn, regardless.

Damage: [roll0]

Rolep
2013-12-03, 11:00 AM
This is what happens when you are tired, non-clinically depressed, out of it and DMing: you confuse yourself into thinking that Lynn has already gone. Since it doesn't make much diffrence in this case, I'm going to say that she goes just before Rekis.

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-03, 07:26 PM
It does matter, as Lynn is moving away before the goblin provokes attack of opportunity... except it doesn't... as she did not threaten the goblin's space in the first place, since she did not have her weapon drawn, having just used her sword hand to assist "opening" the door.

What could matter, however, is that the result of Luna's AoO against the goblin could affect Rekis' action. Then again, I have no idea which goblin he blasted ("the heavily wounded goblin" could refer to any of the two, as they are both described in ways that seem to indicate rather serious injury, and (meta) they both have sustained the same amount of damage (pre-Luna-AoO)), so I can't tell for sure if it does either.

No matter for me though, Lynn's action was pretty much decided earlier, as described in the OoC thread.

To compensate for the large time since my last actual post, I'll insert some artificial drama into this otherwise idyllic scene in an attempt to get the narrative back to where it should be (I promise I won't over-dramatize things quite this much for no reason very often).

The lack of a "thought"-part of the post is because Lynn's thoughts these short moments are strictly non-lingual.
Lynn shrieks out briefly in agony as the goblin's blade pierces her side, and her eyes reveal a hint of terror as she feels her lung collapse.

Calling upon all of her resolve, she regains her poise enough to back away from her assailant, grasping her wound, barely even noticing the spray of blood across her face as the goblin is downed. Quickly and with an air of desperate determination she performs the well-practised words and gestures to channel the divine power vested in her into mending the ruptured tissue.

So, to clarify, Lynn takes a 5-foot step backwards diagonally, preferably placing her half behind one of the two other humanoid members of the wrecking crew, or Luna if that is not possible (the specific positioning is still not completely clear, but that is fine I guess).

She then expends her prepared Comprehend Languages to spontaneously cast Cure Light Wounds on herself.

Hit Points healed: [roll0]

Rolep
2013-12-04, 02:54 AM
After Luna's AoO is rolled, I'll detail the effects of it and Rekis's spell.
Lynn, you feel a tingling itch as the tissue knits itself together. The pain weakens to a dull throb, and your breathing feels normal.

Sciffy
2013-12-04, 04:05 AM
As the goblin stands Luna attempts to keep it down, snarling and biting.
bite [roll0]

Damage [roll1]

Trip if attack hits [roll2]

Rolep
2013-12-04, 01:00 PM
Luna's teeth grate against the maille and pierce the toughened leather, but they fail to break through the goblin's armour. She shakes her waist where Luna is holding on to her, as the wolf's teeth lose their grip. Staggering to her feet, she brings up her bloody rapier just as the ball of energy leaps from Rekis's fingertips. It strikes her in the jaw, sneding her body staggering back onto the floor as her chin hangs from her face. Her chest still moves, but only barely.

[roll0]

EDIT:Luna's turn.

Sciffy
2013-12-05, 01:06 PM
Luna bears her teeth growling holding her ground for now.

She holds her turn until after Freya or if an enemy actively attacks. I assume the other one is still hiding behind cover?

Rolep
2013-12-06, 02:37 AM
Anya conjures energies to her hand and points at the concealed goblin threateningly, letting her silent stare meet the goblin's terror. It burrows deeper, whimpering and sobbing.

Anya readies an EB against the goblin moving out of cover or attacking. Freya's turn.

Sciffy
2013-12-08, 06:37 PM
Freya is shocked by the sudden outburst of violence and blood. She stares opened mouthed in horror as Lynn is pierced by the blade and blood pours from her wound. She stands stock still staring at everyone. Luna continues to bare her teeth and growl.

Freya does nothing on her turn. Luna takes the guard action so will attack an enemy if they come close to threatening her or someone near (she's holding her turn until after that enemy has gone or until Freya commands her)

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-09, 03:43 AM
EDIT: Post was retconned away.

I regain my composure and take a deep breath.

That was highly unpleasant.

I move back right inside of the door, unsheathing my scimitar doing so.

That is, Lynn moves inside the door opening and sidesteps to the right, as not to block line of sight for her partners in crime (Move Action), while drawing her weapon (free with the move as she has +1 BAB).

If I (and consequently Lynn) misread the situation and the downed Goblin is still conscious enough to take a stab at Lynn while she moves past, somewhat startled she will try to remedy that situation by bashing said Goblin with her shield (as a Standard Action). In that case, ignore the rest of the post.

+3 Shield Bash (1d4+2 / 20 x2)

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Relevant only if the above attack roll was a natural '20'.

