PDA

View Full Version : This patch of sand.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 03:21 AM
Whilst the forest was not cool, before you truly understand your situation you know that the temperature here is rather hot.

Looking around, Dezered notes that he is in a desert, and everyone else is yet to act, looking around in stunned shock, you note mountains to the north in the blurry distance.

OOC: Roll spot.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 03:38 AM
Coming to realize how close to his divine patron he was has made Dezze regain a percentage of his habitual flair. But a moment passes where everyone is in chaos and finding their own footing, including the wizard, but as soon as he gets on his own two feet he gazes for the horizon for clues to where they were dropped off.

OOC: [roll0] Like most good wizards I SUCK at spotting.
EDIT: At least not so much.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-16, 03:44 AM
Dez gains 1 rank in Forbidden Lore (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#knowledgeForbiddenLoreNone).
We are not using the Sanity rules however.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 03:47 AM
Looking around, you notice irregularities in the sand to the east. Running through you list of known races you come up blank and quickly point them out, and then you note a pair running towards the group lying down. They seem to shift uncomfortably.

Suddenly the captain shouts:
"Defensive formation, point bows down back ranks ready steel."
The group slowly turns to face, many caught between terrified and grimly determined.

Whilst you seem to have trouble remembering things around the teleportation for some reason, you seem to feel like you should wait.

OOC: Post even if its to say your waiting for the monsters to act first.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 03:56 AM
Dezered quickly shake offs the stupor of his brain and file his mind back into order. He turns to the captain and the Freedom Fighters, arms raised. "Don't shoot yet! Wait until they get into charging distance! If they are hostile, get them at point blank, otherwise let them come. They shall meet us no easy prey!"

OOC: Let me try an untrained command to give the captain this little insight in strategy.
Let him then order the men. [roll0]
EDIT: One day I will stop sucking. That day is not today...

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 04:00 AM
OOC: That was his plan anyhow, so that will count as a aid another. That failed.

Upon hearing you, one of the pair breaks off, and making some clicking noise a group of smaller creatures get up from the sand, the group beggins running back, not to far but quite fast... You doubt you could catch them in a race should it come down to it.

The other one though keeps running, but slows down to a pace that looks comfortable to him but is faster than most people could run. Soon he cries out in common-
"In Sid'Jax name don't shoot, didn't you hear him!"

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 04:06 AM
Thank you for that, Gaiyamato! The furthering of knowledge is another way of worshiping Sid'Jax that Dezered is also familair with. This is a true boon to him.

Surprise is clear in the wizards face. Where are them?

"You speak of Sid'Jax! Who are you and what portent brings you?!" He asks impatiently.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 04:12 AM
"Visions of things that come. Always vauge, I don't think they are truly his but..."

The creature slowly slows to a walk, his features now quite visable... He looks like most iconography of Sid'Jax, minus the banding and pair of heads... Unfortunately while religious you know not too much details wise about his worship, but you could easily call the creature a 'Mantis Man'.

"He said he needed me. Me of all people, to help you, a honour beyond compare... He said he needed to save you, and that he couldn't stay, and that he desired me to show you to a Oasis that we may talk..."

The creature slowly halts some 50ft away, it seems slightly tense, and to be taking in the large number of people...

Edit: OOC Note for Gaiy, A 4th level follower slot has just been temporarily filled... Wait, make that 6th acounting for LA.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-16, 04:35 AM
OOC: Noted. :smallsmile:

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 04:40 AM
Dezered can't believe his damned luck. To be blessed so much by the all-knowning god is ground-shaking. His people know nothing, nothing of the gods or what they do! Coming out of his mind, Dezze steps ahead, clearly the most pious man in the group and the most confident in this situation.

"Captain, tell your men to lower their guard. We are among friends here. If this noble entity is truly sent by Sid'Jax than we owe him our respect and gratitude, not hostility."

"You may call me Dezered." He now talks facing the alien looking insectoid 'mantis man'. "How should I address your honor, Baal Amin? And mostly important, where are we?"

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 04:54 AM
"This place is known as, the, Fallen-Mountain desert. South of the Frozen Mountain, directly so and not overly far as this is the northmost point."

The Thri-Kreen looks at his shoulder a moment.

"I thank you for lowering your weapons, please, come... I will guide you to one of the larger watering holes, but first. He asked, he said that you marched alongside another... 'Hundred', he want's to know their final destination? Apparently they may walk into a trap, and he wishes to spare the heartache."

Gaiyamato
2013-10-16, 05:01 AM
?? Hex #165?

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 05:38 AM
OOC: *nod*. The Mortals directions are skewed a little westward. Why?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-16, 06:00 AM
OOC: The problem with a 6 sides location having 4 compass directions. All you can get on a hex is north, nort-east, south-east, south, south-west, north-west. There is no true east or west.
The compass on the maps is literal.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 06:04 AM
OOC: There's a compass on the maps? I know as to the directions, I was misremembering and I've decided that the Thri-Kreen tribal's maps are shifted a little. Also, should I be being concerned?

Gaiyamato
2013-10-16, 06:09 AM
OOC: Concerned for what?

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 06:12 AM
OOC: Concerned for what?

OOC: The life expectancy of my follower + his family, as well as the 99 people I just saved? In any case, g'night, I'm about to collapse, don't kill me while I sleep.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 01:01 PM
IC: So they have met the darkness too. he ponders somberly. "Razak and the others. They went to Riva to raid the city for supplies and to rescue any survivors they find, much like us. It is mind boggling that the Empire can summon such a terrifying creature! How are we supposed to survive their uncaring onslaught if they use such an abomination to protect stale bread and dry meat?" Dezze realizes he is ranting in the presence of his insectoid friend and the Freedom Fighters and recomposes his unchecked indignation.

"I am sorry, I didn't catch your name. Who might you be that you know so much of Sid'Jax and the events of the north?"

OOC: I assume the thri-kreen will take us to an oasis or something where we won't take attrition, right? Also, since we are in never prior explored hex, can we send in scouts to search the area? If there is anything of value here that we can take, we should take.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 06:06 PM
OOC: The oasis is the IC explanation as to why you wont be needing resources because your a scout unit, but yes, we can do exploration soon.

IC:
The thing, does something with it's jaw... Smile maybe.
"I am Voice of Delera, it is a tittle for I have surrendered my name. I know nothing of the events of the north beyond which you and Sid'Jax have informed me, and as for Sid'Jax, he is our god. Is that not how you know of him, even though you share not his purity of form?"

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 06:23 PM
IC: Dezered feels a bit slighted by this commentary, but he realizes the petty of the feeling. "No, I... my people from the underground. They are hoarders of knowledge and magical power, but know nothing of the world outside their sheltered lives. I came to know of Sid'Jax through sacred texts of my family's personal vault and went on pilgrimage to understand more about His ways. In my search to understand His domains I came to pray through arcane might and to meditate through the study of magic, among other things. It has been an enlightening experience so far."

He turns to the friendly insectoid a tired expression on his face this time. "I am sorry if it is impolite, but I beg to ask; what is your people? I have seen depictions of the God of War in a similar form, but never had I encountered a name for it."

OOC: Kewl. I hope we don't lose anyone this time either.
Can I ask if we are gonna stay here for long, Erik? It's just that I saw a beautiful and virgin patch of land down to 237, 253 and 238 all the way across the desert. Colonizing there would be a nice break of pace. Perhaps become desert nomads ourselves. :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 06:31 PM
OOC: I wasn't planning on having you stay long, I was actually planning on having you move north back into the mountains and gathering some allies. However the the west [north/south unsure] there are more people, which you can find out. Of course, you can always look at his maps and decide to move away from the fighting.

"It is a fine question, us and our brothers underground are both uncommon. We are the Thri-Kreen, though very very few are blessed with the second head. However let us walk together unless you would rather wait for night, the oasis is but a hour or two away."

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 06:45 PM
Realizing they tallied far too long already, Dezered hand waves the men to march after them in a loose formation (we don't need anyone dying of a heat stroke right now). He might not be the captain to this unit, but he is the best thing they have for a hope of getting out of here in one piece. Or so he has convinced himself. "Show us the way, Voice of Delera."

OOC: Oh, yeah, I thought about crossing the mountains. But it seems a pain and you know what; I really don't wanna fight the Dark Empire while they have freaking epics on their side.
Let the other powers deal with that ****, he is just a mortal wizard; he has **** to live for! Haha! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously now: I will wait for Razak's decision. If word of him never reaches us, I will split from the Rebellion to fund my own side. Survival will be my priority.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 07:52 PM
The Thri-Kreen nods it's head, and turns, shouting out some sort of clicking sound, which causes the other adult and children Thri-Kreen to turn and jog to the south.

"Well then, lets be off."

Voice of Delera turns, and begins to set off on a, what appears for his body, a walk. For you and your men though, it is a fairly brisk pace, making it rather clear that Thri-Kreens are a fair bit faster than humans.

Whilst his estimate was 1-2 hours, the more skilled survivalists in your group would put it at two and a half hours walking before you reach the oasis, it seems more like a small lake though, surrounded by a variety of trees and grasses, and a few birds.

The others had so far been rather quiet, all thinking to themselves, but they quickly spread out to make a temporary camp around the oasis.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 08:19 PM
Dezered has much to do now. His mind's gears are turning like the Chariot's wheels of fire, propelling him further. First, the men.

The wizard had called for the captain the moment the first tent was raised and greeted him the moment he saw the man's grim face. "Good afternoon captain. I know we are all very tired after this whole affair, but we can't walk blindly around the desert like this. The hospitality of the Thri-Kreen cannot be the foundation of our survival here in this inhospitable land. I need you to choose a handful of volunteers to scout the perimeter during the desert's cold night. Give them extra rations and all the warm clothing they can carry. The others should rest and eat as little as possible, it might be a while before we can restock in jerky and rations."

