PDA

View Full Version : How would you use Incantatrix, for this houserule?

killem2
2013-10-16, 09:20 AM
So because the party I am in has no magic users other than a Paladin (enforcer variant dragon 310), I asked if I could create a formula that could be used with the two Psionic Warriors and Psion we have in the party.

DC= 18 + (3 x (Metamagic Increase + total power points spent))

What would you do? What would you watch for?

supermonkeyjoe
2013-10-16, 09:46 AM
So because the party I am in has no magic users other than a Paladin (enforcer variant dragon 310), I asked if I could create a formula that could be used with the two Psionic Warriors and Psion we have in the party.

DC= 18 + (3 x (Metamagic Increase + total power points spent))

What would you do? What would you watch for?

I'm a bit confused by this question, DC for what? formula for what? Are you playing the Incantrix?

Boci
2013-10-16, 09:50 AM
I imagine its a formula for the spellcraft DC that the Incantatrix normally uses to ignore the spell level increase of MM.

Studoku
2013-10-16, 09:56 AM
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to ask.

Are you trying to houserule allowing Incantatrix for the psionic characters? If so, why? Incantatrix is widely considered to be among the strongest and most game-breaking prestige classes in the game since it allows players to ignore the metamagic system by pumping a skill to absurd levels (which is not difficult).

It also seems completely unnecessary as the metapsionic system is fairly good.

killem2
2013-10-16, 11:33 AM
I'll try to explain further.

My dm is allowing me, to apply the meta magic feats I know, just as you would to the arcane/divine side of things, to psionic abilities, with the above formula change when using it on psionic abilities.

My dm also has a very strong over lap of psionic and arcane abilities, more so than the normal overlap.

I originally built this guy when we actually had a wizard already in the party so it would have made for an interesting tag team, well that wizard can not attend anymore :smallfrown: so it was just me.

So, as an example here, our Psion wants to manifest (she is level 5 right now) a 5 point crystal shard and I want to twin spell it.

I would have to make a spellcraft dc of 18 + 3 * (4 [twin spell slot increase] + 5 [points spent to cast an augmented crystal shard]).

Which is 18 + (3 x 9) = 45 spell craft check to make that happen.

All I'm asking is, with this in place, what would you do with it. I don't really care about opinions on brokenness or silliness, or anything like that, this wizard I built is a highly tuned team player. I've already 24 hour'd an expansion and a inertial armor to both players awesome delight.

Studoku
2013-10-16, 02:56 PM
The same thing we do every time we get free metamagic. Persist spell on everything ever.

Is there a penalty for failing the check?

killem2
2013-10-16, 03:29 PM
The same thing we do every time we get free metamagic. Persist spell on everything ever.

Is there a penalty for failing the check?

no penalty you burn your action for the turn though :(