Confirmation Attack Roll: [roll2]
Additional Critical Damage: [roll3]
I then attempt to stare down the hiding Goblin, bellowing at it in the most commanding voice I can muster:

"Surrender yourself and your weapons, and you may yet live to see another day."

Demoralizing the hitherto unscathed Goblin (Standard Action). Hopefully in more than one sense (as it seems we have a lot to work with already in the way of scaring it out of its mind), but the statistical sense is good enough if not.

Persuasion: [roll4]

EDIT: The difference in formatting between ROLL and ROLLV is strange... I don't get why, for ROLLV, the individual dice rolls are bold and the sum isn't, rather than the other way around (which would have been consistent with ROLL).

Either way, in case you didn't notice, I suggest rolling Attacks and Saving Throws, but not Checks and other Rolls, with ROLLV to allow easy distinction of '1's, '20's, and Critical Threats (and rolling for Critical Hits whether they happen or not, just like other secondary effects of attacks, of course also helps keep the post count down).

Rolep
2013-12-09, 11:09 AM
Just as Lynn steps forward and opens her mouth, the wall brhind the cowering goblin shatters, sending shards of wood and plaster everywhere and the goblin, shrieking, onto the floor. The drunken gnome stands in the hole.
"Right, what'sh 'appening 'ere? You're dishturbing me! Don'che know I'm a member o' the Guard? Huh?

It's still Lynn's go, because this occured before she moved. Then it's Invictus.

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-09, 01:14 PM
Not a lot of sound-proofing in these compartments, is there?

Well, since this happens before Lynn gets to act, she will most probably let someone else take care of the problem for the moment, like the Goblin closest to the sober Gnome... and I was liking how my skill check turned out and everything...
That gnome again? It's a wonder this building is still standing if he lives here...

I heal some of the residual injuries, then draw my scimitar, staying outside the door in case the drunkard decides to do something unpredictable.

Lynn expends a prepared Amanuensis to spontaneously cast Cure Minor Wounds, healing herself 1 point of Damage.

Rolep
2013-12-10, 02:13 AM
Invictus's turn.

OOPWER
2013-12-11, 08:05 PM
I draw my sword, and carefully assume a fighting stance, taking a deep breath to center myself as I do so. Eyes open, I look for an opening.

Draw sword, move action to gain psionic focus (which I used earlier), assume Punishing Stance, hold action.

alanek2002
2013-12-11, 09:30 PM
Rekis

I take a deep breath and begin explaining.

"We were hired to see whether or not a stolen mirror was here. I was informed and hired for this through the magic college, Lynn was informed through her church, though I don't know about the others. Regardless, we aren't random thugs attempting to rob this place. We tried to knock, to which we recieved no answer, or indication anyone was inside."

I pause and take a breath, continuing. "Yes, we knocked the door down. However we, or at least I would have paid for damages to the door if we were proven false. Once the door was down, we were ambushed. We fought back, and healed some wounds. And then you brought down the wall."

Attempting to diffuse the situation without violence, first. And yes, I would have left money for the door if it was a wrong door. (If I remembered that doors aren't free.) Its what good characters do, ya' know. :smallbiggrin:
Diplomacy check, if needed. [roll0]
If charisma, same roll applies. (no points in diplomacy, figures.

Rolep
2013-12-12, 11:30 AM
"So yer sayin'," he begins, pondering over your words, "is that this scum attacked ye? If ye want, I'll take care of 'em for ye. Just keep quiet. My head's hurting." He stumbles over to the goblin with the broken jaw and grabs her by the neck. She doesn't not make a sound, hanging limply in his hand. "What d'ye say?"

Since Rekis's persuasion used up his turn, it's Luna's go.

Rolep
2013-12-17, 01:37 AM
Oops, didn't notice that Luna was delaying, and I've been so busy tat it just slipped my mind! Anyway, to easy the roleplay, I'm going to tell initiative to *** off. Anyone who wants to speak can speak.

Sciffy
2013-12-17, 06:58 PM
Freya recovers from her shock. Tentatively moving to Luna she spots the gnome from before inside. She gasps putting a hand to her mouth the other to her chest when her eyes move onto the goblin on the floor.

She whispers ""Oh gods.." and then with a realisation she turns her head to Lynn and her eyes lower to the wound.

"Are you hurt?"

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-17, 09:50 PM
Without turning my head I try to reassure Freya.

"I am fine, it was not as bad as it looked."

I turn my attention towards the gnome and speak up to make sure he hears me clearly in his semi-conscious state.

I'd better attempt to defuse this situation before it gets even more out of hand.

"That will not be necessary, we will make sure nothing bothers your serenity any more. The fallen one poses no further threat to us, and the other one..."