Before dismissing the captain, he says one more piece. "I'm truly sorry it has come to this. See if anyone knows the names of the men we lost today. We will give them a proper ceremony tomorrow, even if we can't bury their bodies. Thank you, that's all." It felt strange to assume control of the situation like that, but he had little choice.

He knew he should spend his time with the Thri-Kreen to learn more of their ways, but taking care of the men was his top priority right now.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 08:28 PM
"Aye Sir. It'll be a little while until noon approaches which will give us time to set up before having to stop, but once the sun starts heading down I'll look at getting some people to fish and organise scouts... Sir, a question. Sid'Jax, he's someone most of us give little more than lip service to with half remembered prayers, but he's saved us from this... Mess when Sophia seems to have looked the other way... You seem to know more of him and I was wondering, did you know any actual prayers?"

OOC: You do know a few basic ones, which you can choose to make up or I can produce.
Also, I think I need to come up with a name and proper font for the captain... He will now speak in Gray...
Also, I think a time skip will be fine after this response. Now to look at what I can put there.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 08:41 PM
OOC: A time skip is fine. We wait for Razak for a week, if word of him doesn't reach us I will confide in the Voice of Delera for directions.
Any name should do, the more mundane the best (he is after all, mundane at best).
And yeah, I think I can come up with one or two prayers. I will draw them from old Mesopotamyan and Phoenician poetry and from the Eldar of the 40k universe. It should be good.
Let's dedicate this unit to worshiping Sid'Jax. If we become an independent faction, my first move will be to create a temple! :smallbiggrin:

IC: He is not really surprised. The wizard had a sharp intellect and he knew many of the man here where not dumb, they had figured out something from that chaos. Doesn't mean Dezered isn't taken back by this; to be appointed as a religious guide. "I... Yes. Yes, I can. Just... reunite all of the men who wish to listen by the campfires tonight. I will be there shortly to share with them all I know." Him, an Imaskari, a priest of Sid'Jax. His family would surely despise the idea, but there was a pride swelling in the conjurer's chest that felt warm and rewarding.

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 09:09 PM
OOC: It's maybe a hour before 12PM/lunch in game, but I'll assume that you plan on leading them in prayer near sundown and before the scouts head off rather than lunch. Feel free to take your time with figuring out the prayers.

"I... Thank you. The names John Grey, if you need me." John turns smartly to continue organising the men.

It doesn't take too long to set up camp around the borders of the oasis, and everyone is glad it doesn't, the heat soon becoming sweltering as the suns rays pound against the desert floor. You note that you haven't seen Voice of Delara for a while, and are informed that he rests in the water.

After a few hours, the heat dies down to a much more bearable level, and a check through equipment reveals equipment that can quickly be converted to fishing gear, which a couple of soldiers begin using to catch fish from the oasis so as to supplement rations.

Near dusk but before your to lead prayer, you see the Voice again.
"I hear you are to lead prayer. It will be good to hear what those from beneath the earth have remembered, even if you are not our brethren. I've been told to let you know that some members from my tribe will be arriving sometime tomorrow, you may wish to alert any sentries."
He then turns and leaves you quickly and without another word nor chance to talk. Not to long after, a man comes by and gives you a note before running of, claiming he needs to go if asked, reading the note there are two names.
Horace Vent.
Norman Smith

As you go to the place set aside for it, you notice that to a man everyone is present, all sitting. The nights scouts are in front, eating some of the fish before dinner as they will be scouting, and you notice the Thri-Kreen seemingly appear out of nowhere, standing off behind you and to the left.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 10:07 PM
OOC: Thanks, that was exactly what I wanted.

Dezered is uncomfortable standing in front of so many and being the focus of attention. To relax, he closes his eyes and casts Detect Magic to look at the brazier in front of him where the fish had been fried, his eyes alight with red arcane brilliance. It's a minor but very effective trick to pick at the mind. Besides, he finds comforting in the effort of keeping concentration.

"Before we begin, I will address those of you who wonder what happened back in Vale. Sid'Jax saved us. There is no questioning that. He worked a miracle of such strength that sent our bodies across the realms to the other side of the frozen mountains! Without His intervention we would all be dead now, or worse. Give Him a place in your thoughts tonight, for you owe your life -your soul- to Sid'Jax. We all do." Dezered takes a long pause to give them some space to think, by the old custom of his people. He resumes some minutes later, his improved magical sight gone now.

"Be grateful, be faithful and be loyal. There is no better reward. Never forget what has been done for you, and unto you, and let that experience shape you. Give you strength."

"Now, kneel." he puts in coldly. "For those who are still unsure, or don't feel indebted enough, may remain where you are. Everyone else; KNEEL... And pray with me." The wizard humbly step down and kneel in the sand, dirtying his travelling clothes. He hold his own hands close to his face and close his eyes, deep in thought. His voice sounds like a chant of a spell, slowly growing, giving space for the others to follow his words if they wish to.

"War is our master.
None can escape the blazing embrace that is wrath. Don't run from it, burn within its fiery hearth.
Where others run, we burn.
Those a servant to cinders and ashes walk tall upon the blood stained ground. Those who shun it shall fall.
Where they fall, we stand tall.
Death come to us all, walking sacrifices to Sid'Jax. Every sacrifice emboldens the lord proud by contrasts.
Where to us all die,
we die knowing we are His and in His care we are free."

"For Horace Vent and Norman Smith that are with Sid'Jax today, we pray."

"Flesh burns, bones shatter, blood spilled will bring our better.
Should we fall, make you tall, give us rest in your magic hall.
Leave us not, upon the ground, to spoil and rot, men never found.
Should we fall, make you tall, pick us up and tell a pall.
Hurting pain, crying insane, will bring us closer into his name."

Erik Vale
2013-10-16, 11:31 PM
Most of those around you kneel with you, their voices raising with the prayer which cries through the night across the desert sands, their voices just a moment behind yours, some haltingly, others with all their voice.
But when you declare the prayer for Horace and Norman, almost to a man all join you in prayer, and mayhap all but one or two are on their knees half way through.

When you finish, a moment of silence follows, and the scouts rise, breaking off. Then you feel a claw upon your shoulder, it's rather similar but it doesn't bear the power you felt before, looking back you note it's the Voice.
You hear a whisper before he speaks up.
"Ours are rather similar, I would like to talk to you later as to your prayers."
He then steps forward beside you.
"I see reservation, and I know the feeling, I have seen it in ones fearing the violence in some of Sid'Jax's war and burial prayers, or who have been dedicated to another god previously. But for the scouts that travel now, let me lead you in one for protection."

Taking a pause for breath however.
-

Chilingsworth
2013-10-16, 11:44 PM
A voice can be heard by all present. A kind, female voice:

My Friends, I Acknowledge Sid'Jax's deed. I do not disapprove of him, as I know that war is sometimes necessary. He came to my aid when the Vile One attacked BelTran.

I consider him an ally against the Vile One. I will not reject those that turn to him. If some of you do chose him as a patron, I ask that you remain as one people. Support each other, for our faiths can complement eachother against the Darkness.

Baveboi
2013-10-16, 11:58 PM
IC: The Thri-Kreen's view on Sid'Jax was one thing Dezered awaited dearly to discuss, but the moment his curiosity would be partially sated was abruptly interrupted by the faint voice of another divinity. It was the other one, the one the people of BelTran worshiped when he arrived at the city some weeks ago. Sophia was her name, he believed.

Not holding any feelings for the goddess, Deze chose to remain silent and observe the awe and inspiration among those who did hold her dear at heart. He was, nonetheless, moved by this caring goddess show of selfless affection.

OOC: Chilling, you scared the **** out of me! I dreaded that you were gonna throw more epic monster onto our plate, but then I remembered you were playing Sophia. :smallbiggrin:

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 12:15 AM
Heh. Yeah, Sophia is pretty easy going. That, and I didn't have any idea this was going on. Sophia's been dealing with conflicts elsewhere, and trying to negotiate a favorable and fair divine compact, and trying to help the bulk of the refugees from BelTran. So, if a deity she doesn't disapprove of saves some of her followers, she wont get mad if they reward him for it.

Oh, also I'm running some sidequests, too. So between IC and OOC reasons, someone's going to slip through the cracks.

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 12:40 AM
The Voice seems somewhat stunned by the events, however in the crowd you can see one in particular beaming from his position on his knees.

"My friends. This is glorious news. Never before have the gods been so active, though I do know that it has been a rather mixed blessing... As a man of religion amongst those of these deserts where the mountains make rues, I know not just prayers to my patron Sid'Jax, but to the healer Sophia as well. So I ask, that we might all join in prayer for those we have lost and the scouts that go into the night, to both Sid'Jax who has saved you now, and Sophia who saved you before."

Whatever else you may have to say about the Thri-Kreen priest, he can think on his feet, however something in his tone makes you think he might be making up this prayer on the spot.
He doesn't know however, that this is a prayer that would be used many times in the coming year.

"She is our guardian, the hand upon us."

"He is our guide, showing the way."

"He brings us forward, to what we must know."

"She brings us back, to home cherished."

"He is the sword in our hand."

"She is the shield at our side."

"By his grace may we learn something new."

"By her grace, may we take it home safe."

This prayer is taken up by all and quite hole heartedly, even those who feared this was a time beyond man and his actions felt he had a place, and that he was watched, and that for once, all would be right.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 12:48 AM
The voice says nothing, but all present feel a strong, possibly overwhelming, sense of approval.

Nicely done with that prayer.:smallsmile:

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 01:13 AM
:smallbiggrin:
I thought it was appropriate.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 01:24 AM
IC: The events of this day are fated to be remembered throughout history, of that Dezered had no doubt. The warmth he felt filling his heart was the same down in the soul of everyone else. He relished this bond they all shared tonight. It was a special connection that would tie together these men forever. He wanted to partake in it, but he knew his place to be somewhere else. He turn to Voice with a smile. "Beautiful prayer, Baal Amin."

