PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder monk build help

IamL
2013-10-16, 09:40 AM
I'm playing a monk in a PF campaign, and I can re-spec it a bit, if need be. A few house rules/things to be aware of:
1. Rolled stats (I rolled a 16, 15, 15, 14, 13, and 11).
2. Flurry of Blows is a standard action, not a full-round one.
3. I get a ki pool via vows, so I can spend ki points even though I'm not level three (for drunken master) or level four (for normal monk.)
4. GM let me port Vow of Poverty over from 3.5, without the bonus feats, plus I get the bonus ki points.
5. Not really relevant, but we're using the Giant's diplomacy.
6. Guided Hand works for a monk to add Wisdom to attack rolls for unarmed strike instead of Strength.
7. My friend's PC is playing a bard/alchemist.
8. We're not using CMB or CMD; instead, we're using the D&D system for that.
Here's (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=670776) what I've got so far.

Please advise.

Psyren
2013-10-16, 09:55 AM
- Vow of Poverty is a trap, even the 3.5 version. Items are always better. The only reason to take VoP is if you are being ascetic anyway and simply don't want to totally suck. (In which case you will still suck, just less.)

- Drunken Master is... pretty terrible. You get a tiny amount of extra damage on one attack, a tiny amount of DR, fear immunity way too late, and a breath weapon also way too late. The only good ability is the swift-action shifting around, and even then you can get better uses for your swift from ki abilities or items.

- Look into Style Feats, especially Monkey Style and Crane Style. No need for Master of Many Styles though, since you have standard action flurry I would keep that.

- Your best bet since you are Wis-SAD is Qinggong. This goes treble if you decide to stick with VoP anyway.

EDIT: I would also swap the 13 into Int and the 15 into Con.

IamL
2013-10-16, 10:08 AM
- Vow of Poverty is a trap, even the 3.5 version. Items are always better. The only reason to take VoP is if you are being ascetic anyway and simply don't want to totally suck. (In which case you will still suck, just less.)

- Drunken Master is... pretty terrible. You get a tiny amount of extra damage on one attack, a tiny amount of DR, fear immunity way too late, and a breath weapon also way too late. The only good ability is the swift-action shifting around, and even then you can get better uses for your swift from ki abilities or items.

- Look into Style Feats, especially Monkey Style and Crane Style. No need for Master of Many Styles though, since you have standard action flurry I would keep that.

- Your best bet since you are Wis-SAD is Qinggong. This goes treble if you decide to stick with VoP anyway.

EDIT: I would also swap the 13 into Int and the 15 into Con.
Thanks!
1. Yeah, I kinda understand the VoP trap. I just can't get past the flavor. Also, I love the contradictory, paradoxical theme. And it won't take a feat this time.
2. If I put my stat bonuses from VoP into Constitution, I can take Swift Drinker and Deep Drinker to synergize really well into Quinggong. (nearly unlimited powers.)
3. Thanks for the style feat advice.
4. Quinggong is really good. Thanks for advising it.

Psyren
2013-10-16, 10:17 AM
But alcohol costs money. How are you going to use it with Vow of Poverty?

EDIT: You have Vow of Fasting too - "drinks nothing but water" kind of opposes your concept as well.

EDIT2: 3.5 Vow of Poverty costs two feats. Or are you simply taking PF VoP, and rolling the benefits of the 3.5 version in?

IamL
2013-10-16, 06:18 PM
But alcohol costs money. How are you going to use it with Vow of Poverty?

EDIT: You have Vow of Fasting too - "drinks nothing but water" kind of opposes your concept as well.

EDIT2: 3.5 Vow of Poverty costs two feats. Or are you simply taking PF VoP, and rolling the benefits of the 3.5 version in?

1. Ranks in Craft (rice wine). Also, my character is currently living in a communistic society in which I can pretty much get all the rice I want as long as I keep the village protected. The climactic fight of this mini-arc will be against 2 or 3 dozen level 5-7 lycanthropes. I will most likely die. :smallsmile: of course, if by some miracle our cheap, dirty abuse of the rules will beat superior levels and numbers, we'll get a **** ton of XP.
2. DM house ruled I could eat and drink only that which is distiller from rice. Ergo, rice wine.
3.PF VoP, benefits rolled in.