I point the tip of my sword at the still conscious goblin and the tone of my voice changes as I slow down somewhat, stressing each syllable for emphasis.

"...was just about to drop its weapon and surrender before we change our minds about letting it live."

I feel like a really bad writer for having to describe Lynn's voice all the time.

OOPWER
2013-12-17, 10:46 PM
I remain quiet, not sure if the gnome understands Rekis or Lynn, and remain at the ready.

Rolep
2013-12-18, 02:39 AM
I feel like a really bad writer for having to describe Lynn's voice all the time.
You're posts read just fine!
The gnome stops for a second, then cracks a crooked smile.
"As ye wish. Mind if I keep this one?"
He waves the dying goblin in his arms.
"The Bloody Bird always needs volunteers."
He tries to wink, but it throws his balance, and he stumbles back through the gap in the wall. He walks towards the door, singing a tuneless tune about a tavern wench on the steppes, before the cities were raised.

TheDragonmaster
2013-12-18, 05:55 PM
Do we have any specific knowledge about what "The Bloody Bird" might refer to?

...or perhaps any qualified guesses based on the name itself?

The sentence is rather vague in describing the gnome's intentions, and Lynn would most likely have a better conscience about letting a fallen enemy be forced into conscription for a particularly ruthless branch of the guard, for example, than she would letting that same foe be sacrificed on the altar of a hedonistic god of blood and slaughter, completing a ritual that spells the end of the world.

Rolep
2013-12-19, 01:03 AM
Do we have any specific knowledge about what "The Bloody Bird" might refer to?

...or perhaps any qualified guesses based on the name itself?

The sentence is rather vague in describing the gnome's intentions, and Lynn would most likely have a better conscience about letting a fallen enemy be forced into conscription for a particularly ruthless branch of the guard, for example, than she would letting that same foe be sacrificed on the altar of a hedonistic god of blood and slaughter, completing a ritual that spells the end of the world.
You know that it is the name of someone important in the Guard, but beyond that you know nothing.

TheDragonmaster
2014-01-02, 08:51 PM
I'll take the bullet of being overtly cliche to achieve almost nothing. Also, I'm not at this point fully aware of the gender of the second Goblin, so I'll keep to the neutral third person singular personal (oblique, here accusative, case) pronoun present in the English language, "it".

I reserve the right to make horrifyingly severe errors while trying to translate grammatical terms from my native tongue to the bastard child of all Indo-European (and a handful of Afro-Asiatic) languages.
I walk over next to the Goblin sprawling on the floor, my blade kept trained at that same target, and stare it down, waiting in that stance until I no longer hear the Gnome stumbling about.

"Stay still and live."

Rolep
2014-01-03, 03:20 AM
I'll take the bullet of being overtly cliche to achieve almost nothing. Also, I'm not at this point fully aware of the gender of the second Goblin, so I'll keep to the neutral third person singular personal (oblique, here accusative, case) pronoun present in the English language, "it".
There's nothing wrong with cliche, as long as you don't overuse it (can you feel the irony in that?). The goblin is a he.

I reserve the right to make horrifyingly severe errors while trying to translate grammatical terms from my native tongue to the bastard child of all Indo-European (and a handful of Afro-Asiatic) languages.
That's fine. Enlgish has very few grammar rules, but the ones that it has are demonically complex.

The goblin stops burrowing into the debris, its eyes fixed against the point of Lynn's blade, but its mouth still flaps up and down like a fish on a hook, trying and failing to bite down on the words it wants to scream.

TheDragonmaster
2014-02-12, 10:33 PM
Long time, no see*.
* There actually is a "see"... see the OoC Thread.
I slowly kneel down over the goblin, pinning his shoulders to the floor under my knees. Trying to force him to meet my gaze, I lift up his chin with the flat of my blade, and talking slowly and deliberately, I invoke the goblin taboo:

"Look at me. Look me in the eye."

I then start asking questions, slowly and methodically interrogating the goblin, ever keeping my eyes fixed on his.

"Who are you? Who is your female associate... or was? Who was the dead goblin? Who are you working for? What were you here to do?"

What... is your name?
What... is your quest?
What... is your favourite colour?
I'll go through a couple of questions per post for the sake of convenience.

In case you'd like one, there's a skill check in the next post because the forum's 60-seconds-between-posts rule didn't interact with the roll command properly at all.

TheDragonmaster
2014-02-12, 10:35 PM
Persuasion: [roll0]

Rolep
2014-02-13, 02:09 AM
The goblin tries to twist his head away from Lynn's gaze, and shivers wrack his body. His mouth opens and closes, but nothing escapes. He sucks in a rattling breath, and lets out a panicked whimper.