The wizard will spend the night talking to Voice of Delera over about the ways of Sid'Jax and his favored people of the Thri-Kreen. Deigning himself to sleep only when the last scout has made his way back and presented his report back. The next day he would make some important calls that would either doom or bless the Freedom Fighters, but tonight they may rest and partake in the warmth of each other's company.

OOC: Since we won't be doing anything else of importance, Erik, you can give me the report of what this hex contains and then we can discuss in OOC what to do of it. Hope Gaiya doesn't roll something like a nest of Basilisks or some such. Dezze would be royally pissed. :smallamused:

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 01:32 AM
OOC: Since we won't be doing anything else of importance, Erik, you can give me the report of what this hex contains and then we can discuss in OOC what to do of it. Hope Gaiya doesn't roll something like a nest of Basilisks or some such. Dezze would be royally pissed. :smallamused:

OOC: Eh ha ha ha, no. Nope I'm your GM and I'm rolling this [and potentially fudging away from 70HD titans] hex. Detailed reports to come soonish. Ok, longer than soonish, you will see it bump in your subscription thread.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-17, 01:35 AM
OOC: Actually 70HD titans would have, what at least a 33% chance of being a not so bad thing? (About 1/3 of them are Chaotic Good, right?)

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 01:39 AM
OOC: Actually 70HD titans would have, what at least a 33% chance of being a not so bad thing? (About 1/3 of them are Chaotic Good, right?)

OOC: Maybe normally, but in this world Ruin Swarms appear to be naturally sentient and geniuses, when they're supposed to just be very high HD vermin swarms.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 01:40 AM
OOC: Chilling, it's not the CG we worry about, it is the 33% of CE. :smallbiggrin:
Well, Erik, than please do roll away, but by the love of god, take in consideration I am the weakest character of this game! :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 01:45 AM
OOC: No, your tied with a Titan Bard. However you are accompanied by 98 level 1's which can use the Fields of Blood rules should they so desire, and are accompanied by a level 5 Thri-Kreen which has a ECL of 6, so you are perhaps 3rd weakest at the moment, counting for your boss.
Anyhow, commencing rolls next post.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-17, 02:45 AM
OOC:
The 70HD gestalt Titan is True Neutral and is currently asleep, and is likely to stay that way for a very very long time.

As for the Ruin Swarm - Hive Minds from Book of Vile Darkness. :smallwink:

I gave Erik the hex contents. I'll mark it as explored on the map. It is not going to be a huge issue.

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 03:32 AM
Slowly the scouts trickle back through the night as you converse with the Voice... Who doesn't seem to need to sleep.

Most have nothing to report, a few make note of a watering hole or a particularly large animal [A rather large scorpion causes The Voice to question the scout, but the most he seems to ignore]. The Third last to come in mentions spotting a camp, reporting that the tents seemed small however, and he thinks he heard yips, but not like those of dogs, he guesses kobolds to which the voice mentions some do wander the desert and occasionally come from the mountains.
The last to arrive comes back shortly after midnight.
The time spent talking and resting through the day will count as rest for the purpose of spell preparation, allowing you to prepare a full compliment of spells.

The Thri-Kreen exist as many tribes which band together in clan groups, though it is rare they do so for more than the occasional social gathering. Most tribes number around 15-20 'adults' [As they define it, closer to 30 for most] with normally 1/2 that again in children [or 100% as they define it].

For the most part they live a hunter-gatherer lifestyle using weapons of stone and wood, however their abilities make them more than enough for most that wield steel, as he is happy to boast. While most groups use tents while travelling some utilise burrows and natural caverns in the desert.

Individually, Thri-Kreen live rather ordered lives in close knit groups that seem almost family, their lives are guided by tradition passed down by years uncounted, and all are rather religious.

Whilst Thri-Kreen can gather into large groups when necessary to push back kobolds and some other threats, they have a prouder history of powerful individuals.

"]
The Thri-Kreen are rather religious, believing in a variety of animal/insect/nature spirits and practising ancestor worship as well as worshipping the gods.
Most ancestors are called upon just as part of the family group, however few do get called on in person, being legendary heroes.
For the most part, Thri-Kreen call upon Sid'Jax, to guide them in the hunt, remembering locations of oasis and plants. Craftsmen however do occasionally call upon Kayros [who is also called upon for clan gatherings], with healers and some warriors also calling upon Sophia.

The Thri-Kreen see Sid'Jax first and foremost as the god of knowledge, but not as most would define it. In the Voices words "He doesn't know everything, just some things of use. However his is the remembering of stories age old, the guidance of the past, and the learning of new things."

After that, they worship him as is the main meaning of his tittles, "The Growing Wrath" and "The Survivor", they say that the true show of devotion is in great planning, and a ruthless retaliation. This follows into their hunting, where they will often trek for miles through the night until they corner or exhaust prey, and allow [most] animals the opportunity to attack first to defend itself before they kill it. They see themselves as above other desert races due to their lack of need for sleep, and how they sustain themselves on little.

Overall, their beliefs are less violent than those you have read, seeing him as more of a god of knowledge to guide them... That, and possibly the scale of their lives, they are much less capable of fighting wars.

As to your prayers, he notes that the Prayer to War is similar to the Prayer to Hunt they use when hunting large beasts, but is modified to note their environment. He also notes that the Prayer to Sacrifice bears some relation to their Prayer to Peace, which is also a funeral prayer, but is more about preserving the knowledge for the future than to not dying forgotten in battle.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 05:53 PM
IC: The next morning feels light as a small leaf for Dezered. He is refreshed and his magic resupplied, his confidence boosted to prove his mettle in the eyes of these good people. He spent hours planning a take on the kobold camp, mostly for precaution, but he wants to try a pacific approach first.

"Captain Grey." He greets the man when he enters the tent. "You no doubt heard of this encampment of Kobolds nearby. I realize it might be foolish, but I want to see what they have to offer us before we depart this place for good. Have your men up and ready before the sun runs from the horizon, we are moving in immediately to take comfort in the morning air. Tell everyone to pack all the water and food they can. We are not coming back." He puts his arm on John's shoulder in a sign of trust and friendship. "Thank you, Baal Amin. Dismissed."

OOC: Ok, here's the plan. I will move ahead to the kobolds and try to parley with them. Let's see what I can do by myself. If it doesn't work, I want the entire unit to close in, bows in hand, to clean the camp. We will move early, at first light, and hopefully have a place to rest during the high-hours. Let's see how it plays with the kobold first. We could certainly do with less enemies and more allies.

Erik my man, you should put that up in the fluff thread under knowledge (local - Deserts of the East), (religion) and (nature - deserts)! That's a whole lotta fluff. :smallbiggrin:

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 06:52 PM
The Voice approaches you as you make ready to leave.
"It is a shame to see you go, I would have liked to learn more about you, but such is obviously not upon the scorpions shell*. Though I know that you would likely wish to return to your own, may Sid'Jax guide you."
With that [and anything you respond with] the voice takes his leave.

The march towards the kobold camp takes you in a slightly north-easterly direction, and you arrive within sight perhaps two hours before noon. And you can tell the scout was rather right, the tents are too small for people, and the camp seems a little small as a whole.

Shortly after you make sight, it appears the camp notices you, and loud yip-like sounds reach your ears.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-17, 07:13 PM
The Kobolds will have a pretty neutral stance toward newcomers. From there Erik can do what he likes with them. They do not need to be typical Kobolds. :smallsmile:

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 07:14 PM
OOC: Duly noted, thanks.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 07:16 PM
Dezered will move out of the sand dunes ahead of the scouts, waving them to wait for his signal or any sign of combat before they move too. He will swiftly cast Detect Magic and hold his concentration up to see if the kobolds are in possession of any sort of magic (60ft cone radius). He will shout in Draconic to the small yapping people. "Calm yourselves! We will not deliberately harm you and yours! I came here only to talk and I came by myself!"

I will roll Diplomacy just in case [roll0]. I would also like to ready an action too; If anyone acts offensively against my person, besides casting Neverskitter I will also draw my wand and use Mage Armor on myself.

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 07:45 PM
OOC: They are far from 60ft, they are approximately 1KM away, or about 3250ft [to fit for square size] so currently 65 squares...
That might be a little long to actually hear them properly beyond alarm yelps. I will assume that you continue at the same pace [weapons sheathed] and will shout when they close to a more reasonably distance, which I will take a moment to determine.
About 4 squares.
I'll give you 1 turns travel before they send a runner to reduce it to 59 squares. The Kobold will be making double moves, so you enter shouting range in 3 and a bit minutes, you will be 41 squares away from the camp [about 2050ft] and the kobold will be 36, shortly after the third turn, you enter shouting distance.
I will assume that the unit will stop to wait one square behind you [they will wait in the 42nd square, you are in the 40th square from the edges of their camp].
I'll modify your shout silghtly, The first bit will be don't be alarmed.

IC:
Where you stop the kobold slows to a walk.
"Yourself, you have army! What you want!?"
The Kobold's voice has a fair bit of bravado, if a bit quieter than a man's given it's lack of volume.

You also note that the Kobolds scales are more a lighter brown than normal, probably due to generations in the desert.
[OOC: You can read Desert Kobold in the varient races section of the SRD, as well as Kobold]

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 08:17 PM
OOC: I assumed I would walk until range and all that. Will be more specific. Since we encountered in the middle of the way and I don't have a clear shot of them, I will hold the other charge of Detect Magic.

IC: Dezered feels rather mistrustful of the kobold race. They are usually considered pests among the civilized dwellers of the Underdark and Dezze had no reason to believe otherwise. In fact he never met a kobold face to face before. "We have not come here to do battle, if that's what you think, Kobold."

The wizard bites his tongue for his rude tone and tries for a more amiable approach. "We come from the far lands to the north and intend to be on our way as soon as possible, but we are short on supplies and information. Perhaps you'd be interested in some sort exchange?" Now this will be the tricky part! "You see, I am a great wizard of my people and could share some of my powers with your people."

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 08:58 PM
The Kobold slows to a pause, bouncing on the balls of his feet as if in thought.
"On your way... Trade, I'm sure something could be arranged. Such is good news... Need to speak with chief, perhaps you come to but not enter yet... Not all though."

With that, the kobold turns and runs towards the camp.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 09:10 PM
IC: Dezze will take with him only two scouts from the main body to deliver any message he needs. He is convinced these little fellows represent no danger. The others are all to stay behind and stay sharp for signs of danger; Kobolds are excellent trappers and ambushers after all.

The wizard and his scouts will await patiently for word from this... chief, before they approach the city any further.

OOC: Just to be sure, list of actions > Dezze went back, talked to the scouts, took two volunteers, came again to the vanguard with the volunteers and is now waiting word from the kobolds.

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 09:28 PM
As you wait, a small group of kobolds approach, maybe 8. A little inside of shouting distance 5 wait though. Three continue onward, not starting to talk until they are much closer, maybe 100ft away.
The runner you saw before is with the group, along with someone who appears to be a archer, at the head of the group however is a kobold notably bigger than the rest and of darker scale, and his eyes appear black. Whilst the others fidget, he/she stands rather still.

"You come in search of trade humans? We welcome trade, but it is not often we see so many men."

You successfully identify the kobold as a Earth-Desert Kobold.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 09:36 PM
IC: Dezered will show the elder kobold all the deference his aloof self can master. "We are on a humble pilgrimage back to our lands, which have been forcefully taken by the Dark Empire. We have little water and little food, but some scarce resources." He removes from his belt two wands of power.

"I hold within my person specially valuable magical crafts from the secluded lands of the Deep Imaskari. If you wish to appraise them, I am sure we could come upon an agreement."

OOC: Each wand is 750gp, and my chronocharge is 500gp. Perhaps we can buy rations and some other useful items, like scrolls...

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 09:49 PM
OOC: Quick calculations suggest 100gp=1RP, and 20 is chump change.

IC:
The kobold waves it's hand.
"They're are a few who tinker with such magical devices, but such is not for me to say if they could use them. Anyhow, I'm actually more interested in your weapons, I don't often see much steel. But come, bring who you need and tell the rest to make rest at the edges of the camp, I'm sure we can work out some trades, and shade is always better than sun, I would even argue the point with those from under the mountains."

The lead kobold turns, making a motion similar to waving you onward. Whilst the leader begins walking, the other kobolds remain a moment, sharing a look before turning to follow. After a moment, the runner starts running towards the 5 and the camp.

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 10:08 PM
OOC: I know. Beggars can't be choosers.

IC: The wizard will one send one of the scouts back to inform the party of the deal. He will also carry the orders for the man to gather any left-over weapons they might have; anything that isn't vital is to be gathered and brought to the kobold camp. He will then enter the village with the other remaining scout, still unsure if this was a good idea.

Erik Vale
2013-10-17, 10:47 PM
The camp is indeed a small thing, with it's defences seeming to purely be a ring of stakes and raised [+ covered] platforms to watch from. There is a large number of tents, but it seems that there are some underground buildings, maybe for storage given that most seem to be living in tents.

Eventually, the leader of the kobolds leads you to a largish wooden circle raised from the sands covered with cloth, it's not far from the main camp entrance and has a couple of firepits, you would guess it's some sort of communal area. Moving near a area covered with mats, the kobold motions for you to sit and does so also, with a few words in draconic he asks the runner to go gather some others.

"Well then, it has been a while since I have met one also in tune with the earth. For the most part we are... self sufficient to the point of having... more than needed. But we have little metal for creating new tools and replacing lost arrow heads, and obsidian is also scarce and is prone to shatter, so most of our archers, hunters and miners have to use stone, which is... Less useful in many ways. You said you need rations, we have plenty though we may be coming across some trouble, so as I see it, we can help each other somewhat."

Baveboi
2013-10-17, 11:11 PM
The wizard is relatively uncomfortable seated on a stool so small, but he let none of it show. "I sent word for my man to gather all steel we can afford to lose. It won't be much, but enough to see your tribe throughout this year, I suppose. In any case you may call me Dezered Tazzadar and I will be honored if I could be of further assistance." The last phrase the wizard says in a deep baroque draconic classical to those who use it to pronounce spells.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 12:08 AM
OOC: No stool, mats. Cross leged style, or knees in front for the kobold.
IC:
The kobold seems taken aback, when he speaks next it seems to be in semi-stunned ritual.
In Draconic: "I greet you under the desert sky, may you live long in the shadow of your fathers."
The Kobold sighs, and then continues in common seeing the scouts confusion.
"I am Alker Stonescale... We don't loose arrows often, we can't afford to. But we shall see by the steel as to their trade... As for other things, you claim to be a powerful mage?"

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 12:24 AM
OOC: DUH.

IC: For"Yes. Much of my library of conjurations stayed back in Imaskar, however. Which makes me deeply interested in any left-over scrolls or tomes that your people may have come across as to enrich my personal collection." He shifts uncomfortably over the mats, heavily missing his family's collections of magical scrolls.

"You spoke earlier of an endeavor that would be to our mutual advantage. Is there anything me and my friends here could do to unburden you of some troublesome happenings, Master Stonescale?" A.K.A, give me a quest. The thought brought the slightest of smiles to the wizard's marble-like lips.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 12:46 AM
"Yes. In the desert nearby is a large scorpian, far larger than two Thri-Kreens lying down, or most desert-vultures. It is to smart to bring many against, but it has been a great hassle for hunters and fishermen, we believe we know where it is denning, such a activity for me would be dangerous, and lethal for most I would bring. However, should you be potent, I am sure that between the two of us, we could perform a act worthy of a feast and much gift giving, something we haven't done for a while."

There is a slight responsive smile from the kobold.
Of behind the kobold you note a few kobolds in unusual clothes approaching, perhaps 5. Behind you, you hear the clanking of metal.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 01:13 AM
Dezze nods agreeably. "That's fair. I doubt the beast would be too much trouble for a handful of my scouts and me, so there is no need to endanger yourself. I could take a guide to the beast's lair and slay it before nightfall." The wizard is rather confident that his abilities plus 2 or 3 of his best archers would be more than enough to turn the creature into a sizzling pincushion. That way we'd also have the first share of any loot the monster has accumulated in his lair.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-18, 01:18 AM
Makes popcorn and watches as it turns out to be much nastier than a monstrous scorpion... Especially given that you've been given information that should have tipped you off... :smalltongue:

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 01:38 AM
"He's right, you shouldn't risk yourself, your the most important one here."
The kobold beside him speaks.
"Allow me to go in your place, you know I shall survive and am quite willing to watch should they not desire my help."

The arriving kobolds move to sit alongside the leader forming a neat semicircle, Meanwhile you hear a thump as the sack of metal lands behind you, if you look back, you can see Captain Gray and a few others.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 01:52 AM
Bending back, Dezze smiles like a kid given a good treat. "John! You are exactly the man I needed to see. Here is something only you can do: I need you to choose a strike team of our best and most stealthy archers, 5 at the most. They must rest, equip and prepare for march. This is very important, Captain Grey, my life may as well depend on it."

Turning to speak with the Kobolds Dezered points to the huge bag of second-hand weapons. "You may peruse the steel, if you wish. It's not much and not of a bright quality, but it's sturdy and can weather many seasons."

OOC: Is it safe to assume everyone in my unit, including Grey, is level 1? Won't matter, but it would be good to have someone level 2 or 3 now.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 02:10 AM
OOC: I don't think units can level up, and in any case they are yet to have defeated anything... Speaking of which, I should probably grant you some XP... I'll definitely do so when you kill the scorpion.

IC:
The Alker nods.
"I will allow you to guide them Sog'no. I hope you all return safely... Your men are permitted to wonder the camp, however I would prefer they did so with minimal armament, and not all at once."
Alker waves over a kobold who looks in the bag. It's mostly spare tools they can easily do without, there is more they can give, but it is enough to arm the kobold archers several volleys, or arm the hunters for several seasons, or a year should Alker not be bosting.

Sog'no rises [The archer kobold from before].
"I will stand by you until you are ready to leave, however midday sun will be present soon and I would rather we leave after it has faded to waning sun, but we might be able to catch the beast sooner should we leave during midday sun."

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 02:37 AM
IC: "You are wise, Sog'no. I also have no intention to walk the desert during the Zenith, so you may rest a while. My men are also preparing their equipment, they should be ready by the third hour after the Zenith. That way we can walk with shadows long and lean." Dezered gives a favorable smile to the Kobold Archer. "When the time is right I will meet you outside the village so we can hunt this beast. But until then I should tend to mine and my men's needs. Your hospitality is very much appreciated, Master Alker, until another encounter." He finishes in his baroque draconic as to demonstrate respect for them.

Once outside the camp, he will tell the men to raise some shade for themselves with the tents and whatever else they can put at work. He will also indicate that small and lightly armed parties are allowed inside the kobold camp and that they are welcome to use some of their water and food, given the laws of hospitality and that anyone who breaks that agreement will spend the rest of his years regretting it dearly.

OOC: You can skip to our travels, if you wish Erik, I have nothing else I wish done.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 03:07 AM
The men seem happy as you walk amongst them, knowing that they will soon be leaving the desert with supplies in tow... And the possibility of a party [even if not with humans], potentially with alcohol.

Near three you all meet up, and Sog'no is already waiting with another, their words [in draconic, to keep most to themselves] and stance seem to indicate they may be partners, and shortly the other leaves. The people with you seem to be among the more profesional, however one seems more nervous than the rest, but he bares the colours of a lead scout, so you know he will be able to keep his head.

"Come, the nearest hunting area is perhaps three quarts of a hour away, and it's believed nest is no more than half a hour further."