"I'm nobody...Lost...She...she was...I don't know her...Sent with me...All I know..."

Squirming, his throat swallows several times, then a spark fades from his eyes, and he meets Lynn's gaze, devoid of resolve or hope. The babble of words spews from his mouth like a storm, nigh incomprehensibly fast.

"We were hired by a guy named Helm who met us an the Yew Skull inn and he's a member of the Cloak of Shadows and he likes cloaks so I never saw his face but I could tell that he's an aasimar and the brand on his hand marks him as working under a goliath named Ink who I know nothing about other than that he is a high-up in the order and we were sent here to kill you so you couldn't follow his trail and by his I mean Helm's because you might find out something but I don;t know what pelase don;t kill me please please please...

He slumps against the ground, hyperventilating and shaking.

TheDragonmaster
2014-02-15, 09:53 AM
Does any of the names seem familiar? Does the prospect of finding a named inn without asking for directions seem likely?

Also, apart from mental trauma, is the goblin hurt in any way (say, from being thrown to the ground and all that jazz)?
I hush the goblin softly, patting his head with my free hand, though still pinning him to the ground under my greater weight, blade held against his throat. I lower my voice to a loud whisper and lean my face closer to his.

"Shhh... everything is going to be all right, as long as you tell me everything."

I continue asking questions, slower than before.

"The corpse... who was that? Did you arrive here with Helm, or after him? How tall is he? How is he built? What shade are his wings? What colour is his hair? What shade is his complexion? Which hand is the brand on, and what does it look like?"

EDIT: Wow, that turned out way creepier than I originally intended it to. Not that it's not generally what I'm going for here, even though I'd never hurt the goblin.

Rolep
2014-02-16, 03:15 AM
The gobliin blinks, flinching away from Lynn's touch.

"I dunno who the corpse was cos we were told to kill him so we did. We weren't here with Helm, I swear. Heck, I dunno whether he was even here at all. Helm's tall and slim, you know, like how an angel should be, but his wings are faded grey like old hair or that...tht shade that corpses go after they're drained but before the mould sinks in. His hands were pale, but I couldn't see his face, so his hair could be anything. Must have been short though; otherwise it would have hung out of his hood. His brands was on his left hand, but I didn' pay attention to the markings. No reason to."

He shifts his head from side to side, eyes sweeping the room, as if looking for something, though he doesn't sseem to find it.

Lynn recognises the name of the Yew Skull inn, and knows roughly what area of town it is in (the raised plateau in the east, where the walls of the inner city come close to the edge of the mesa), but she doeds not recognise the names.

TheDragonmaster
2014-03-02, 10:29 PM
Not entirely satisfied with that last answer, I softly move the goblins chin so his face faces mine directly and stare him right into the eyes. I force a bit of an edge into my voice this time, trying to regain his complete attention.

"I told you to look at me!"

Slightly softer:

"How do you know what the brand signifies if you didn't pay any attention to it? Remember, everything will be all right..."

Deliberate, slightly harsher:

"...only as long as you tell me everything."

Rolep
2014-03-03, 11:17 AM
The goblin balks under Lynn's stare.

"It was the other guy, you know, the one you just killed. He was telling me before you came. There ain't much to do, just sitting and waiting for someone to show up. He got a nice good look when he was making sure the guy was genuine. But he's dead now. You killed him. Please! I don't know any more, I swear!"

TheDragonmaster
2014-03-03, 12:56 PM
You must excuse me for being confused, but it's been a long time, so I might need some clarification. Which of the following seem (to Lynn, of course) to be the more likely subject the goblin is referring to as "he":

1. The goblin who was already dead when we arrived?
OR
2. The other goblin we fought (who we thus mistook as female)?

Rolep
2014-03-03, 12:58 PM
Apologies for the typo! It should be 'she'. not 'he'.:smallredface: And thus the goblin is referring to the female goblin you killed.

TheDragonmaster
2014-03-05, 08:01 PM
I can not recall any female goblin we have killed... one we injured badly yes; one whose limp, mangled body we sent away to be defiled in dark, unmentionable rituals yes; but one we killed? No, that does not quite ring a bell.

Rolep
2014-03-07, 10:58 AM
'Killed' was a bad term, sorry. 'Left on the brink of death' would be more appropriate.

TheDragonmaster
2014-03-20, 06:57 AM
"Your associate is not dead yet... but soon she might wish she was. All you need to concern yourself about right now though, is you. Let me tell you what is going to happen:"

"We are going to let you run, and you will run. You will run all you can, and then you will hide; because when this Helm and his superior realize that you failed them, they will come looking for you, and they might not be so courteous."

Rolep
2014-04-06, 06:16 AM
This thread is dead (yay rhyming!)