The Kobold turns, and sets off on a brisk pace.

---

The hunting ground appears to be a a shallow creak bed with patches of water, almost dried out, a search reveals nothing and you head on.

---
Arriving at the believed nest, you hold up about 100ft away. It appears to be a oasis with several plants but no animals, there are a couple of sand dunes around you. The kobold halts.
"It has struck from water before, but rarely ground... Well wizard, this is your chance to prove yourself."

OOC: Men are:
-2 Level 1 Warriors, Longspear, Dagger, Composite Shortbow and Leather Armor.
-2 Level 1 Warriors, Light Mace, Dagger, Composite Shortbow, Studded Leather armor.
-1 Level 1 Expert, Heavy Mace, Dagger, Heavy crossbow, Leather Armor.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 11:42 AM
IC: "We are far too exposed in this dunes, but I guess it will have to do for now. Archers, position yourselves around the premise, I want a 90ft radius from the focal point. Do not give your lives in vain, if the monster attack, run like hell is loose." Turning to the master kobold, Dezze is smiling confidently.

"Once I am done with the beast you might want to put some shafts in it just as a token of retribution." He says moments before stepping down the dunes, only a wand in hand and his heavy crossbow in the back.

OOC: I will use Mage Armor from the wand on me and ready an action for my next turn; if the creature attacks from too close I will use obscuring mist -you can't kill what you can't see (yes, I know it has tremorsense and/or blindsight. I am counting on it).
PS: I might die here, but the man should still be able to arrow it do death if they skirmish the creature; that is, keep their distance and shoot from outside the monster's charge range, always reading a Run action to gtfo just in case.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 04:29 PM
The men take up position around the ridge in a semi-circle, the archers using the dune to provide cover while the crossbowman goes prone. The Kobold crouches near the crossbowman.

OOC: Roll Spot and Wisdom.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 04:56 PM
[roll0] for spot
[roll1] for wisdom
[roll2] fo initiative, if needed
[roll3] for concentration on Neverskitter, if needed :smallbiggrin:
PS: I have darkvision and low-light vision, if that changes anything.
CA is 16, touch 12, flat 14.

EDIT: That escalated quickly...

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 08:32 PM
As you approach the Oasis, you note that the plants are to thinned out to properly hide a giant scorpion, except around the back of the oasis, and you think you see some kind of rock formation.

Roll Charisma [DC 10] and Spot [DC 15] please. You are currently 50ft away from the shore of the oasis.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 08:37 PM
OOC: You know you are ****ed when the dm says "Roll Charisma", for a giant scorpion combat...

[roll0] for cha
[roll1] for spots

Same actions as from the previous round, minus Mage Armor.

EDIT: I goofed that. I goofed that gooood.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 08:42 PM
OOC Clarrification: Your still walking towards the water and not looking around for the rock formation/denser stuff near the back? Just clarrifying as you never really specified movement in your last action post and it's unclear now and there are two options.
Also, charisma was to see if the kobold liked you enough to give you a hint... Hopefully I'm burning all your bad rolls pre-combat.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 08:55 PM
OOC: OH! sorry. I was actually thinking that the thing would charge me the moment I stepped in his domain. Since it's not the case, then yes, I will move slightly closer to the middle every turn.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 09:18 PM
Once you reach within 20ft of the oasis shore, the scorpion bursts out of the water charging at you, it's tail lashing at you as you create the fog and arrows fly for the beast.

OOC: Surprise round for the scorpion, but readied actions trump, I rule the scorpion will get cover from the mist as it gets hit as it enters the mist.

Archers:
Hit: [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3]
Miss Change: [roll4], [roll5], [roll6], [roll7]
Damage: [roll8], [roll9], [roll10], [roll11]

Scorpion Charge
Hit: [roll12]
Miss Chance: [roll13]
Damage: [roll14]
Poison: [roll15] Con, DC 14 Fort negates.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 09:21 PM
Ooh, crit confirm for Scorpion [Note, under 20 is miss for miss chance]
[roll0]

Dont Highlight below
Scorpion HP: 31

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 09:22 PM
Knowledge: Roll Knowledge Planes, DC 16. Highlight below if succesful.
5HD large Fiendish Amphibious Monstrous Scorpion

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 10:23 PM
OOC: Wait, who did hit, the scorps or the archer? Is the concealment 50-up or 50-down? Also rolling>
[roll0] know check.
[roll1] fort save if needed.
If the scorps hit, I am 15 hp now. Taking double for the crit into account.
EDIT: A little bit bigger than I thought he'd be, but I guess he is an apex predator.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 10:34 PM
OOC: The Archers hit the scorpion when he was 5ft into the fog, so he got 20% conceal, the scorpion was right next to you when he attacked, so it was 5ft distance and 20% miss chance. Chances are below the number [so 20% is 20 and below, 50% is 50 and below, etc].

The scorpion and the archers hit, the critical was for the scorpion hitting you [he rolled nat 20]

IC: You succesfully ID the scorpion as the sort that lives in the colder aquatic regions of the hells, what it's doing here you don't know. You also note that only one arrow succesfully entered it's hide as it strikes you with it's stinger.

OOC: Ok, innitiative.
Archers: [roll0]
Scorpion: [roll1]
Kobold: Holding actions until he decides he needs to help.

Edit: That was supposed to be -1 for the scorpion, so it has 18, archers just suck on a 3.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 10:38 PM
OOC: For the sake of moving on, I will post my action regardless. First, rolling Concentration [roll0] to cast defensively, DC 11. Secondly, I will activate my gloves to grant me +2 to CL for this next spell.
Kelgore's Firebolt, targeted, [roll1] -5 from his fire resistance 5, ref for half. To surpass his SR of 10 [roll2], even if failed, still will deal [roll3]. After the spell is completed, I 5ft-step back as to not give the monster a Full round next round.
EDIT: My ini is 19, I go first. :3

IC: Reflexively, the Imaskari remembers his dance-casting training and immediately shift his poise. Lowering to the ground, muscles flexed, he starts chanting strands of magical energy into existence in a way that would be difficult to exploit. His spells come to the fore and in the same fluid moment he steps back to distance himself and his assailer.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 10:43 PM
OOC: Where did you roll Innit?
Reflex: [roll0]

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 10:46 PM
OOC: I refer you to Spoiler Katamari in post 71, where I preemptively did so. I also noted it in my sheet so i wouldn't forget. :smallbiggrin:
The scorp may act now, but it is ****ed next round. Unless it stops me from dance-casting it will rue this day.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 10:47 PM
The scorpion recoils as your blast burns it's face, turning the entire front section black.
It immidiately walks backwards, chittering as it enters the water again, it's movements disturb the water further, making it to cloudy to see in.

OOC Notes, dont Highlight Below:
13 HP, Front is 10 Squares into water, 5ft from surface

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 10:48 PM
OOC: Smart. You cant see the source of the disturbence, but knowing movement speeds you can try and guess where the scorpion is.

IC: Not seeing anything the archers approach, the one with a crossbow walks while aiming into the fog, the rest run in such a manner to try and see around the fog, arrows knocked.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 10:57 PM
IC: Dezered was famous in the circles of arcane duels for his ruthless approach to a confrontation. He claps and the fog is dismissed as if by magic. Wasting no time he sets his second plan in action; again his hands dance around in the shapes of a magical mantra, but this time earth and sand at the very border of the small body of water takes the shape of a huge arm! It immediately starts pounding the water like festive drum; SPLASH SPLASH SPLASH.

Even bleeding from the puncture in his chest, the wizard manages to smirk. "How good is that censorial perception of yours, huh? Come out to play, so I can sack you and throw you over!"

OOC: Summary. I will stop defensive casting and will use Earthen Grasp (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/earthen-grasp--542/) to make a distraction. Let's see if it bites the sand appendage.
I also prepare a move action to run into cover and away from any rush or charge.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 11:04 PM
OOC:
Attack of Oppertunity:
Hit: [roll0] vs AC 15
Damage: [roll1] [acounts for hardness]

Grapple Touch Attack
Hit: [roll2]
Opposed Rolls: [roll3] vs [roll4]

I really didn't think that would work very well... This time the scorpion got the bad luck.

IC:
The arm suddenly reaches down barely further into the oasis, slamming towards the bottom and you hear a screech as the hand begins shaking a spot, you recognise the movements of when the arms successfully grabs something.

Erik Vale
2013-10-18, 11:10 PM
Scorpions Action:
The Scorpion thrashes impotently, not realising it can't harm the hand.

Archers Actions: The archers move closer, training their bows on the source of the thrashing.

Kobold: Moves closer.

You: Are up.
Pin attempt by arm: [roll0] vs [roll1], [roll2] damage if successful.

Baveboi
2013-10-18, 11:18 PM
IC: Laughing out loud, the wizard effortlessly conjures another earthly arm, a twin to the other one, which immediately grabs at the submerged flaying monster. He then proceeds to speak in a terrible language, that will surely send shivers to the others. "I know you can understand me, even if in an unconscious level, so HEAR ME! Daemon, devil or demon; I care not from which side you hail! But unless you wish to be undone and destroyed you will listen to my words! Struggle further and your very existence is forfeit! In the other hand I offer your freedom after a 100 years compact."* He will then watches to see if the monster stops to struggle, if so he will not release the arms, but will make sure they don't damage it further.

*- Abyssal

OOC: That's the beauty of magic: it changes, and once you know that, it changes again.
Ok, the arm will deal [roll0] damage, BUT WAIT. The second arm I summon automatically succeed in its own grapple because his target is already grappled. So next round will be two arms constricting it unless it can release itself (harder and harder now).

Ok, let's do this again...
The monster is a daemon. I need daemons if I want to be a conjuror. I will offer it its freedom (as in, I will actually send it back home) if it relishes me its true name for a hundred years, a mere pittance in its own eternal life spam. The alternative is obliteration as its essence, its SOUL, will not be able to reform in the lower planes since we aren't connected to the planes via the the Grey Bridge, but instead via the Rainbow Brigde.
A.K.A, it can't go home, just like we can't really summon anything. If it agrees to be my summon for a hundred years, I will send it back home.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 12:29 AM
The thrashing stops, and soon you mentally command the hands to not harm it.
Being underwater, it cant speak yet, but you could command the hands to hold it above the water.

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 12:35 AM
Dezered is truly nervous now, but if the fiend catches scent of it he could just as well spell his doom. He does all needed to strengthen his resolve and command the sandy arms to bring the corpse of the creature ashore.

"Keep your distance and don't shoot the fiend!" He screams aloud to his men with a glint of ambition in his eyes. It's mine now... he whispers softly.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 12:46 AM
While the language of truespeech is not one you can tell, it's name is one syllable more complex than you would expect, as you note as it semi-chitters a word that booms in your mind into words spoken as if in a gravelly form of your voice.
"Rth'O'Ya'Lk'Yarn"
The creature seems to glare at you in defiance as the arms hold it above the water immobile, all the archers, even the Kobold have their weapons trained on the creature.

OOC: Decided that the creature speaks in abyssal, while the kobold is in your company the scorpion will have a asterisk before it's words. It probably understands common though it definitely understands abyssal.
Oh, you don't have a familiar, did you trade it away for some class feature?

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 01:07 AM
OOC: For rapid summoning, yes. Regretting it more, and more. Just like my decision to abandon Illusion and Enchantment instead of Transmutation and Abjuration...
I WILL get a familiar eventually, but no, the scorpion is not gonna be my familiar. At least I don't plan so. It could be my cohort from Leadership (which I also plan on taking, at level 6 even), but we shall see... It could die tomorrow.
I had aspirations to have my cohort BE my familiar to give her class levels, but I guess they could share...

EDIT: Imma use a red * to mark any Abyssal speech I use too.

IC: Dezered is now beaming with the telltale afterglow of a man who conquered a mountain. His mind is as sharp as a dagger and he quickly stored the name in the same fashion he would a spell, to be forever guarded. There is also a predatory glint to his smile that could make a lesser man miss a step. *"You are smart. I am far smarter. As long as you remember that, Scorpiox, your service will be sweetly rewarded. However! If you even try to provoke me or test my superiority your existence is forfeit. If you disobey me deliberately your are undone. Displease me, even if slightly, and you will suffer a excruciating death." He locks eyes with the fiend again to be sure, to break his will, to "show who is the boss" and then dismisses the arms.

*"I will not repeat myself. Now stand up and follow my shadow!"

The wizard will then merely walk out of the lair, giving orders to the others to search and plunder the place of everything they can find and bring them to the camp. He will go ahead, following the trail and the "nose" of Scorpiox.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 01:30 AM
OOC: I believe the word of the day is retraining. I wouldn't give you full benifits as it's more powerful than some familiars and you don't have improved familiars, but I would give you the special abilities such as speak with and scry on.
Also, I've always wanted a familiar as a cohort, as long as Gaiy doesn't veto it consider it approved.

IC:
The men exchange glances, whilst you know Sid'Jax sees good and evil in equal lights, they have for the most part been in the sole service of Sophia... The Kobold looks equally interested, as he doesn't move, his bow remains trained on the scorpian even as the others lower their bows slightly.
"Explain yourself wizard."

The scorpian whispers in abbysal.
*"Allow me to explain to him my lord."
It speaks the words with venom as it moves to walk in your shadow.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-19, 01:35 AM
OOC: Normally familiars cannot be Cohorts as well. But given that this is an unwilling cohort that may one day turn on you if you are not careful I think that balanced it out a little.

Arcane Heirophant could get nasty with that thing mind you...

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 01:45 AM
OOC: Eh, I ain't gonna abuse it. Isn't worth the risk of having it do something I don't want it doing. But hey, my other idea for a familiar was even crazier! I was looking up a Behold Spectator, and I flirted with the idea of making it into a Beholder Wizard. :smallbiggrin: No special reason, just for giggles!

IC: A spark of fabricated anger spark in Dezze's voice as he talk Scorpiox down. *"You be quiet unless I tell you to speak." He then turns to face the kobold and his men. "If you all must know, I am now this monster's master. I won, we struck a deal, he now follows my shadow until the day I will release it into the gaping hells. Now, you have your orders. Dismissed."

The wizard will then walk all the way back to the camp, wound in his chest still bleeding for the sadistics satisfaction of Scorpiox.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 02:04 AM
The kobold stares at the human, and then to the wounded scorpion, and then to the wizard.
"Hold it close. If it causes harm there will be trouble for you."

The kobold slowly lowers it's bow, and will watch you until you pass out of vision.

OOC: Will you do anything with the scorpion on the way, or will it be with you while you arrive at the camp?

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 02:46 AM
OOC: I will have it in tow when I approach the village. The Kobolds will be warned not to molest the creature now that it's in my power. But I will not let it get too close, we will contour the settlement and I will rest only when we are inside the Freedom Fighters camp.

If you want to introduce some concerns from John Grey now or just jump and talk about them all during the meeting with the kobold chief, it's A-Ok. There is the mater of what the others have found in Scorpiox's lair too.

IC: The walk was a silent and tense one, but that would be peaceful compared to the possible consequences. Arriving at the kobold's camp he had to explain it to the sentries already and as the wound in his chest pained so did his patience thin. Without much discussion he just marched around to his men's camp and decided to rest in a tent, bandage that drain and take some rest before the festivities. He did however give orders to the men to bind the creature with their best ropes and chains, anything really, that could hold it down while he was present at the festivities. Additionally he also ordered the monster itself to stay put until second orders, just for redundancy's sake.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 03:28 AM
The kobold guards seemed shocked when you showed the creature, but nod. Shortly after you turn, you here feet hit the ground running.

Upon arriving at your camp, the men give you birth, the Captain seems hesitant but follows orders, also assigning a group to make sure the creature stays in it's bonds, and make sure no-one interfeers with it. When you return the the camp, a kobold runner meets you and guides you back to the pavilion.

Shortly after arriving, Captain Gray, Sog'no, Alker and another soldier arrives.
"I hear you have a new friend."
Alker says as he sits, quickly looking to you, motioning for you to sit if you haven't already.

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 01:05 PM
The wizard is badly patched up and in no mood for flamboyant formalities. He sits down at the mats with a slow and painful groan. "Hardly a friend. The fiend is my servant now. I won, we stroke a bargain; it will serve me for a hundred years and then I will send it back to the lower realms as a reward. If it ever question my authority I will be glad to crush it once and for all, but for now we could use it as a carrier and a shock unit."

His smile surfaces over the pained expression of fever in his eyes and he gives Alker a reassuring bow. "You have my word that it is under my power and your people will never suffer it's presence once we leave. I remember leaving my retinue and Sog'no to collect anything of value from the fiend's lair, have you heard of them?"

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 04:33 PM
OOC: I mentioned Sog'No being here, so I'll change that to being 'what was found'.

"Mostly broken equipment, however we found a small metal vein I believe, and some of the gear was metal. There were also a few small gemstones."
Alker leans back.
"This is not something I could have thought of having occurred... Normally we would desire such a captured foes head, but I believe a better solution can be found... I will need to speak with my shamen... However, you have cleared a Oasis and possibly opened up a iron vein, something that we would have shower you with gift were it granted to us... I think I can present this turn of events to the people properly, would you allow myself and my shaman to inspect the creature in... perhaps half an hour?"

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 06:27 PM
OOC: Yeah, that's what i meant. Bad phrasing, sorry. Am in another game right now, in Roll20. :smalltongue:
Ok, let's go check Scorpy then!

IC: Dezered is smiling, happy that he helped more than he antagonized the villagers. He lets that show in his voice and poise as much as he can. "That would be acceptable, yes. But I hope you wouldn't mind I be present for it. His service is still a delicate and young compact, I want it well under my sights." He stands up slowly then and gives the master kobold a deep bow.

"You are wise and your people is lucky to have your leadership, master kobold."

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 08:19 PM
Alker nods.
"I thank you Stone Man, may your reach not far exceed your grasp."

As you return to the camp, Captain gray asks:
"Sir, you have done much for us and you have earned favour enough with the men to lead, but are you sure this is wise? I may not know much of heavens and hells but it takes no effort to tell that scorpion the way you treat it is a beast of hell, the sort most would pray to Sophia for protection against and the strength to put down."

Should you attempt to reassure him, he will take it under consideration for a moment before stating "Very well... You may want to speak with the men is all."

---
Perhaps 45 minutes later, a group of kobolds arrives at the camp, and 3 make it to where you are with the scorpion, you quickly identify two as Sog'no and Alker, and the third seems a rather aged kobold, as by his slightly slower pace.
Should you speak he will simply hold up his hand in a almost universal signal for silance, with both Sog'no and Alker looking at the other quizically as they halt. The kobold elder proceeds to circle the chained up scorpion, taking particular note of the harsh burns on it's front.
Suddenly, the kobold elder turns to Alker and begins talking in draconic, to which the others reply as if no one else was here.
"Yes, a hell beast... Normally I would berate anyone for thinking to try and bind such a thing but he has proven his might over the beast magically... It will test him for a short while and probably again every season, but I believe he will be able to control it."
"What about those it's killed?"
"Given it's lair? I can devise a ceromony that should help appease the more blood thirsty... And I could devise a collar?.."

OOC: Giving you a moment now to interrupt.

Baveboi
2013-10-19, 11:29 PM
OOC: Good idea, after this is done I will have to talk to the men about this. Sigh, my character was not built to lead through force of charisma. He becomes very awkward in this type of situations. :smalltongue:

*=Draconic
IC: *"Master kobold, if I may speak; I have no qualms with any sort of torment you wish to inflict upon this vile beast. I know all too well of the hatred felt against all that is monstrous. I will listen to your wisdom if you have to lecture me, but I need this. I need it alive, strong and stinging. Our enemies numbers an Empire. We can't have the luxury of choosing who gets to fight on our side..." He loses a little of his voice there and stops talking altogether. His face hard like the marble it resembles.

Erik Vale
2013-10-19, 11:54 PM
Though to a man all the people here cannot understand you, their understanding of tone have looks of concern. The kobolds all look at you, the elders and Sog'no's faces unreadable while Alker's is undeniably hard. But when he speaks, his face softens as he speaks in the common tongue.

"I knew not the severity of your plight, but know I intended to let you keep this monstrosit-"
He is suddenly cut of by the elder.
"You shall have your servant in all it's terrible wrath, and I see you know how quickly the leash can become a noose... We have been in talks, and a celebration has been deemed appropriate. It would however be conducted tomorrow, and I would like to start it with a ceremony involving you and your scorpion, it shall not cause overmuch harm, but it shall be so as to show it's new subservient status, and that it has been overcome in vengeance for our kin."

Baveboi
2013-10-20, 12:28 AM
IC: Dezered lowers his head. He is tired. Spent mentally and physically. He gives the kobold elder his agreement and consent, but the hour is becoming of rest and he promptly excuses himself to his tent; the only one close to Scorpiox's binds. He gives the beast the barest acknowledgement before giving in to his studies of magic and, a lone hour later, sleep.

OOC: You can give any speech the kobold wants to give now, as if he had warned Dezze the day before, but lets jump in to the next day. Help things along. I think we are a little late, and have to move a little faster. We still have my meeting (and possible employment) with drack's people.

Erik Vale
2013-10-20, 09:30 PM
The day had past quickly and men were murmuring with excitement...
A party was a party, the kobolds had been hospitable, and they would be being well supplied for their journey afterwords.
It was just after siesta when the heat was again becoming bearable, and many of the kobolds and most of the humans were gathered around to pavilion, which had been cleared, it's wood bare. And in the centre, was the chained scorpion, it's chains ceremonially held by you, meanwhile the kobold elder [your questions were deflected whenever you asked of it's name] and Alker stood to one side, with Sog'no standing beside you.
Suddenly, Alker speaks.

"When you came to us, we feared the worst, and yet here and now you have brought low a threat to our people, opened up a oasis, and found a source for rare iron ore!"
"And how low did you bring this creature! Lower than it brought those of us it killed! All amongst us lost friends to this thing's stealthy attacks, laid low by poison and eaten when they stopped to slake their thirst! Yet now, where it was a mighty hunter it is now a mere servent, in this ones hands! And a powerful servant to help those who have lost so much yet still first thought to aid us!"
Some of the kobolds cheer.
"But is that enough?!"
There is a overwhelming no.
"And so, to begin this foul beasts 100 years of slavery, we mark this creature with our own hate, that it might no pain for harming us, and that it is forever marked with shame."

Sog'no whispers up to you as the kobolds cheer.
"Remember to order him still, you wouldn't want Alker to accidentally harm your prize permanently."
Once again, the scorpion whispers harsh grumbles in abyssal, again wishing it had said no.
Alker turns to face off to the scorpion, who holds it's pre prepared bow, and with precision not many mortals could match made a mark near the scorpions stinger and claws, barely making it through the tough scale and drawing blood, but by seeing the effect you can easily tell that the obsidian axe is enchanted.
"May you ever feel the pain you caused in others. And may it be marked upon you for all to see!"
With that, Alker suddenly brings the axe across the scorpions face, seeming viscous you see the move is tightly controlled, only creating a slightly deeper mark that given the burns may actually scar rather than heal.

The scorpion pulls pack, hissing and clicking it's mandibles in rage, but retaining it's position.

"Now go fiend, and never return to this desert or plague our kind again!"
And with that, you lead the scorpion out of the camp to much cheering by the kobolds, from the crowd two men join you as you return the scorpion to it's post, where it is ordered to remain, before you and the men return to the party.

The party is somewhat subdued given the mixing of normally incorpatible races, but there is much boasting, drinking and the swapping of songs and tales, that accompanied with the swapping of gifts goes well on into the night before people start turning in.

Sometime during the event, your not sure when, you turn to see the elder staring at you from a short distance.
As you approach, he throws something up and towards you, which you catch with ease, noting it to be a small ceramic rod, thinner near the middle, marked at each end with the draconic rune for healing, it appears to be wrapped in several layers of what appears to be fish hide.
"You may need it in the future, should you get injured again or wish to speed your way onto health, snap it... You might want to find a softer pocket to put it in."
With that, he turns and disappears amongst the bodies, not knowing where he lives you are unable to find him again.

Not long after dawn [the soldiers were warned], almost everything is packed up and various gifts are tallied up against item lists, and the kobold chief Alker comes to see you off one last time.
First, he says something you find incomprehensible, and then something in draconic.
"May you travel well, and may you lead your people to the greatness rivalling the dragons."

Ok, 50 Resource points, and the explanation as to your scouts no need for food in hexes.
The resource points can be allocated as items or be kept as undefined resource points at your discretion, remember for getting anything that each RP=100gp approximately. You may spend no more than 10RP on yourself [which you could also use as some scrolls in the wrappings around the stone], however I've a feeling getting healing kits and the like might be useful for the unit and maybe your scorpion.
Also, add Dracoinc Healing Stone to your inventory, when you determine what it is I'll actually tell you the spell but it is a one of those potion variants like the tiles that truespeakers abuse for unlimited low level spells.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 12:14 AM
OOC: Spent 4 RP with scrolls and a small pearl. Put the healing stone inside the spine of my spellbook (inside my backpack) for extra safekeeping. Shame, I wanted to exchange my wand of Benign Transposition for something else... Can I convert it into RP? It would give me 3.5 RP, so I could buy another scroll (another 2nd level area spell or something).

IC: After giving the Alker his most sincerest compliments and wishing the kobold and his village prosperity and longevity he decided it was nigh time they departed. Since he was ordering Scorpiox to carry most of the group's luggage and new aqcuisitions (like gold, rare stones and materials, along with suplies and tents) he decided to "dull his bite" a little. He ordered pieces of cloth and leather to be strapped in the scorpion's pincers to hold them and bound his sting to his tail, leaving it mostly useless, unless a foolish interloper where to get too close (reduce his range to that of a normal creature with the sting and the pincers can only slam for 1d6 blud damage).

The travel through the warm desert summer air was less exhausting with the help of Scorpiox and the uneventful afternoon made the wizard's head wander. He thought about the scorpion, mostly. How he could take advantage of him in a battle and how would he make the creature comply with his plans. He realized then that what the elder spoke was wrong; Scorpiox was bound and chained, but the fiend was no less of a hunter now. *"Let's provide you with a different hunting ground, Scorpiox. I am sure you will delight in carnage once we get to the mountains." The wizard said walking beside the creature with a smile that hid equal parts of darkness and light.

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 12:25 AM
OOC: Hmm... Yes you can, we'll say that you gifted it to the adept earlier so he packed in a little extra as far as scroll copies are concerned.
Ok, pick a hex to move to.

IC: *"Water warm is as good as water... I prefer murky though."
The scorpions voice is matter of fact and rather sullen, but one would expect the creature to be upset.

For the most part, the men are quiet except for when they start a marching tune, but they are a happy quiet.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 12:45 AM
OOC: So we will travel for the rest of the day northwestward, to hex 164. If needed any rolls or if the hex is unexplored or contain anyone, we will deal with that, if not, we will just walk northwestward again... :smallsigh: to 125. Since there is a city there, I assume there will be something. Also, that will be 3/4 of our MPs for this weak, meaning we will be fatigued if we march unimpeded to 125.
Aside from marching discipline and scouting routine, I will order nothing else from the men. Let John Grey do his job, the man deserves praise for holding his own. All of them do.

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 12:46 AM
OOC: So no looking for something, just responding to anything that comes, got it.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-21, 01:32 AM
OOC: No one will stop your movement. Those Hobgoblins you encounter will be refugees heading from the south. The Hobgoblin empire is in total collapse to the Dark Empire. The Hobgoblin capital has been sealed off deep in the underdark.

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 02:10 AM
OOC: Currently detail checking in order to paint the best picture...
But now might be a fine time to work your way into the underdark to beg help of the Deep Imarski.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 02:38 AM
OOC: If I go back to Deep Imaskar it will be to execute a coup and kill the High Archmage myself (with the help of my 99 friends here). The thought fills me with ambition. If Razak and I can get into Imaskar with our units we could take the city by storm and put a new power in there. Hopefully I would even die and could lead this new power (let's say, Dezze's father or perhaps older brother) with much more power in my disposition. Facing the Dark Empire would be a much more prospective idea then, Admiral and Jojomo would become my champions and I would bring a friend from outside for a third and start conquering the realms of the undermountain.

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 04:50 AM
OOC: I really don't get why it's called undermountain, underdark isn't contained in it's entirity under one mountain/mountain chain... Though that may also be because the first time I heard the term was in reference to the mad wizards dungeon under waterdeep.

IC:
The trip into the foothills is largely uneventfully, perhaps even thankfully so. And whilst many of the men seem to agree with using the fiend as a pack mule, the horses are much less agreeing of it, and so it has gone to carrying a lighter load of things more likely to be needed near the front or by the men in general, like spare arrows or rations...
It particularly dislikes rations, because while people smell like food the rations do more so [despite what some of the men think], and yet it can't eat them, something that it can't remember occurring before.

As you continue on into the lands controlled by the hobgoblins, you note a large town in the distance and head towards it, yet for some reason you can smell fear despite the township being kilometres away.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 03:48 PM
OOC: Yes, undermountain is the name of Halaster's dungeon, but also the name of any underdark location that benefits from the cover and protection of a mountainous range. :smalltongue: Such as the city of Deep Imaskar in the Little World, which is protected on the surface by it's prestigious location under the frostfell peaks.

IC: The men are tired (fatigued) and Scorpiox has become increasingly pensive upon his servile status. It's unwise to search for trouble in such large numbers. Dezered turns to face John Grey with those esmeralditte eyes of his, a sad smile in his lips. "I will go in alone. I know it's risky, but I will take Scorpiox and pose as a lowly adventurer and mercenary. You should take the men and hide under the hills and trees, try to evade any contact." He places his hand in the captain's shoulder by his pragmatic gesture of good will.

"I bet you can smell it too, the air of this place. It smells like Vale the day we were attacked. I am not going to put the men into a mess I can't take us out of. At least this way they can rest while I do most of the probing"

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 04:18 PM
"Understood... Don't get yourself hurt out there."
Captain Gray relays your orders, and quickly organises a rough map of their travels to choose a hill, and gives you a copy so you can find them again.

Scorpiox is rather happy to be somewhat freed to act as your companion, seeming less sullen.

As you approach the town, you note it's protected by large walls... and a closed gate.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 07:19 PM
Before approaching the gates, Dezered turns to speak with the giant scorpion. *"I will not remove the straps binding either your claws nor your sting. Yet. (I should have a spell for that later.) For now you will be content to parade around scaring the lesser beings and feasting on their fear. But no physical harm."

Walking side by side with Scopriox, the wizard will hail the gates from a safe distance (150ft or more, if they can hear him). "Hail ro those who guards the gate! A traveler wishes to speak with you!"

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 09:15 PM
A holbgoblin leans over, leans back, and after a moment leans over again.
"What do you want?"

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 09:41 PM
"Shelter, warm fire, food and perhaps a little trade. My little arachnid friend here and I are carrying some goods that might interest your people, and perhaps your hedge wizard if you have one!" Dezze actively avoids the subject of who he is and what does he do in hopes of letting the Hobgoblins fill in the gaps in their own heads.

Wasn't this place taken by drack's Druids of the Darkened Grove? Am I some days early for that? If so it might be best to turn northward and go to the forests for our last 10 MPs. I don't want to create any time paradoxes! xD

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 10:09 PM
OOC: Drack hasn't arrived yet to absorb it.

IC:
The Hobgoblin leans back, your too far away to hear their argument, ut you can quite easily guess it's happening.
After perhaps a minute, on of the hobgoblins lean out again.
"Sorry traveler, but you have a way to go yet for rest and trade. Their is a town to the north though, I hear they're still letting in strangers regardless of race... You might want to remember to keep your weapon sheathed though, the dead their aren't seen as foul."

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 10:25 PM
OOC: I just realized that we are not at week 3, are we? We just finished week 2... Well, talk with Gaiya and drack if you can, if we should speed this up we can do a little Time Warp (after all, it's just a jump to the left).

IC: Disheartened and sullen, Dezze will tell the news to John Grey. They will have to force march north still a long way before catching any sort of rest. At least the deep forests the forward scouts have reported will be good cover against any major threats like raiding parties and wild mercenaries. He also gave Scorpiox his word that he would let the beast hunt in the humid jungles as many animals it could catch as long as he was to share them with the rest.

Dezered himself was exhausted and had Scorpiox carry him through most of the way under threat of severe physical pain. He sat lags crossed like a shaman on a giant scorpion's back; he mused the image should be very inspiring if not downright intimidating.

Erik Vale
2013-10-21, 10:41 PM
OOC: This is actually the conclusion of three nowish. I'll talk to Drack about organising you running into him on the way to take over this village or otherwise introducing you.

Baveboi
2013-10-21, 11:17 PM
OOC: Kewl. So we shouldn't worry about timing that much. If you need, you can focus on other people that you are DMing for, now, since me and drack we will just be amusing each other with IC, mainly.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 08:40 PM
Ok, I have to mention: I've lost track of which town I'm running Beelzebub's sidequest in. :smallredface: Are our threads about to cross?

Baveboi
2013-10-22, 08:49 PM
I am with drack on square 120 by the last day of the third week. If Phi is in drack's domain, than yes, I believe our threads might be closing in.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 08:56 PM
Phi's in one of the hobgoblin settlements that boarders drack's domain.

Baveboi
2013-10-22, 09:17 PM
I passed by 125 in the early hours of the last day of the third week, but I did alone. My unit of scouts kept hidden and my entrance in the city was refused, so I went to 120.
The way drack is being taking care of that place I am kinda regretting that. :smallbiggrin:

At what day would Phi be in 120? Also, I think in the near future drack will have taken the place.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 09:23 PM
Honestly... I'm not sure. :smallfrown:
I've lost track. Ask drack what day he sent Phi out. He's on the second day of his sidequest. (Also, it's looking like the quest I had in mind is being made irrelevant. :smallannoyed:)

Gaiyamato
2013-10-22, 09:27 PM
Everyone is a bit out of sync with their timelines. You would be arriving days after Phi went out, just ahead of the collapse of the HobGoblins now that their leader has been brutally murdered and their entire army either crushed or joined the Dark Empire....

In fact you probably would have spotted the flying undead Dragons about the place.

Chilingsworth
2013-10-22, 09:33 PM
Hmm, guess I know what the next act of Phi's quest will be: escorting refugees (or robbing them, or returning to the Grove, I suppose.)

Baveboi
2013-10-22, 09:37 PM
Well, since I didn't spot **** I will attribute it to fatigue, and then exhaustion, because of the forced march we did.
Oh chill, no worries there. *pat pat* At least you can give quests. All I can do is be bossy to a bunch of low-levels and be teleported about.

Erik Vale
2013-10-23, 01:34 AM
OOC: Sorry, didn't know about the flying undead. Far as I know Drack's sending you a link to continue on with now your heading towards one of the towns, however if you want I can drop a IC post for the way to before passing the ball...
In fact, I will.

IC:
The men seem somewhat disheartened by the you look, but the way you ride the scorpion makes some want to cheer, making it a awkward meeting back at camp, where you spend a hour or so planning your next move before you turn in for the night.

The next day greats you early, the sun seems to rise a little late but such things happen when you travel a lot, however as you return to your weary march one of the men from the back ranks cries out.
"DRAGON!"

Almost the entire formation breaks up, scattering as they look to the sky, to see a huge shape fly behind and away from them, no one has been watching the sky in particular, but now everyone has a healthy urge to move quickly and keep constant watch as you head towards the northern forests.

Gaiyamato
2013-10-23, 02:21 AM
He has already moved on (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=310252) into the encounter with Drack in the swamp now dude.

Baveboi
2013-10-23, 12:32 PM
Yeah, but that does gives us a better reason to stay inside that nightmarish forest that drack has been nurturing. Seriously, the thing would scare Alice, the Hatter and the Hare!

drack
2013-10-24, 01:07 PM
Yeah, but that does gives us a better reason to stay inside that nightmarish forest that drack has been nurturing. Seriously, the thing would scare Alice, the Hatter and the Hare!

Hmm? :smalltongue: I haven't the slightest clue what you mean.

Also paging through it I don't see anything too terrible happening to you. :smalltongue:

Baveboi
2013-10-24, 01:20 PM
Hmm? :smalltongue: I haven't the slightest clue what you mean.

Also paging through it I don't see anything too terrible happening to you. :smalltongue:

Really? Rotten jungle, heavy and wet weather, cold as bricks, no wood for a fireplace that isn't rotten or dank, no game or food. That is the worst nightmare of a scouting party.

drack
2013-10-24, 01:27 PM
Scouts learn to live off the land. Eating bugs and such. They aren't limited to eating the prime food that everyone else seems to need. :smallconfused:
(the spiced maggots are the local bread n' butter)

Baveboi
2013-10-24, 01:36 PM
Yeah, but these guys are refugees made soldiers. They are not veteran scouts like Razak's party of Wreckers, they just became a unit of scouts out of necessity. Scorpiox on the other hand was enjoying himself...

I just think it was far too much scare for a first encounter with a nation that wasn't the DE or their beloved and peaceful Vale.

drack
2013-10-24, 01:40 PM
But they haven't even really entered yet. :smallbiggrin:

Baveboi
2013-10-24, 01:43 PM
And how is that less of a scary nightmare?! That aside, if I was playing my normal characters (the barbarians and arcanists I often go for), this place would be just a walk in the park for them.

drack
2013-10-24, 01:44 PM
Perhaps, perhaps not. Mine is a highly civilized nation with a complex set of customs which are followed as well as any law might be. Better we have armies in all our cities to enforce these traditions be continued. :smallbiggrin:

Gaiyamato
2013-10-24, 07:54 PM
There is edible food and drinkable water and warm places to rest for the living.
Just that you need to adjust your sensibilities to the different... style.

drack
2013-10-24, 08:00 PM
Well... warm is debatable, but yeah. It's good living :smallbiggrin: Certainly not like it is our there in the wild.

Baveboi
2013-10-24, 08:10 PM
Depends on PoV.
Compare this patch of mud with the darkly beauties of Deep Imaskar; Imagine basking in the warm and welcoming light of it's artificial sun; Imagine growing water plants that give you a sweet nectar that is enough to refresh and give life; Imagine the most delicious vegetables and fruits you can think of, so alien they are to your tongue you would be lost at words to describe it's tastes; Imagine that every child of every age, every adult, every elderly, have perfect health and ostentatious wealth, needing not lift a finger throughout the day; A world where violence is near-nonexistent to the point every civilian have never had their rights questioned.
That is Imaskar (http://2photo.ru/uploads/posts/1/20070409/mark_goerner/54_mark_goerner.jpg).

Now look at this puddle of mud you call home, drack.

drack
2013-10-24, 08:14 PM
I get this feeling that my people would find your world as repulsive as you find theirs. :smalltongue: Mind you though, you have yet to actually enter :smallwink: